Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reed enrolled and on campus

Started by monty hawg, June 29, 2015, 04:59:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

monty hawg

Dudley' tweet

@Dedsports: Razorback WR signee Dominique Reed confirms that he is now enrolled and on campus at Arkansas

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MuskogeeHogFan

Glad for that young man and the team. Now, go to class, get your grades, employ the "Lombardi Rule" in making meetings/class/workouts, enjoy the world class facilities and make the most of them and be an "Uncommon Arkansas Man". Welcome aboard Mr. Reed.
Go Hogs Go!

BirmingHam

Great news in a slow summer.  Looking forward to seeing this young man on the feild.

Steef

OLDHOG

Justagp

Pudgepork

Great News.  WR's that can stretch the defenses are just what this offense needs to
open up the running game.  WPS

jgphillips3

Well, after a thoroughly crappy Monday, that is great news.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

hawgmasta

Awesome to hear! We have a solid group of guys coming back and new recruits. Reed may be the one I'm most excited about though; a 6-3 guy that has legitimate sub 4.5 speed. That's something we could really use considering how run heavy we will be, just a few 20+ yard passes to him in a game will really cause opponent's D to pull their backers and DBs off a bit.

ChicoHog

Since I'm too lazy to look it up was Reed highly recruited out of HS?  I don't remember his name.  Or did he just blow up in JC? 

Lake City Hog

Guys, while I am truly glad that Reed is on campus we really need to put this "stretch the field" crap to bed. A successful passing game isn't based on speed.(NFL Combine #'s)
Joe Adams 4.51
Greg Childs 4.52
J Wright      4.39
J Blackmon  4.48
A Jeffery      4.48
R Randle      4.55
A Cooper      4.42
A J Green     4.48

Keon Hatcher was listed as a 4.5 out of high school. I would think that the difference in Hatcher and Adams/Childs or even Randle isn't the "speed" factor.
Designing routes to take advantage of the coverage, create a match-up advantage or just plain use a rub route creates 10 times more possibilities than speed alone.

We can force the Linebackers and Safeties to back up a couple of yards with 10 to 15 yard crossing routes that they have to honor. Throwing the ball out of run formations, throwing the the quick routes that don't allow reaction time, throwing to vacated areas(blitz routes) and utilizing the screen game will all force the defense to play more honest.

Even with that, some teams will still crowd the LOS and say "beat me with your 2nd best weapon" and there will be games where we have to win with the pass. Those are the times when Enos will earn his pay!

sowmonella

Quote from: Lake City Hog on June 29, 2015, 09:15:28 pm
Guys, while I am truly glad that Reed is on campus we really need to put this "stretch the field" crap to bed. A successful passing game isn't based on speed.(NFL Combine #'s)
Joe Adams 4.51
Greg Childs 4.52
J Wright      4.39
J Blackmon  4.48
A Jeffery      4.48
R Randle      4.55
A Cooper      4.42
A J Green     4.48

Keon Hatcher was listed as a 4.5 out of high school. I would think that the difference in Hatcher and Adams/Childs or even Randle isn't the "speed" factor.
Designing routes to take advantage of the coverage, create a match-up advantage or just plain use a rub route creates 10 times more possibilities than speed alone.

We can force the Linebackers and Safeties to back up a couple of yards with 10 to 15 yard crossing routes that they have to honor. Throwing the ball out of run formations, throwing the the quick routes that don't allow reaction time, throwing to vacated areas(blitz routes) and utilizing the screen game will all force the defense to play more honest.

Even with that, some teams will still crowd the LOS and say "beat me with your 2nd best weapon" and there will be games where we have to win with the pass. Those are the times when Enos will earn his pay!

