Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Visit with an Alabama Fan

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 25, 2015, 05:37:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

June 25, 2015, 05:37:45 pm Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:30:57 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
I'm not going to mention names or places, but in my daily travels I have contact with a lot of people and pretty doggone often, I run into someone who is a Hog fan that lives in the Tulsa or Oklahoma City areas.

Today I ran into a potential customer/decision maker who happened to be a Alabama fan. He had moved to this area several years ago from Alabama and had kept his allegiance to the Crimson Tide. As I normally do when I enter someones office I pay close attention to what is on the walls to help strike up a conversation and hopefully create a more personal relationship with them. I noticed all of the Alabama memorabilia in this guys office right away and I said, "gee, I don't know if we can do business or not", and of course, I grinned. He asked why and I told him that I was a Hog. A nice conversation about the SEC ensued and our mutual dislike of Auburn (I won points there). He said that he had attended a lot of Alabama games in RRS and thought it was a great place and that everyone over there had always been very nice to him when he attended, even in his Alabama gear.

Then he asked, where are we playing this year? I said, "Oh, we are in your house this year for your Homecoming Game". He looked shocked and said, "Homecoming?, I wonder if we really gave that enough thought?" "We don't need to be playing you guys for homecoming".

I'll be meeting with this guy again next week so I'll let you know if there are any updates. But folks, when you have Alabama fans on their heels, dreading to play you, you are doing something right. Woo Pig!
Go Hogs Go!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2015, 05:37:45 pm
I'm not going to mention names or places, but in my daily travels I have contact with a lot of people and pretty doggone often, I run into someone who is a Hog fan that lives in the Tulsa or Oklahoma City areas.

Today I ran into a potential customer/decision maker who happened to be a Alabama fan. He had moved to this area several years ago from Alabama and had kept his allegiance to the Crimson Tide. As I normally do when I enter someones office I pay close attention to what is on the walls to help strike up a conversation and hopefully create a more personal relationship with them. I noticed all of the Alabama memorabilia in this guys office right away and I said, "gee, I don't know if we can do business or not", and of course, I grinned. He asked why and I told him that I was a Hog. A nice conversation about the SEC ensued and our mutual dislike of Auburn (I won points there). He said that he had attended a lot of Alabama games in RRS and thought it was a great place and that everyone over there had always been very nice to him when he attended, even in his Alabama gear.

Then he asked, where are we playing this year? I said, "Oh, we are in your house this year for your Homecoming Game". He looked shocked and said, "Homecoming?, I wonder if we really gave that enough thought?" "We don't need to be playing you guys for homecoming".

I'll be meeting with this guy again next week so I'll let you know if there are any updates. But folks, when you have Alabama fans on their heels, dreading to play you, you are doing something right. Woo Pig!

I have a friend / acquaintance / work buddy that is a huge gump fan. We have known each other for about 15+ yrs or so. Went over to Tuscaloosa and hung with his crew during Mallet's first year (I think that was the year) as well as at his house for the first 52 to arse kicking we got from them recently. Most of them that I've met through him seem to be reasonable and knowledgeable, confident, not cocky and their lives completely revolve around the team. When they are good, he knows it and will rib me as much as I rib him. When there may be a potential loss, he will say so. It sounds like you guys will get along and you should be able to make the sale.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

farmhawg

Maybe he was working you to get a better price......😎
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Laughing Hog on June 25, 2015, 06:47:47 pm
I have a friend / acquaintance / work buddy that is a huge gump fan. We have known each other for about 15+ yrs or so. Went over to Tuscaloosa and hung with his crew during Mallet's first year (I think that was the year) as well as at his house for the first 52 to arse kicking we got from them recently. Most of them that I've met through him seem to be reasonable and knowledgeable, confident, not cocky and their lives completely revolve around the team. When they are good, he knows it and will rib me as much as I rib him. When there may be a potential loss, he will say so. It sounds like you guys will get along and you should be able to make the sale.

We'll see about the sale, but the important thing was, Alabama fans have come to respect, if not fear playing us. He couldn't believe that they had scheduled us for their homecoming, especially after scaring the crap out of them last year. I like it, fear the Hog!
Go Hogs Go!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2015, 06:51:35 pm
We'll see about the sale, but the important thing was, Alabama fans have come to respect, if not fear playing us. He couldn't believe that they had scheduled us for their homecoming, especially after scaring the crap out of them last year. I like it, fear the Hog!

I understand. It's a great feeling after what we've been thru the last few years. It's time to start adding some W's to that feeling. Once we start beating them again, we will see a lot more respect from many more in the media, etc.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

B501

Alabama fans have come to respect, if not fear playing us.

highly doubt they fear a team they havent lost to in nearly a decade - just saying.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: b501 on June 25, 2015, 07:01:10 pm

highly doubt they fear a team they havent lost to in nearly a decade - just saying.

As I said earlier this week, the players don't fear our team, but they are learning to respect our team and having to play them, and that says a lot. Fans tend to be the ones who "fear" and whether you want to believe it or not, there are Alabama fans who "fear" playing us and in this particular case, it had to do with us being their homecoming opponent. I think they were hoping for a "rent-a-win" for homecoming and their fans know that the outcome of their game with us, especially after last season, remains in doubt.
Go Hogs Go!

bamapig

I live in Huntsville Alabama so I am surrounded by bammers as well as being engaged to one. Believe me when I tell you everybody in this state wishes we weren't their homecoming opponent. I for one hope t-town is a sad and desolate place after the game!!! WPS!!

Steef

Typically, you schedule a 'sure win' for homecoming. It's a bummer to lose that game.

This guy was implying we were no longer a sure win. That's all.

Not fear. Just respect. Which is a WHOLE lot more than we've gotten from them in recent memory.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on June 25, 2015, 07:20:29 pm
Typically, you schedule a 'sure win' for homecoming. It's a bummer to lose that game.

Not fear. Just respect. Which is a WHOLE lot more than we've gotten from them in recent memory.

Well now, that is IT in a nutshell. But let me tell you, what I saw and heard today was a combination of dread, fear and respect. He couldn't believe that we were scheduled for their homecoming game. "How could they do that?" was his response and something other, as mentioned above. He questioned the logic of Alabama for having allowed this to happen. I left him with a, "Woo Pig" as my parting comment and he responded with (of course) "Roll Tide". 
Go Hogs Go!

Sir Oinksalot

...I'm so sick of Bama fans being scared sheetless in fear of the Hogs, I'm BORED with it already...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on June 25, 2015, 07:37:08 pm

...I'm so sick of Bama fans being scared sheetless in fear of the Hogs, I'm BORED with it already...

Of course you are. :)
Go Hogs Go!

reddogjcss

I have some BAMA friends and they stated playing us for home coming was crazy. Said going to be a battle and did want home coming distractions for our game. They stated we barely beat u last year and Hogs should have one. They said we where only getting better and they had peaked.
They felt it was a very idea to play us for homecoming and hope we are not playing with a big chip on our shoulders because it is homecoming

OLDHOG

All I want from a Bama fan is what I give them, Respect. Thanks for posting.

lumphog

You'd be WRONG....they FEAR the Hogs....It's coming and they KNOW IT

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: lumphog on June 25, 2015, 09:19:15 pm
You'd be WRONG....they FEAR the Hogs....It's coming and they KNOW IT

" WOO PIG "

Locutus_of_Boar

There are two possibilities here:

First the practical.  Assuming Bama's homecoming like most schools needs to fall in from late September to early November then the scheduling excludes Middle Tenn, Ole Miss, and Charlestown Southern.  That leaves ULM on September 26th which is still very early or Arkansas, Tennessee, or LSU.  Obviously they wouldn't risk the LSU game and probably don't want to give Butch Davis any more incentives.  Arkansas might be mildly irritated at the slight but Vols fans would go nuts.

So it comes down to ULM or Arkansas and Saban looking at Bama's schedule sees Arkansas sitting there between road trips to Athens and College Station and realizes he needs a motivating incentive for his own team by telling them Arkansas will be pissed at the thought of being the homecoming foe.

If Arkansas wins he can use that as a post game press conference tirade to blame the media for distracting his own players.  It certainly easier to explain losing to Arkansas than wht might happen if ULM repeats what they did in 2007.

Hogarusa

Alabama could schedule any team in the country for homecoming and feel confident that its a 'sure win.'

I would be much more confident about the Hogs chances if they weren't the homecoming opponent
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Vantage 8 dude

While I don't doubt that SOME 'Bama fans have greater respect for the Hogs after last year, I seriously doubt that the vast majority are all that worried. Unfortunately saying one thing and really meaning it, as we know, are often poles apart. What we're going to have to do to really get their full attention and respect is to finally "kick the door in" and beat them on the field. Playing them close, while obvious progress, ain't going to cut it any longer!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 26, 2015, 09:19:56 am
While I don't doubt that SOME 'Bama fans have greater respect for the Hogs after last year, I seriously doubt that the vast majority are all that worried. Unfortunately saying one thing and really meaning it, as we know, are often poles apart. What we're going to have to do to really get their full attention and respect is to finally "kick the door in" and beat them on the field. Playing them close, while obvious progress, ain't going to cut it any longer!!

Last year was a "wake up call" for some of their fans, but I am pretty sure that most think it was just one year and they escaped and that they will be getting back to business as usual this year. I don't think that is the case, but I am pretty sure that most of them probably feel that way.
Go Hogs Go!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: farmhawg on June 25, 2015, 06:49:19 pm

My first thought as well . . . lol

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: farmhawg on June 25, 2015, 06:49:19 pm

Ha! He's going to get that anyway.
Go Hogs Go!

MJ2

Been said several times before, but we (AR) are way down Alabama's list of concerns.   They generally look at their schedule preseason and mark it down as a W, the way we always look at MSU and put a W.

Pigsknuckles

Been through several cycles of RRS Bama games and the tailgate meetings with traveling Bama fans. Never observed any behavior but that of courtesy and respect from those fans. All fan bases have their lunatic fringe, but it's been my experience that the majority of those who are willing to travel several hundred miles to support their team usually maintain a classy countenance.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on June 25, 2015, 09:51:46 pm
There are two possibilities here:

First the practical.  Assuming Bama's homecoming like most schools needs to fall in from late September to early November then the scheduling excludes Middle Tenn, Ole Miss, and Charlestown Southern.  That leaves ULM on September 26th which is still very early or Arkansas, Tennessee, or LSU.  Obviously they wouldn't risk the LSU game and probably don't want to give Butch Davis any more incentives.  Arkansas might be mildly irritated at the slight but Vols fans would go nuts.

So it comes down to ULM or Arkansas and Saban looking at Bama's schedule sees Arkansas sitting there between road trips to Athens and College Station and realizes he needs a motivating incentive for his own team by telling them Arkansas will be pissed at the thought of being the homecoming foe.

If Arkansas wins he can use that as a post game press conference tirade to blame the media for distracting his own players.  It certainly easier to explain losing to Arkansas than wht might happen if ULM repeats what they did in 2007.
What ??? Did I miss something? When did Butch Davis begin coaching a team that's going to be on 'Bama's '15 schedule? I'm obviously behind the times.

NaturalStateReb

My visit with a Bama fan:

"Want fries with that?"
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 26, 2015, 03:33:54 pm
My visit with a Bama fan:

"Want fries with that?"
Do you work at Burger King or McDonalds?  LOL

jmark

i think its a storm that's been brewing since coach B got here.

Before coach B got here Arkansas had a ridiculous football the program. (sorry, i don't want to hear all the crap about how "great" Petrino was ) We were looked at (and still today) as an irrational fan base that was supporting a football program that was not as good as we proclaimed.

Today the Razorback Football Program is back on track to kick some sec *ss.  fans are lucky to have CBB.  and as it turned out AD JL has become a good ambassador for the Hogs.  national respect is coming.  JL and CCB have earned this respect for us.  that's something to be very proud and excited about. 

CBB once said at the time when the team hadn't won sec game,  "once we start winning, the wins will come in bunches".

We're coming for that SEC Championship and National Title.

Woo Pig!
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

MuskogeeHogFan

June 26, 2015, 05:55:10 pm #28 Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:15:57 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 26, 2015, 01:22:57 pm
Been through several cycles of RRS Bama games and the tailgate meetings with traveling Bama fans. Never observed any behavior but that of courtesy and respect from those fans. All fan bases have their lunatic fringe, but it's been my experience that the majority of those who are willing to travel several hundred miles to support their team usually maintain a classy countenance.

I agree that most visiting fans that I have met at home games have been amiable, very nice people. Classy fans. Of course everyone with any sense at all are going to be this way when visiting an opponents home venue. I'm not saying that they all have "good sense" because there are always "those few". But overall, I have found most visiting fans to be very cordial.
Go Hogs Go!

JansterZ71

My visit with an Alabama fan:

Thanks for the pizza! Now get me off my lawn!
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Doug

Quote from: JansterZ71My visit with an Alabama fan:

Thanks for the pizza! Now get me off my lawn!
"Now get me off my lawn"?!

Might want to proof that before talking smack. ;)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

SamBuckhart

Good luck with the sale. I was a sales mangler for 30+ years. Hope you make grand theft profit off of him. Haha. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SamBuckhart on June 27, 2015, 07:42:33 am
Good luck with the sale. I was a sales mangler for 30+ years. Hope you make grand theft profit off of him. Haha. Wooo Pig!

All sales people have mangled sales at one time...........usually a lot of times.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 27, 2015, 09:14:52 am
All sales people have mangled sales at one time………..usually a lot of times.

I just hope we "mangle" Alabama. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

I remember the Petrino team playing them at Tuscaloosa when I thought we had a great chance to win that game.  One hit on our small receivers by Hightower and you could all of the steam going out of our team.  Having a big, tough and physical group of players makes us a formidable foe.  A finesse team doesn't work well against a tough SEC football club. 

The NewEra

Quote from: MJ2 on June 26, 2015, 12:49:59 pm
Been said several times before, but we (AR) are way down Alabama's list of concerns.   They generally look at their schedule preseason and mark it down as a W, the way we always look at MSU and put a W.

I hope they do discount us the way you think they will.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Doug on June 27, 2015, 06:28:52 am
"Now get me off my lawn"?!

Might want to proof that before talking smack. ;)
Haha yes yes I should, but seriously,  majority of Alabama fans are EBT hard carrying white trash.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

ricepig

Quote from: JansterZ71 on June 27, 2015, 05:50:50 pm
Haha yes yes I should, but seriously,  majority of Alabama fans are EBT hard carrying white trash.

Only a Barner, or maybe an Aggie would know if they were "hard."

LJHOG

Country Stylz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2015, 05:37:45 pm

I thought your story had sort of an erotic tone to it. I expected it to go XXX at any moment.

Cinco de Hogo

I was in a store today and I see a guy come in on one crutch and his right knee all bandaged up wearing Bama clothes.  He winds up ahead of me in line at checkout so I say to him, "that's what I like to see, an injured Bama player"  He looks at me for a second, takes in the Razorback gear I'm wearing(as usual) and says "Hog fan huh...I'm sorry".  So after talking to him awhile I tell him we are their homecoming game this year and he goes speechless for a few seconds then just shakes his head and leaves.  Really, that was the end of the conversation.  Don't know what he really thought about it.

The Kig

My daughter goes to school at Bama. Most of their fans that I talk to (no question where my loyalty lies when the two teams play) respect what CBB is doing.  They expect to win, but they have grown accustomed to winning... so they expect to win every game.  It isn't arrogance (at least from their perspective) because history is on their side.  Their perception is that so many teams in the West that are capable of giving them a real fight, but that they will eventually win.  After last year, the Hogs are now included in that group of teams. 

They don't fear us, but they do respect us.  Fear will only come when we can beat them and do it in a fashion that makes them believe that we could do it again the next year.  They don't fear or respect Auburn because they believe they only lose due to gimmicks and trickeration. 

We beat them last year everywhere except where it actually counts.  They are smart enough to realize that they got lucky.  If we do beat them this year, fear will come in knowing they have to come to our house next year and beat a program that is no longer "on the rise". 
Poker Porker

urkillnmesmalls

After a few weeks in Florida, and the Disney parks, I had a chance to see many Bama fans.  I had Hog or Arkansas gear on and that sparked a few conversations.  I am just not one to talk trash when our team hasn't beaten them in nearly a decade.  I mean what was I going to say when they point out that we haven't beaten them in forever?  "Yeah, but we almost beat you in 2010, and last year we won everywhere except the scoreboard."       

I did make it a point to acknowledge them and ask them what they thought about our game this season.  I got a mix of people who didn't even know if it was a home or away game, and some that knew it was homecoming and said they were concerned about our recent uprising and the game last season.  They definitely weren't as arrogant and dismissive as I expected them to be.   

I don't know how seriously they took us last season, but our defense played masterfully to contain Cooper and I think it really comes down to how much drop off we see after losing our three best defenders.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hawgXi

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 26, 2015, 05:23:34 pm
Alabama fans will always look fondly at Arkansas as thanks for PWB.

maybe so?

the bama fans I met at road hog park the past few years are friendly confident fans that know as much about our players as most razorback fans.

I get the feeling they have had a lot of respect for the hogs, and consider us a "little brother" in many ways.

one put it to me this way:  "we need you razorbacks to do good in the west".

translated:  the hogs can help bama quite a bit each year by knocking off auburn or LSU.  even OM, A$M, Mittittippi tate.

this bama fan felt if hogs can beat all the west teams, then all they have to do is beat us to get to seccg.

Laughing Hog

July 03, 2015, 09:46:49 am #44 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:03:23 pm by Laughing Hog
Quote from: LJHOG on June 28, 2015, 09:49:54 am
what you mean, again??

Ok, maybe I should have said 'more often' at this point in time.........

since the sec, before Satan, 8-7 vs the gumps, since Satan, 0-9

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: steefhog on June 25, 2015, 07:20:29 pm

I recall Frank Broyles scheduling Georgia for homecoming and it was raining and it was a Georgia blow out. I think scheduling FCS schools is proper for homecoming.

flynhog

I have a co-worker who is has moved back to Arkansas after being gone for several years. His last stop was Tusk-a-loosa for 12 years.  Naturally, he became a Bama fan 2nd only to the Hogs.  ALL of his Bama friends want nothing to do with BB or the Hogs. 

Makes me feel good.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.