Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016-17 SEC OC Shuffle

Started by jbcarol, December 12, 2016, 10:33:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 20m20 minutes ago

Am told Nick Saban is expected to consider in-house candidates for #Alabama OC job: Sark, Mike Locksley & Billy Napier.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 13m13 minutes ago

#Pitt's Matt Canada, the only OC who was a finalist for Broyles Award, is expected to meet w/ #LSU tomorrow. Would be a huge get for Tigers
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on December 12, 2016, 10:33:22 am
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 20m20 minutes ago

Am told Nick Saban is expected to consider in-house candidates for #Alabama OC job: Sark, Mike Locksley & Billy Napier.

Mike Locksley. Good grief. I thought Saban was a lot smarter than that! I'd rather have a stone faced drunk in Sark than him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Chuck Rounsaville ‏@SpiritChuck Dec 11

Hearing from real good source Sterlin Gilbert and Sonnie Cumbie either already been talked to or occurring real soon today for OC job.

Later this week expect Chip Long and Phil Longo to meet/talk with Freeze about the OC job at Ole Miss.

Freeze is also taking into consideration Matt Luke as OC and bringing in a QB coach to assist. ...and other options. This deal is wide open.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/808399993354731520

Don't let the photo fool you.

QuoteOrgeron has long known that Kiffin was likely to become a head coach and has been ready for such a time as this:

Pitt offensive coordinator Matt Canada,

Alabama offensive analyst Steve Sarkisian

and recently fired Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 3m3 minutes ago

Coaching rumors: LSU and Pittsburgh OC Matt Canada closing in on a deal http://sptz.us/2hLecKs

Hogwild

Quote from: jbcarol on December 13, 2016, 06:11:20 pm
Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 3m3 minutes ago

Coaching rumors: LSU and Pittsburgh OC Matt Canada closing in on a deal http://sptz.us/2hLecKs

It is official they hired Canada

holeinthewall

Great hire by LSU   Pitt scored on everyone.

jbcarol

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2016, 10:40:02 am
Mike Locksley. Good grief. I thought Saban was a lot smarter than that! I'd rather have a stone faced drunk in Sark than him.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809507512118636548

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809834461768613888

QuoteDavis Potter of the Oxford Eagle: Longo's deal is two-years in length and will pay him $600,000 a year. That is what Auburn paid its offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee this year. Longo's salary will jump up to $700,000 in his second year.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Scarbinsky ‏@KevinScarbinsky Jan 3

Saban shoots down Kiffin's thought that he may be in the press box against Clemson. Another failure to communicate between them.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819710178199269376

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/819939070210179072

QuoteWith the departure of longtime assistant Rhett Lashlee to Connecticut, Malzahn has reached a crossroads in his career. Does he re-claim control of Auburn's offense by bringing in a like-minded coordinator or does he turn things over to his new hire and become more of a CEO?

The former seems more plausible, except that's what got Malzahn on the hot seat in the first place. The latter goes against the reason Auburn hired Malzahn in 2013.

Make no mistake, Malzahn got the Auburn job because of his bona fides as an offensive guru, with the belief that his offense would revolutionize the SEC. He certainly wasn't hired because he was proven at building and running an organization (like Nick Saban) or because he had a reputation as a great recruiter (like Ed Orgeron) or because he was a high-energy salesman who would preach the Auburn gospel to the masses (like Dabo Swinney).

No, Malzahn was hired because he had a reputation as an offensive genius, and it paid off, for about a year-and-a-half...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Mario Cristobal finally explains why he left Bama for Oregon

QuoteCristobal left Alabama to become the co-offensive coordinator at Oregon.

"It's been a great four years and along these four years there's always been opportunities that came every year at all levels," Cristobal told Suttles, "whether it be head-coaching opportunities, coordinator opportunities, assistant-coaching opportunities. This is one I felt really strongly about because of the head football coach, Coach Taggart, and the other assistant coaches who I've known from competing against them back when I was a head coach myself. My familiarity with them, the way that they want to run a program and the ability to help a university in a capacity that's different: one that that gives me an opportunity to show growth and develop men. Those are things I learned here under Coach Saban. It's an opportunity that's exciting for a lot of reasons. I'm certainly grateful for that opportunity."

Before coming to Alabama, Cristobal spent six seasons as the head coach at Florida International.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 15h15 hours ago

Florida OL coach Summers leaving for Louisville - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20170114/ARTICLES/170119986/1180?Title=Offensive-line-coach-leaving-for-Louisville ...

Joe Hall's son-in-law

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/820786643129012228

QuoteJ.B. Grimes, who coached Auburn's offensive line from 2013-15, will coach the same position for the Huskies, a source told AL.com. Terms of Grimes' deal were not immediately available and an official announcement is expected on Monday.

Grimes spent the last season at Cincinnati, where he earned $385,000 coaching under former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville along with his son, Nick Grimes...

jbcarol

Cole Cubelic ‏@colecubelic 3h3 hours ago

"I think Larry Scott will be at least co offensive coordinator if not the next offensive coordinator at UT"

- @JohnBrice247 on @CubeShow

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/822591756407554048

QuoteButch Jones mentioned the word "continuity" several times two years ago when he hired mentor Mike DeBord as Tennessee's offensive coordinator.

Jones used that same word several times leading up to Friday's announcement that Vols tight ends coach Larry Scott had been promoted to offensive coordinator.

Unsurprisingly, Scott was a fan of Jones' preference for continuity with the offensive scheme, because that preference boosted his already-good chances of landing the gig.

40-year-old Scott has never been an offensive coordinator or a play-caller, but he served as interim head coach for the final six games of the 2015 season at Miami, and the former University of South Florida offensive lineman has coached tight ends, offensive linemen and running backs...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman Jan 19

Noel Mazzone isn't leaving his job as Texas A&M offensive coordinator for same job at Auburn, insider tells @HoustonChron.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/824792256511098880

Clint Trickett goes from "Last Chance" to "First Stop" U.

Replaced at "Last Chance U" by Good/Bad Bo Wallace

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/824745027146493958

The hypothetical:

QuoteKristi Malzahn could contain her excitement when Gus Malzahn said he was "retiring" his clipboard and granting new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey control of play-calling and coaching quarterbacks.

But that revelation, which the coach's wife celebrated during a press conference last Saturday, might not have happened had Rhett Lashlee still be [sic] at Auburn.

He be gone

jbcarol

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 9h9 hours ago

Alabama WR coach Billy Napier is headed to Arizona St to be OC, a person with knowledge of the situation told @USATODAYsports

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/829022850216517633

Quote-- Mike Locksley: The former New Mexico head coach and Maryland offensive coordinator is already on staff

-- Billy Napier: Yes, Alabama's receivers coach of the previous five seasons just left to be Arizona State's new offensive coordinator. But it's been just a week since his hire out west and a contract isn't likely signed.

-- Mark Helfrich: The former Oregon head coach is still unemployed after being fired in December. The last three Alabama OCs, after all, came from the Pac-12...

-- Chip Kelly: Why not?

https://twitter.com/ByCasagrande/status/829024184667877376

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/829383292394885124

QuoteWith Kelly out of the picture, fellow former Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich has been thrown out as a potential candidate for the position by FOX Sports' Bruce Feldman. Former Houston Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey also has been rumored as a replacement, as he is apparently good friends with Alabama offensive line coach Brent Key.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/830919173417160704

QuoteFor the sixth time in his Alabama tenure, Nick Saban will have to hire a new offensive coordinator.

His past four hires all had at least some NFL experience. Of the five hires, only Kiffin had previously coached in the SEC, and that was for one season at Tennessee.

All five coaches have been a quarterbacks coach at some point in their careers. All five also played quarterback at the college level.

Three of his past hires went on to become a head coach at the college level.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/833697387004571648

QuoteAllow New England Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett to explain.

"He's a phenomenal coach, one of the best I've been around," Bennett said at the start of the Patriots' playoff run. "Always prepared. Preparation is key. I've been in the league going on my 10th year now, and he's helped me grow as a player tremendously. He's invested in me, and I'm invested in him, and we have a great relationship together."

That "investment" is a Daboll trademark. He has been one of the most well-liked assistant coaches in the NFL -- by players and media -- because of the time he has taken to develop a personal connection.

"He's down to earth, easy to communicate with," Bennett said. "He's honest and upfront. I can come to him and say anything. We just have a really good relationship. It's a brotherhood."

As for his football acumen, Bennett said: "He's very smart. He has offensive coordinator [experience], he's coached quarterbacks, so he sees the game differently, and he helps us see the game differently. He's awesome."

Daboll, who turns 42 on April 14, began his career working under Nick Saban and Bill Belichick. As he branched out --

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/833802531524460546

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/847907631012491264

QuoteNo longer is Lane Kiffin patrolling the quarterbacks warm up routine in the baggy gray sweat suit. Brian Daboll won't be easily confused for his high-profile predecessor either.

After a three-year run with Kiffin and about two months of Steve Sarkisian, Nick Saban went a different route for the next offensive coordinator. Daboll arrived as something of an enigma to the Alabama following. He's been outside the college football orbit since serving as a Saban graduate assistant back in the Michigan State days.

While Kiffin and Sarkisian came to Alabama with more notoriety than they would've probably preferred, Daboll still remains somewhat of an unknown outside the four walls of the football complex. A few of his players were able to shed some light on what Daboll is and how he coaches.

"I feel like I have a personal relationship with him already even though he's only been here for a couple of months," said tight end Hale Hentges. "So that's something that I really enjoy. Just getting to work with him. Just getting to know him better and something that I hope to just continue to grow and foster this personal relationship that I have with him."

Like all coordinators and assistant coaches, Daboll doesn't do interviews.

"Every coach has a different coaching style," Alabama running back Damien Harris said. "Everybody has their own personality, their own persona that they bring. But he's a real high-intensity guy, and he really emphasizes attention to detail, focus, high energy on the field, attention to detail in the meetings. So, he just brings those good qualities to our offense, and I think he's done a great job coaching us and we all enjoy him, so I think things will go smoothly in the future."

"He says, 'OK guys, this is what we're going to do," Hentges said. "Alabama has always been about defense but we want to start making it more about offense. We want Alabama to be known for great offense.' That's something that he's said to us, preached to us. That's something I've responded to really positively."

It took a little time to adjust.

"The first couple of days weren't necessarily perfect," Harris said. "But we had to come to the conclusion that when you have so many knew moving parts, it's not going to be that way. But if you continue to work on them, then things will get better. And as time has gone on, things have gotten better for us, and (we're) doing what he's asking us to do, and him coaching us the way he needs to coach us. I think things are going better."

Daboll's arrival in late February brought stability to an interesting few months.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol