Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People who don't know football, do not read

Started by BPsTheMan, November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am
And those Hurry Up sideline cards didn't work too well for Ole Miss did they?

Would have if they'd had STP Album Girl on one of their cards.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Idahog

I would argue that the thread title is wrong.  People who don't know football, do in fact read.  They just read Harry Potter books.

~WPS
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2014, 07:13:08 am
I don't get the 'hurry up" claim. By the time these guys line up, act like they're about to snap the ball, back off, crane their heads to the sidelines like a row of bobbleheads, read the cartoon cards, look forward again and wait for the snap count they could have huddled up, broke the huddle, lined up and snapped the ball in the almost the same amount of time.

The "hurry up" part is to the line of scrimmage hoping the defense doesn't get lined up quick enough or gets caught trying to make substitutions.  If the defense doesn't the offense snaps the ball using the same play as before with maybe a second option to it. 

I'm not sure when it changed but I seem to remember that once the offensive lineman was set they couldn't raise back up or it would be a procedure penalty.  Or, maybe I just imagined it .  Regardless, that rule need to be made and enforced to put a stop to Meerkat offense. 

Hogarusa

The majority of teams in the CFP top 10 run some form of the HUNH spread offense.  I dont believe we are anywhere close to being able to write it off as cartoonish, gimmicky, and ineffective just yet, are we?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 26, 2014, 09:55:46 am
No doubt, Chaney has done a great job and the Hogs will only get better under him as we add more weapons in the receiving corps. 

As for Gus, St. Gus the Pius is to Auburn as Nutt was to Ole Miss. Gus' HUNH offense has ONLY one advantage over a defense and that's trying to catch a defense out of position when making substitutions.  That's it.  Period!  And when the talent level is remotely close to another team his Mickey Mouse offense is exposed for what it is. 

Malzahn's, and others who use the Meerkat Offense, don't teach players how to adjust for themselves, they are told what to do from the flash cards relayed from the sidelines. That's it and I'm damn glad Arkansas doesn't run that crap.

This was supposed to be Gus' and Auburn's year as all we heard at the beginning of the season was this was Gus' first year to have a returning QB and he was only going to be that much better.  Well, that hasn't worked out so well has it?  I wonder, since a Gus QB is not taught the subtleties of a QB what makes anyone think that a QB would get better with another year's experience?

I have little doubt that Gus will soon leave Auburn as he has a history of being one step ahead of the posse and he only puts himself in positions where he has most of the cards on the deck and his hand is quickly changing at Auburn

Amen brother

And how would the Aubie landscape be looking right now without those absolute miracles against Georgia and Bama last year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Gonzo on November 26, 2014, 10:15:42 am

That's sports in a nutshell. Fans do not care nearly as much about a style that is run as they do about the results. If the constant drum beaters here would just be patient and let BB demonstrate he can win consistently at a high level at Arkansas with his style rather than beat everyone over the head with the drum after two nice wins, they'll probably find most fans are just fine with how he does it.

The folks they think are still pining for the previous coach and his style really were more attached to the results than the style. If he had not been winning as much or had he remained the Hog HC and the results started to drop off, he would have been/become much less popular. If BB wins at a comparable, or better, level, most Hog fans will be just as happy with him.  Likewise, if he doesn't manage to to win at a high level consistently, most fans, even his most vocal advocates here, will become much less enamored with him over time.  Winning 40-30 and winning 20-10 is still winning, as well as losing 40-30 and losing 20-10 is still losing.    Fans remember W-L records and post-season success (or lack of) much more than they remember   pts scored or allowed, or TOP, or 3rd down efficiency, etc.   It's not about style, it's about results.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!

I would agree, EXCEPT I have heard Hog fans whine about not having an exciting offense for most of my 44 years on earth. The fact that they did not see the offense with Dmac, Felix, and Hillis as exciting was just crazy.

