Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Columbia Tribune: Arkansas-Missouri Pre Game Rundown

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, November 27, 2014, 03:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

MISSOURI STORYLINES

Defense Wins What Again?: If the old adage is true -- that defense wins championships -- these two teams certainly have been on their best behavior for a championship shot lately. It's just, you know, Missouri actually is in the running and Arkansas is not.

Tight Margins: Both of these teams have been in three games that were decided by seven points or fewer this season. One of these teams is 2-1 in such games. The other is 0-3. And there you have the difference between Missouri and Arkansas this year.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/behind_the_stripes/pre-game-rundown-arkansas-at-missouri/article_3283f8a8-75b6-11e4-875e-171fb5f628ed.html

Profiles both Arkansas and Mizzou headed into our game tomorrow.
Go Hogs Go!

SPAL

One team lost to Indiana at home, the other destroyed Texas tech on the road. That is the difference between Arkansas and Missouri.

Birminghog

Tight Margins: Both of these teams have been in three games that were decided by seven points or fewer this season. One of these teams is 2-1 in such games. The other is 0-3.

That will still be true at the end of the day tomorrow, because this game will not be decided by seven points or fewer.

Magic_Hogg

ell I can see will not be subscribing to Columbia Tribune for sports any time soon.

Hawgey-Davidson

Our schedule against theirs. For them no Awbarn, no Bama, no LSu, no Ms State. Did I miss anyone?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 27, 2014, 03:47:42 pm
Our schedule against theirs. For them no Awbarn, no Bama, no LSu, no Ms State. Did I miss anyone?

They conveniently leave that out of the discussion.
Go Hogs Go!

jjdlc

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 27, 2014, 03:47:42 pm

No ole miss.

BatesvilleHOG

One team plays in the SEC West, the other plays in the SEC East. THAT is the real difference between Mizzou and Arkansas this year.

Mizzou lost to Indiana and got shut out at HOME by Georgia. That alone tells me all I need to know about the Tigers.

Play our game and we'll win convincingly.

BigoBoys

reddogjcss

On paper he's right but on the field it's another story!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 27, 2014, 04:47:26 pm
They predicted we would win

Yes, he did. Which doesn't really line up with everything that he wrote.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 27, 2014, 05:28:31 pm

That threw me, too. I kept reading how Missouri has all the advantages, and he was starting to almost have me convinced, then he picked us.

TMc

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 27, 2014, 04:47:26 pm
They predicted we would win

Yeah, after reading all that I expected a 10 point Mizzou win.., but he did predict Arkansas by 4

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 27, 2014, 07:40:24 pm
That threw me, too. I kept reading how Missouri has all the advantages, and he was starting to almost have me convinced, then he picked us.

So one person wrote the article, detailing how good Missouri is and how bad Arkansas is, listing multiple reasons as to why Missouri will shred Arkansas, he submits it in to his Editor, his Editor reads it, shakes his head, and adds his own pick? :) 

I'm kidding of course, but after all that stuff he wrote, he sure took a weird 180 degree turn in his pick.

A bi-polar writer? ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Corkscrew Johnson

Hahhaaha, their close games were against Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  Ours were against the #1 and #4 teams in the country.  That's the difference between Missouri and Arkansas. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 28, 2014, 06:39:25 am
Hahhaaha, their close games were against Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  Ours were against the #1 and #4 teams in the country.  That's the difference between Missouri and Arkansas. 

But did you notice that in the end, he picked Arkansas to win?
Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

MIZZOU is big J-School.  Writer is prob alum.  Burying the lead and/or the bottom line is the order of the day.  Fluff and fill to get enough inches and then the truth is somewhere near the end. 

Typcial fishwrap article writing.

acepoker

I believe he was appealing to his audience. When it came to who he thought was the better team, he chose us. JMO

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

secfan30

Just like someone from Mizzo, talking about how much better they are than you but in the end their complete lack of a spine shows through. That's the difference between someone from Mizzo and someone from Texas... 

secfan30

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 28, 2014, 08:17:53 am
I miss the old Sears catalog..............................

The bra and panty section was my friend for years

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Sir Oinksalot

...Arkansas has been baffling....plays greater than the sum of its parts...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: secfan30 on November 28, 2014, 08:21:47 am
The bra and panty section was my friend for years

Things are much more enlightening now!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Mizzou's loss to Indiana is weird...makes it hard for me to take them seriously.

But other than that you can't deny they have for the most part taken care of business this season...and control their own destiny to another trip to Atlanta.

Going on the road and continuing our defensive prowess wont be easy, but I think the Hogs are up to the task. I've always believed winning and losing was contagious...I think we keep the win streak going today with continued excellent defensive play and a stout running game.

I said at the beginning of the year whatever measurable success we may have this year would most likely be on the tail of our new defensive coach/scheme. That has basically turned out to be true...they have played lights out from mid season on and I think that trend continues today. It's a good feeling as a fan having that kind of confidence in the defense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rogers-hog

Quote from: acepoker on November 28, 2014, 08:00:27 am
I believe he was appealing to his audience. When it came to who he thought was the better team, he chose us. JMO

He's trying to give us the ole stinkeye by picking us since they believe they have been disrespected and  picked against all year.

mutiger91

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 28, 2014, 09:17:55 am
Mizzou's loss to Indiana is weird...makes it hard for me to take them seriously.

Indiana was the perfect storm:

Mizzou had a ton of turnover from last year's team.  Most had us picked 4th in the East.  Specific to the Indiana game:

• At WR we lost the top 3 if you include DGB.  Then we had a dismissal right before the season.  Our top 3 were Sasser, White and Hunt.  White was out for the Indiana game.  Hunt may have played some, but he was hurt, so we were essentially  playing Sasser plus 2-3 freshmen.  They weren't on the same page with Mauk.
  • At DE we lost 2 guys to the NFL in Ealy and Sam.  Markus Golden was also out for this game, so we needed significant time from the young guys.
  • We also have a youg secondary who weren't playing that well early in the year
  • Our starting RG was knocked out early in the IU game and they moved the pieces around on the line.  Our new OC had also implemented new snap signals and they were just out of sync.  Evan Boehm is a 3rd year starter at center.  In that game, something was off and most of the snaps were high.

The Georgia game was just Mauk struggling with his receivers and 5 turnovers.  The offense couldn't get moving and the D spent 45 minutes of the game defending short fields.  The one thing he has been getting better at is putting the ball in the right place on shorter throws.  At the beginning of the year he loved the long ball, but he was all over the place on screens.  Some of that is certainly facing defenses where he has more time, but I think he has a better concept of where people will be.

I guess that doesn't say a whole lot about today's game  I think our weaknesses are still those exposed by Indiana and Georgia, but they aren't the glaring weaknesses that they were back then.

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 27, 2014, 05:28:31 pm

Well, journalism isn't what it use to be and MU is suppose to be a top tier journalism school, so there's that.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PigTimePlayer

One team plays in a division where every team is going bowling and all of their conference games were against teams ranked when they played them, and the other team did not . . . and there you have the difference between Arkansas and Missouri.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys