Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville Maintenance scheduled - Sun, Jul 5th from 8 PM CST to 2 AM Jul 6th

Started by Doug, July 02, 2015, 08:14:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

On Sunday night, we're doing two things....

* Upgrading the forum software to the latest version;
* Relocating several servers from one facility to the other

The site will be down HARD for at least two hours... and then intermittently up after that.

Don't bug me about restoration of features/capabilities, please. They will come back when I can get to them. :)

This affects ALL of Hogville's sister sites, as well.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Doug

--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

DeltaBoy

Thanks Douglas we need the Ville running at top speed for this Fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vildsvin

Vildsvin

So this is just a general update question as far as layout and design goes.. it if doesnt belong here then my bad..

This may be a question that is asked frequently by relatively new folks like myself.. has there been any discussion of possibly redesigning the site to bring it a little further along into the 21st century. I dont been that as I slight again anyone.. I understand there is merit to not fixing things that arent "broke".. but there is also something to be said for aesthetics.

You may not want to go into great detail but this is a question Ive long been wanting to ask.

Doug

Quote from: VildsvinHogville is hosted from it's own server site, eh?
A lot of people (especially those with a tech understanding of how servers/hosting work) would be shocked as to what it takes to power Hogville.

2x Load balancers
6x Front End Web Servers (can be expanded, quite easily, within 30 minutes or less)
1x Central File Server (CDN / NginX)
2x Database servers (Master/Slave pairing)

And that's just to run the site itself. That doesn't include email (separate cluster) or DNS (separate cluster).

It's amazing to watch how Hogville has grown from 2003 to present.

Quote from: Vildsvinhas there been any discussion of possibly redesigning the site to bring it a little further along into the 21st century.
Based off Hogvillian's reactions to both the ESPN and Arkansas Razorbacks website changes, we're not going to shift things around TOO much.

Yes, there are planned changes coming, but nothing drastic. Just subtle ones to make the site more mobile friendly... and to do some small tweaks, plus a little modernization.
--Doug

Vildsvin

Quote from: Doug on July 05, 2015, 10:12:27 am
A lot of people (especially those with a tech understanding of how servers/hosting work) would be shocked as to what it takes to power Hogville.

2x Load balancers
6x Front End Web Servers (can be expanded, quite easily, within 30 minutes or less)
1x Central File Server (CDN / NginX)
2x Database servers (Master/Slave pairing)

And that's just to run the site itself. That doesn't include email (separate cluster) or DNS (separate cluster).

It's amazing to watch how Hogville has grown from 2003 to present.

Why, if I may ask, was the decision made to continue to maintain your own site rather than use a big time web hosting company?

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Doug

Quote from: VildsvinWhy, if I may ask, was the decision made to continue to maintain your own site rather than use a big time web hosting company?
I dunno... maybe the fact that I'm also employed by said company has a lot to do with it?

The fact that I can physically head to the DC to work on the servers directly, maybe?

Cost standpoint?

Lack of scalability by these so-called big companies?

Bigger is not always better, especially with "Name Brand" organizations. You're paying for the name, not the service with those guys.

Take your pick.
--Doug

Vildsvin

Quote from: Doug on July 05, 2015, 07:56:02 pm
I dunno... maybe the fact that I'm also employed by said company has a lot to do with it?

The fact that I can physically head to the DC to work on the servers directly, maybe?

Cost standpoint?

Lack of scalability by these so-called big companies?

Bigger is not always better, especially with "Name Brand" organizations. You're paying for the name, not the service with those guys.

Take your pick.

Thats cool that the company afforded you that opportunity. I also work in a DC but Im sure i'd get a laugh if I asked about borrowing rack space :D

Doug

Quote from: VildsvinThats cool that the company afforded you that opportunity. I also work in a DC but Im sure i'd get a laugh if I asked about borrowing rack space :D
Borrowing? You're funny. :)
--Doug

Doug

All, since the downtime took longer than expected, I wasn't able to roll out the forum upgrades.

I'm going to get that part rescheduled to next Sunday night, 9 PM Eastern (8 PM Arkansas time).

I'll re-post this up on Thursday.
--Doug