The Oracle (Porkatarian) has spoken in MMQ

Started by Airforcehawg, November 22, 2017, 09:32:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Airforcehawg

WilsonHog

In short, for purposes of this forum:

(1) Malzahn (his job to turn down);
(2) Norvell (a solid #2);
(3) Leach (has heavy hitters in his corner, so he may be gaining).

I still believe that the tale will be told Saturday, to a great extent. To me, the critical piece of leaked information was that Auburn is exploring Bobby Petrino as a back-up plan should Malzahn accept the Arkansas job.

Why would that leak? What would be the purpose? Not to bluff Malzahn, because he already has another job lined up, one that will likely pay him more, if he wants it. I see that piece of information as communicating to Malzahn, "Take your ass on down the road. We already are talking to your replacement," and to the Auburn fans, "No need to worry here. We're already ahead of this."

FutureMan

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:48:43 am

(1) Malzahn (his job to turn down)
(2) Norvell (a solid #2)
(3) Leach (has big hitters in his corner, so he may be gaining).

I would be happy with all three of those guys.  Probably in that order, too.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

JONAS

OkieBack

I still believe that the tale will be told Saturday, to a great extent. To me, the critical piece of leaked information was that Auburn is exploring Bobby Petrino as a back-up plan should Malzahn accept the Arkansas job.

Why would that leak? What would be the purpose? Not to bluff Malzahn, because he already has another job lined up, one that will likely pay him more, if he wants it. I see that piece of information as communicating to Malzahn, "Take your ass on down the road. We already are talking to your replacement," and to the Auburn fans, "No need to worry here. We're already ahead of this."

No kidding.  I take all this blog talk with a grain of salt because none of us are on the BOT.  But if the Petrino/Auburn talk has legs...yeah there may be a serious contingency trying to get Gus in Fayetteville.  If we aren't going to give Venables the job then Gus would probably bring the 2nd best defense to town.  Norvell has exciting offense, yes.  But Like I've said all along if you wanna win big you gotta have defense in the SEC.  Period.

WilsonHog

Quote from: OkieBack on November 22, 2017, 10:02:47 am
No kidding.  I take all this blog talk with a grain of salt because none of us are on the BOT.  But if the Petrino/Auburn talk has legs...yeah there may be a serious contingency trying to get Gus in Fayetteville.  If we aren't going to give Venables the job then Gus would probably bring the 2nd best defense to town.  Norvell has exciting offense, yes.  But Like I've said all along if you wanna win big you gotta have defense in the SEC.  Period.

Oh, there is most definitely a serious contingency trying to get him in Fayetteville. If he isn't our next head football coach, it will be for one reason only: he doesn't want to be. Otherwise, the man only needs to say one word: "Yes."

Atlhogfan1

Leach would be 2 million a year cheaper than Gus for those who seem to worry about how much we pay. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BR

And if a School is willing to tell their coach, take your ass down the road... They don't care if you leave....    Not sure if that is the type of Coach I would like...   I think I would want the school fighting against us for that coach...  Means he is wanted at Both places...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

WilsonHog

Quote from: BR on November 22, 2017, 10:11:07 am
  And if a School is willing to tell their coach, take your ass down the road... They don't care if you leave....    Not sure if that is the type of Coach I would like...   I think I would want the school fighting against us for that coach...  Means he is wanted at Both places...

Auburn is not about to be viewed as fighting us for a coach.

jrulz83

Leach would be a disaster.

Gus wouldn't be accepted by a substantial portion of the fan base.

Norvell is a huge gamble.

