Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want the Hogs to really have that WOW factor, despite its record? Here's what needs to happen...

Started by Doug, November 27, 2014, 11:17:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

* Auburn needs to beat Alabama in a close game (7 points or less) - Gives our close game to Bama a lot more credibility.

* UGA needs to squash Georgia Tech - the only teams to play UGA tougher than we did was USC-e and Tennessee.

* LSU needs to beat TAMU by at least 2 TDs - We dropped the ball on TAMU in the 4th... but decimated LSU. An LSU win here eases the bite of the TAMU loss.

* Miss State needs to squash Ole Miss (shut out possible?) - Ole Miss is already demoralized after starting so strong. A thorough dominating defeat of the Rebels makes us look even stronger, especially given that we played MSU so tough and lost at the last second (which is normal for the Hogs vs MSU games, no matter who the winner is).

* Florida needs to shut down Florida State. While this has NO bearing on the Hogs season, this will shake up the CFP into the scenario below...

* Hogs need to handle their thang against the Tiggers³. If we end up shutting them out... we could get an even bigger bowl, especially if the above scenarios play out. Finish strong like this, and I wouldn't be surprised by one of the upper echelon bowls indicates interest in the rapidly rising Hogs.

Yes, this sets up a Miss State vs UGA SEC CG, with the winner going into the CFP. If MSU wins, they'll finish #1 or #2 in the CFP standings, which then sets it up as follows:

#1 Oregon vs #4 Ohio State (IF they can move up enough - that VA Tech loss still haunts 'em)
#2 Miss State vs #3 TCU or #3 Baylor
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Doug on November 27, 2014, 11:17:51 am
* Auburn needs to beat Alabama in a close game (7 points or less) - Gives our close game to Bama a lot more credibility.

* UGA needs to squash Georgia Tech - the only teams to play UGA tougher than we did was USC-e and Tennessee.

* LSU needs to beat TAMU by at least 2 TDs - We dropped the ball on TAMU in the 4th... but decimated LSU. An LSU win here eases the bite of the TAMU loss.

* Miss State needs to squash Ole Miss (shut out possible?) - Ole Miss is already demoralized after starting so strong. A thorough dominating defeat of the Rebels makes us look even stronger, especially given that we played MSU so tough and lost at the last second (which is normal for the Hogs vs MSU games, no matter who the winner is)

* Hogs need to handle their thang against the Tiggers³. If we end up shutting them out... we could get an even bigger bowl, especially if the above scenarios play out. Finish strong like this, and I wouldn't be surprised by one of the upper echelon bowls indicates interest in the rapidly rising Hogs.
While I agree the Hogs need to take care of business Friday against the Tigers, IMO if you've watched or listened to anything pertaining to college football of late the Hogs have the WOW factor in spades already. Doesn't necessarily depend on how other teams finish up. It's widely recognized the Hogs have played the (likely) most difficult schedule in many, many years and generally done very well doing it. BTW while I also agree that it'd be fantastic for one of the upper echelon bowls to chose us, even with all the nationwide "love" it isn't going to happen-at least not this year.  :razorback:

PonderinHog

At this point, I'd would rather see other conferences implode, to go along with a Hog win.  that would be special.

yraciv

I agree with most of your scenarios, but there is no reason for us to need Auburn to win.  That was our first game of the season, and has little bearing on establishing how good we are now.  We need two SEC teams in the playoff period! If that doesn't happen Bama or MS State slide into the Orange Bowl, and everyone else goes down a notch.  We need a Bama win and an MSU blowout so they can secure  a spot even without going to the SEC championship.  Then we need OSU or TCU to lose games or look very unimpressive.  That combo with your other scenarios works well for us.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 27, 2014, 11:23:15 am
While I agree the Hogs need to take care of business Friday against the Tigers, IMO if you've watched or listened to anything pertaining to college football of late the Hogs have the WOW factor in spades already. Doesn't necessarily depend on how other teams finish up. It's widely recognized the Hogs have played the (likely) most difficult schedule in many, many years and generally done very well doing it. BTW while I also agree that it'd be fantastic for one of the upper echelon bowls to chose us, even with all the nationwide "love" it isn't going to happen-at least not this year.  :razorback:

