Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harbaugh on Cowherd

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, July 01, 2015, 09:58:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 07:00:37 pm
You're Jim Harbaugh, and Ichabod Crane "wants you to sell your program."

Really?

Cowherd was choking on his own panties. Harbaugh wanted to be somewhere else, for good reason. He didn't feel like being interviewed by a hack.

Yeah, JH just wasn't adult enough to decline the interview with ol Ichabod.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

Regardless of what I think of Cowherd, that was a fair interview. He gave him plenty of chances and JH didn't want to engage at all. Imo he's a self important A-hole and doesn't think he needs to sell anything. It was disappointing as an Arkansas fan, can't imagine what it would feel like to hear that as a Michigan fan. If Coach B
Had a national interview like that people here would be flipping the hell out. JH does it and most say oh well Cowherd is a jerk. Its quite funny
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lefty08 on July 01, 2015, 07:29:15 pm
Regardless of what I think of Cowherd, that was a fair interview. He gave him plenty of chances and JH didn't want to engage at all. Imo he's a self important A-hole and doesn't think he needs to sell anything. It was disappointing as an Arkansas fan, can't imagine what it would feel like to hear that as a Michigan fan. If Coach B
Had a national interview like that people here would be flipping the hell out. JH does it and most say oh well Cowherd is a jerk. Its quite funny

End thread.  +1
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 01, 2015, 07:21:22 pm
Your work here has really fallen off.

what's interesting here is the percentage of posters who are fooled by pretentious fakes like Cowherd

So I'll say I'm enjoying the thread just for the statistical analysis

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: majestic on July 01, 2015, 07:11:15 pm
Then why did he take the interview?

Probably for the same reason he's done the satellite camps and everything else since getting the UM job.  It's an obvious attempt to pull attention getting stunts to get the media attention on him and he hopes his program.  Cowherd was the perfect foil for this kind of performance.

jbcarol

dani wex ‏@DaniWex 5h5 hours ago

Interviews are 2 way streets BUT it's the job of a reporter to find a way...any way...to get quality answers, even if you have to rephrase

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jbcarol on July 01, 2015, 08:10:11 pm

Interviews are 2 way streets BUT it's the job of a reporter to find a way...any way...to get quality answers, even if you have to rephrase

He's not a reporter.  He's a sports show host.  JH wasn't going to offer a way...maybe by design.  JH has always seemingly been an odd dude.  Cowherd just didn't anticipate ahead of time the potential for the antics.

Justagp

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 01, 2015, 02:24:56 pm
It was a horrible interview by Cowherd. His questions were stupid, and he spent way too much asking them because he would try to explain his question and get away from the subject. The last couple of minutes , CC yapped so much that Harbaugh couldn't even answer.

I agree

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jbcarol on July 01, 2015, 08:10:11 pm

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 01, 2015, 08:24:09 pm
He's not a reporter.  He's a sports show host.  JH wasn't going to offer a way...maybe by design.  JH has always seemingly been an odd dude.  Cowherd just didn't anticipate ahead of time the potential for the antics.

When you read my transcription on page one, you'll see that CC simply tossing question after question at him in an attempt for something to stick.   Something for JH to blast out of the park and deliver some nice sound bites.   Would have helped JH, UM, and of course CC.

Why JH didn't deliver what was an unbelievably soft and easy interview is beyond me.  JH sounded like my Ex who would be watching the TV, reading the text, etc. while trying to carry on a conversation with me or someone else.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

mhsbc59

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on July 01, 2015, 06:40:51 pm
JH cared enough to tweet about CC calling the interview a clunker.

This from JH:
In my experience of participating in interviews, I've found it takes 2 to produce a clunker! I'll take 50% responsibility 4 this clunker.

Cowherd gave him every opportunity to have a good interview.  It sucked and I thought it was funny that Cowherd pulled the plug.

I have been a big fan of JH, but man, he makes it hard to like him.  I think I'm out on him...until he plays Urban.

these are my feelings
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Justifiable Hogicide

Harbaugh easily wins the Golden Stick in the Mud Award with that performance.
Cowherd kept throwing the life preserver to him but Harbaugh arrogantly kept batting it back and he drowned.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 01, 2015, 04:38:07 pm
This is chronic in the media. Too many people want to hear themselves talk instead of asking a question and getting out of the way.

This^^^.  Cowherd set JH up to fail & seemed to take pleasure in cutting him off & thus ending the interview. JH might be a jerk, but a good interviewer would never pull such a cheap stunt.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

lefty08

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2015, 09:34:06 pm
This^^^.  Cowherd set JH up to fail & seemed to take pleasure in cutting him off & thus ending the interview. JH might be a jerk, but a good interviewer would never pull such a cheap stunt.

Yep, worst thing any interviewer can do is give someone the floor to sell themselves and their product to a national audience all the while praising him. What a jerk Cowherd was.......

Sarcasm off
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

GoHogs1091

Elite Coaches such as Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer, and Harbaugh (Jim) view interviews with the Media or with talk show hosts as a necessary evil.  These elite Coaches would rather be in their office watching game film and developing game plans.

They are elite Coaches for a reason.  Anything that takes away from them working on their process, such as interviews with the Media and talk show hosts, the elite Coaches perceive as a waste of time.

mhsbc59

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 01, 2015, 09:50:14 pm
Elite Coaches such as Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer, and Harbaugh (Jim) view interviews with the Media or with talk show hosts as a necessary evil.  These elite Coaches would rather be in their office watching game film and developing game plans.

They are elite Coaches for a reason.  Anything that takes away from them working on their process, such as interviews with the Media and talk show hosts, the elite Coaches perceive as a waste of time.

Part of your Job as a College head coach is to sell the program, that is why you have assistants. 
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: lefty08 on July 01, 2015, 09:48:59 pm
Yep, worst thing any interviewer can do is give someone the floor to sell themselves and their product to a national audience all the while praising him. What a jerk Cowherd was.......

Sarcasm off
Did you actually hear the interview? Colin never stopped talking. He was a jerk. Harbaugh didn't do anything to help himself. But CC pulling the plug because he wasn't getting the response he wanted was bush-league.

H&D

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2015, 09:34:06 pm

So you didn't listen to the interview, I take it.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 01, 2015, 10:06:29 pm
Part of your Job as a College head coach is to sell the program, that is why you have assistants. 

The Head Football Coach at Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan don't have to sell the program.  Those 3 Football Programs sell themselves.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: H&D on July 01, 2015, 10:21:58 pm
So you didn't listen to the interview, I take it.

Listened to the entire interview. Again, Harbaugh didn't do anything to help himself.
But Cowherd handled it very poorly. Colin could learn a few things from the likes of Dan Patrick.
A good interviewer doesn't make the interview about himself. In this case, Colin did just that.

mhsbc59

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 01, 2015, 10:24:58 pm
The Head Football Coach at Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan don't have to sell the program.  Those 3 Football Programs sell themselves.

JH has never been anywhere more than 4 years.  also Nick Saban doesnt enjoy the media but he plays the game some and Eurban meyar is loved by the media

H&D

Yeah, Michigan isn't in a position to look bad, they've been in the toilet.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

I like CC a lot. He does what he wants.  Kinda like Jime Rome.  They are both a holes but both are very good at there job.  I would def rather watch/listen to CC than Finebaum

GoHogs1091

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 01, 2015, 10:43:09 pm
JH has never been anywhere more than 4 years.  also Nick Saban doesnt enjoy the media but he plays the game some and Eurban meyar is loved by the media

It really is terrible how some sports figures treat the Media.  The Media is just trying to do their jobs.  The sports figures that are the worst I have seen on T.V. in regards to their treatment of the Media are;

Bobby Knight
Gregg Popovich
Bob Stoops (from what I have seen on T.V. footage, he is not angry at the Media, he just has to me an irritating nature in regards to his attitude when he is answering questions).
Sean Payton

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2015, 10:27:20 pm
Listened to the entire interview. Again, Harbaugh didn't do anything to help himself.
But Cowherd handled it very poorly. Colin could learn a few things from the likes of Dan Patrick.
A good interviewer doesn't make the interview about himself. In this case, Colin did just that.

This is crap.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2015, 10:27:20 pm

Refer to page one of this thread.   I transcribed the interview to the best of my ability.  Each question was softball to say the least.   They could have been answered in such a variety of ways as to allow Harbaugh to use whatever strengths he has to sell himself and he program: humor, intensity, football genius, tradition, etc.

He wasn't really listening for whatever reason, got lost on the buy/bye question despite CC setting him up with how great the conference was perched to become.

Either you listened to something I didn't, or you despise CC before and now after the interview.
His response to me:

RedBird5

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 07:00:37 pm
You're Jim Harbaugh, and Ichabod Crane "wants you to sell your program."

