Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 08:57:39 am

Why Can't Mike win the big game

Started by hawgball40, February 22, 2018, 07:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgball40

It never fails. We always lose the big game. I've made excuses and tried to rationalize his decisions, but damnit, the man is just not very smart coach. He makes poor decisions, adheres to his physically demanding defense, and our players and our program suffer for it. Give chris beard this team and we're top 10 easy with a half court defense and offense. It might not be high scoring and fast pace, but i guarantee you the extra energy would lead to some exciting plays from Gafford and others.

Mike's system hinges on catching lightning in a bottle, and damnit he just aint good at it, and when he can't catch it his plan b is to look dazed and confused as his offense putters aimlessly in the half court.

jfred59

Thats been the history of Arkansas sports throughout the years sadly

Cambridge Hog

Seems to me this system needs better athletes than the other team and a deeper bench. Doesn't seem like we have either of those.

Boardon Hamsay

Maybe as a fan base we need to realize, as it relates to the 40 minutes of hell style, that we'll never love this way again.

???

:'( :'( :'(
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

porkinsons disease

Because its not early 2000's. the game has changed, Mike has not adapted. Great guy, but the game has passed him by.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Dr. Starcs

All that's been said and I will add one - Attention to detail.

Breems

Why were we winning more big games with his suckier teams in his first 3 years? We beat some solid teams back then. We even beat UK with those teams.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Paul

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 22, 2018, 09:02:17 pm
Because its not early 2000's. the game has changed, Mike has not adapted. Great guy, but the game has passed him by.
He only knows of one way to coach: Nolan's system.  He cannot adapt.  Why should he?  A lot of fans are happy with him the way he is. 

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Paul on February 22, 2018, 09:54:37 pm
He only knows of one way to coach: Nolan's system.  He cannot adapt.  Why should he?  A lot of fans are happy with him the way he is. 
SO TRUE
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

HawgsPolo

Sounds like you only get up for games against Kentucky. That's recipe for a letdown lol
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

daprospecta

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 22, 2018, 07:54:09 pm
It never fails. We always lose the big game. I've made excuses and tried to rationalize his decisions, but damnit, the man is just not very smart coach. He makes poor decisions, adheres to his physically demanding defense, and our players and our program suffer for it. Give chris beard this team and we're top 10 easy with a half court defense and offense. It might not be high scoring and fast pace, but i guarantee you the extra energy would lead to some exciting plays from Gafford and others.

Mike's system hinges on catching lightning in a bottle, and damnit he just aint good at it, and when he can't catch it his plan b is to look dazed and confused as his offense putters aimlessly in the half court.
What do you mean by the big game? We have certainly taken Kentucky down in years where they competed for the national title. 

Atlhogfan1

We upset UK one season.  They were playing awful in Feb when we beat them the 2nd time.  You have to reach to suggest this program has won a big game in this era.  Most have ended in double digit defeats. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 24, 2018, 03:07:42 pm
We upset UK one season.  They were playing awful in Feb when we beat them the 2nd time.  You have to reach to suggest this program has won a big game in this era.  Most have ended in double digit defeats. 
This is what I hate, someone makes a statement, it's proven wrong and then someone tries to muddy the waters.  If someone says Exhibit A didn't happen, it is proven Exhibit A happened, that means that someone is wrong.  You can analyze it however you want but it happened.  It's the same thing when someone mentioned Mick Cronin was a much better coach than CMA but I broke down how his time at Cincy is very close to CMA's time here and then weird angles were brought up and then crickets.  I'm more than willing to talk about Mike's failures but the problem is the people who want Mike gone refuse to talk about or even give credit to any of his successes.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:18:39 pm
This is what I hate, someone makes a statement, it's proven wrong and then someone tries to muddy the waters.  If someone says Exhibit A didn't happen, it is proven Exhibit A happened, that means that someone is wrong.  You can analyze it however you want but it happened.  It's the same thing when someone mentioned Mick Cronin was a much better coach than CMA but I broke down how his time at Cincy is very close to CMA's time here and then weird angles were brought up and then crickets.  I'm more than willing to talk about Mike's failures but the problem is the people who want Mike gone refuse to talk about or even give credit to any of his successes.

Haven't said fire him.

Didn't muddy anything. 

You reached back to 2 games in 2014. Even if those were great accomplishments, that isn't much.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 24, 2018, 03:22:35 pm
Haven't said fire him.

Didn't muddy anything. 