Last week a Vegas insider tweeted out that if the Hogs were to play FSU on a neutral field that Arkansas would only be 1.5 point underdogs.  While this really means nothing in the fact that Arkansas will not play FSU, it does underscore the strength of the SECW.  That, in and of itself, may well put Arkansas in a much better bowl if what Doug outlined comes into fruition.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Big Hogga

Wouldn't a Bama beat down on Aubie make our loss look better?  Or would that make our loss to the Barners look worse? I'm not trying to be snarky btw, I just thought it was best for us if Bama won. Can they both lose? That be even better!
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Sir Winston Churchill

beachhawg

Doesn't matter about any of the other games.  The hogs need to have another stellar game and it will fall where it may.
Actually, Bama has to beat auburn or the conference looks bad.  Our game against auburn is way too long ago to have any implications positive or negative. Bama and Miss St must win.  Florida needs to beat FSU.  Oregon St needs to beat Oregon. Then all will look good.
Arkansas needs to take care of Mizzou, and it will fall in place

ronmahony

That would be good, but I don't see auburn beating Bama but who knows? Didn't see them winning last year either.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

flippinhogmana

* Miss State needs to squash Ole Miss (shut out possible?) - Ole Miss is already demoralized after starting so strong. A thorough dominating defeat of the Rebels makes us look even stronger, especially given that we played MSU so tough and lost at the last second (which is normal for the Hogs vs MSU games, no matter who the winner is).

* Florida needs to shut down Florida State. While this has NO bearing on the Hogs season, this will shake up the CFP into the scenario below...

Yes, this sets up a Miss State vs UGA SEC CG, with the winner going into the CFP. If MSU wins, they'll finish #1 or #2 in the CFP standings, which then sets it up as follows:

#1 Oregon vs #4 Ohio State (IF they can move up enough - that VA Tech loss still haunts 'em)

Sorry, Douglas, oh eminent one, I just don't get (or don't see it the same way) your take on a couple of the implications of games.  I do have to be careful in answering someone who at least in characterization walks like a bulldog (or is that a bear), so here goes-

One, I think Alabama beating Auburn barely gives us more edge with prognosticators.  It keeps the SEC as dominate in the title game which in helping the conference helps us.  Plus, it would tend to indicate that the early season lopsided loss (in which we really played well for a half, just had one horrible quarter) to Auburn was really an aberration since we should have beaten Alabama having outplayed them.

Two, I would think basically the same about Ole Miss and Ms. State.  A victory of Ole Miss over Miss state would be in our favor, not the other way around.  Since we overcame Ole Miss with a thorough beat down, a victory by them over Ms. State would tend to indicate that their narrow escape (MSU) from us was also "fortunate", that we were the better team over them as well.

I agree basically with the rest of your analysis though.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Doug

You don't have to walk (nor tread carefully) with me... I'm definitely not the same as the years past.

I do expect to be taken to task from time to time, especially if I'm off base, so please, do not restrict yourself like that.

As long as you're constructive about your thoughts and don't resort to petty playground antics, I'm down for whatever. :D

Revise your post as needed, flippinhogmana!
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

flippinhogmana

thanks Doug, I was just tugging on your cape a bit.  I do appreciate being colleagues.  I also have appreciated some of your thoughtful analysis and hard work in compiling some things I have seen in your posts in the past.  wps.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: yraciv on November 27, 2014, 11:35:29 am
I agree with most of your scenarios, but there is no reason for us to need Auburn to win.  That was our first game of the season, and has little bearing on establishing how good we are now.  We need two SEC teams in the playoff period! If that doesn't happen Bama or MS State slide into the Orange Bowl, and everyone else goes down a notch.  We need a Bama win and an MSU blowout so they can secure  a spot even without going to the SEC championship.  Then we need OSU or TCU to lose games or look very unimpressive.  That combo with your other scenarios works well for us.

agreed, screw auburn.  hope they get  blown out

azhog10

This makes very little sense. I would rather see a possible Bama and MSU in the CFP.

rpmflash

A Hog win and LSU loss puts LSU last in the SEC West, due to head to head tiebreaker.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: yraciv on November 27, 2014, 11:35:29 am
exactly. Auburn loss in game 1 is the anomaly.

For Arkansas, we want to be the heir apparent in the west. So go bama, go state. State will drop next year regardless. Shutting down Ole Piss and Auburn's upward tragectory is paramount.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SPAL

I would rather LSU lose so that we hold the tie breaker and can claim we finished ahead of them.

jdevers

I would say that Florida played UGA "pretty tough" since they won by 18.

