Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou and Arkansas Rushing D

Started by Hogopotamus, November 26, 2014, 10:58:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogopotamus

Mizzou's rushing D is ranked just behind Arkansas', #23 (125 yds/gm) vs #20 (121 yds/gm) which is worrisome as our offense depends on the run, and if BA ends up out, could decide the game.

Looking at SEC opponents and Indiana (helps their numbers) Mizzou's opponents average 60th in FBS for rushing offense, averaging 181 yds/gm. Mizzou has given up 127 yds/gm against them (70%), which is pretty good. Arkansas averages 226 yds/gm, which would mean we would get 159 yds on Friday, about the same we got against Ole Miss. Important to note, their two losses this year were against the #9 and #12 rushing offenses (Indiana, Georgia) who run similar between the tackles smash mouth football and got very close to their season averages in those games. The next highest ranked rushing offense they faced, Florida, is ranked 37th. Arkansas has the 20th ranked rushing offense.

Arkansas has faced an average of 37th rushing offense, averaging 214 yards per game. Holding that lot to an average of 135 yes/gm (63%) is very good, and the only team to beat their average was Auburn, and anyone can see that our D has improved by leaps and bounds since then.

Overall, I do not think Mizzou will be able to run the ball on us, and I don't envy anyone on the receiving end of a Spaighting. However, whether or not we can run the ball on them effectively is hard to say. We have definitely been hindered this year by opponents stacking the box with 8 - 9 bodies and I see no reason why Mizzou won't try the same thing Friday, BA or AA. I will say I think their rushing D ranking has been inflated by their weaker schedule, and they won't shut down our run game completely (i.e. Bama). Beyond that, can't wait to watch the game   ;D
:razorback:

The_Bionic_Pig

If Missouri can't get to BA with the rush then we win.  They rely very heavily on the pass rush.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

razorbackkid

Wild Hog formation will work against Mizzou.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

TrueBlue

Quote from: razorbackkid on November 27, 2014, 11:50:03 am
Wild Hog formation will work against Mizzou.

Only if we actually run an option out of it. - If we just run up the middle each time, it is too predictable. We need to run the same variation that we ran with D-Mac.

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 26, 2014, 11:20:56 pm
If Missouri can't get to BA with the rush then we win.  They rely very heavily on the pass rush.

If they give up 6 yards per rush to us, they may not get the chance to pass rush.

Been10Hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 27, 2014, 11:58:52 am
Only if we actually run an option out of it. - If we just run up the middle each time, it is too predictable. We need to run the same variation that we ran with D-Mac.
He ran off tackle most of the time