Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is 6-7 wins acceptable or non-acceptable for you this season?

Started by Ben, August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Quote from: jst01 on August 15, 2017, 10:54:18 am
this is what annoys me, games against Miss. St. and Mizzu shouldnt be toss ups. Teams on the rise that are respectable should be considered favorites playing at home against those teams.  Not arguing whether they are considered 'toss ups'... just bothers me that we are at a point of perception and team skill that they actually are toss ups.

I don't know why it annoys you. What about our program is a differentiator from those schools? Not a thing. MS St has great coaches and similar talent. With MIZZOU you could make an argument either way, but they have beaten us. You can't just throw a W by that game. People justify Ole Miss as a win because of off the field stuff, but if you compare rosters how can it not be a toss-ups? I just drown out all the noise of compare the teams. I could be wrong, but I feel good about my analysis.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DLUXHOG

The Hogs are going to massively surprise (in a good, positive way) all of you naysayers this year.....   WPS!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

b-ash

I think in the current system of recruiting teams like Arkansas should start with 6-6 record as the minimum.  Anything above warrants success and anything below is failure.  Until a competitive balance like the draft is in place for recruiting, then the same teams will be great every year, the mediocre will stay mediocre, and the terrible will stay terrible.  I realize there can't really be a draft, but something needs to be place to spread the talent out better in college sports in general. 

Wildhog

Quote from: b-ash on August 15, 2017, 01:47:20 pm
I think in the current system of recruiting teams like Arkansas should start with 6-6 record as the minimum.  Anything above warrants success and anything below is failure.  Until a competitive balance like the draft is in place for recruiting, then the same teams will be great every year, the mediocre will stay mediocre, and the terrible will stay terrible.  I realize there can't really be a draft, but something needs to be place to spread the talent out better in college sports in general. 

I just don't remember this attitude being prevalent before Bielema, but I see it all the time now.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

b-ash

For me it has less to do with Brett and more to do with my increased watching of the NFL.  I also hate how two losses effectively ends your season in terms of ultimate success.  NY Giants are certainly glad your season doesn't end if your .500. Every team can't win 80% of their games every year.  We get half the talent on the top teams, so we win half the games. Unless you do sketchy stuff it's impossible to change tradition.  The only reason Alabama fell off for a few years was terrible coaching, once they hired great then they became great again. Texas will be more relevant than Arkansas as soon as they make a great hire (maybe Herman is).  The talent wants to go there.  It doesn't want to come to Arkansas.  The sooner fans realize mediocrity your Saturdays will be about half miserable every year.  Mine are going to great this year no matter what.

b-ash

I'll agree Delta. 6-6 with a bowl win is an above average year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on August 15, 2017, 01:48:36 pm
I just don't remember this attitude being prevalent before Bielema, but I see it all the time now.

Really? Some of us have been saying this for over a decade. One of my 1st posts here in 2004 asked how a coach was supposed to get the talent here to compete with the upper echelon of college football.  Now we may have been in the minority then, but more people seem to be coming around to how college sports, especially football, are set up.

Just look at college basketball. Duke went from 12-1 to make the NCAA final 4 to like 3-1 just because of one commit. You think most programs are in the type of shape to where one commit makes that big of a difference? And that is basketball where one guy can have that type of influence. Football, where you need top level talent stacked like chord wood, is even tougher for a "average" program to break out on top and STAY on top. Like it or not, Arkansas is an average college football program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 02:05:45 pm
Really? Some of us have been saying this for over a decade. One of my 1st posts here in 2004 asked how a coach was supposed to get the talent here to compete with the upper echelon of college football.  Now we may have been in the minority then, but more people seem to be coming around to how college sports, especially football, are set up.

Just look at college basketball. Duke went from 12-1 to make the NCAA final 4 to like 3-1 just because of one commit. You think most programs are in the type of shape to where one commit makes that big of a difference? And that is basketball where one guy can have that type of influence. Football, where you need top level talent stacked like chord wood, is even tougher for a "average" program to break out on top and STAY on top. Like it or not, Arkansas is an average college football program.

You are so, so, so fucgking wrong....

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 02:05:45 pm

I didn't say it didn't exist.  It just wasn't prevalent. 

And yes, we are an average football program.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't ever be above average for a little while.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jst01

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 15, 2017, 02:09:07 pm
You are so, so, so _____ wrong....

based on the last 20 years and where we sit in the pecking order of recruiting and our place in this conference, I don't see how he is wrong. I also think there are about 5 great programs, 15 above avg programs and 60 average programs, so we are sitting right next to a lot of other teams.

hogsanity

I am sure you have something, other than blind homerism, to back that up, no?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: jst01 on August 15, 2017, 02:12:46 pm
based on the last 20 years and where we sit in the pecking order of recruiting and our place in this conference, I don't see how he is wrong. I also think there are about 5 great programs, 15 above avg programs and 60 average programs, so we are sitting right next to a lot of other teams.

And within that 60 teams a few poke their heads up for a couple years when things fall right, then back down they go and a few others pop up. Look back on the BCS era. IIRC, 51 different programs made it to a bcs bowl, including "powers" like Wake Forest, UConn, Hawaii, Illinois & NIU.

AirWarren

We have a 59% winning percentage since the inception of our program.

My gosh take the red shades off for two seconds.

AirWarren

Middle of the pack.

We have a lower program winning percentage than Alabama, LSU, TAMU, ole miss, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida.

Teams below us are mizzou, miss state, Kentucky.

I won't even get into national powers vs us.

AirWarren

navyhog24

Quote from: Ben on August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm
Is 6-7 wins a good season or bad season for you this year?

Heck No. Fire CBB if he can't do any better.

jgphillips3

7-5 is a baseline type season at a program like Arkansas.  That is the minimum we should expect.  We are not a 6-6 baseline program.  I would sooner stop following the program than ever accept 6-6 as the baseline.

AirWarren

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 15, 2017, 02:45:20 pm
7-5 is a baseline type season at a program like Arkansas.  That is the minimum we should expect.  We are not a 6-6 baseline program.  I would sooner stop following the program than ever accept 6-6 as the baseline.

7-5 at baseline is very reasonable for us.

DLUXHOG

not a second of any game has been played this season yet so I'm going with 12-0.    IF the Hogs lose a game, then I'll go with 11-1, etc....  (yes, I'm the eternal Hog optimist...)

Deep Shoat

Everything is relative.  I'll tell you after the season if I found it acceptable.  Seriously, If Austin and Devwah go down, of course 6-7 would be acceptable.  If the D is playing lights out, then I'm not sure 8 is acceptable.
All Gas, No Brakes!

trphog

In the coach's fifth year, with an experienced, senior QB, 6-7 wins would be a bummer.

hogsanity

Quote from: trphog on August 15, 2017, 03:03:43 pm
In the coach's fifth year, with an experienced, senior QB, 6-7 wins would be a bummer.

It is the same old same old with the Hogs. Have an experienced Qb and it seems he is always paired with either a young OL, or a new group of receivers & a young backfield. Thats the story this year, the QB is back but most of his go to receivers are gone, his #1 back is gone, and we will have a couple new guys on the line.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 03:19:37 pm
It is the same old same old with the Hogs. Have an experienced Qb and it seems he is always paired with either a young OL, or a new group of receivers & a young backfield. Thats the story this year, the QB is back but most of his go to receivers are gone, his #1 back is gone, and we will have a couple new guys on the line.

Hell, we might be better at RB if Hayden keeps tearing it up.

WR will be interesting to see who steps up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 03:19:37 pm

Not to mention the flip to 3-4 defense, and lack of depth on that side of the ball.
Go away, batin'

trphog

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 15, 2017, 04:08:37 pm
Not to mention the flip to 3-4 defense, and lack of depth on that side of the ball.

I agree with all of those sentiments relating to the timing of our team structure. Dang hard to be happy with a mediocre season when you arguably have a top 3 QB in the conference however.

VBCHog

There is no way that South Carolina, Miss State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy are a better program than us or ever will. We are close with Auburn, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. I think LSWho and Bama are a teir above us and everyone else. This being said I think that 4-4 or 3-5 in confrence should be the bottom and in Bielema's 5th year lower than 7 wins is untolerable. We can't realistically expect expect 10 wins a year but we can expect 8 or 9 with 10+ every five years or so.

Headhog32

Quote from: VBCHog on August 15, 2017, 05:02:29 pm
There is no way that South Carolina, Miss State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy are a better program than us or ever will. We are close with Auburn, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. I think LSWho and Bama are a teir above us and everyone else. This being said I think that 4-4 or 3-5 in confrence should be the bottom and in Bielema's 5th year lower than 7 wins is untolerable. We can't realistically expect expect 10 wins a year but we can expect 8 or 9 with 10+ every five years or so.
well said sir. I agree there should be no reason were not winning 8-9 games a year. back in the ole days we were a program with 9+ wins almost every year

hawganatic

We gave away two games we should have won last season.  This team, with all it's flaws, still had the ability to win 9.  Assuming whatever went wrong in those two games has been corrected, there is no reason to think that this year's team can't win 9 +.

We have:

1.  Senior QB with a year starting under his belt
2.  An offensive line that was pieced together last season with more experience
3.  Said offensive line being captained by the best center in the nation
4.  A running back who I think is going to be the next big name player in the conference
5.  What appears to be a pretty good freshman and a well seasoned SEC running back running behind said running back
6.  A serious upgrade at the defensive coordinator position, who won't tie his players down with a generic base set that he never gets out of
7.  A new defensive scheme that the players seem to be buying into and will give them more freedom to do what they do

I'm excited about this season.  I see at least 8 wins on the schedule (3 cupcakes, TCU, Ole Miss, Miss State, SC, and MO), and think we break A&Ms win stream against us for 9.   

Going to be a fun season.  I hope some of you can lighten up and actually enjoy it.

Headhog32

Quote from: hawganatic on August 15, 2017, 05:20:56 pm
We gave away two games we should have won last season.  This team, with all it's flaws, still had the ability to win 9.  Assuming whatever went wrong in those two games has been corrected, there is no reason to think that this year's team can't win 9 +.

We have:

1.  Senior QB with a year starting under his belt
2.  An offensive line that was pieced together last season with more experience
3.  Said offensive line being captained by the best center in the nation
4.  A running back who I think is going to be the next big name player in the conference
5.  What appears to be a pretty good freshman and a well seasoned SEC running back running behind said running back
6.  A serious upgrade at the defensive coordinator position, who won't tie his players down with a generic base set that he never gets out of
7.  A new defensive scheme that the players seem to be buying into and will give them more freedom to do what they do

I'm excited about this season.  I see at least 8 wins on the schedule (3 cupcakes, TCU, Ole Miss, Miss State, SC, and MO), and think we break A&Ms win stream against us for 9.   

Going to be a fun season.  I hope some of you can lighten up and actually enjoy it.
nice post. I really believe that the new defensive set Is really going to work for us. makes it easier individually for the defensive guys to actually do there job. as I seen at one of the scrimmages I really liked what I seen. you are right going to be a fun year

PonderinHog

Wilson asks, "what is acceptable?"  Define Acceptable:  In this instance ACCEPTABLE is in the eyes of the beholder. 

We each have the right to decide what s acceptable to us as an individual.  Most of us understand our acceptable level is not important to anyone but ourselves.  H

My minimum win total for the regular season is 8.  I believe the talent we have can produce 8 wins.  I believe its up to the staff to handle this talent in a manner to reach 8 wins.  Short of several serious injuries, we should win 8 times in the regular season.  If our coaching staff can out coach any of Saban, Sumlin, Orgeron or Malzahn and their staffs, we could pick up a 9th win.  I think that is highly unlikely.  If we get a 9th win, it will likely come from the Bowl game, though I don't believe we are likely to beat a team worthy of playing an 8 win SEC West team in a Bowl.  If we win only 6 and then get a matchup against a typical 6 win team, we will likely win that one. 

Biggus Piggus

It is never just about wins and losses. It is about how they happen. You are a blooming fool if you know little to nothing about the quality of opposition and go setting line-in-sand targets like that. In some seasons, winning 9 (1987) is a wasted opportunity. And winning 8 (2015) can be a terrific accomplishment. In 2015, Arkansas beat three opponents that ended up winning 9+ games. That's one of the highest totals in school history.

The Hogs' 5-7 record in 2008 was half-miracle. That team really could have been bowl-eligible, despite having several of Nutt's players deliberately sabotaging the team in Petrino's first season. Give Petrino his full defense in November of that season, and the Hogs might have won two more games.

This team could prove to be talented and well-coached, but if the schedule is too much, the Hogs will lose some games. If the schedule proves mediocre and Arkansas still finishes with a middling record, then one has to wonder what it's going to take. For now, we don't know much about the quality of the schedule.

Arkansas's entered many seasons where expectations were shaky and fans and media vastly overrated the opposition in the preseason. This season reminds me of 2006. The previous season's events robbed fans of confidence, but an infusion of good talent is going to help right away. The DC position was greatly upgraded. Unlike '06, we're positioned with a senior quarterback and a lot more playmakers, though it's unclear whether the Hogs have McFadden-Jones-level gamebreakers. Remember how skeptical people were about a defensive line that included a converted wide receiver as the lead pass rusher.

This season will be a joy for football fans. It is a good setup, and however it plays out will be fascinating. Just be open-minded enough, let your egos deflate enough, to give the Razorbacks a chance to succeed. If you're an incessant critic and prove coincidentally right about the future of the Razorbacks, you're still a shitheel.
[CENSORED]!

jvanhorn

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 11, 2017, 07:32:54 pm
7-6 isn't acceptable to me.  8-5 is acceptable.  9-4 is minimum to make me feel good about the state of the program. 

If you want to feel good about the state of the program find another conference with an easier division.  Being a fan is fine, but reality has a way of being a wake up call.  Baseball and basketball have a much better chance at consistently winning a lot more than they lose.  In basketball outside of Kentucky there is really no one that can't be handled with a good team.  In baseball we fear no one.  Football--another story.

Al Boarland

All the schools you claim we are close to recruit at a much higher level and have had more success in recent history. So, how can you make that statement when the factors required to be included are not relevant to the program?

hogcard1964

He has to get to 9 with 10 after a bowl win this season. ...at the minimum.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 16, 2017, 06:34:31 am
He has to get to 9 with 10 after a bowl win this season. ...at the minimum.

Generally speaking, you are right, this needs to be a 9 win season, even if that includes a bowl win. What would instill a lot more confidence that we are headed in the right direction is if we won 9 in the regular season and a 10th game with a bowl win.

I don't believe that we can win less than 8 in the regular season and not have some questions that need to be answered about whether the program is headed in the right direction or not. But that is just my personal opinion.

It would probably be acceptable to win just 8 in the regular season if:
1. In every loss that we have, we are giving it 100% on every play and we are just beaten by better teams.
2. None of the losses come as a result of not making timely adjustments to what our opponents are doing.
3. We don't build leads in the first half and then don't show up in the second half...finish games.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Who said anything about Ky, Mizzu, or Vandy being better programs?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 15, 2017, 09:45:22 pm
It is never just about wins and losses. It is about how they happen. You are a blooming fool if you know little to nothing about the quality of opposition and go setting line-in-sand targets like that. In some seasons, winning 9 (1987) is a wasted opportunity. And winning 8 (2015) can be a terrific accomplishment. In 2015, Arkansas beat three opponents that ended up winning 9+ games. That's one of the highest totals in school history.

The Hogs' 5-7 record in 2008 was half-miracle. That team really could have been bowl-eligible, despite having several of Nutt's players deliberately sabotaging the team in Petrino's first season. Give Petrino his full defense in November of that season, and the Hogs might have won two more games.