For us to show the most "wow factor", we could shutout Mizzou and our bowl opponent.  The SEC basically determines bowl matchups and we aren't going to get preferential treatment.  But the entire off-season, Espn will talk about how much better we are if we shutout four teams in a row...possibly four ranked teams.

Huckleberry Pig

Shoot completely forgot about LSU possibly finishing behind us if they lose....

I had wanted a&m to get smoked but I guess I'm gonna have to pull for them

jjdlc

Normally agree with you on most stuff, but I really want Bama to beat Auburn.  For no other reason than I want to see the selection committee squirm.  If Bama wins and Msu wins big, and Florida can pull the upset, the committee is going to be very hard pressed to keep 2 one loss SECW teams out of the playoff.

I think the Florida upset is completely possible,  if FSU sleep walks through the first 3 quarters like they have much of the year, FLs defense may be more than they can handle to make the comeback.

The real Hogules

I think a Bama beat down of Auburn would help us far more than an AU victory.
First, we just played Bama a few weeks ago and the experts agree we've made great strides as the season's went along.
Secondly, the further down the pecking order Auburn can slide, hopefully it'll effect their recruiting.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Jamie Jones

I never root for anyone in the SEC, except for the Hogs of course, but I hope Gus gets decimated at Bama!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

yraciv

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 27, 2014, 03:31:38 pm
I never root for anyone in the SEC, except for the Hogs of course, but I hope Gus gets decimated at Bama!

I find that funny because Gus had a pretty good LB at Springdale named Jamie Jones.

kaiserhog

reddogjcss

Zoufan

But remember in ..of course the very unlikely event you lose tomorrow..I do believe the game might be close...Arkansas will be a 6-6 team that beat the next worst team in their division and a team reeling from losing their best player with "bad Bo" a turn over machine at the helm.  Then the Hogs would have lost to both of those "weak" east division teams they played this year and won a total of 2 sec games. 

Now I certainly don't claim that you are sure to lose tomorrow, but ATM and Tenner and Florida that curbstomped Georgia all had the same high hopes before playing Mizzou.   Your whole image doesn't rely in any of those other match ups at all...better just worry about winning tomorrow.

While Mizzou has a trip to Atlanta and an opportunity for high national ranking should your dream scenario come to pass..Heck, a final four is possible, if Arkansas doesn't win, they go back to being a team that played better but are not a factor in the SEC.   both teams have a big opportunity tomorrow.   It will all dependent on what happens at the Zou, not anywhere else.

Best of luck......in your bowl game. :)

TexHog188

A road win over Mizzu is all the wow we need. A shutout would be epic. The rest don't matter. Those games are in the past.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

yraciv

Why would anyone say the rest of those games don't matter? Maybe not to us because we're just looking forward, but they matter to somebody and obviously the results of all the SEC games this weekend will have a bearing on where we are playing a bowl game and the national perception of our team.

Cinco de Hogo

We just need to take care of our business and put the strongest team(+) into the playoff. I don't care what their name is and I don't think the scenario's matter that much(to conjolted), just want the best outcome possible for the SEC.  Bama and MSU winning out would be great and we need Bsma to win the SECCG so the west looks strong enough to get two teams in.

Notice I took it for granted that Georgia will be in the SECCG!

As for helping get a better bowl it's fairly simple, you want the best teams to win because we will not pass them in the pecking order but we could pass a falling team like Ole Miss or LSU.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 27, 2014, 08:23:40 pm
We just need to take care of our business and put the strongest team(+) into the playoff. I don't care what their name is and I don't think the scenario's matter that much(to conjolted), just want the best outcome possible for the SEC.  Bama and MSU winning out would be great and we need Bsma to win the SECCG so the west looks strong enough to get two teams in.

Notice I took it for granted that Georgia will be in the SECCG!

As for helping get a better bowl it's fairly simple, you want the best teams to win because we will not pass them in the pecking order but we could pass a falling team like Ole Miss or LSU.
#1 wish is for Hogs to win
#2 wish is for Oregon to lose (avid duck hater)
#3 wish is for Bama to beat Auburn (avid Auburn hater)
#4 wish for the best 4 teams in the playoff regardless of what conference they come from.  I'm not an SEC homer nor any other conference.  Just give me good football and I will enjoy watching.