And there are some here who have admitted they would rather lose 56-49 than win 10-3. Why? Because a 56-49 loss is entertaining, and a 10-3 win is boring.

Also, college football fans have bought into the media hype that the HUNH is something that it really is not. It is really BORING if you drill down into it. As someone else pointed out, Aub, the poster child for the hunh, ranks around 65th for TOP. They often take 25-35 seconds between snaps. All their offense is is a lot of rushing around, and then standing and looking at the sideline to see what poster with a combo of Justin Beiber, a burrito, mighty mouse, and Tom T Hall will be flashed.

In many ways, these hunh offenses are like playing poker. Long stretches of boredom, and a few seconds of sheer terror.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ironhawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 26, 2014, 01:49:10 am
I STILL say Chaney is the best coach on our team.

I'm very pleased with the offense.

I don't know about the best coach on the team, but I also don't think we'll really get a good read on Chaney until he gets some more speed at receiver and in the backfield.

Hogfaniam

Gus is not running hurry up this year, unless we are. Both avg 71.2 plays per game.
Ole miss 70.9

Oregon 73.4

Hurry up is wash st. And Baylor. Over 86 and 89 respectively.

Alabama 73.7
Oregon. 73.4
Florida St. 68.4
Miss St 75.7
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 26, 2014, 10:36:49 am
Gus is not running hurry up this year, unless we are. Both avg 71.2 plays per game.
Ole miss 70.9

Oregon 73.4

Hurry up is wash st. And Baylor. Over 86 and 89 respectively.

careful bro

stats make some people sad

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 26, 2014, 10:26:19 am
The majority of teams in the CFP top 10 run some form of the HUNH spread offense.  I dont believe we are anywhere close to being able to write it off as cartoonish, gimmicky, and ineffective just yet, are we?

Arkansas ran the spread at least once last week, they had 2 wide and 2 slots. But wait, that is not really the spread is it? It is only the spread of the QB runs the option out of it, right? No, wait, thats the spread option. The spread is 5 wide with 4 vertical routes and a drag under neath, right? Wrong? Well what is the spread?

Hunh, you mean the Auburn HUNH, where they often stand at the line for 25 seconds while Gus flails his arms, and gyrates like he is being electrocuted? Or the Oregon HUNh where they actually snap the ball about every 12-15 seconds?  Or the Baylor version where sometimes they snap it fast and sometimes they prairie dog it?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

Robb Smith is great?
Bret Bielema is good because he hired Robb Smith?
Jim Cheney is awful?

Guess who is number three in the nation in time of possession? We are.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/705/p1

That's Bielema's plan. It didn't happen by accident.

It helps Robb Smith's defense, keeping them fresh so they can play lights out, and Robb Smith is holding up his end of the bargain.

And it's all implemented by Jim Chaney. All of it. That's why any raise that Robb Smith will get, will be matched with a raise for Chaney.

A side note: Who is the most disingenuous coach in America? Gus Malzahn. For all his jumping around for the TV cameras, pointing furiously at the ground and yelling "Go! Go!", he really doesn't do it that much. Auburn is ranked 67th in time of possession. Really? Why not 107th? Didn't he say and write many times that TOP doesn't matter?

Hell, Samford gave Auburn fits. Gus is on his way to 8-4, many Auburn fans are growing tired of his philosophy, and he's actually working in some time of possession to save face.

Excellent. 

I never saw what others claimed to see in GM.  I think that program will slowly settle into middle of the pack level SEC.  There just isn't enough discipline in the way they do things there.  I look for a sever beat down to be put on Allbarn, Saturday. 

Same goes for Olepiss...

31to6

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 26, 2014, 10:13:55 am
Baylor is 71st in TOP

Oregon is 122nd, so they are true to their philosophy, also Arizona is 111th, Arizona State is 99th - Pac12?
Plays per game is a better measure of Hurry Up than Time of Possession.

A Hurry Up team can have a higher TOP if their defense is getting stops.

Usually that means that Hurry Up team is scoring ridiculous points (or at least rolling up ridiculous yardage).

Baylor is #1 in plays per game: http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game

They are also #1 in Total Offense and Scoring Offense. Combining this with a pretty good defense (21st in Total Def and 37th in Scoring Defense) is why they can hurry up without sacrificing too badly in TOP.

I'm not a fan one way or the other of HUNH. I think it has advantages. I think it has disadvantages. The biggest advantage they have is that the game is not over down three scores at the start of the 4th. The biggest disadvantage they have is that if you do stop their offense 2-3 times you can own an entire quarter of football and pummel their defense.

Bacons Rebellion

One of the most important things about the "No huddle" is that the quarterback doesn't have to think as much. He just has the translate the message from the flash cards.

No longer do you have to have a smart quarterback that can read defenses and audible. The millionaire middle aged fat guy or the millionaire skinny thirty year old in the press box can do all that, and radio his play call down to the card clerks. This is better for the millionaire than letting his livelihood depend on a 20 year old's decision making.

This also allows the coaches to put a super athlete at quarterback without regard to what Wunderlich score he might get. Said super athlete doesn't even have to have experience. Find him in a junior college and teach him the cards.

And the defenses are now catching on to how they can switch their defenses just before the snap, screwing the millionaire fat guy in the press box. You saw us doing that against Ole Miss.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2014, 10:33:01 am
I would agree, EXCEPT I have heard Hog fans whine about not having an exciting offense for most of my 44 years on earth. The fact that they did not see the offense with Dmac, Felix, and Hillis as exciting was just crazy.

Agree. Those DMac/Jones/Hillis offenses were exciting.

And I remember how the '85 team, running the flexbone, could attack the defense in almost any way known to man. Line up in full wishbone, put a back in motion, and you can run virtually any play that can be run in "I" or "split-backs" offense. Option, quick-hitters, drop-back.........it was fun to watch. The Holiday Bowl looked like a jailbreak, players going every-which-way, almost every snap.

LR54

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 26, 2014, 11:29:19 am
Is this a young CBB?

No, but this is. Doubtful that you're capable of appreciating the difference.

Hoggie17

November 26, 2014, 11:49:03 am #65 Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:51:24 am by Hoggie17
Chill out, it was posted for a laugh.  People are toooo sensitive about their weight.

LR54

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 26, 2014, 11:49:03 am
Chill out, it was posted for a laugh.  People are toooo sedative about their weight.

Yeah, after being treated to 2 years worth of stuff "just posted for a laugh", my sense of humor has worn a little thin for that sort of thing.

Maybe I do need a sedative.   ;)

Redhogs

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 26, 2014, 10:33:16 am
I don't know about the best coach on the team, but I also don't think we'll really get a good read on Chaney until he gets some more speed at receiver and in the backfield.
^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Gonzo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2014, 10:33:01 am

And there are some here who have admitted they would rather lose 56-49 than win 10-3. Why? Because a 56-49 loss is entertaining, and a 10-3 win is boring.

Also, college football fans have bought into the media hype that the HUNH is something that it really is not. It is really BORING if you drill down into it. As someone else pointed out, Aub, the poster child for the hunh, ranks around 65th for TOP. They often take 25-35 seconds between snaps. All their offense is is a lot of rushing around, and then standing and looking at the sideline to see what poster with a combo of Justin Beiber, a burrito, mighty mouse, and Tom T Hall will be flashed.

In many ways, these hunh offenses are like playing poker. Long stretches of boredom, and a few seconds of sheer terror.

True, in any group as large a major team's fanbase there will be outliers who can hold almost any particular view. Just as there a handful of folks who would rather have a high-flying aerial circus regardless of the results, there are a handful that would rather have 3 yards and a cloud of dust regardless of the outcome. If one doesn't believe that, one only has to look back to the last couple years of BP's tenure. There were some who were still more interested in the Hogs using a different style than the actual results on the field, nevermind those results were at a level the Hogs hadn't seen much in 20 years or more.