Really?

Cowherd was choking on his own panties. Harbaugh wanted to be somewhere else, for good reason. He didn't feel like being interviewed by a hack.
Did Cowherd run over your dog?  You are very angry at a radio talk show host... Sorry if he did though.  It will get better

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 02, 2015, 12:21:31 am
Refer to page one of this thread.   I transcribed the interview to the best of my ability.  Each question was softball to say the least.   They could have been answered in such a variety of ways as to allow Harbaugh to use whatever strengths he has to sell himself and he program: humor, intensity, football genius, tradition, etc.

He wasn't really listening for whatever reason, got lost on the buy/bye question despite CC setting him up with how great the conference was perched to become.

Either you listened to something I didn't, or you despise CC before and now after the interview.

I said Harbaugh didn't do anything to help himself. He can be a real jerk. I don't despise CC in the least. I listen to him most every day and enjoy his show. I just don't think he handled this particular interview very well. Especially the way he abruptly ended it. Just a matter of opinion. Nothing worth getting worked up over.

Hogarusa

Certainly awkward, Harbaugh seems like a real exciting person to be around.  It doesnt have any impact on his recruiting or coaching though, just a poor 5 minute interview. Harbaugh will have Michigan both a recruiting and actual top 10 by the time we pop up on the schedule and they will remain there until he leaves. 

Not a fan of Cowherd but i thought he did fine in this interview. He will most likely talk about this interview for the next 10 years the way he talks about John Wall doing the Dougie.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 02, 2015, 12:16:36 am
This is crap.

Great attempt at discrediting a true statement.  The interview as s whole was crap but the statement you quoted wasn't.

If you as the host, don't know how to handle the personality of the guest you shouldn't invite them on your show.  That the problem with host of most venues, they think they are the personality.  That a very big mistake to make.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 01, 2015, 12:33:26 pm
Most fans I know could not care less if a coach or player is rude or uncooperative with the media. The media is not exactly held in high esteem these days. However, if Harbaugh didn't have anything to say he should have declined the interview.

On the other hand Cowherd made too much out of it. Just because a coach acts like a butt in an interview with you doesn't mean athletes shouldn't play for him.

If Harbaugh had done that to me my only reaction would be, he clearly doesn't like to do live radio so I'm not interviewing him again. I wouldn't announce it. I would just cross him off the list of coaches I had live on the show.
Certainly Harbaugh can comport himself any way he wants on the radio. But they used to say don't get in a war of words with someone who buys ink by the gallon.  The same could be said for someone who buys their bandwidth by the gigabyte.

XX

My thoughts on the interview are...well...uhh...I don't know.  I mean, I don't know....uhh...I mean...uhhh...what was the question again??
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Bigdavis

Everyone insinuating that this is Cowherds fault is showing their haterade. I understand Cowherd rubs people the wrong way but there is no way this was his fault.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on July 02, 2015, 12:18:20 pm
My thoughts on the interview are...well...uhh...I don't know.  I mean, I don't know....uhh...I mean...uhhh...what was the question again??

LOL.   +1
His response to me:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 02, 2015, 05:23:30 am
I said Harbaugh didn't do anything to help himself. He can be a real jerk. I don't despise CC in the least. I listen to him most every day and enjoy his show. I just don't think he handled this particular interview very well. Especially the way he abruptly ended it. Just a matter of opinion. Nothing worth getting worked up over.

TBH, I typically borderline hate the mass media.   CC, I will listen to because he doesn't play the, "Gee, aren't mine and my co-hosts antics adorable and funny?" game.   He comes in reports the current news and then proceeds to discuss them.   Sometimes I agree.  Sometimes I don't.  Usually he at least makes me think about what he's saying.

Also, I'm glad he ended the interview the way he did.   Neither a show host, nor an interviewee should be held hostage to the other's dumbarse behavior.

JH was, plain and simple, being a pure dumbarse.
His response to me:

gmarv

I didn,t listen to the interview don,t really care about it unless it helps us in recruiting then I,m glad it was bad.

hoglady

Harbaugh has always come off as a difficult weirdo.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hoglady on July 02, 2015, 08:10:36 pm
Harbaugh has always come off as a difficult weirdo.

He should join Hogville

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 02, 2015, 03:23:48 pm
TBH, I typically borderline hate the mass media.   CC, I will listen to because he doesn't play the, "Gee, aren't mine and my co-hosts antics adorable and funny?" game.   He comes in reports the current news and then proceeds to discuss them.   Sometimes I agree.  Sometimes I don't.  Usually he at least makes me think about what he's saying.

Also, I'm glad he ended the interview the way he did.  Neither a show host, nor an interviewee should be held hostage to the other's dumbarse behavior.

JH was, plain and simple, being a pure dumbarse.

If Harbaugh had ended the interview in the same manner that CC did, you would be bashing him even more. CC will have JH on again in the near future for "The Interview II" and people will fall out their tree over it as well. Please post the transcript of it, ok?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 02, 2015, 09:30:18 am
Great attempt at discrediting a true statement.  The interview as s whole was crap but the statement you quoted wasn't.

If you as the host, don't know how to handle the personality of the guest you shouldn't invite them on your show.  That the problem with host of most venues, they think they are the personality.  That a very big mistake to make.
Thank you. +1. Those of us who have actually done radio broadcasts realize the importance of making the interviewee the focal point of the discussion.

Svrdhd

Michigan will certainly talk to Harbaugh about this, he did absolutely nothing to promote his team or the University.and may have done a minor amount of damage. Cowherd treated him too easily in my mind, Harbaugh almost seemed stoned.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 02, 2015, 08:34:54 pm
If Harbaugh had ended the interview in the same manner that CC did, you would be bashing him even more. CC will have JH on again in the near future for "The Interview II" and people will fall out their tree over it as well. Please post the transcript of it, ok?

I did.  Took me darn near 45 minutes of stopping, backing up, etc.   It's still not perfect, but it's pretty close.   See page one of this thread for it.   

Reply #45
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=594757.0

I still can't believe it has gotten so little play.  Makes me feel like it was a waste of my time.

I, nor many others, see what you guys are talking about with CC.   Go back and read my transcript and if you wish, rip me a new one by listening to the interview for comparison.   I don't think you'll see much, if any REAL difference.  I also don't think you'll believe that CC was being an ego pusher.

JH, for whatever reason.....Simply didn't want to be there, or it at least came off that way.

Anyway, it's been a cool convo with you about this.
His response to me:

Torqued pork

July 03, 2015, 01:42:34 am #91 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:40:03 am by Torqued pork
I dunno...maybe the reality of leaving northern California to live in Michigan has set in.

Misty Mountain Hog

I am thankful that coach Bielema uses every opportunity to sell our program, on any outlet. Harbaugh comes off smug, with a "I don't care attitude". God, I hate the Big 10

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 02, 2015, 11:53:51 pm
I did.  Took me darn near 45 minutes of stopping, backing up, etc.   It's still not perfect, but it's pretty close.   See page one of this thread for it.   

Reply #45
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=594757.0

I still can't believe it has gotten so little play.  Makes me feel like it was a waste of my time.

I, nor many others, see what you guys are talking about with CC.   Go back and read my transcript and if you wish, rip me a new one by listening to the interview for comparison.   I don't think you'll see much, if any REAL difference.  I also don't think you'll believe that CC was being an ego pusher.

JH, for whatever reason.....Simply didn't want to be there, or it at least came off that way.

Anyway, it's been a cool convo with you about this.

I was talking about you posting the transcript of the 2nd interview, if there is one. ;)

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 01, 2015, 07:34:00 pm
what's interesting here is the percentage of posters who are fooled by pretentious fakes like Cowherd

So I'll say I'm enjoying the thread just for the statistical analysis

Cowherd is extremely talented. Just because you don't agree with what he says doesn't make him one of the best sports radio guys in the nation

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 03, 2015, 11:01:16 am
Cowherd is extremely talented. Just because you don't agree with what he says doesn't make him one of the best sports radio guys in the nation
I agree, whatever I say doesn't make him one of the best radio guys in the nation.  ;)

870hogfan

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 03, 2015, 12:01:52 pm
Dan Patrick is better.

They have that time slot because they are the best. Jim Rome is so 1990s and is behimd the pack of those two.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 03, 2015, 12:09:54 pm
They have that time slot because they are the best. Jim Rome is so 1990s and is behimd the pack of those two.

Rome was a shock-jock hack when he was at his best which isn't saying much.   If there was a pop culture view to be taken, he as there first.

I don't think he ever had an original idea and especially not one that required some thought to understand but went against the mainstream.

BOOOOO to Rome (the person that is).
His response to me: