Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OU to SEC Realignment Thread-Updated 7-26-15

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 24, 2015, 06:34:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 02, 2015, 09:18:24 am
But unless something else changes I don't see them being offered a package deal.

At some point don't you need another Vanderbilt, Kentucky or MSU just to have a team that will accept a losing record on a regular basis.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 02, 2015, 09:24:49 am
At some point don't you need another Vanderbilt, Kentucky or MSU just to have a team that will accept a losing record on a regular basis.

Um. No. You need someone that will increase the conferences value. All the schools mentioned would increase the value but some would do so much more than others.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 02, 2015, 09:33:49 am
Um. No. You need someone that will increase the conferences value. All the schools mentioned would increase the value but some would do so much more than others.

I certainly don't agree with that.  Every conference I know has weaker members and most of the other conferences have added weaker members.  If you want to boil sports down to nothing more than another buck that your right.  I actually don't know if a conference full of Alabama's or "Texas" could survive. 

My opinion is you have to have weaker sisters and you need a certain number of them.  If we keep adding elite programs that puts a lot of pressure on Arkansas to stay even middle of the pack.

You can argue but our overall history in the SEC is on my side.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 02, 2015, 09:45:09 am
I certainly don't agree with that.  Every conference I know has weaker members and most of the other conferences have added weaker members.  If you want to boil sports down to nothing more than another buck that your right.  I actually don't know if a conference full of Alabama's or "Texas" could survive. 

My opinion is you have to have weaker sisters and you need a certain number of them.  If we keep adding elite programs that puts a lot of pressure on Arkansas to stay even middle of the pack.

You can argue but our overall history in the SEC is on my side.

There's a difference between weak sisters and schools that have up and down cycles.  You don't want the former, but you do want the latter.

That's the problem with Big 12 expansion:  all that's left is the former.  It's akin to saying, "I think we can keep the Titanic floating if we stuff it full of garbage."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 02, 2015, 10:07:15 am
There's a difference between weak sisters and schools that have up and down cycles.  You don't want the former, but you do want the latter.

That's the problem with Big 12 expansion:  all that's left is the former.  It's akin to saying, "I think we can keep the Titanic floating if we stuff it full of garbage."

I guess it a matter of perception,  we may be a weak sister to a Bama fan, but you are right and maybe I misspoke.  Or maybe it a three tier with the elite, up and down and the weak sister.  There is a combination thereof that works and furthermore the only way it works.

How many SEC teams have won the conference vs ones who haven't...ever.

the swinetime

Having the Aggy's puts the SEC channel in homes across Texas, that's great but does no good if the west half of the state never watches it.  Adding Texas would change that and would increase our payout.  I would love to play the Whorns every year but only if they are just another memeber of the conference and play by the same rules. 

Russ22

Quote from: ColinRagan on July 01, 2015, 09:08:32 am
Doesn't the addition of a new conference member have to be unanimous?   I would see the aggies veto texas.  Wasn't the story that when we joined the sec, Florida vetoed any talk of adding florida state.
No. New members invites are sent when 3/4 of member schools approve. At this point, 4 schools against blocks a new member.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on July 01, 2015, 07:36:34 pm
That would be a lot of teams.

You'd likely get a lot of flac from fans wanting to see more of the teams from the other side.

It would keep the SEC in the dominant position in college football from now on and it might preclude the ability of the Big Ten or Pac 12 to ever overcome their strength as a conference.   
Go Hogs Go!

UAfanatic

Finebaum:According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"

The left coast deserves Texas.. and they could have their way with them.

Russ22

Quote from: medloh on June 30, 2015, 05:10:06 pm
IIRC A&M and Mizzou only paid what the B12 was withholding for next years TV revenue--worked out to about 12 million each.  So they actually didn't pay, they just agreed to not get the current years check.

The B12 annual payments have gone up significantly since then, I think OU got around 26 million from the B12 for TV revenue this year.  I'm guessing that's probably about what OU would have to pay to leave.  That may be overly simplistic, and they may have strengthened the penalties for leaving since then.
The schools in the Big XII got bigger checks because A&M and Mizzou forfeited checks and TCU and WVU didn't receive full shares. I believe this will be the first full share year for those two. The Big XII bylaws in place when NU, CU, A&M, and Mizzou contained odd things on exit fees and membership terms. The cleanest negotiation was that the schools didn't owe anything and forfeited part (or all) of the TV money due for a contract year.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

razorbackfan86

So who would come with OU, if true, OSU?

welchog

If OU does come, to make the sides even I could see OSU as well.

Then the realignment could be:

East- Florida, UGa, USCe, UK, Tenn, Vandy, Bama, Auburn

West- Arkansas, LSU, OM, MSU, Mizzu, TAMU, OU, OSU

Or:

North- Arkansas, Mizzu, UK, Tenn, Vandy, OU, OSU, TAMU

South- Florida, LSU, OM, MSU, UGa, Bama, Auburn, USCe

Either way both divisions would be represented by six states.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: welchog on July 02, 2015, 12:56:31 pm

Or:

So, we left the SWC so we could become the SWC again.  Huh...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

RazorPiggie

Heard Colin talk about this yesterday on his show.

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on July 02, 2015, 01:01:58 pm
So, we left the SWC so we could become the SWC again.  Huh...

What???  What ???  The only team in those divisions from the SWC is Arkansas and TAMU. 

XX

Quote from: KY Hog Man on July 02, 2015, 01:10:08 pm
What???  What ???  The only team in those divisions from the SWC is Arkansas and TAMU. 
He starts drinkin' early...
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

HogFansReunited

I think this would be a great move but I doubt it happens.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on July 02, 2015, 12:41:06 pm
So who would come with OU, if true, OSU?

IF OU could get it accomplished without OSU politically then I think they would. Then you would probably see the SEC look eastward for the other team. If not then who knows what could happen..................It would be interesting though. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

I like the balance of this one:

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A & M
LSU
Louisville
Kentucky

Georgia
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Alabama
Auburn
Florida

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 02, 2015, 01:17:49 pm

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A & M
LSU
Louisville
Kentucky

Georgia
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
There's no way they're going to put 5 of the 6 traditional SEC football powers in one division.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: UAfanatic on July 02, 2015, 12:33:03 pm
Finebaum:According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"

The left coast deserves Texas.. and they could have their way with them.

Link please, I just searched his account and didn't see that tweet.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Well I found it but he tweeted that a couple days ago.

Member #3568

welchog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on July 02, 2015, 01:21:34 pm
There's no way they're going to put 5 of the 6 traditional SEC football powers in one division.
I would not say NO WAY, but I tend to agree.

Razorback_Mack

I googled big 12 and it said the big 12 was expanding. Trash Can

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: welchog on July 02, 2015, 12:56:31 pm

Or:

We come up smelling of roses in either of those situations. It would be nice not to be saddled with Alabama and Auburn every year.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

I would want another Texas team instead of both Oklahoma teams. Texas is a much better recruiting footprint. Baylor, TCU or Houston would be fine to match up with Ou or Osu.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BPsTheMan

a much lesser version of the Southwest Conference could come back and raid CUSA

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Wildhog on July 02, 2015, 01:32:39 pm
Do not want.

Me neither. My wife is an OU fan. This could cost me my marriage. Apart from that, the very idea of OU in the SEC makes me gag.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

allvol1

North Carolina or Virginia would be my bet

NaturalStateReb

Merging with an earlier thread on this.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 02, 2015, 01:17:49 pm

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A & M
LSU
Louisville
Kentucky

Georgia
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Alabama
Auburn
Florida

I think WVU would be likelier than Louisville if we're going to get defections.  It'll be more likely that the Big 12 would come apart than getting a defection from both the Big 12 and the ACC.

Wildhog

A. Frick OU
B. It would be bad for Arkansas recruiting.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

wholehog92

Quote from: rickm1976 on July 02, 2015, 08:56:10 am
Because of my upbringing, I'm an OU fan (after the Hogs), but there is so much truth in what you said.  I couldn't have put it better myself.

I married into a family that is afflicted with OU love in one of the branches.  I lived in Moore and helped a friend of mine run his business that catered mostly to that God forsaken institution.  You can overcome your upbringing if you choose.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

It's the summer, they've got to talk/tweet about something.

wildturkey8

It makes no sense to add a 15th team either OSU is coming with them or a team on the east side is being added with them.  Another possiblility though very slim, Texas is following OU into the SEC.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

fishes2000

leave Misery in east add OU and Kansas. Let Misery and Kansas go back to their rivalry give AR Auburn as rival, give OU Georgia as its rival. Kansas would help the sec in basketball more than football but at least then we get a better game for a rival and can get rid of the border war or whatever its called.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: fishes2000 on July 02, 2015, 02:13:17 pm
leave Misery in east add OU and Kansas. Let Misery and Kansas go back to their rivalry give AR Auburn as rival, give OU Georgia as its rival. Kansas would help the sec in basketball more than football but at least then we get a better game for a rival and can get rid of the border war or whatever its called.

Hard to imagine Kansas in the Southeastern Conference.  Just seems like a poor cultural fit, and the football is beyond bad. 

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2015, 02:10:51 pm
It's the summer, they've got to talk/tweet about something.

This

If anything the big 12 adds two teams
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

It makes sense for the SEC, IF, and only if, the big12 is going to implode.  Otherwise the current state of the conferences is fine. The SEC would not want another league picking up someone like OU, if Ou was looking for a partner. OU and Texas are the football kings of the big12 ( sorry baylor and tcu, your national appeal is very small ). 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2015, 02:18:47 pm

This

If anything the big 12 adds two teams

Can OU and Texas really put up with that, though?  The only available programs would be mid-majors, and how many mid-majors can you stuff in your conference until your own brands start to become devalued, especially if you're not winning consistently?

Lose a few to Mississippi State, Iowa, or Colorado and OU or UT will be seen as  having a down cycle; lose a few to Cincinnati, Memphis, and Iowa State and that's something else altogether.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on July 02, 2015, 01:21:34 pm

Why not? There's 3 or 4 in the other one.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2015, 06:35:25 pm
But it seems that history has shown that when teams (in the past) have left their conference for another, the financial package agreed to by the Media (ESPN/CBS/Fox, etc) have chosen to not scale down the previously agreed to financial package, thus remaining teams not being able to prove any real financial damage due to the departure of previous member schools. In fact, in the case of the Big 12, fewer schools are sharing the bounty of the t.v. package.

It's not the schools of the other P5 conferences that will be harmed. When the biggest schools form closed mega-conferences -- say 5 conferences of 16 teams each -- the other schools are locked out. The antitrust lawsuit will come from the Florida Atlantics, SMUs, San Diego States, Massachusetts, etc. Those second tier schools will argue that they are prohibited from competing by a cartel constructed by a small number of large schools, and they'll pretty much be right, I think.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on July 02, 2015, 02:45:58 pm
It's not the schools of the other P5 conferences that will be harmed. When the biggest schools form closed mega-conferences -- say 5 conferences of 16 teams each -- the other schools are locked out. The antitrust lawsuit will come from the Florida Atlantics, SMUs, San Diego States, Massachusetts, etc. Those second tier schools will argue that they are prohibited from competing by a cartel constructed by a small number of large schools, and they'll pretty much be right, I think.

Then those new P4 schools would simply break completely away from there NCAA and form a whole new organization. Those other schools are lucky it hasn't already been more seriously discussed.

Doug

Quote from: InhogswetrustIF OU could get it accomplished without OSU politically then I think they would. Then you would probably see the SEC look eastward for the other team. If not then who knows what could happen………………It would be interesting though.
If Texas heads to the Pac 12, and Oklahoma comes to the SEC... the SEC East team will more than likely be West Virginia.

Although, I would expect to see a redefining of the SEC West/East to SEC North/South.

The only issue... some headlines will write themselves under an SEC North vs SEC South battle. ;)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on July 02, 2015, 03:29:08 pm
If Texas heads to the Pac 12, and Oklahoma comes to the SEC... the SEC East team will more than likely be West Virginia.

Although, I would expect to see a redefining of the SEC West/East to SEC North/South.

The only issue... some headlines will write themselves under an SEC North vs SEC South battle. ;)

I'm fine with West Virginia. They have an extremely loyal following. A lot of people don't realize how much they are followed in southern Pennsylvania around Pittsburg, Maryland as well as some of Virginia and Ohio. That being said I'd prefer VT but nobody can have everything they want.

Doug

We've (the Hogs, namely the fan base) have wanted a TRUE team that we could build up naturally as a rival. Being that I've interacted *very* heavily with WVU 'Eer fans for several years, this would benefit the SEC by having Arkansas and WVU as permanent opponents.

The fan bases are equally passionate about their respective schools, while oft misunderstood by just about every other school in their conferences (current and former). The mindset and mentality of both fan bases is so similar, it really is just incredible.

The Hogs have their WPS chant.
The 'Eers have their couch burnings.

C'mon... it wouldn't get any better than the Hogs having WVU as a natural rival. :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Rzbakfromwaybak

I believe that OU would have already left for the SEC, if it wasn't for Okla St.  State legislators will not allow Okla to move, without their puppy dog.  Evidently, the SEC has not really been interested in Okla St.  Maybe that will change at some point.  Believe this is the main reason that Okla has stayed put.  Not the worry of their contract with the Big 12.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on July 02, 2015, 03:47:03 pm
We've (the Hogs, namely the fan base) have wanted a TRUE team that we could build up naturally as a rival. Being that I've interacted *very* heavily with WVU 'Eer fans for several years, this would benefit the SEC by having Arkansas and WVU as permanent opponents.

The fan bases are equally passionate about their respective schools, while oft misunderstood by just about every other school in their conferences (current and former). The mindset and mentality of both fan bases is so similar, it really is just incredible.

The Hogs have their WPS chant.
The 'Eers have their couch burnings.

C'mon... it wouldn't get any better than the Hogs having WVU as a natural rival. :D

Having them as our crossover rival is a good idea assuming Mizzou would move to the west due to some other realignment within the conference. I've always liked the idea of Bama and old barn in different divisions and then they being permanent cross division rivals.............