There will always be a few outliers like that, no system is ever going to please absolutely every fan. But I daresay 90% or more of a team's fans would be completely satisfied with the level of play we had seen his last couple years, and the level we (pretty much) all hope BB attains, regardless of how they do it. For those few who aren't satisfied with that, who cares? The rest of us can, or should imo, just enjoy the ride and ignore 'em.  No matter which "side" is providing the desired results, no amount of berating the other side is ever going to change them.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!

MojaveJoe

I get depressed when we lose, so I don't care if we win 2-0 or 200-199 as long as we win baby!

Exciting only matters to me if I'm watching teams I don't care about.

hogsanity

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on November 26, 2014, 11:16:42 am
Agree. Those DMac/Jones/Hillis offenses were exciting.

And I remember how the '85 team, running the flexbone, could attack the defense in almost any way known to man. Line up in full wishbone, put a back in motion, and you can run virtually any play that can be run in "I" or "split-backs" offense. Option, quick-hitters, drop-back.........it was fun to watch. The Holiday Bowl looked like a jailbreak, players going every-which-way, almost every snap.

I never will forget how excited people got when the Hogs played Baylor, I think it was 86 or 87, and the Hogs went ot the I with Rouse at TB, and people were like " Yes, finally getting away from that boring flexbone ".  It was the same plays, just with the FB directly in front of the TB instead of the Tb being off set.

rickm1976

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2014, 07:13:08 am
I don't get the 'hurry up" claim. By the time these guys line up, act like they're about to snap the ball, back off, crane their heads to the sidelines like a row of bobbleheads, read the cartoon cards, look forward again and wait for the snap count they could have huddled up, broke the huddle, lined up and snapped the ball in the almost the same amount of time.

Ha!  Exactly.  It irritates me just to watch them.

rickm1976

Quote from: Gonzo on November 26, 2014, 12:16:25 pm

True, in any group as large a major team's fanbase there will be outliers who can hold almost any particular view. Just as there a handful of folks who would rather have a high-flying aerial circus regardless of the results, there are a handful that would rather have 3 yards and a cloud of dust regardless of the outcome. If one doesn't believe that, one only has to look back to the last couple years of BP's tenure. There were some who were still more interested in the Hogs using a different style than the actual results on the field, nevermind those results were at a level the Hogs hadn't seen much in 20 years or more.

There will always be a few outliers like that, no system is ever going to please absolutely every fan. But I daresay 90% or more of a team's fans would be completely satisfied with the level of play we had seen his last couple years, and the level we (pretty much) all hope BB attains, regardless of how they do it. For those few who aren't satisfied with that, who cares? The rest of us can, or should imo, just enjoy the ride and ignore 'em.  No matter which "side" is providing the desired results, no amount of berating the other side is ever going to change them.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!

My son has been a HS football coach for a few years now.  His first job was as OLine coach at a small HS in NE Arkansas.  The head coach was a young guy, and former star QB for this team, and was a Malzahn HUNH disciple.  He, the AD, principal, and most of their fans only cared about how many points they could put on the board.  If they happened to win, that was good too.  Although a few players played both ways, the best athletes on the team always played offense only.  They lost most of their games his two years there, although they averaged scoring around 35 - 40 points per game.  Of course, all of the losses were always blamed on their defense.  My son was so happy when he was offered a job at a little bigger school who believed in winning, and not putting on an offensive show.

revolution

Quote from: Gonzo on November 26, 2014, 10:15:42 am

That's sports in a nutshell. Fans do not care nearly as much about a style that is run as they do about the results. If the constant drum beaters here would just be patient and let BB demonstrate he can win consistently at a high level at Arkansas with his style rather than beat everyone over the head with the drum after two nice wins, they'll probably find most fans are just fine with how he does it.

The folks they think are still pining for the previous coach and his style really were more attached to the results than the style. If he had not been winning as much or had he remained the Hog HC and the results started to drop off, he would have been/become much less popular. If BB wins at a comparable, or better, level, most Hog fans will be just as happy with him.  Likewise, if he doesn't manage to to win at a high level consistently, most fans, even his most vocal advocates here, will become much less enamored with him over time.  Winning 40-30 and winning 20-10 is still winning, as well as losing 40-30 and losing 20-10 is still losing.    Fans remember W-L records and post-season success (or lack of) much more than they remember   pts scored or allowed, or TOP, or 3rd down efficiency, etc.   It's not about style, it's about results.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!
Very true.  Great Post - it's all about the results!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 26, 2014, 10:20:22 am
I'm not sure when it changed but I seem to remember that once the offensive lineman was set they couldn't raise back up or it would be a procedure penalty.  Or, maybe I just imagined it .  Regardless, that rule need to be made and enforced to put a stop to Meerkat offense.

My thoughts exactly.

I once thought that, once an offensive lineman put a hand on the ground, he could not move. But seems like meerkat offenses get set, point at linebackers, bark signals, then stand up and look to the sidelines.

On other occasions, an offensive linemen will be squatted , hands on thigh-pads, and rock slightly backward prior to snap. Immediate flag. What's the difference between that, and meerkat?

lahawg1

I for one like the offense we are running now, line up and run it down their throat. The other team knows it coming and nothing they can do about it.

BTW, for the HUNH to work I think you need a QB that will push the refs out of the way

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

BPsTheMan

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 26, 2014, 01:18:20 pm
My son has been a HS football coach for a few years now.  His first job was as OLine coach at a small HS in NE Arkansas.  The head coach was a young guy, and former star QB for this team, and was a Malzahn HUNH disciple.  He, the AD, principal, and most of their fans only cared about how many points they could put on the board.  If they happened to win, that was good too.  Although a few players played both ways, the best athletes on the team always played offense only.  They lost most of their games his two years there, although they averaged scoring around 35 - 40 points per game.  Of course, all of the losses were always blamed on their defense.  My son was so happy when he was offered a job at a little bigger school who believed in winning, and not putting on an offensive show.

the offense killed their own defense

the coach and AD and principal are blind

rickm1976

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 26, 2014, 02:07:16 pm
the offense killed their own defense

the coach and AD and principal are blind

The sad part is that their defensive coordinator was/is a great coach.  After his first year, he started looking to make a lateral move anywhere but there.  After his second year, he found another DC job across state, and is appreciated for the great coach he is.  My son got out of there a year later and couldn't be happier.  The HUNH is fine as long as they recognize it is pointless to put a lot of points on the board if you end up letting the other team score more than you.  It seems that is just common sense and no one is stupid enough to not see that, but I saw that stupidity first hand.  Go figure.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2014, 09:00:15 am
Yes I know just can't help responding to condenscending and useless post.

Happens every time someone quotes you.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Few posters have noted the UA defensive staff having multiple substitution packages waiting to go on the field once the personnel package for the other team has been set. Brilliant, but also quite well-organized to have TWO options available at any time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 26, 2014, 07:28:17 am
Are you high? I like what I've seen from JC the last two weeks but best coach on the team is laughable. I think if he would have played to our strengths more early on we would have beaten ATM. There's a lot of good coaches on this team, JC hasn't done enough to be the best

What "we" see, and what is really going on can be deceiving.

Chaney IS the best coach on this staff, IMO.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Doug

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2014, 08:45:31 am
Inane blathering removed...
Here's three pictures (animated, no less) to show how poignant CdH's thoughts were...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand a swing and a MISS!

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

KennyForAD

KennyForAD

Did somebody slip some speed into your pina colada, Harry?

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Ash on November 26, 2014, 10:15:42 am
It is based around hurrying up to the line not hurrying to snap. The whole point is to not let the defense huddle and to keep them from substituting players. That might not be how it is sold by the guys that run it but that is what makes it effective.
I hope those that don't know football can read this.^^  ;)

They should just call it the "no huddle" or "no subbing" offense.