You reached back to 2 games in 2014. Even if those were great accomplishments, that isn't much.
The OP literally said Mike can't win the big game sir.  2014 shows that he can.  You can say he does not win them consistently, fair enough but we have a nucleus and guys coming in that can change that. We can agree and disagree as a fanbase, it's only natural but it's detrimental when someone has a narrative they are pushing that they are unwilling to sway on.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:26:36 pm
The OP literally said Mike can't win the big game sir.  2014 shows that he can.  You can say he does not win them consistently, fair enough but we have a nucleus and guys coming in that can change that. We can agree and disagree as a fanbase, it's only natural but it's detrimental when someone has a narrative they are pushing that they are unwilling to sway on.

In your opinion.  17th ranked UK lost 3 of 4 and 4 of 7 in that stretch.  They were awful offensively during that period.  Our wins led to nothing. 

He doesnt win them consistently would be a gross understatement.

BoarEd

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:26:36 pm

It's bait and switch stuff with these guys all the time. They constantly redefine terms when they try and make arguments. Lol. It's the sign of a lazy mind, or and agenda, IMO.

alohawg

He doesn't have to and probably isn't capable anyway. How many years does it take to figure?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Tusks

Why can't Mike win the big game?

He doesn't have the salary cap that most other schools have.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

maxhog5

What big game?  Arkansas hasn't played a big game in 20 years.

daprospecta

This was a big game and we just won.

maxhog5

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 07:13:49 pm
This was a big game and we just won.

No it wasn't.  Wins in big games don't leave you tied for third place in the conference. 

ShadowHawg

johnfanman

It isn't just Mike, its our teams the past 20 years for the most part. We don't have that killer instinct or edge anymore that we had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. We play good at home and get too much into our heads outside of Fayetteville.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 24, 2018, 07:24:51 pm
This thread definitely failed.

but most of the usual suspects showed up with some gasoline for the fire...

hogfan98

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 24, 2018, 07:24:26 pm
No it wasn't.  Wins in big games don't leave you tied for third place in the conference. 

When winning all but punches your ticket to the dance it's a big game.

forrest city joe

Where you at haters? i thought Mike could not win big games.this was the biggest game of the season.lose this game and we may be in trouble.i was sick and tired of hearing Arkansas is not a lock for the Dance.YES THE HELL ARKANSAS IS ESPN! this win is so sweet.the haters had another terrible night.i love it!

FATHAWG08

Big Win for the Hogs. Real Big Road Win!! WPS!!!
I love off season Football!!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 24, 2018, 07:37:12 pm
Where you at haters? i thought Mike could not win big games.this was the biggest game of the season.lose this game and we may be in trouble.i was sick and tired of hearing Arkansas is not a lock for the Dance.YES THE HELL ARKANSAS IS ESPN! this win is so sweet.the haters had another terrible night.i love it!

Lol
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Kevin

he will win big games, then turn around and lose to somebody they shouldn't.

tonight was a big win. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on February 24, 2018, 07:41:07 pm
he will win big games, then turn around and lose to somebody they shouldn't.

tonight was a big win.

So true.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 24, 2018, 07:37:12 pm

Ha ha...I'm sensing some...pent up aggression...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 22, 2018, 07:54:09 pm

20-9 fire mike!!!!

sowmonella

Come and get it. Admit when you are wrong.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawgball40

Quote from: AP85 on February 24, 2018, 07:44:57 pm
20-9 fire mike!!!!
We laid an egg tuesday vs Kentucky after jumping out to a 11-0 lead in that game. We almost laid a similar egg tonight, but squeaked out the win despite multiple attempts to punch back by alabama, we held. It's a step in the right direction.

hawgball40

Quote from: sowmonella on February 24, 2018, 07:47:49 pm
Come and get it. Admit when you are wrong.
He still hasn't won the big game. Sorry that hurts your feelings. So perhaps you need to eat crow for being wrong?

hawgball40

Quote from: Breems on February 22, 2018, 09:53:58 pm
Why were we winning more big games with his suckier teams in his first 3 years? We beat some solid teams back then. We even beat UK with those teams.
This is actually a really good question. I remember we knocked off the really good florida team one year, and also the narrow victory over a highly ranked michigan team. ALso, you could count the win over kentucky in 2014 too.  The problem is, that is 3 games. out of many losses. LIke going to clemson and getting our darn pushed in as a ranked team in 2015. and going to ISU and getting our darn pushed in. and getting our darn pushed in repeatedly this season by LSU. and against tuesday night by kentucky. As a fanbase,we have to quit eating each other and agree to call a spade a spade. At this point in time, Mike Anderson is not a good coach and his teams reflect that. His insistence on running an outdated style is holding back the potential of our program. Maybe he could develop a hybrid strategy where he presses in the first half, and does a touch matchup/zone man in the second. i don't. but something has to change.

BoarEd

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 24, 2018, 07:56:12 pm
He still hasn't won the big game. Sorry that hurts your feelings. So perhaps you need to eat crow for being wrong?

More shifting the goal posts.
You see, every time you win the next game gets bigger. So the beauty of the idiotic argument in this thread premise is you can keep on saying he hasn't won the big game until and if he wins a national title.

Good for you. You can troll fellow hog fans. You're a genius.

hawgball40

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 08:01:30 pm
More shifting the goal posts.
You see, every time you win the next game gets bigger. So the beauty of the idiotic argument in this thread premise is you can keep on saying he hasn't won the big game until and if he wins a national title.

Good for you. You can troll fellow hog fans. You're a genius.
How did i shift the goal posts? The premise of the thread is he is unable to win big games. And you want to trot out today's win as evidence to the contrary? I mean bama is middle of the pack. way overhyped. look at their remaining schedule, they likely crumble and miss the dance. Get real people. Yes, we're 20-9 and likely going to make the tourney. But what are we gonna do there? exit stage to the right again in the round of 32? The point of my thread is he isn't getting us over the hump

BoarEd

Alabama is a tournament team that the Hogs beat on the road despite Alabama draining 3s all over the place down to the very wire to win it.

This was a big game.

You're shifting goal posts. You're a dishonest person.

HoopS

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 24, 2018, 08:04:36 pm
How did i shift the goal posts? The premise of the thread is he is unable to win big games. And you want to trot out today's win as evidence to the contrary? I mean bama is middle of the pack. way overhyped. look at their remaining schedule, they likely crumble and miss the dance. Get real people. Yes, we're 20-9 and likely going to make the tourney. But what are we gonna do there? exit stage to the right again in the round of 32? The point of my thread is he isn't getting us over the hump
see how you did that? We win a big game on the road against a team Lunardi has ahead of us but in one post you dismiss them thus making the win not a big win. Well, to you anyway.

That was a big win. PooPoo it. I know you will and you'll have company soon once they quit hiding since we won. But it was a big win.

Once again we have hit the 20 win mark with games to go and are a virtual NCAA lock.

BoarEd

Interesting stat about Alabama is they have beaten more top 25 teams this year than they have in the previous TEN YEARS COMBINED.

Alabama is good. And Arkansas beat them in their gym

This OP is dumb as hell

hawgball40

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 08:08:36 pm
Alabama is a tournament team that the Hogs beat on the road despite Alabama draining 3s all over the place down to the very wire to win it.

This was a big game.

You're shifting goal posts. You're a dishonest person.
You are the one shifting the goal posts. YOu are trying to redefine the term big win to suit your argument. Big wins are wins vs big time teams(Kentucky, or a ranked opponent). 17-11 Bama is not a big win by anyone's definition other than you CMA defenders on this board. reality check, you need it)

hawgball40

Good evening crybabies. I'm out. I leave you to your own devices delusions

BoarEd

hawgball40

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 08:17:01 pm
Bye Felicia
Oh you poor little baby. Mike can't win the big game. I know that just burns right in your little craw don't it?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on February 22, 2018, 08:16:10 pm
Seems to me this system needs better athletes than the other team and a deeper bench. Doesn't seem like we have either of those.

I still don't understand why the coaches don't see that the answer is to just have the best players. You would expect they would have thought of that too.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HoopS

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 24, 2018, 08:16:14 pm
Good evening crybabies. I'm out. I leave you to your own devices delusions
lol. Crybabies. We just won and are happy. Of course you leave in a huff. Shove off. 

hawgball40

Quote from: HoopS on February 24, 2018, 08:18:03 pm
lol. Crybabies. We just won and are happy. Of course you leave in a huff. Shove off, cock stain.
leave in a huff? please. There is simply nothing to debate here. You and your little buddy are trying to redefine the term "Big Win" to suit your agenda, and i don't have time to waste with your ignorance. It's really that simple. And your anger can be seen through the vile speech and rhetoric of your posts. Keep it classy.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 24, 2018, 08:17:57 pm
I still don't understand why the coaches don't see that the answer is to just have the best players. You would expect they would have thought of that too.

Better athletes or best players?