Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: TE Jamario Bell

Started by NotSoFastMyFriend, March 24, 2017, 01:28:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Bell has been working out at J.J. Meadors' sports performance center over spring break.
https://twitter.com/JayMeadors/status/845040562617094146

RagingHawgOn

I expect big things from him.

WPS!

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Seebs on March 24, 2017, 01:45:10 pm
;)Which on is JJ?

Neither, they both got balls in their hand. 😏

onebadrubi

That is the kind of dedication I think Bielema will make note of. 

goodguytex

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2017, 10:02:03 pm
That is the kind of dedication I think Bielema will make note of.
Hopefully it pays off for Bell this fall.

greenEGnHAWGS

Will be fun watching him and Cantrell lining up on opposite sides.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

presidenthog

onebadrubi

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 26, 2017, 01:39:49 pm
Still wish he were on defense

I agree.  he just seems like he has the size and speed to be a wrecker

hawganatic

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 26, 2017, 07:34:53 pm
People seem to believe he doesn't have the agressiveness for defense.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 26, 2017, 01:39:49 pm
Still wish he were on defense
This, we have enough young TE's. Not enough young OLB's. Especially not with his combination of size and athleticism.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hvsupastar

He wasn't a great defensive player in high school.  I never expected him to make it as a defender in the SEC
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hogsfan31

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 24, 2017, 02:34:08 pm
I thought Bell would be taller.

Maybe you can't tell in the photo, but the kid is Huge in person

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 30, 2017, 10:13:32 am
He wasn't a great defensive player in high school.  I never expected him to make it as a defender in the SEC
What Jamario Bell were you watching in high school? He was a man amongst boys on both defense and offense.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsfan31 on March 30, 2017, 11:52:55 am
Maybe you can't tell in the photo, but the kid is Huge in person

Fair enough, but man, I sure we we had the guy in the tank top and razorback gym shorts on our team. If Bell is big in person, that guy must be huge.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogWildBison2011

I'm pretty sure that's JJ. Wasn't he 5'6?

nwahogfan1

Must not have that defensive personality to be that wrecker or he would be over there. Right now I am not even convinced he has the offensive personality to be a TE.  He may have to speed up and be a H back catching balls across the middle.

Pork Twain

The mental makeup to be a defensive player vs offensive can be all the difference.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hvsupastar

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 01:37:03 pm
What Jamario Bell were you watching in high school? He was a man amongst boys on both defense and offense.

Nope.  He was probably the 10th or 11th best defender on his high school team.  Good pass rush, great vs the sweeps, but struggled with run right at him.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 31, 2017, 08:06:25 am
Nope.  He was probably the 10th or 11th best defender on his high school team.  Good pass rush, great vs the sweeps, but struggled with run right at him.
10th or 11th best defender on his team ???. Not sure if serious. Ok, if you say so ::). I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 31, 2017, 06:08:14 am
Must not have that defensive personality to be that wrecker or he would be over there. Right now I am not even convinced he has the offensive personality to be a TE.  He may have to speed up and be a H back catching balls across the middle.
Are you one of those "The coaches always right" type of people? I think we seen some times over the years where the coaches or a coach actually was wrong at times. Examples: Drew Morgan and Johnny Gibson. Just saying. Carry on then...

hvsupastar

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 02:03:37 pm
10th or 11th best defender on his team ???. Not sure if serious. Ok, if you say so ::). I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Did you watch his team play?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 03, 2017, 02:14:08 pm
Did you watch his team play?
Yep, I sure did. I live in South Arkansas. I think 10th or 11th best is a stretch don't you? Could that be a bit of exaggeration?

lakecityhog

So we offered a scholarship to the 10th or 11th best defender on a HS team???
If that is true we have way more serious problems to deal with!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 03, 2017, 02:28:51 pm
So we offered a scholarship to the 10th or 11th best defender on a HS team???
If that is true we have way more serious problems to deal with!
Exactly, doesn't make sense to you either huh? Not to mention the school was a 2A school named Junction City. That must have been a SUPER talented defense ;D! I'm assuming they could have beaten Fayetteville or Bentonville when he was in high school.

NotSoFastMyFriend

1) Log off
2) Don't log back on
3) See #2

Youngsta71701

Your avatar best describes the way I feel about this comment. See avatar.

HogHomer

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 02:06:22 pm
Are you one of those "The coaches always right" type of people? I think we seen some times over the years where the coaches or a coach actually was wrong at times. Examples: Drew Morgan and Johnny Gibson. Just saying. Carry on then...
Drew Morgan and Gibson aren't great examples. Drew Morgan was an inconsistent player in practice his first two summers here. We had experience and players who practiced better than him. However when we got injuries and he was pushed to a starting roll he also pushed himself to be consistent every practice solidifying the coaches trust in him.

Gibsons was much of the same. Bielema always praised him before he got on the field but said he needed to be more consistent in practice. Also condition was an issue when he first got here. As is with most high school coming into a D-1 program.

Coaches are going to play the players who are consistently best in practice the ones who they feel they can trust on Saturdays.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogHomer on April 03, 2017, 03:44:33 pm
Coaches are going to play the players who are consistently best in practice the ones who they feel they can trust on Saturdays.
Agreed, however some players are just gamers. Matt Jones sucked in practice by all accounts but was an awesome in game player.

HogHomer

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 04:08:08 pm
Agreed, however some players are just gamers. Matt Jones sucked in practice by all accounts but was an awesome in game player.
There's a fine line of being inconsistent in practice and not taking practice seriously. Matt Jones is one of the best athletes to come through here. However he was just bored in practice. It is difficult to determine if a guy that has great potential but just doesn't get it in practice is a gamer or not.

We can't expect our coaches to put a player out there they don't fully trust just on the hunch that he's a gamer.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogHomer on April 03, 2017, 04:12:36 pm
There's a fine line of being inconsistent in practice and not taking practice seriously. Matt Jones is one of the best athletes to come through here. However he was just bored in practice. It is difficult to determine if a guy that has great potential but just doesn't get it in practice is a gamer or not.
Agreed, but like I said some players just aren't good practice players rather they are bored or not. For some reason the lights come on during a game for some players. Don't know exactly why that is the case but it happens.

HogHomer

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 04:14:38 pm
Agreed, but like I said some players just aren't good practice players rather they are bored or not. For some reason the lights come on during a game for some players. Don't know exactly why that is the case but it happens.
I edited my post before I saw this reply as I kinda touched on this. How do we expect the coaches to play those types of players if all they see is an inconsistent practice player? Do they just play them and hope they are a gamer? At what point will fans get mad at all the unprepared players playing?

bennyl08

April 03, 2017, 04:47:36 pm #36 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:40:23 pm by bennyl08
Quote from: HogHomer on April 03, 2017, 04:17:52 pm
I edited my post before I saw this reply as I kinda touched on this. How do we expect the coaches to play those types of players if all they see is an inconsistent practice player? Do they just play them and hope they are a gamer? At what point will fans get mad at all the unprepared players playing?

You don't.

There are two components to the game, mental and physical. Two good examples of this are Drew Morgan and Dominique Reed. Morgan has the edge on the mental part of the game, working hard on technique, fundamentals with crisp route running, knowing the scheme, etc... Reed has the physical edge with first round pick athleticism. However, while Morgan isn't the best athlete out there, his athleticism isn't terrible. It's pretty solid, just not amazing. Reed, otoh, didn't put in the mental strength to force himself to work out more and build mass, understand the offense so he can line up and run the correct routes, put time in to become a more consistent catcher of the ball.

Therefore, morgan's overall ability was higher than that of Reeds and he played more and had more success.

People hear "bad practicer" and assume one thing when that isn't necessarily the case. Matt Jones wasn't out there throwing lame duck passes and running in molasses just to turn it on for gameday. Morgan wasn't finger painting out there until injuries came in and forced Drew to play.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Allhawgdawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 03, 2017, 04:47:36 pm
You don't.

There are two components to the game, mental and physical. Two good examples of this are Drew Morgan and Dominique Reed. Morgan has the edge on the mental part of the game, working hard on technique, fundamentals with crisp route running, knowing the scheme, etc... Reed has the physical edge with first round pick athleticism. However, while Morgan isn't the best athlete out there, his athleticism isn't terrible. It's pretty solid, just not amazing. Reed, otoh, didn't put in the mental strength to force himself to work out more and build mass, understand the offense so he can line up and run the correct routes, put time in to become a more consistent catcher of the ball.

Therefore, morgan's overall ability was higher than that of Reeds and he played more and had more success.

People here "bad practicer" and assume one thing when that isn't necessarily the case. Matt Jones wasn't out there throwing lame duck passes and running in molasses just to turn it on for gameday. Morgan wasn't finger painting out there until injuries came in and forced Drew to play.

That's a great comparison. But man it would be a disappointment if he can't get it together at some point in his career. He was my favorite player in that class and thought he had the highest potential. Then you heard he didn't have the "mentality" to play defense which was strange because you have to have a similar type of mentality to be a all around TE. Hopefully he figures it out cause the sky is the limit for this kid.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogHomer on April 03, 2017, 04:17:52 pm
You don't. Most of the times it happens because of injury in front of them, by attrition, or on a need or have to basis. In other words it's your only option or the only option you have left.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 02:06:22 pm
I don't think anyone is ever ALWAYS right, but I do think the coaches that are close to the players and know them personally and also work them in practice, will generally know the players capability than we do.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 04, 2017, 09:23:20 am
I don't think anyone is ever ALWAYS right, but I do think the coaches that are close to the players and know them personally and also work them in practice, will generally know the players capability than we do.
Best political answer of the year.

hawganatic

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 03, 2017, 04:14:38 pm

So how do you know this is the case with Morgan, opposed to him developing into the player he became?  I don't understand this thought process that a player in years 3 and 4 is the same player he was in years 1 and 2.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawganatic on April 04, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
So how do you know this is the case with Morgan, opposed to him developing into the player he became?  I don't understand this thought process that a player in years 3 and 4 is the same player he was in years 1 and 2.
Don't know. But what I do know is that Drew Morgan was not at the top of the depth chart until those injuries started to occur. I also believe that players should get better every year. If not something's wrong.

bennyl08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 04, 2017, 03:10:27 pm
Don't know. But what I do know is that Drew Morgan was not at the top of the depth chart until those injuries started to occur. I also believe that players should get better every year. If not something's wrong.

When those players were healthy, Cornelius and Hatcher were both above him even after his 2015 season. Hollister's pro day certainly hints at why coaches gave him several chances.

daBoar

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 04, 2017, 06:27:51 pm
When those players were healthy, Cornelius and Hatcher were both above him even after his 2015 season. Hollister's pro day certainly hints at why coaches gave him several chances.
Where do you get that stuff.  Drew was the best possession receiver the Hogs have had since Shibest.

bennyl08

Quote from: daBoar on April 04, 2017, 07:52:55 pm
Where do you get that stuff.  Drew was the best possession receiver the Hogs have had since Shibest.

I get this stuff from watching the games and listening to the coaches and a knowledge of football. I don't disagree that Morgan was our best possession receiver and was a great stick mover. You act like my statement and yours are somehow mutually exclusive.

Hatcher had more yards and more td's. Typically the primary receiver. Cornelius was big for us in october, but based on his drop in production (309 yards in october to 50 yards in november, nothing in the bowl game) somewhere an injury had to have happened. He didn't do as well in september as he is more of a big play receiver and the pass blocking didn't really arrive until october where he showed out against Bama. 3 straight 100 yard games from the aggies through bama, then not topping 40 yards after that.

Back on topic of the side topic we are on, Morgan had a lot of receptions, but not a lot of yards per reception, nor a lot of td's. He was the benefit of being the slot receiver most of the time with defenses keying in on Hatcher in the receiving game. Doesn't take anything away from Morgan. Without his production, we don't win a lot of the games we did. However, he wasn't some transcendent player who was forced to sit behind players who were worse than he was.

Carl Lazlo

Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Wapner!