This team could prove to be talented and well-coached, but if the schedule is too much, the Hogs will lose some games. If the schedule proves mediocre and Arkansas still finishes with a middling record, then one has to wonder what it's going to take. For now, we don't know much about the quality of the schedule.

Arkansas's entered many seasons where expectations were shaky and fans and media vastly overrated the opposition in the preseason. This season reminds me of 2006. The previous season's events robbed fans of confidence, but an infusion of good talent is going to help right away. The DC position was greatly upgraded. Unlike '06, we're positioned with a senior quarterback and a lot more playmakers, though it's unclear whether the Hogs have McFadden-Jones-level gamebreakers. Remember how skeptical people were about a defensive line that included a converted wide receiver as the lead pass rusher.

This season will be a joy for football fans. It is a good setup, and however it plays out will be fascinating. Just be open-minded enough, let your egos deflate enough, to give the Razorbacks a chance to succeed. If you're an incessant critic and prove coincidentally right about the future of the Razorbacks, you're still a shitheel.
From Jurrasic park: Mr. Hammond,"The only one on my side is the bloodsucking lawyer". Lawyer,"Thank you."
So ,   Thank You.

If all the criticism was right and is proved. Then they "the shitheels" were just whatever they were, but absolutely correct and those questioning them or putting them down were just "dumba$$es" . just Dumba$$ Razorback fans.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 12, 2017, 01:54:52 pm
You are not very knowledgeable of college football if you DEMAND a bowl win.  Those are too uncertain to demand.  We have no clue who we will play, or where, or who.  No way to predict a bowl at this point.
I get your point there. 8 wins before the bowl then. At least your would have twice as many wins as losses. Or how bout 9 wins in general.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on August 12, 2017, 05:52:28 pm
A 6 or 7 win season year after year, can be bought for a lot less money than we are now paying.
So your one of the one's that's paying Coach B? Good for you. Everybody ain't able. ;)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 10:21:06 am
This schedule? A schedule where the Hogs will likely be the pre season underdog in over half the games.

Thankfully it does not matter if it is acceptable to a bunch of keyboard jockeys, it matters if it is acceptable to Long and the BOT.
There he is. Hogsanity to the rescue..."Here he comes to save the day". Wish you defended Mike like that... ;D

LJHOG

[/quot
Depends on injuries.  We remain relatively injury free then 6 wins = new coach, 7 = one more year, maybe.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AP85 on August 15, 2017, 02:28:57 pm
We have a 59% winning percentage since the inception of our program.

My gosh take the red shades off for two seconds.
That percentage means at least 7 wins.

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 07:12:04 am
Generally speaking, you are right, this needs to be a 9 win season, even if that includes a bowl win. What would instill a lot more confidence that we are headed in the right direction is if we won 9 in the regular season and a 10th game with a bowl win.

I don't believe that we can win less than 8 in the regular season and not have some questions that need to be answered about whether the program is headed in the right direction or not. But that is just my personal opinion.

It would probably be acceptable to win just 8 in the regular season if:
1. In every loss that we have, we are giving it 100% on every play and we are just beaten by better teams.
2. None of the losses come as a result of not making timely adjustments to what our opponents are doing.
3. We don't build leads in the first half and then don't show up in the second half...finish games.
Plain & simple we must keep ascending until we can't ascend anymore. That's good enough for me. That ceiling might be 10 with a run at the SEC Championship every once in a while but I'm fine with that.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 16, 2017, 10:48:09 am
There he is. Hogsanity to the rescue..."Here he comes to save the day". Wish you defended Mike like that... ;D

Are the basketball Hogs going to be underdogs in half their games?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 16, 2017, 11:47:02 am
Are the basketball Hogs going to be underdogs in half their games?
Who knows? You know the only major sport we get any respect in is baseball. And we struggle to get that. Unless you consider track & field major because of the Olympics.

BTW they will be the underdog in quite a few conference games. Half is still to be determined. And BTW if they're not underdogs in half of their games there's a reason for that. The basketball program is in a better state right now that the football program. Just saying...Carry on then.