I have to think that another thing that helped the HUNH"no huddle" offense be successful in it's early days was that it was pitched to the best recruits as being a spread, passing, fast paced offense by some coaches that weren't even really doing all of those things. Those coaches were getting recruits that they may not have gotten if they pitched it differently. Now that recruits understand that those offenses are not all one in the same, we should (are) see some of them go elsewhere and in turn the hunh coaches will lose some of their success.

jared72404

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 26, 2014, 01:49:10 am
I STILL say Chaney is the best coach on our team.

I'm very pleased with the offense.

I'm with you on Chaney being a damn good coach, but after how bad our defense played last season, and now back to back shutouts against #17 and #8 in the country, I don't see how any coach can prove more than that. Not to take away from Chaney, but that is unrealistic imo.

Speedracer

I really don't care as much about TOP as i do efficiency.  I think he's done a better job at getting our best players the ball which IMO are the TE's and RB.  He took ownership and improved.  That's really all you can ask for
Like smites bother me.

ChitownHawg

Robb Smith is great?
Jim Cheney is awful?

It helps Robb Smith's defense, keeping them fresh so they can play lights out, and Robb Smith is holding up his end of the bargain.

And it's all implemented by Jim Chaney. All of it. That's why any raise that Robb Smith will get, will be matched with a raise for Chaney.

A side note: Who is the most disingenuous coach in America? Gus Malzahn. For all his jumping around for the TV cameras, pointing furiously at the ground and yelling "Go! Go!", he really doesn't do it that much. Auburn is ranked 67th in time of possession. Really? Why not 107th? Didn't he say and write many times that TOP doesn't matter?

Hell, Samford gave Auburn fits. Gus is on his way to 8-4, many Auburn fans are growing tired of his philosophy, and he's actually working in some time of possession to save face.

Great points, but not sure why you brought Malzahn into the discussion. He has nothing to do with us and you are fooling yourself if you think your points will cause any of the Gus Bus Crew to jump off. The man walks on water in their eyes.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 26, 2014, 06:16:27 am
The best way to beat high powered spread offenses is to keep them on the sidelines trying to stay warm. 

For the second week I saw two different teams facing each other from the sidelines:  LSU, Olepiss looking like they miss 70 degree weather and wanting a warm blankey and hot chocolate and the Hogs treating the weather like Honey Badgers...

nwahogfan1

Robb Smith is great?
Jim Cheney is awful?

Time of possession doesnt win games.  Points wins games.   I like time of possession if it is creating 1st downs and points on the score board. 

Our defense, field position and Mississippi mistakes won us the last game.  Very little credit goes to the offense which was average at best.

I blame Chaney for all of those attempts into the end zones from the 1 yard line only to kick a field goal and a TD only because of a penalty.   I also blame Pittman for not having a OL who cannot give me a one yard push so that we can score.  We pride ourselves on being physical.  Well we showed our physicallity by not being able to get one yard.   If Ms had too many to block then we should of tried a boot leg pass or a fade but no excuses in my book for not being able score 2 TDs from the 1 yard line.

I am not a Chaney fan.  I dont think our QBs are ready.  I think our Passing game is too vanilla.  I know we do not have 5 star WRs but with the right formations we should be able to get a WR open almost every play.  I see many football games and other teams do it all the time without 5 star WRs and QBs.  It is just a matter of taking what you have and find ways to make it work against your competion.

AA has been in the system 2 years.  He should be capable and ready to go if needed but he needed snaps each and every game to make sure he is ready to go if needed. 

Comments.

pfrg999

As soon as I read it was It said Harry Rex Von whatever... Didnt read, Don't care. ... WPS Beat MIZZOU .... everyone is now an expert after two straight wins... Nope.... Only CBB is... everyone else is just a message board dude seeking attention!!!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 26, 2014, 10:42:14 pm
Happens every time someone quotes you.