Great list here guys.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

online-with-swine

grayhawg

Quote from: OkieBack on November 22, 2017, 10:02:47 am
No kidding. I take all this blog talk with a grain of salt because none of us are on the BOT.  But if the Petrino/Auburn talk has legs...yeah there may be a serious contingency trying to get Gus in Fayetteville.  If we aren't going to give Venables the job then Gus would probably bring the 2nd best defense to town.  Norvell has exciting offense, yes.  But Like I've said all along if you wanna win big you gotta have defense in the SEC.  Period.
The GOBN is in charge of this not the BOT

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OkieBack

Quote from: grayhawg on November 22, 2017, 10:24:12 am
The GOBN is in charge of this not the BOT

Did the GOBN bring in Coach Bert?  Last time I checked I thought that was Jeff Long's beauty move.  If the GOBN is running this show then God help us poor Hog fans.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 10:16:35 am

Great list here guys.

Leach has won impressively in two different power 5 conferences at two schools not known for winning impressively.

Gus has won at a high level in the SEC West and his worst years look like Bielema's best years.

Norvell is the typical young mid-major "rising star" who may or may or not translate to the big leagues, but that's kind of the nature of it, and bigger programs than Arkansas have gone that route.

The list is just fine.

BR

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 10:14:28 am
Auburn is not about to be viewed as fighting us for a coach.
Nope, that's why I don't want Gus, he has run the course at Auburn if they will just let him leave... A lot more going on behind the Doors with Jimmy Sexton I'm sure, he probably gets a Hugh Raise & Contract extension and stays there ......
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 10:06:24 am
Oh, there is most definitely a serious contingency trying to get him in Fayetteville. If he isn't our next head football coach, it will be for one reason only: he doesn't want to be. Otherwise, the man only needs to say one word: "Yes."
Which will finally answer the question of whether Arkansas is his dream job.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 22, 2017, 10:21:29 am
Now watch it be Frost or Campbell   ;D
Frost would be a grand slam. Definitely would prefer him anyways.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

FutureMan

Great list here guys.

You can find faults in every candidate.  Who would be your picks, then?
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Dropkick

Great list here guys.
You want Kiffin I assume?

The_Iceman

Hawg Life

Quote from: Karma on November 22, 2017, 10:52:27 am
Which will finally answer the question of whether Arkansas is his dream job.

Gus dreams about Gus. He looks @ his best friend in the mirror every morning.

Dwight_K_Shrute

All 3 have their +'s/-'s.  All 3 would be better than BB.  All 3 would win somewhere between Nutt and Petrino like levels which isn't too bad at this juncture.  All 3 known for offense which would put butts in the seats at this juncture.  My top choice is one of those 3.  Not going to go on and on ad nauseam about which one that is and why.  Has been done to death.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Bkhardicars

I like all 3, with Gus starting out as my favorite..Kind of liking the idea of Leach more and more..Seems like a cross between Petrino and Spurrieor. In the end, I want the guy that truly wants the job the most...

jrulz83

Quote from: FutureMan on November 22, 2017, 10:57:46 am
You can find faults in every candidate.  Who would be your picks, then?

I would like a defensive minded candidate added to the mix.

Kiffin would be fine with me, and I know he's polarizing. I'm not going to get drawn into defending the messes he's made/gotten blamed for. His mistakes are well documented. I see potential in him but he's admittedly a big gamble. Now is probably not the time they take a gamble.

Venables would be someone to talk to, as would Grantham. I think Dave Aranda would be one to put on a list. I'm not sure a coordinator is the way to go though. There are short comings with everybody, it's about finding the right fit.

Gus is going to alienate a portion of the fanbase. The only argument I've seen against that is "Not if he wins." Easier said than done.

I think Leach would be a disaster, that offense only stuff isn't going to work. Same for Norvell. Everybody says, "He'll hire a good D coordinator." Well I've noticed with coaches that what is a weakness today stays a weakness tomorrow. Maybe he's different, but it's a big gamble and again it's probably not the time to gamble.

porkrindjimmy

Y'all have been told everything Porkaterian just told you at least a week ago...

PRJ

Hawghiggs

porkrindjimmy

Wilson...all this has already been pointed out for awhile now.

PRJ

jrulz83

Potosihog

The Danger of the Leak

For Gus' sake I hope they either win the NC or he decisively takes the Arkansas job and moves out of AU before the bowl game.  When Nutt was using Sexton to play AR vs NE it started to turn the tide.  When the fans are getting fickle over wins and losses but as a coach you love it there, want to be there, plan on turning it around, many of those fans will give you the benefit of the doubt (at least short of a season like we had this year).  But when you begin to flirt with other schools, you better win big if you are planning on staying.

Any guy is going to get his fill pretty quickly if his girl is always trying to catch the eye of some other dude in the room.

If AU beats AL but doesn't win the NCG and then next year starts slow, Gus will wish he had taken this job.  On the other hand if he wins the NC this year and follows it with another great season next year, they may build a statue.

d3maybe

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 11:55:27 am

Kiffin would be fine with me, and I know he's polarizing. I'm not going to get drawn into defending the messes he's made/gotten blamed for. His mistakes are well documented. I see potential in him but he's admittedly a big gamble. Now is probably not the time they take a gamble.

Venables would be someone to talk to, as would Grantham. I think Dave Aranda would be one to put on a list. I'm not sure a coordinator is the way to go though. There are short comings with everybody, it's about finding the right fit.

Gus is going to alienate a portion of the fanbase. The only argument I've seen against that is "Not if he wins." Easier said than done.

I think Leach would be a disaster, that offense only stuff isn't going to work. Same for Norvell. Everybody says, "He'll hire a good D coordinator." Well I've noticed with coaches that what is a weakness today stays a weakness tomorrow. Maybe he's different, but it's a big gamble and again it's probably not the time to gamble.

Leach's defense...as its been pointed out several times...has a great DC and a top 15 ranked defense this year... so I don't think Leach is only offense. He is a little odd, but I don't think he is stupid.  Not that I'm for hiring him but saying Leach only cares about offense is not accurate it seems.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 11:55:27 am

The "offense only approach" worked pretty well for Petrino. Plus, have you seen Leach's defense this year? I'm assuming not.

TrueBlue

Going to be a lot of disappointed folks when the new coach is hired.

OkieBack

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 22, 2017, 12:13:13 pm
The "offense only approach" worked pretty well for Petrino. Plus, have you seen Leach's defense this year? I'm assuming not.

Leach's defense seems to be a recent awakening to him.  He's a great offensive coach and seemingly has now figured out you need a defense too.  But because 95% of his career ignored a good defense kind of makes me leery of Leach.  That's why he is not in my own personal top 3 or 4.

But no doubt if Leach showed up in F-ville we would get some offense and may be a decent defense.  But is Leach tired of the West Coast?  Why would Leach want to leave his current gig?

jrulz83

Quote from: d3maybe on November 22, 2017, 12:10:45 pm
Leach's defense...as its been pointed out several times...has a great DC and a top 15 ranked defense this year... so I don't think Leach is only offense. He is a little odd, but I don't think he is stupid.  Not that I'm for hiring him but saying Leach only cares about offense is not accurate it seems.

It's absolutely accurate. Look at his career. One year of good defense isn't what I'm talking about. Bielema has that here and people here were offering their virgin daughters up to Robb Smith. Where has that defense wound up?

jrulz83

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 22, 2017, 12:13:13 pm

See above reply.

porkerfinger

OkieBack

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 11:09:27 am
There is no perfect candidate.

Correct.  I guess my question to the fan base is if your man (if amongst the provided choices we assume are in the running so far: Leach, Malzahn, Norvell, Venables, Kiffin, Frost, Campbell) ISN'T selected as the next HC, how deterred are you gonna be to support the next head coach? 

Would we rather just keep BB if you can't get your own man in here?  Or are we all gonna jump on board and support the next HC?  I know the answer.  I hope all of you do too.

d3maybe

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 12:19:30 pm
It's absolutely accurate. Look at his career. One year of good defense isn't what I'm talking about. Bielema has that here and people here were offering their virgin daughters up to Robb Smith. Where has that defense wound up?

The two trends are going completely different directions though... Leaches are continuing to get better and CBBs worse... I think Leach see's the importance of a great defense. I agree with you he doesn't have a long track record, I just also think he's not stupid and knows the offense only philosophy won't work...especially in the SEC if he were to come here.

Again..I'm not all in for Leach or anything, but I think he could be successful here.. I still think we should make Venables and offer he can't refuse.

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 22, 2017, 11:59:22 am
Wilson...all this has already been pointed out for awhile now.

PRJ

I'm going to hire you a PR guy, obviously somehow the message isn't getting out.......

jrulz83

Quote from: d3maybe on November 22, 2017, 12:32:21 pm
The two trends are going completely different directions though... Leaches are continuing to get better and CBBs worse... I think Leach see's the importance of a great defense. I agree with you he doesn't have a long track record, I just also think he's not stupid and knows the offense only philosophy won't work...especially in the SEC if he were to come here.

That's all fine to think but I disagree.

My opinion is his offense would get shut down by elite SEC defenses (Auburn, Bama, LSU et cetera) and he would never get enough defense to cover his tail. That's an opinion though, we know what they're like. ;D

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

d3maybe

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 12:39:08 pm
That's all fine to think but I disagree.

My opinion is his offense would get shut down by elite SEC defenses (Auburn, Bama, LSU et cetera) and he would never get enough defense to cover his tail. That's an opinion though, we know what they're like. ;D

BP's offense didn't get shut down by Elite SEC defenses. I think Leaches offensive mind is on par with BP's... The enough defense is a concern though... Does his DC come with him if he comes, does he have a track record of building a defense from dumpster fires?? Who knows... I just think he gets a little bit of a bad rap.

I think we agree though that a defensive minded coach is what we need and he needs to hire a good OC that can spread out defenses.

GuvHog

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 22, 2017, 12:49:03 pm
If we get GM and AU gets BP, did we win?

No, Auburn would be the winner because they would've gotten the better Head Coach
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PigInTheHole

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 22, 2017, 12:49:03 pm
If we get GM and AU gets BP, did we win?

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 12:51:43 pm
No, Auburn would be the winner because they would've gotten the better Head Coach

Surely we wouldn't get outmaneuvered so obviously.  Maybe I'm biased being a LeachHugger

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 12:34:21 pm
I'm going to hire you a PR guy, obviously somehow the message isn't getting out.......

Have I not said this exact thing for two weeks now?

This is what happens to a good ole boy on the wrong side of town....

PRJ

Scott7703

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 22, 2017, 12:15:45 pm
Going to be a lot of disappointed folks when the new coach is hired.

Ok, I'll bite. Why is that?

hawgball40

Quote from: d3maybe on November 22, 2017, 12:49:55 pm
BP's offense didn't get shut down by Elite SEC defenses. I think Leaches offensive mind is on par with BP's... The enough defense is a concern though... Does his DC come with him if he comes, does he have a track record of building a defense from dumpster fires?? Who knows... I just think he gets a little bit of a bad rap.

I think we agree though that a defensive minded coach is what we need and he needs to hire a good OC that can spread out defenses.

he's griped about being unable to get elite talent to come to pullman washington. it seems obvious to me he would get quite a bit better talent here, but the question is would it be good enough to get him over the top in this league of elite talent?

porkrindjimmy

This is coca cola cowboy stuff....

Barbarossa already spit this information to the masses....

But I ain't got Robert Redford hair.

PRJ

d3maybe

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 22, 2017, 01:01:06 pm
he's griped about being unable to get elite talent to come to pullman washington. it seems obvious to me he would get quite a bit better talent here, but the question is would it be good enough to get him over the top in this league of elite talent?

Right... but that question would apply to EVERY coach that comes here. Would it not?