Um all of those listed have really good speed.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

choppedporkextrasauce

Joe Adams 4.51
Greg Childs 4.52
J Wright      4.39
J Blackmon  4.48
A Jeffery      4.48
R Randle      4.55
A Cooper      4.42
A J Green     4.48

Of the three Razorbacks listed which had the most catches? The speed guy. BA hasn't had a guy with Reeds speed. It's unfair to expect Reed to maintain his TD to Pass Reception ratio but keeping it close would give our offense an extra dimension.

razorback44

I doubt Keon Hatcher runs a 4.5 flat. "Out of high school" is code for hand timed 40.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Rzbakfromwaybak

Very good news.   :razorback:
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ChicoHog on June 29, 2015, 08:55:11 pm
Since I'm too lazy to look it up was Reed highly recruited out of HS?  I don't remember his name.  Or did he just blow up in JC? 

He wasn't. Mainly because his grades were so bad he no chance of qualifying.

RD did state in HS that he was real deal and could without a doubt play D1.

HogShat

June 30, 2015, 08:00:29 am #18 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:33:18 am by HogShat
Fellas, he is not just a stretch the field guy. I watched him play all through HS and his film from Coffeyville looks no different. Other than being able to get seperation and get past the defender, he has 2 uncanny abilities. One of those is high pointing the ball in the end zone. You just arent going to out jump him. The other is what he made his living on in HS. WR screens. Amazing ability to make the first guy miss. This Cardinal/Hog fan is very excited and proud to see one of our hometown kids poised to be a significant contributor on the hill!

Steef

Quote from: HogShat on June 30, 2015, 08:00:29 am
Fellas, he is not just a stretch the field guy. I watched him play all through HS and his film from Coffeyville looks no different. Other than being able to get seperation and get past the defender, he has 2 uncanny abilities. One of those is high pointing the ball in the end zone. You just arent going to out jump him. The other is what he made his living on in HS. WR screens. Amazing ability to make the first guy miss. This Cardinal/Hog fan is very excited and proud to see one of our hometown kids poised to be a significant contributor n the hill!

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

This should end the controversy. It won't. But it should.

LRHawg

Fellas, he is not just a stretch the field guy. I watched him play all through HS and his film from Coffeyville looks no different. Other than being able to get seperation and get past the defender, he has 2 uncanny abilities. One of those is high pointing the ball in the end zone. You just arent going to out jump him. The other is what he made his living on in HS. WR screens. Amazing ability to make the first guy miss. This Cardinal/Hog fan is very excited and proud to see one of our hometown kids poised to be a significant contributor n the hill!

Thanks for the info!

HoopS

Quote from: steefhog on June 30, 2015, 08:08:49 am
Thank you.

Thank you very much.

This should end the controversy. It won't. But it should.
haha. So true.

younghog

June 30, 2015, 08:30:58 am #22 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:33:34 am by younghog
Quote from: sowmonella on June 29, 2015, 10:20:30 pm
Um all of those listed have really good speed.

yep.. I SEE FAST PEOPLE.

go hogs
GO HOGS

rmcchris

Got to say, Come on Man!, to those that don't think speed matters and especially at the WR position.  Sure route running and hands as well as high pointing the end zone pass all matter as well.  But without speed, you are easily covered,  jammed at the line of scrimage and can't get into the route or open.  It does start with speed and size at that position to stretch the field and obtain separation from the defenders. I can't believe anyone would say speed does not matter at this position.

Hawgzinbowlz

Good news.
While it's possible to win with "average speed" WR, having a dynamic WR who has the other necessary tangibles/intangibles and combines good route running, well timed separation, holding onto the ball (particularly after a big hit) and having a high football IQ. with SPEED, is an added dimension that can be a game changer with one play.
I'm hoping DR brings a dynamic to The Hogs that we have played without for a few seasons.
Who knows what BA can get done if this extra dimension is added.
5th year veteran QB, Top Tier OL, Top Tier RB Corp, Top Tier TEs, solid receivers and add a field stretcher...Oh yeah, add a new OC, who is a 'power football' coach.

