Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas / Mizzou "Rivalry" history

Started by geauxhawgs, November 27, 2014, 04:04:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geauxhawgs

When was the last time we played at Mizzou? 1906

How many times have we played total? 5....FIVE!

What percentage of Arkansas fans South of Fayetteville will get giddy year in year out and say "Oh man, WE'RE PLAYING MISSOURI THIS WEEK, I CAN'T WAIT!!!" ??     1%

those 3 things alone.... not very good ingredients to start a "rivalry".

Not to mention Fayetteville, Fort Smith, West Memphis, Jonesboro, Little Rock, El Dorado, Harrison - Don't seem to culturally align much with the people in Missouri as a whole, especially Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis.

LSU BLEAUXS!!!!! WOO PIG Y'ALL!

Killean

The "rivalry" is primarily rooted in Basketball..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMTgTJRk-w

Highlights of Missouri's greatest ever basketball team.  Big 8 champ, undefeated in conference, #1 NCAA Seed, Elite 8.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Hogpile

Hell in the hills or Hades in the hills brotha

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Killean on November 27, 2014, 04:14:53 pm
The "rivalry" is primarily rooted in Basketball..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMTgTJRk-w

Highlights of Missouri's greatest ever basketball team.  Big 8 champ, undefeated in conference, #1 NCAA Seed, Elite 8.

If they want a basketball rival they joined the wrong conference lol. This is yet another example of how they don't fit in the SEC.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 27, 2014, 04:04:46 pm

That all means nothing.

Tomorrow afternoon more people and more recruits than have watched Arkansas play all year long will tune in to watch and assume it is a rivalry.  They will see Arkansas deny their "rival" the SEC East Championship and potentially alter the playoff race.  Vern and Gary will gush on endlessly about Arkansas as a contender in 2015.  The team will grab whatever goofy trophy they've come up with for this one and sing the fight song with the Hog fans who made the trip.  And Bret will be grinning like the cat who ate the canary.

That's what rivalries are all about.

carolinahogger

Who cares if it is a rivalry or not?  I don't get this need to have a "main rival".  It is an SEC game so it is important. 

All this crap reminds me of a bunch of junior high girl drama.  Luckily it seems that a few of the fans are the only ones involved in it.

mizzou waltz

What percentage of Arkansas fans South of Fayetteville will get giddy year in year out and say "Oh man, WE'RE PLAYING MISSOURI THIS WEEK, I CAN'T WAIT!!!" ??     1%

Not to mention Fayetteville, Fort Smith, West Memphis, Jonesboro, Little Rock, El Dorado, Harrison - Don't seem to culturally align much with the people in Missouri as a whole, especially Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis.

Well I view it as the totality of the institutions and our histories across the sports, not isolated to a handful of football games. So I think of the Nolan-Norm days, Todd Mayberry, Oliver Miller, and I see you loveable ******* as a rival. Doesn't feel forced to me.

The lame-ass name, though...

pigture perfect

I'll be 70 miles from Columbia. Sure wish I'd had money for tickets. I could go to the game, cheer the Hogs and A pod my mother in Law all day. Now I will have to catch the s ore during commercial breaks of the Walton's Thanksgiving marathon she's recorded but doesn't know how to fast forward.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

mizzou waltz

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

majestic

Let's see how the game goes. Knocking them out of the east title might be a good start to a rivalry. They'll be trying to return the favor next year.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ImHogginIt

Disagree. Most Arkansans have a lot in common with much of Missouri, especially the bottom half of the state. A large percentage of Hog fans are life long Cardinal fans with many having gone to St Louis numerous times to watch them play. I've visited Missouri much more than any other SEC state.

I love Missouri and their fans are good people. I'm looking forward to this rivalry developing over the coming years.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 27, 2014, 08:58:03 pm
Disagree. Most Arkansans have a lot in common with much of Missouri, especially the bottom half of the state. A large percentage of Hog fans are life long Cardinal fans with many having gone to St Louis numerous times to watch them play. I've visited Missouri much more than any other SEC state.

I love Missouri and their fans are good people. I'm looking forward to this rivalry developing over the coming years.

I can see southwest and southeast Missouri being somewhat comparable to North Arkansas - but definitely not St. Louis, KC, Central, Northeast or Northwest MO (aka most of the state). From Central MO on up, they average 20+ inches of snow and talk like Yankees. From what I heard, St Louis had a white Thanksgiving this year lol. When is the last time you recall that happening in Arkansas or anywhere in the South?

