Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tues (10/3/17) updates ... Phillips decision on hold, Leblanc & Embery news

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 03, 2017, 11:26:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Jordan Phillips just told me he won't announce today (Tues, 10/3/17) ... more details coming in a few minutes.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

azhog10

Guess we are getting cold feet. He's trying to hold off to give us time. Hope we don't screw the pouch on this one.

navyhog24

hogwood

All of these "announcements" make me think something else is going on, or that he's just a flakey teenager who doesn't know what he wants...

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 11:26:18 am
Jordan Phillips just told me he won't announce today (Tues, 10/3/17) ... more details coming in a few minutes.

I got a call this morning from a source who told me the Jordan Phillips situtation was not resolved. Sure enough, when I checked in with Jordan he said he's not announcing today. Sorry, but I can't go into details on this right now.

But if not Arkansas (who he still favors), he's down to SMU and Fresno State. He may be visiting SMU soon, we'll see.

My confidence level was close to 100% the last couple of days based on what he told me on Sunday coupled with his intentions of announcing Monday (which was changed to today at noon). Right now, I'd say Hogs with a confidence level of 5.1 on a scale of 1-to-10.

Pinto

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 11:52:01 am
I got a call this morning from a source who told me the Jordan Phillips situtation was not resolved. Sure enough, when I checked in with Jordan he said he's not announcing today. Sorry, but I can't go into details on this right now.

But if not Arkansas (who he still favors), he's down to SMU and Fresno State. He may be visiting SMU soon, we'll see.

My confidence level was close to 100% the last couple of days based on what he told me on Sunday coupled with his intentions of announcing Monday (which was changed to today at noon). Right now, I'd say Hogs with a confidence level of 5.1 on a scale of 1-to-10.

Seems like staff has been slow playing him since he left campus.  I'm wondering since the commitment of Embery and they have 4 guys right now are they choosing to be super picky now and wait to see what guys like Hellums and Chaney do first.

batmanfan

If we are holding off that sure seems risky. And kind of a waste of a lot of time on both sides
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: batmanfan on October 03, 2017, 12:05:40 pm
If we are holding off that sure seems risky. And kind of a waste of a lot of time on both sides

I feel bad for the kid if that's happening, but that's just the world of college basketball, and I trust our staff knows what they're doing. 

Kevin McPherson

Not at all. This is recruiting. Arkansas did an in-home visit with Jordan on Monday, September 11, then he took an OV to Arkansas that weekend (September 15-17). Since then, Hog coaches have not been down to Arlington for another visit. Conversely, they've been to Findlay Prep to see Chaney a total of 3 times sandwiched around his OV.

Point is, they have reasons for what they do, when they do it, and how they do it. All schools put out a bunch of offers and land only a small number of those ... it's a strategic numbers game, certainly not a waste of time.

batmanfan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 12:22:56 pm
Not at all. This is recruiting. Arkansas did an in-home visit with Jordan on Monday, September 11, then he took an OV to Arkansas that weekend (September 15-17). Since then, Hog coaches have not been down to Arlington for another visit. Conversely, they've been to Findlay Prep to see Chaney a total of 3 times sandwiched around his OV.

Point is, they have reasons for what they do, when they do it, and how they do it. All schools put out a bunch of offers and land only a small number of those ... it's a strategic numbers game, certainly not a waste of time.

That makes sense, I was thinking they had been down there more recently. Thanks.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 12:22:56 pm

You said though to have issues resolved.....is this a SEC academic issue?

hogwood

I don't think it's a waste of time but it does seem risky for us. Seems like Phillips is a great fit for what we want and he continually says we lead for him. While personally I would in fact favor Hellems, I think you have to take a kid that fits and wants to be in your program. If a kid who you've clearly deemed worthy of an offer wants to commit, then you take him. Why offer in the first place? Lots of evaluation was done before offering. Unless there are academic or character issues then I don't see why you turn a kid down that you e offered. Holding out for a particular kid is very risky.

I don't know if that is what's happening here, but I hope CMA wouldn't risk losing a great prospect to Fresno St. just because another prospect has said they may want to visit at some point...

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on October 03, 2017, 01:05:55 pm
You said though to have issues resolved.....is this a SEC academic issue?

I got a call this morning from a source who told me the Jordan Phillips situation was not resolved. Sure enough, when I checked in with Jordan he said he's not announcing today. Sorry, but I can't go into details on this right now.

Dominicanhog

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

October 03, 2017, 06:32:52 pm #18 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:17:50 pm by Kevin McPherson
* Josh Leblanc, who recently narrowed his list to TA&M and Georgetown, told me he's now going to re-open his recruitment and sign in the spring, and that Arkansas is once again a "possibility."

* Keyshawn Embery will sign with the Hogs on the first day of the early period, which is Wed, Nov 8. Hog coaches still working on getting down to IMG Academy to see him practice, looking now like that will be next week at the soonest.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Kevin McPherson

navyhog24

parallaxpig

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 06:39:29 pm
I just shared that info in the OP.

Poor phrasing on my part.....why is he re-opening his recruitment, if you can share that info.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 03, 2017, 06:49:30 pm
Why is he re-opening his recruitment?

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 03, 2017, 06:52:19 pm
Poor phrasing on my part.....why is he re-opening his recruitment, if you can share that info.......

He said it was a decision made with coaches and family, but he did not want to delve into the particulars of "why" at this time.

mhuff

He has to reopen to include us and others as he was down to two. I am sure his family is advising him to wait til spring. That might let the dust settle and they might see who's going down with the FBI.

Sapperhog

Interesting. Until a few days ago he seemed like an absolute 100% lock. You mention he still favors the Hogs but the confidence level has dropped significantly. Looking forward to hearing this story.

Kevin McPherson

* Keonte Kennedy committed to Xavier today.

Hoggle

I hope we aren't slow playing him... I much prefer his size and skill set to other, more highly rated guys we have been recruiting.  IMO, we will regret it if we're playing games on our end and lose him. Hope we try to make it work with him, whatever the issue...

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 03, 2017, 06:49:30 pm
Why is he re-opening his recruitment?
FBI probe is shaking everything up.

Maybe his check didn't clear. I'm kidding...I think.

The_Bionic_Pig

Sounds to me like he was Aggie bound just 24hrs ago now Arkansas is back in it in a big way...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 04, 2017, 01:42:54 am
Sounds to me like he was Aggie bound just 24hrs ago now Arkansas is back in it in a big way...

Perhaps these are the repercussions of the FBI probe... Usually we would lose a kid like this to TAMU or another school, but maybe not this year.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hogwood on October 04, 2017, 04:46:44 am
Perhaps these are the repercussions of the FBI probe... Usually we would lose a kid like this to TAMU or another school, but maybe not this year.

The check is no longer good at TAMU after the FBI has starting scaring some of these teams away from continuing in these $hady activitie$.  Now TAMU doe$ not look quite a$ good a$ it once did...
SCREW Vandy!

MakingPlays

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 04, 2017, 05:17:15 pm
Any more updates on Phillips?  He visiting SMU?

Jordan told me today that he will not visit SMU this weekend. Obviously, he can change his mind, or visit in unofficial capacities any day of the week as SMU is effectively in his hometown.