Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could we have gone to the Final Four this year?

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 26, 2017, 07:22:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

If the North Carolina game would have went like it was supposed to go, could we have beaten Butler and Kentucky?

Nothing this year indicates we could beat Kentucky. But I would have liked to give a shot.

hogwood

I'm glad we lost to UNC instead of KY. Talk about heartbreaking.

But yeah, I think in some other regions we would have a chance. It's all about matchups.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TNhawgfan

We could have beat butler with a good game. KY is a different story. Fox is the best player on the court, monk is always fired up to play us, and we have no one to stop bam
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: hogwood on March 26, 2017, 07:37:18 am
I'm glad we lost to UNC instead of KY. Talk about heartbreaking.

But yeah, I think in some other regions we would have a chance. It's all about matchups.

I would have been okay splitting the difference--beating North Carolina and losing to Butler.

Buff

Elite 8.  Crazy to think we were that close.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 26, 2017, 08:30:26 am
We could have beat butler with a good game. KY is a different story. Fox is the best player on the court, monk is always fired up to play us, and we have no one to stop bam
Agree.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PORKULATOR

We could definitely play Ucky for it. We would be the UNC replacement.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

passinghog

Depends on the draw. Beat UNC and we'd be playing for a chance

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 26, 2017, 03:49:45 pm
Depends on the draw. Beat UNC and we'd be playing for a chance
We was until the refs took over.

I don't get to see much SEC basketball but what I did see throughout the season was bad to just above average BB.  Conference wide we were not very good.  BUT conference wide, we all got better throughout the season.  You do not have 3 SEC teams in the Elite 8 for that not to be true.  One talking head mentioned that the SEC was an overall young group that continued to get better all season long.  That appears to be true.  I hope we get 2 teams in the Final 4.  I often am critical of our Hogs and the Coaching but we were one of the teams that got better.  We did well in the tourney.  Getting to play a team like UNC and staying very close was a win for this program.  The SEC sort of took its place among the Basketball Elite this year and its been a very long time since we could say that.  I hope especially the Hogs can build on this past season because I expect the other teams will.  I doubt we could have reached the Final 4 this season but look at how much we actually did do.  Its certainly a good start.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Karma on March 26, 2017, 07:26:56 am
Nothing this year indicates we could beat Kentucky. But I would have liked to give a shot.

I guess you missed the two Carolina games.

We played Kentucky well at Rupp for a half.

In the SEC tournament, the refs took that game over at the 6 minute mark of the first half or who knows what could have happened.

upperdeck_hawg

Our best shot would have been to be in Novas region. NC and especially KY have our number.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

The_Iceman

What if we would have gotten South Carolina's 7-seed, like we should have?

King Kong

rljjr

Absolutely could have. Just have to get hot. Look at SC-East. Not a great team. Limped into the tourney. I thought they would get run by Marquette based on how they ended the season. Look at them now. They found their stride. We would have beaten Butler. Kentucky? 50/50, but it is possible. Looking forward to next year.

Sharky

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 26, 2017, 04:15:09 pm

In the SEC tournament, the refs took that game over at the 6 minute mark of the first half or who knows what could have happened.

It's always the refs if we lose, talent if we win. I think the refs have been fine.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sharky on March 26, 2017, 06:32:51 pm
It's always the refs if we lose, talent if we win. I think the refs have been fine.

Troll alert

rhames

The real irony here is that monk went to Kentucky to win a championship

Loses to the same team we did.

He comes to Arkansas I believe we are in the final four.

Sad
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

WorfHog

Quote from: rhames on March 26, 2017, 06:37:44 pm

Sad

It is sad.

Rawker

Quote from: Karma on March 26, 2017, 07:26:56 am

Something indeed does, in that no one gave us a shot against NC, and without the tremendous screw job, that was our game.  So I believe we would have figured it out against KY.  We were ONE CLEAN STEAL called foul away from beating the crap out of Butler and having a real shot at moving beyond KY.  Sure....it's a shoulda-woulda-coulda.  But it shoulda if the refs woulda, and then it coulda.

Part of your proof of us beating UK is a 27 point loss to them this season? And then we lost by 17. But sure, we had them on the run.

wachhog

A walk-on beating Cocky Cal and all his 5*'OAD's is what makes  college basketball worth watching.,b

JONAS

I think had the Hogs held on to beat UNC that they would have beaten Butler.  I do not think they would have beaten UK.  Anyway, I would have loved to have made the Elite Eight.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2017, 04:34:04 pm
then, yes, Final Four caliber squad.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

LRHawg

No. But in a different region we might have gone deeper. Kudos to USCeast for getting hot at the right time.

pigmailyen

Quote from: rljjr on March 26, 2017, 04:54:10 pm
Absolutely could have. Kentucky? 50/50, but it is possible. 

50/50?  You must've missed the part where they beat us twice this season by an average of 21.5 points.

LZH

If we had a true point guard...a Corey Beck-type slap you in the face/get into your shorts kind of PG, then yeah, who knows what could have happened vs. Butler, UK, and off we go.....

HossHog

what makes you think the refs would have been any different the third time?

HossHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 26, 2017, 11:01:07 pm
then, yes, Final Four caliber squad.
I think it is fair to say that Florida has our number as well

code red

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 26, 2017, 07:22:48 am
If the North Carolina game would have went like it was supposed to go, could we have beaten Butler and Kentucky?
No.  Because we didn't.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MountieDawg

Quote from: rhames on March 26, 2017, 06:37:44 pm

Sad

Hilarious with all the post that say Monk sucks and is over rated and the other post that say if he was here the Hogs would have made it to the Final Four or won a NC.  Can it be both ways?
SEC!

Biggus Piggus

Surely Monk has to realize that he gave up being a forever-hero for his home-state school, and what did he get? Monk will be a forgotten, one-year Kentucky player who failed in the minds of their entire fan base. He gets nothing for that for the rest of his life.

Great business decision. Just great.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2017, 04:34:04 pm

Don't lose to MSU at home or MIzzu ANYWHERE and the Hogs get a 7 seed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

We tied South Carolina at 12-6 in the SEC regular season. We went further in the SECT. We were 8-2 in our last 10 games before the NCAAT compared with South Carolina's 4-6. We beat them at their place in mid-February.

What more did the Razorbacks have to do, to prove they were better than South Carolina? Frank.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

[/quot

We will never know thanks to the Zebra crew that called the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg Red

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 27, 2017, 08:49:42 am
[/quot

We will never know thanks to the Zebra crew that called the game.

Went like it was SUPPOSED to go? You mean the out come was predetermine for the Hogs to win, but then someone pulled a double cross?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 27, 2017, 08:46:54 am
We tied South Carolina at 12-6 in the SEC regular season. We went further in the SECT. We were 8-2 in our last 10 games before the NCAAT compared with South Carolina's 4-6. We beat them at their place in mid-February.

What more did the Razorbacks have to do, to prove they were better than South Carolina? Frank.

Insert hog sanity post here