No problem,  I just consider the source. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 27, 2014, 07:58:48 am
Time of possession doesnt win games.  Points wins games.   I like time of possession if it is creating 1st downs and points on the score board. 

Our defense, field position and Mississippi mistakes won us the last game.  Very little credit goes to the offense which was average at best.

I blame Chaney for all of those attempts into the end zones from the 1 yard line only to kick a field goal and a TD only because of a penalty.   I also blame Pittman for not having a OL who cannot give me a one yard push so that we can score.  We pride ourselves on being physical.  Well we showed our physicallity by not being able to get one yard.   If Ms had too many to block then we should of tried a boot leg pass or a fade but no excuses in my book for not being able score 2 TDs from the 1 yard line.

I am not a Chaney fan.  I dont think our QBs are ready.  I think our Passing game is too vanilla.  I know we do not have 5 star WRs but with the right formations we should be able to get a WR open almost every play.  I see many football games and other teams do it all the time without 5 star WRs and QBs.  It is just a matter of taking what you have and find ways to make it work against your competion.

AA has been in the system 2 years.  He should be capable and ready to go if needed but he needed snaps each and every game to make sure he is ready to go if needed. 

Comments.

Kinda hard to have a good time of possession if you're not getting first downs. Also I'll say 23 points against possibly the number 1 defense in the country, especially with a backup qb playing most of the game, is solid offensive production.

Doug

Quote from: nwahogfan1Our defense, field position and Mississippi mistakes won us the last game.  Very little credit goes to the offense which was average at best.
When it's all said and done, we only need ONE point more than the other team to win the game. The last two weeks... we could've gotten a safety and still won the game. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Let's not forget that there was an improvement, offensively, between LSU and Ole Miss. I expect there to be even more of an improvement tomorrow.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogfaniam

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 27, 2014, 09:02:14 am
Kinda hard to have a good time of possession if you're not getting first downs. Also I'll say 23 points against possibly the number 1 defense in the country, especially with a backup qb playing most of the game, is solid offensive production.

It still is the no. 1 defense in the country.  Their d line is, well, awesome.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

secneahog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 27, 2014, 07:58:48 am

Comments.

30-0 vs #8 ole piss. 

You're complaining why? 

If Bielema thinks Chaney isn't being affective, he will let him go. Ash, Partridge, Taver.... One year and BB went in another direction.

I'll take vanilla ....I love vanilla...throw some sprinkles on that vanilla next year with our defense..yummy.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

duckman

We should reserve judgement on the offense until we get speed on the corners.  When we are able to stretch the field we will become very dangerous.  That said, I would love to see a great QB coach added.  Not bitchin though, love this team and the vision that BB has.  With all the teams running the spread or a variant of that we are the team that is different and difficult to prepare for.  WPS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: pfrg999 on November 27, 2014, 08:03:50 am
As soon as I read it was It said Harry Rex Von whatever... Didnt read, Don't care. ... WPS Beat MIZZOU .... everyone is now an expert after two straight wins... Nope.... Only CBB is... everyone else is just a message board dude seeking attention!!!

Isn't that what message boards are for? Stating opinions? Hard to state an opinion without drawing attention. Quiet people on forums tend not to do so well.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 27, 2014, 09:31:52 am
It still is the no. 1 defense in the country.  Their d line is, well, awesome.

I agree to a point, however they are not the biggest defense in the country.   They rely on speed as well as talent.  We would all have appreciated a big push into the endzone on those possessions.  In the SEC that is not something you can depend on, you need options.  We have seen trick plays work, we have seen passes to TE's work, BA has put it in a couple times.  Maybe against Ole Miss CBB wanted his O-line to make a statement.  Because they didn't doesn't mean that it's not a learning situation for them and it will help them in the future.  In a tight game the calls might have been different more creative. 

No doubt what CBB wants though.