Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3.3 yds per carry - mizzou D

Started by twistitup, November 28, 2014, 09:43:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

per SB Nation:
"Arkansas offensive line vs. Missouri defensive line. The Razorbacks have the biggest front unit in the country, but they'll be going against one of the nation's best defensive lines in Missouri. Arkansas averages 5.2 yards per carry with 30 touchdowns on the ground (although they do more than that), while Missouri is giving up only 3.3 yards per carry with 7.7 tackles for loss per game."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/28/7282191/arkansas-missouri-game-time-tv-schedule-watch-online

This will be another good test for our o line
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HF#1

Mizzou gave up 210 yards rushing against Georgia and 240 yards rushing against Indiana.  If we hit anything close to those marks, we win easily imo. 

I think our D-line is better than their d-line.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

They also gave up plenty through the air. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Lake City Hog

Twist, if we can just split the difference between what we usually make and what they usually give up and average about 4.2 yards per carry we should fare very well.
Looking at 3rd and less than 2 gives us a huge advantage in play calling. I would love to see us have some 3rd and 2 situations and have Chaney spread 3 wides with Jwill taking a handoff just inside the tackle slot. He might run for a while!

Hogopotamus

Mizzou has great pass rushing DEs, but they are small in the middle (compared to what we have seen). We have struggled in pass protection against similar lines, but if we stick to mostly power run and short drop offs to tight ends, we should be ok.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: twistitup on November 28, 2014, 09:43:21 am
per SB Nation:
"Arkansas offensive line vs. Missouri defensive line. The Razorbacks have the biggest front unit in the country, but they'll be going against one of the nation's best defensive lines in Missouri. Arkansas averages 5.2 yards per carry with 30 touchdowns on the ground (although they do more than that), while Missouri is giving up only 3.3 yards per carry with 7.7 tackles for loss per game."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/28/7282191/arkansas-missouri-game-time-tv-schedule-watch-online

This will be another good test for our o line

Georgia averaged 3.6 YPC against Mizzou on 58 attempts and we all know how that turned out.

Huckleberry Pig

I know everyone brings up their games against Indiana and Georgia but this is later in the season and as we know you can definitely make adjustments throughout the year and get better. 

Don't know what makes everyone so sure we will go off for 240 on the ground.  Don't get me wrong, hope it happens!  But I don't think it's anything close to a given.  Mizzou may not be consistent but they are still a good team. 

I have less confidence in us for this game than I did against LSU and ole miss

Pudgepork

Ole Miss D was pretty much regarded one of the best in the nation if not the best.  They had only given up 10 pts total in the 1st half of games going into last week.

The Hogs O had success against that defense.  They scored on Ole Miss in the 1st half.  Brandon Allen went out in the 2nd quarter so we really don't have any idea how the offense would have gone from that point because the back up qb entering the game really cut down on the play calling.

Mizzou has a good defense.  The only team that their D has faced that is in the class of
the top 4 or 5 teams in the west division is UGA.   

HF#1

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on November 28, 2014, 09:56:29 am
I know everyone brings up their games against Indiana and Georgia but this is later in the season and as we know you can definitely make adjustments throughout the year and get better. 

Don't know what makes everyone so sure we will go off for 240 on the ground.  Don't get me wrong, hope it happens!  But I don't think it's anything close to a given.  Mizzou may not be consistent but they are still a good team. 

I have less confidence in us for this game than I did against LSU and ole miss

I don't think we have to rush for 240.  I think anything between 150-200 could and will get the job done.  It's easy to say that about Ole Miss and LSU now that we have beat them. 

Mizzou is a good team but we have been through the tougher battles imo.  The pressure is on them to win the East. 

Hogarusa

Hogs have 632 rushing yards on 202 attempts for an avg of 3.12 ypc in their last 5 SEC games.  OL needs to reestablish how giant they really are. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GolfnHog

I'll just say, as it relates to this game, that I'm as nervous as a whore in church. I do think that JW and AC run as angry as Chubb so I'm hoping that we get a lot of YAC on each run play.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Zoufan

Actually Georgia's offense had less to do with that blowout than Mizzous 6 turnovers.  Florida 'swamped' Ga far worse with the running game than Ga did us.  We simply went three and out or turned it over all game long.  It still felt like a competitive game into second half because of the D.

The problem with thinking you can simply run the ball at a 3 or 4 yard average if our offense doesn't repeat the six turnover debacle and is moderately effective is that you will likely bog down or get behind the chains.  I could be wrong but suspect you winning will depend on your ability to throw.  Likely will get well under 200 on the ground.  IMO your tight ends are key along with avoiding turnovers as goes for both teams.  I seriously doubt if either team has much over 300 yards total offense. 

It won't be bean bag out there for either team. Hope all come out healthy ..and the Hogs win their bowl to get a 7th victory.

sigpooie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

razorsharptusk

I expect to see a heavy passing game from Missouri.
GO HOGS!!

TigerMattSTL

One comment about Missouri's defense early in the season vs Indiana in rushing and somewhat against Georgia.  Our linebackers looked absolutely clueless and were constantly out of position.  That has changed a lot as the young guys have gained experience.

Missouri's offense must have some sustained drives and not turn the ball over.  The Georgia game the defense played pretty well, but being on the field for 43:18 just wore the defense down.

ICEman

Let's look at the math... 3.3 yards/carry X 3 carries = 9.9 yards or just a bit less than 4 inches needed to keep the sticks moving.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HF#1

Not sure why folks think that if you don't average 5 + yards per carry then you can't run the ball. 

Pretty sure we are up there in fewest 3rd down situations.  We get first downs regularly and our conversion rate on 3rd down is pretty damn good. 

We may only average 3.3 a carry, but it's a quality 3.3 yards.

BigE_23

Quote from: razorsharptusk on November 28, 2014, 10:39:14 am
I expect to see a heavy passing game from Missouri.
nope...they're going to try and establish the run. They're averaging about 240 yards per game in their last 2 games on the ground.

TigerMattSTL

Missouri passes to set up the run.  They will take shots down field to test the Hogs secondary.

HF#1

Quote from: TigerMattSTL on November 28, 2014, 11:48:04 am
Missouri passes to set up the run.  They will take shots down field to test the Hogs secondary.

I hope so...  The way our secondary is playing, I like it.  We had a coach that did that.  When he faced teams like present day Arkansas, he got killed.

King

Quote from: ICEman on November 28, 2014, 11:31:43 am
Let's look at the math... 3.3 yards/carry X 3 carries = 9.9 yards or just a bit less than 4 inches needed to keep the sticks moving.

BINGO.  Ratchet it up to 3.4 and Mizzou will hardly touch the ball.

A.K.A.

Got to consider the opponents they played.
Home town of Texarkana Arkansas

LSPRazorbac

Also remember what those stats are built on:

SEC yards per rush ranking:

14th ranked Tenn 
13th ranked vanderbilt
12th ranked Kentucky
10th ranked Florida
7th ranked Texas A&M
6th ranked South Carolina
1st ranked Georgia

So its a little skewed.

Whereas we have faced

11th ranked Ole Miss
9th ranked LSU
7th ranked Texas A&M
5th ranked Bama
3rd ranked Miss St.
2nd ranked Auburn
1st ranked Georgia

LJHOG

We probably averaged 5 yards a carry between the tackles and maybe 0 outside.