Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Hog: Jalen Harris

Started by Hawg Red, April 28, 2017, 10:52:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

For those of you that do not venture to the bball recruiting forum, the Hogs picked up New Mexico Lobos PG transfer Jalen Harris tonight. Committed on his visit. Will sit out this season and have 3 to play.

Pig in the Pokey

beast. sick handles. underrated. will be three years older than this tape when he sees the court for us, so... eeeee

http://247sports.com/Video/Jalen-Harris-Underrated-PG-with-HANDLES-H-3524170?View=Full
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Danny J

HossHog

I REALLY hope he proves me wrong but I can't say I'm particularly impressed with his numbers. Again I hope he proves me wrong and maybe we have a system he can thrive in.

Hawg Red

April 28, 2017, 11:33:41 pm #4 Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:31:24 am by Hawg Red
Quote from: HossHog on April 28, 2017, 11:27:57 pm
I REALLY hope he proves me wrong but I can't say I'm particularly impressed with his numbers. Again I hope he proves me wrong and maybe we have a system he can thrive in.

The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight leash and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.

batmanfan

He is a Hog now, let's hope for the best!
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

The_Iceman

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 28, 2017, 11:33:41 pm
The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight lease and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.

Agreed. Also interesting Weir, new UNM coach, plans to run an uptempo motion offense/press like MA's.

Excited to see how Harris pans out. Glad he's a hog, lots of potential.

King Kong

Quote from: JimDandy on April 29, 2017, 12:49:26 am
Agreed. Also interesting Weir, new UNM coach, plans to run an uptempo motion offense/press like MA's.

Yeah, I read he was considering going back

Jackrabbit Hog

They said he also had Jalen on a really tight lease and wouldn't let him open up offensively.

Perhaps he should have just stayed in a dorm.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Razorpigg

Hawg Red

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Razorpigg on April 29, 2017, 08:29:04 am
Kid is definitely very talented. Look at those handles!

Haven't watched anything like that since Reid and Fortson.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hogs run wild

Wonder why none of the the Carolina schools wanted him. Maybe just wanted out of state...
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

NoogaHog

Holy RAMS! That is a pretty video. Does remind me of Fortson and Reid, but longer, right? The height on some of those blocks were as impressive as some of the passes.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

1hawgballer2

Quote from: Hogs run wild on April 29, 2017, 10:35:13 am
Wonder why none of the the Carolina schools wanted him. Maybe just wanted out of state...

Response: Regarding this young man from the film clips I've seen clearly displays his skills sets as a true PG, he is not a combo guard. Harris appears to be fast/quick and has a good handle with the dribble of the basketball he's able to break down defenses for assists or baskets.

The Hogfather

This is GREAT news.  If Macon and Barford come back, Razorback basketball has the chance to have sustained success for years to come.

TheRazorback500

Nice pickup. WPS!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

poloprince

The consensus among Lobo fans (according to a message board I read) was that Craig Neal (who was actually fired AFTER Jalen asked for his release) held not only Jalen but several players back. They said he also had Jalen on a really tight leash and wouldn't let him open up offensively. Would pull him if he shoot "too much" (Jalen only averaged 3 FGA per game despite playing over 20 MPG and starting 18 games). They're excited that the new coach plays a faster style and they though Jalen would thrive under this new coach. I think all this context matters here, and helps explain why Jalen wanted to leave.

He will definitely get more than 3 field goal attempts per game in 2018.
$PoLoPrInCe$

rzrbackramsfan

When was the last time we had someone with handles like this?

FineAsSwine

Love this commitment! Welcome aboard!!!
Hogs up! Covid down!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 29, 2017, 04:42:41 pm
When was the last time we had someone with handles like this?

Fortson.

younghog

Dude has made skills and superb vision..

Can't wait to see him play..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on April 29, 2017, 03:02:51 pm
He will definitely get more than 3 field goal attempts per game in 2018.

Without question.

For context, the only Razorbacks on this year's team to attempt 3 FG/game or less: Arlando Cook (2.47 FGA/game in 11.3 MPG), C.J. Jones (1.7 FGA/game in 6 MPG), Trey Thompson (1.5 FGA/game in 14 MPG), and Adrio Bailey (1.44 FGA/game in 7.4 MPG). Harris averaged 20.6 MPG, that would have put him in the Anton Beard/Manny Watkins range of minutes on this year's team. Those players averaged 4.6 and 5.9 FGA/game, respectively. How much different would the perception of this kid be if he had averaged 6-7 PPG as a freshman? I won't be surprised when this kid averages 6-9 PPG as a redshirt sophomore in an offense that actually encourages shot attempts.

outlawhogeywells

wonder if we are done?  Since he can't play till 2018 do we still go after a transfer

Hawg Red

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on May 01, 2017, 11:47:28 am
wonder if we are done?  Since he can't play till 2018 do we still go after a transfer

No spots open at present unless Barford and/or Macon decide to go pro.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2017, 02:19:11 pm
This is GREAT news.  If Macon and Barford come back, Razorback basketball has the chance to have sustained success for years to come.

They would never have the opportunity to play together, correct?

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 01, 2017, 11:58:05 am

Right. But I don't think he's saying he will be able to play this year. "Sustained success" probably is not possible without Barford and Macon coming back, and adding a player who will have a year in the system once eligible helps offset losing 6 seniors after this coming season (assuming we actually have 6 seniors, that is).

The Hogfather

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 01, 2017, 11:58:05 am

Correct.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 12:12:09 pm
Right. But I don't think he's saying he will be able to play this year. "Sustained success" probably is not possible without Barford and Macon coming back, and adding a player who will have a year in the system once eligible helps offset losing 6 seniors after this coming season (assuming we actually have 6 seniors, that is).

Egg Zachary.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 12:12:09 pm

Gotcha and agree

HawgnCorona

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 29, 2017, 10:31:12 am
Haven't watched anything like that since Reid and Fortson.

He reminds me of Steph Curry and Allen Iverson wth his ball skills. Don't fooled by the production his freshman yr. Cant wait for him to lace them up us.

IMO, he is the best of all the PGs we have looked at, lately.

Kudos to the staff.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgnCorona on May 01, 2017, 08:59:16 pm
He reminds me of Steph Curry and Allen Iverson wth his ball skills. Don't fooled by the production his freshman yr. Cant wait for him to lace them up us.

IMO, he is the best of all the PGs we have looked at, lately.

Kudos to the staff.

Mine too, and I felt that way while the others were in play.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

There is going to be some very exciting moments when Harris, Gafford, Perry, Garland, Jones, Bailey, Sills, Hall, and Joe are all on the same team. I'm seeing some deadly small-ball potential. I see us playing faster in the coming seasons. Slowly but surely we're seeing Hawg Ball return.