" GO HOGS "

hei5manhog

Do we have him for 2 years or 3?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

HogShat

SPAL

I'm confused by the guy who posted a list of speed guys to argue that speed isn't as important.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rmcchris on June 30, 2015, 01:21:39 pm
Got to say, Come on Man!, to those that don't think speed matters and especially at the WR position.  Sure route running and hands as well as high pointing the end zone pass all matter as well.  But without speed, you are easily covered,  jammed at the line of scrimage and can't get into the route or open.  It does start with speed and size at that position to stretch the field and obtain separation from the defenders. I can't believe anyone would say speed does not matter at this position.

Not saying speed doesnt matter but Jerry Rice's 40 time was 4.71.

Pigsknuckles

Fellas, he is not just a stretch the field guy. I watched him play all through HS and his film from Coffeyville looks no different. Other than being able to get seperation and get past the defender, he has 2 uncanny abilities. One of those is high pointing the ball in the end zone. You just arent going to out jump him. The other is what he made his living on in HS. WR screens. Amazing ability to make the first guy miss. This Cardinal/Hog fan is very excited and proud to see one of our hometown kids poised to be a significant contributor on the hill!

I did notice from film that the defenders who had the most success staying close to him were the ones lining up on his head. I'm guessing to prevent him from using his speed at the front end of the play. Regardless, he seems quite skilled in making catches in a crowd. DB's lining up 10 yards off him got badly torched. Should be fun to watch.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

FraggleHog

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 29, 2015, 07:21:44 pm
Great news in a slow summer.  Looking forward to seeing this young man on the feild.

Agreed! Usually any "breaking" news during the summer makes me nervous (not as often with this coach as past ones)... This is great news!
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Dwight_K_Shrute

Just the threat he poses will make a big difference.  I hope we use the heck out of him in the opening games abuse the weaker opponents and make SEC DC's think long and hard about the guy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Cinco de Hogo

I hope we don't convince him he's a down field blocker.  You need someone on the team that KNOWS he's a receiver.

Think about it and the think about where all the speed guys went that CBP recruited.

They left or went to the bench.  A rarity is a true speed receiver that is a good blocker and if there is anything CBB expects a receiver to do its block.

I'm reminded of my thoughts on Eddie Sutton's style of coaching.  He was a very good coach as is Beilema, but when you limit the number of true offensive weapons you allow in your scheme you sooner or later run into teams that can nullify those fewer weapons.

Sutton's ran an offense built around three scorers and two defensive role players.  When he faced a team that had the talent to limit the effectiveness of one or more of his scorers he was in trouble. 

CBB is the same way, so far he has limited his starring roles to the RB and TE positions.  I truly hope that he and Enos can expand that to include the WR's and that BA can make the plays that he will have to make in those situations.

We often hear the expression "don't be that guy", well Reed, I hope you are "that guy".

Country Stylz

Everytime I watch film on Reed I have visions of Randy Moss, but that's just me.

razorback44

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 30, 2015, 02:15:55 pm
Not saying speed doesnt matter but Jerry Rice's 40 time was 4.71.

Jerry Rice is the exception and not the norm.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

swinesation

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 30, 2015, 08:48:43 pm
Like Wes Welker. 

Wes Walker's pretty fast. I'd say more like Michael Irvin.

flipperpig

Kid is a total freakshow.  Saw him play basketball in highschool.  Ridiculous

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 01, 2015, 05:34:34 am
Reminds me of a white Fred Biletnikoff...

Or a black Emmitt Smith ...

bphi11ips

Cinco de Hogo

So if your gonna put a move on a DB does burner speed help you that much?  I know I saw Drew Morgan juke a guy really bad last year.   Seems you can use guys that can do that if you design plays for them.

EastMemphisHog

Joe Adams 4.51
Greg Childs 4.52
J Wright      4.39
J Blackmon  4.48
A Jeffery      4.48
R Randle      4.55
A Cooper      4.42
A J Green     4.48

This is funny. Those are very fast times. What the recruiting websites list is never indicative of what that player would run in laser-timed, combine style setup. Add 0.15 - 0.2 seconds to those numbers.