FYI- has nothing to do with what we're talking about but I just think this is CRAZY! My buddy from Kennett, Missouri told me last week that it takes him over 9 hours to drive from the bootheel to Maryville (the Northwest corner). He went on to say they live 70 miles closer to Mobile, Alabama and get to Mobile in 6hrs 45 min. Haha

As far as being Cardinal Fans...A Large# of Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Iowa, and Illinois, are also Cardinals fans. They have one of the largest fan bases in professional sports so that's not saying much...

HogFanatic

Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 27, 2014, 09:42:11 pm
I can see southwest and southeast Missouri being somewhat comparable to North Arkansas - but definitely not St. Louis, KC, Central, Northeast or Northwest MO (aka most of the state). From Central MO on up, they average 20+ inches of snow and talk like Yankees. From what I heard, St Louis had a white Thanksgiving this year lol. When is the last time you recall that happening in Arkansas or anywhere in the South?

FYI- has nothing to do with what we're talking about but I just think this is CRAZY! My buddy from Kennett, Missouri told me last week that it takes him over 9 hours to drive from the bootheel to Maryville (the Northwest corner). He went on to say they live 70 miles closer to Mobile, Alabama and get to Mobile in 6hrs 45 min. Haha

As far as being Cardinal Fans...A Large# of Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Iowa, and Illinois, are also Cardinals fans. They have one of the largest fan bases in professional sports so that's not saying much...

Missouri is, and always has been (back to Civil War days), a border state.

Missouri sent troops to BOTH sides in the civil war.
40,000 to the south, and nearly 100,000 to the North.

That state is RICH with history.

Little known fact: For a time, the Capitol of Missouri was Neosho.

That's pretty dang close to Fayetteville, and smack dab in the mix of Ozarkian life.

It's not their fault that their state spans a lot of latitude. Most Missourians I have interacted with were not much different at all from me, having been born and raised in Northwest Arkansas.

All that being said, screw them. Go Hogs.

HogFanatic

Speaking of Missouri and rivalries...

The Missouri/Kansas rivalry literally goes back to the Civil War.
I have been studying that sort of stuff to see if I can find a good fit for Arkansas for a rivalry going back into history, and Missouri is literally the only state that fits the bill going back into history, near as I can tell.

The Missouri troops were a bunch of pud-wackers with no discipline (confederate troops that is) and we sided with them trying to help them repell the federals who had already overtaken their state capitol. Because of that, a pretty impressive fighting force composed of Arkansans and Texans eventually lost control of Northwest Arkansas for good to the federals a full year before the war was over.

Missouri sucks.
They always have.
Their men are soft and their women are loose.

KennyForAD

Quote from: carolinahogger on November 27, 2014, 05:30:28 pm
Who cares if it is a rivalry or not?  I don't get this need to have a "main rival".  It is an SEC game so it is important. 

All this crap reminds me of a bunch of junior high girl drama.  Luckily it seems that a few of the fans are the only ones involved in it.

Real rivalries are always between teams on about the same level.  No one would mind if they had manufactured a rivalry with a school which had some cred.  Mizzou has never won anything, even a conference championship, ever.   What irks people is that the made up rivalry tag makes it look like we are lower tier, like Mizzou.

HogFanatic

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 27, 2014, 11:25:54 pm
Real rivalries are always between teams on about the same level.  No one would mind if they had manufactured a rivalry with a school which had some cred.  Mizzou has never won anything, even a conference championship, ever.   What irks people is that the made up rivalry tag makes it look like we are lower tier, like Mizzou.

Missouri is in the SEC, right?
They were invited in, yes?

Like Arkansas a number of years ago, yes?
Since then, Arkansas has not won a conference title themselves, no?

These two teams are a lot alike, like it or not.

popcornhog

Wait, the ending seemed to be unrelated to the rest of the post.

Obviously this isn't yet a rivalry, but if even half of the state is as fired up about Mizzou as you are, it'll blossum into a spectacular rivalry.

I'm not sure what you're getting at re: Kansas City. I've lived in KC for about a year -- awesome city, great food, friendly folks. KC is primarily Jayhawks alumni anyway. There certainly are a lot of Mizzou partisans, but it's Jayhawk country. I'm not sure what your cultural point is. Missouri is a Midwestern state, but it's not that different from Arkansas. People love hunting, fishing, football, baseball, and barbecue.

Finally -- I'm not sure about you, but I get excited for every single game. I think most people are with me on that.
WPS

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on November 27, 2014, 11:31:29 pm
Missouri is in the SEC, right?
They were invited in, yes?

Like Arkansas a number of years ago, yes?
Since then, Arkansas has not won a conference title themselves, no?

These two teams are a lot alike, like it or not.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.   Forget that Arkansas has twice been recognized as N.C.'s, won the SWC 13 times and was a perennial top ten team before joining the SEC and has won the west 3 times.....    and just make out that we are pretty much Mizzou these days.   :puke:

Vandy.is in SEC too.  Charter member.   

popcornhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 27, 2014, 11:39:33 pm
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.   Forget that Arkansas has twice been recognized as N.C.'s, won the SWC 13 times and was a perennial top ten team before joining the SEC and has won the west 3 times.....    and just make out that we are pretty much Mizzou these days.   :puke:

Vandy.is in SEC too.  Charter member.   

Oh Christ, you're one of those people that claims two NC's?

Explains a lot.

There was some guy on here for awhile that claimed we had won 4.
WPS

KennyForAD

Quote from: popcornhog on November 27, 2014, 11:44:27 pm
Oh Christ, you're one of those people that claims two NC's?

Explains a lot.

There was some guy on here for awhile that claimed we had won 4.

No.  I don't claim any as there has never been a playoff or tangible means of winning a 'championship."   We were RECOGNIZED as NC after 1964 and after 1977.   Also, if you looked it up, you would learn the the NCAA lists us as having been recognized as NC in 1977.

The fact that you think that people who 'claim' to have been recognized for two championships, JUST AS THE NCAA DOES, has something wrong with them ... says a lot about you, actually.

Since you seem to know nothing about football NC's of the past, there was never a playoff or agreed means of determining a champion prior to the BCS.   Various organizations including the AP, UPI, Football Writers, and others VOTED on who they thought was the best team and RECOGNIZED that team as NC.   Many years the various organizations selected different teams.

popcornhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 27, 2014, 11:50:51 pm
No.  I don't claim any as there has never been a playoff or tangible means of winning a 'championship."   We were RECOGNIZED as NC after 1964 and after 1977.   Also, if you looked it up, you would learn the the NCAA lists us as having been recognized as NC in 1977.

The fact that you think that people who 'claim' to have been recognized for two championships, JUST AS THE NCAA DOES, has something wrong with them ... says a lot about you, actually.

Since you seem to know nothing about football NC's of the past, there was never a playoff or agreed means of determining a champion prior to the BCS.   Various organizations including the AP, UPI, Football Writers, and others VOTED on who they thought was the best team and RECOGNIZED that team as NC.   Many years the various organizations selected different teams.

Lolcatz
WPS

KennyForAD

Quote from: popcornhog on November 27, 2014, 11:58:53 pm
Lolcatz

If you have any cogent counter argument to the point I'm making, or if you can manage to address it in any sensible way, I'd like to hear it.  For example, if you think that there is no real danger of Arkansas losing prestige by permanently being cast as 'on par' with Mizzou, I would disagree, but respect your opinion.   Haven't seen anything you have said, however, that is worthy of any response other than to point out how senseless it is.

Whether you agree, or even comprehend, that Arkansas has been recognized TWICE as NC per the NCAA, has no bearing on the topic.  Just a derail..

popcornhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 28, 2014, 12:07:27 am
If you have any cogent counter argument to the point I'm making, or if you can manage to address it in any sensible way, I'd like to hear it.  For example, if you think that there is no real danger of Arkansas losing prestige by permanently being cast as 'on par' with Mizzou, I would disagree, but respect your opinion.   Having seen anything you have said, however, that is worthy of any response other than to point out how senseless it is.

Norte Dame was recognized by every major publication in 1977 and you know it. It makes us look absurd as a fan base when we reach for something like that. When the Football Writers Association, AP, NFF, and UPI all vote you as #1, that's considered unanimous. That is why I'm laughing at you.

I get that you want a rival in par with Texas or LSU, but LSU already has historic rivalries. Even Texas never considered us a primary rival.

Do I consider Mizzou to be as big of a game, year in and year out, as LSU? Hell no. But we are a team without a rival, as is Missouri. Our fan bases hate each other. Our states border one another. Why not declare them to be a rival?

Is it contrived? Yes.

Are we a stronger program? I think so. So let's own them.
WPS

KennyForAD

Quote from: popcornhog on November 28, 2014, 12:17:34 am
Norte Dame was recognized by every major publication in 1977 and you know it. It makes us look absurd as a fan base when we reach for something like that. When the Football Writers Association, AP, NFF, and UPI all vote you as #1, that's considered unanimous. That is why I'm laughing at you.

I get that you want a rival in par with Texas or LSU, but LSU already has historic rivalries. Even Texas never considered us a primary rival.

Do I consider Mizzou to be as big of a game, year in and year out, as LSU? Hell no. But we are a team without a rival, as is Missouri. Our fan bases hate each other. Our states border one another. Why not declare them to be a rival?

Is it contrived? Yes.

Are we a stronger program? I think so. So let's own them.

Well, I'm glad you are getting to feel better about yourself by laughing at someone.  Maybe you should write the NCAA and ask them to remove us from its list of schools who were recognized as 1977 champs. 

There's nothing we can do about being assigned a 'rival' anyway.  I don't like it, and I really don't like being associated with Mizzou.  Sorry if I bothered you with my pointless topic.  You can go back to belittling other people now.

popcornhog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 28, 2014, 12:23:01 am
Well, I'm glad you are getting to feel better about yourself by laughing at someone.  Maybe you should write the NCAA and ask them to remove us from its list of schools who were recognized as 1977 champs. 

There's nothing we can do about being assigned a 'rival' anyway.  I don't like it, and I really don't like being associated with Mizzou.  Sorry if I bothered you with my pointless topic.  You can go back to belittling other people now.

I just took a gander at the NCAA website.

I believe you that the NCAA may note minor publications somewhere but claiming that we are the 77 national champion is absurd. It deserves to be mocked so that others don't think it's ok to walk around claiming that title.

[attachment deleted by admin]
WPS

redeye

I don't get the point in doing this?  If it's anger for LSU no longer being our last game, does it really mean that much to you?  I was an Arkansas fan long before LSU was our last game and it's all the same to me.  But then again, I am excited about playing Missouri and I don't sit around pretending they're no good.

KennyForAD

Quote from: popcornhog on November 28, 2014, 12:38:14 am
I just took a gander at the NCAA website.

I believe you that the NCAA may note minor publications somewhere but claiming that we are the 77 national champion is absurd. It deserves to be mocked so that others don't think it's ok to walk around claiming that title.

Man, what is with the obsession over this?    Sorry that you don't recognize the organization that recognized us as NC.   But its really kind of silly, isn't it?   I NEVER said Arkansas won that championship, as you suggest, did I?   I very carefully stated Arkansas was RECOGNIZED.   I normally do that because there never has been any form of tangible championship in major football, and EVERY NC until now has been nothing but opinion.  Its never even been claimed to be more than opinion prior to the BCS. 

Regarding the NCAA list.  I'm surprised to see what you posted as I clearly remember seeing an NCAA list which named us, and the polls, groups or whatever in whose opinion we we 'NC's.'   I'll bet you saw it too, as it was posted here by the guy who claimed 4.   But I really, really don't give a rats arse.   It doesn't have any bearing on the point made, does it?

KennyForAD

Quote from: redeye on November 28, 2014, 12:41:48 am
I don't get the point in doing this?  If it's anger for LSU no longer being our last game, does it really mean that much to you?  I was an Arkansas fan long before LSU was our last game and it's all the same to me.  But then again, I am excited about playing Missouri and I don't sit around pretending they're no good.

Good for you.  And if it bothers you when others discuss things that you don't 'get,' then maybe www.sitandspin.com is a better fit for you.

Augustus

Do we really need a "true" rival? We've never really had one.

We play in the toughest division/conference in College Football. If we win our division/conference, we're playing for a National Championship.

The thing about "Rivalry Week" is... so many fans base their season on it.  Did you beat your Rival? Yes? Then, it was a successful season...

Bama & Auburn, Michigan & tOSU, Ole Miss & Miss State, etc... if they win those games, but have an otherwise disappointing/lackluster season, some still consider the season "a Win".

It's shortsighted, in my opinion. We've seen the Bielema/Long haters say "so, getting to a bowl game makes a successful season?" or... "getting 7-8 wins is a successful season?"

And, thus..."what has become of our program and Hog Fans psyche?!"

I would rather not have a "true" rival, and start winning conference titles/ national championships. I'd rather not base the success of my season on the outcome of one game.

To continue to fawn over not having a true rival, in our conference, is a bit Little Brother Syndrome, to me. It almost sounds like stAte continuing to bitch about the Hogs not playing them.

We have bigger fish to fry, than one "true" rival. And, it's time we started cooking.

IMHO  :razorback:

KennyForAD

Quote from: Augustus on November 28, 2014, 01:01:29 am

We play in the toughest division/conference in College Football. If we win our division/conference, we're playing for a National Championship.

The thing about "Rivalry Week" is... so many fans base their season on it.  Did you beat your Rival? Yes? Then, it was a successful season...

Bama & Auburn, Michigan & tOSU, Ole Miss & Miss State, etc... if they win those games, but have an otherwise disappointing/lackluster season, some still consider the season "a Win".

It's shortsighted, in my opinion. We've seen the Bielema/Long haters say "so, getting to a bowl game makes a successful season?" or... "getting 7-8 wins is a successful season?"

I would rather not have a "true" rival, and start winning conference titles/ national championships. I'd rather not base the success of my season on the outcome of one game.

To continue to fawn over not having a true rival, in our conference, is a bit Little Brother Syndrome, to me. It almost sounds like stAte continuing to bitch about the Hogs not playing them.

We have bigger fish to fry, than one "true" rival. And, it's time we started cooking.

Agreed.  All the whining about not having a rival is really lame.  The only way it could be any lamer would be... having a pretend rival. 

redeye

Good point Augustus.

Rivalry Week is simply an invention by the media for ratings.  Just because they say it's a rivalry, doesn't make it so.  But at the same time, what's the harm in it?  It's good exposure and should make the game more exciting.

Rison Razor Hog

Although I am really not too worked up about it, I agree with your sentiments, here. Let's get to cookin'!
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

edcm1

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 27, 2014, 05:11:59 pm
That all means nothing.

Tomorrow afternoon more people and more recruits than have watched Arkansas play all year long will tune in to watch and assume it is a rivalry.  They will see Arkansas deny their "rival" the SEC East Championship and potentially alter the playoff race.  Vern and Gary will gush on endlessly about Arkansas as a contender in 2015.  The team will grab whatever goofy trophy they've come up with for this one and sing the fight song with the Hog fans who made the trip.  And Bret will be grinning like the cat who ate the canary.

That's what rivalries are all about.

Vern and Gary never gush about the Hogs unless the opponent blasts us in some fashion. The other night, it didn't matter what we did, it was all about what ole miss needed to do to beat us and then just went bat sh#% crazy when they thought the rebs were going to score. I believe I detected a bit of disappointment when we picked off that pass in the end zone and returned it for 6. I wish those two never called another game. Hate them as announcers.
NYJMSU !!

TheGrove68

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 27, 2014, 11:25:54 pm

Mizzou has 15 conf. Titles 5 Division titles and 2 NC poling and Anderson & Hester we claim neither. IMO Ark. Has a richer history but we are not devoid of all success.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

Zoufan

"Ah the gift o God be give us to see ourselves as others see us."  Robert Burns said something applicable to most football teams long ago.  I see arguments here much like the last wave of imigrants from Europe who were distained in our country on arrival by those arriving a couple decades earlier and still disliked by those "blue bloods" arriving earlier.   

It's kind of humorous to watch this site for the only football week most Mizzou supporters care about Arkansas to read many trying to claim they are too tradition rich and too powerful a program to be hooked up in an end of year contest with their neigboring state.  I've read that Missouri fans "don't understand the SEC"   Okay.

Beyond the contradiction of Arkansas' recent poor record, I believe like Mizzou fans and fans of likely 80% of big 5 conference members many here have a much higher opinion of your teams place than is shared by the conference or the nation at large. 

Before entering the SEC I assure you, I never thought about Arkansas when I thought of the SEC.   You thought about Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU.   Arkansas like Mizzou is one of the "other programs".  Playing LSU one time or another won't change that.  Playing a team people see as superior to you doesn't rub off and change their perception of "nice little program".

Most Mizzou fans wanted to play ATM as cross division rival, because of recruiting Texas in years past.  They were pretty ambivalent about a rivalry and still are.  Today is just another day at the office in the SEC.  Would not make a difference if we were playing Vandy or Bama, win and you are in a conference championship game.  Losing will feel the same.   Now in a real rivalry like Kansas where all Tigers really hated them or army Navy, the game itself was huge and the success or failure was long lasting. 

Neither of these programs are likely going to be what pops to mind when people think of the SEC elite anytime soon.   But like TCU and Baylor or Wisconsin or Arizona State in other conferences, at anytime one can overachieve and beat the blue bloods.  Ruining a shot at that in the last game of season will likely help a rivalry develope.   Gotta play somebody each year glad it's in relatively easy driving distance.   Saw lots of Arkansas plates on the hotel parking lot last night.  Thanks for contributing to our economy. 😃. We promise to do our best not to sully your reputation by telling anyone you played the unworthy new immigrant to the conference?  It will be our little secret.

popcornhog

Quote from: Zoufan on November 28, 2014, 06:38:38 am
"Ah the gift o God be give us to see ourselves as others see us."  Robert Burns said something applicable to most football teams long ago.  I see arguments here much like the last wave of imigrants from Europe who were distained in our country on arrival by those arriving a couple decades earlier and still disliked by those "blue bloods" arriving earlier.   

It's kind of humorous to watch this site for the only football week most Mizzou supporters care about Arkansas to read many trying to claim they are too tradition rich and too powerful a program to be hooked up in an end of year contest with their neigboring state.  I've read that Missouri fans "don't understand the SEC"   Okay.

Beyond the contradiction of Arkansas' recent poor record, I believe like Mizzou fans and fans of likely 80% of big 5 conference members many here have a much higher opinion of your teams place than is shared by the conference or the nation at large. 

Before entering the SEC I assure you, I never thought about Arkansas when I thought of the SEC.   You thought about Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU.   Arkansas like Mizzou is one of the "other programs".  Playing LSU one time or another won't change that.  Playing a team people see as superior to you doesn't rub off and change their perception of "nice little program".

Most Mizzou fans wanted to play ATM as cross division rival, because of recruiting Texas in years past.  They were pretty ambivalent about a rivalry and still are.  Today is just another day at the office in the SEC.  Would not make a difference if we were playing Vandy or Bama, win and you are in a conference championship game.  Losing will feel the same.   Now in a real rivalry like Kansas where all Tigers really hated them or army Navy, the game itself was huge and the success or failure was long lasting. 

Neither of these programs are likely going to be what pops to mind when people think of the SEC elite anytime soon.   But like TCU and Baylor or Wisconsin or Arizona State in other conferences, at anytime one can overachieve and beat the blue bloods.  Ruining a shot at that in the last game of season will likely help a rivalry develope.   Gotta play somebody each year glad it's in relatively easy driving distance.   Saw lots of Arkansas plates on the hotel parking lot last night.  Thanks for contributing to our economy. 😃. We promise to do our best not to sully your reputation by telling anyone you played the unworthy new immigrant to the conference?  It will be our little secret.

We've got a few really big idiots in out fanbase. Sorry for that.

I'm looking forward to the game this afternoon, as are most of our fans. Most of us don't care about the "rivalry" one way or another. Just a couple of select folks with an inflated ego.

Here's to an injury free game, go hogs!
WPS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 27, 2014, 04:19:47 pm
If they want a basketball rival they joined the wrong conference lol. This is yet another example of how they don't fit in the SEC.

And some in the SEC before we joined said we didn't fit either. Florida isn't any better fit culturally than us or Mizzou especially east and south Florida. Come on man.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I guess you don't know geography. A lot of Arkansas and Missouri are similar both physically and culturally. Here's a shocker for you not all of Arkansas is rooted in the old south Delta geographically and plantation type days culturally..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

November 28, 2014, 07:34:09 am #40 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:22:44 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: geauxhawgs on November 27, 2014, 09:42:11 pm

You could say the same in the opposite directions for Arkansas.................................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on November 27, 2014, 10:42:10 pm
Missouri is, and always has been (back to Civil War days), a border state.

Missouri sent troops to BOTH sides in the civil war.
40,000 to the south, and nearly 100,000 to the North.

That state is RICH with history.

Little known fact: For a time, the Capitol of Missouri was Neosho.

That's pretty dang close to Fayetteville, and smack dab in the mix of Ozarkian life.

It's not their fault that their state spans a lot of latitude. Most Missourians I have interacted with were not much different at all from me, having been born and raised in Northwest Arkansas.

All that being said, screw them. Go Hogs.

In some historians eyes Arkansas was considered a border state as well:
Even some in the state were pro union and part of the state voted against secession. Some even think that IF there had been enough people in the northern part of the state then Arkansas could very well have "split" like Virginia did.

The state of Arkansas was a part of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War, and provided a source of troops, supplies, and military and political leaders. Arkansas had become the 25th state of the United States, on June 15, 1836, entering as a slave state. Antebellum Arkansas was still a wilderness in most areas, rural and sparsely populated. As a result, it did not have early military significance when states began seceding from the Union. State Militia forces seized the Federal Arsenal in Little Rock before Arkansas actually voted to secede. The small Federal garrison was forced to evacuate after a demand by Arkansas Governor Rector that the arsenal be turned over to state authority. At the beginning of 1861, the population of Arkansas, like several states of the Upper South, was not keen to secede on average, but it was also opposed to Federal coercion of seceding states. This was shown by the results of state convention referendum in February 1861. The referendum passed, but the majority of the delegates elected were conditional unionist in sympathy, rather than outright secessionist. This changed after the Confederacy attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, and President Abraham Lincoln called for troops to put down the rebellion. The move toward open war shifted public opinion into the secessionist camp, and Arkansas declared its secession from the Union on May 6, 1861.

Inhogswetrust

Bingo!  You do NOT have to have or need what some call a "rival" in sports. No one game year in and year out is any more important than any of the others.

sigpooie

I hate Ole miss cause my grandfather told me about the wms game back in the 60s
I hate LSU cause they beat us a lot
I hate Aub cause they cheat
I hate Alabama cause they took the best coach ever raised in Ark and they beat us a lot by cheating  a lot
I hate GA out of respect
I hate FL cause I know they cheat and have better weather
I hate KY because of basketball
I hate TN because of the 80 year old woman that threw the whisky bottle at me after we beat them back in 92.
I hate SC cause, well it's like hating your little brother for getting attention you should have gotten.
I hate MO, even though my wife was born there,  for all the basketball games that made me loose my voice for a few days after, back in the 80s. Norm Sucks in hard on the vocal cords when you scream it as loud as we did. And I hate them for getting a better start in this conf than we did. WE can stop them with this game..
Oh and I hate any school with the word Texas in the title, pretty much since birth.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

razorbackkid

Quote from: sigpooie on November 28, 2014, 08:49:45 am
I hate Alabama cause they took the best coach ever raised in Ark and they beat us a lot by cheating  a lot
I hate GA out of respect
I hate TN because of the 80 year old woman that threw the whisky bottle at me after we beat them back in 92.
I hate SC cause, well it's like hating your little brother for getting attention you should have gotten.
I hate MO, even though my wife was born there,  for all the basketball games that made me loose my voice for a few days after, back in the 80s. Norm Sucks in hard on the vocal cords when you scream it as loud as we did. And I hate them for getting a better start in this conf than we did. WE can stop them with this game..
Oh and I hate any school with the word Texas in the title, pretty much since birth.

What?  No hate for Ms. St. ? 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Augustus

Quote from: sigpooie on November 28, 2014, 08:49:45 am
I hate GA out of respect

I understand that, and agree. But, not having that one team, that you and everyone else (even non-Hogs fans) just KNOW off the bat that you hate above everyone else?  We don't have a rival.

We just play in a tough ass conference.

sigpooie

Yes, Miss st ,, that's a hard one except for the fact that they cheated to get camm and as usual miss st style,, lost that deal too.. Plus they are usually what you and I would call the replacement for Ark State..
When we where in the Swc it was Texas, Am and smu that we hated the most. then SMU went all Aulburn on the conf and got everyone in trouble.. The rest of the conf was like playing the neighbors kid, you know the one that was 20 lbs lighter than you.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson