Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People who don't know football, do not read

Started by BPsTheMan, November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: duckman on November 27, 2014, 09:43:46 am
We should reserve judgement on the offense until we get speed on the corners.  When we are able to stretch the field we will become very dangerous.  That said, I would love to see a great QB coach added.  Not bitchin though, love this team and the vision that BB has.  With all the teams running the spread or a variant of that we are the team that is different and difficult to prepare for.  WPS
Barry Lunney Jr. says Jim Chaney is a very good QBs coach. I told him some folks on Hogville think Chaney can't coach QBs because he's too fat to demonstrate the proper techniques.

It took him a while to stop laughing. Then he said, "I can demonstrate the proper techniques and I promise you he can coach circles around me when it comes to QBs."

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Speedracer on November 27, 2014, 04:36:15 am
I really don't care as much about TOP as i do efficiency.  I think he's done a better job at getting our best players the ball which IMO are the TE's and RB.  He took ownership and improved.  That's really all you can ask for

brother, time of possession IS efficiency

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2014, 09:53:26 am
Barry Lunney Jr. says Jim Chaney is a very good QBs coach. I told him some folks on Hogville think Chaney can't coach QBs because he's too fat to demonstrate the proper techniques.

It took him a while to stop laughing. Then he said, "I can demonstrate the proper techniques and I promise you he can coach circles around me when it comes to QBs."

So Zac Clark was QB coach to the Allen brothers in HS, maybe he is looking the become a GA!!!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 27, 2014, 07:58:48 am
Time of possession doesnt win games.  Points wins games.   I like time of possession if it is creating 1st downs and points on the score board. 

Our defense, field position and Mississippi mistakes won us the last game.  Very little credit goes to the offense which was average at best.

I blame Chaney for all of those attempts into the end zones from the 1 yard line only to kick a field goal and a TD only because of a penalty.   I also blame Pittman for not having a OL who cannot give me a one yard push so that we can score.  We pride ourselves on being physical.  Well we showed our physicallity by not being able to get one yard.   If Ms had too many to block then we should of tried a boot leg pass or a fade but no excuses in my book for not being able score 2 TDs from the 1 yard line.

I am not a Chaney fan.  I dont think our QBs are ready.  I think our Passing game is too vanilla.  I know we do not have 5 star WRs but with the right formations we should be able to get a WR open almost every play.  I see many football games and other teams do it all the time without 5 star WRs and QBs.  It is just a matter of taking what you have and find ways to make it work against your competion.

AA has been in the system 2 years.  He should be capable and ready to go if needed but he needed snaps each and every game to make sure he is ready to go if needed. 

Comments.

Yeah, here's a comment:

You probably aren't a poker player.  :D

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/699

3rd down conversions - ^^^ - we're 16th in the nation on that

Yes I waited before posting that link

BPsTheMan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 27, 2014, 07:58:48 am
Time of possession doesnt win games.  Points wins games.   I like time of possession if it is creating 1st downs and points on the score board. 

LOL! Really?

You like time of possession IF it's creating first downs?

I love it  ;D

BPsTheMan

that's awesome

yep

justmaybe

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 26, 2014, 07:28:17 am
Are you high? I like what I've seen from JC the last two weeks but best coach on the team is laughable. I think if he would have played to our strengths more early on we would have beaten ATM. There's a lot of good coaches on this team, JC hasn't done enough to be the best

We did beat a&m. Without two bad penalties we would have beat them badly on the scoreboard as well.

Oklahawg

Dammit, Mike. This ends this thread and about 40 others that are sure to pop up in the next few months.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Mike_e

Either there are some non-readers in this thread or     .

Well, there sure seem to be some non-readers in this thread.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2014, 10:33:01 am
I would agree, EXCEPT I have heard Hog fans whine about not having an exciting offense for most of my 44 years on earth. The fact that they did not see the offense with Dmac, Felix, and Hillis as exciting was just crazy.

A-frickin-men, brother! Now, my perspective may be a bit skewed; I actually enjoyed the chess-like set-up game of the wishbone under Hatfield.  Runs of 8-30 yards play after play was pretty exciting to watch.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

I suggest the most important thing would be to study the winning percentage of all the HUNH teams the 5 years before they went to the HUNH and then compare that to the winning percentage of whats happened since they went to the HUNH.  Most teams and coaches want to win.  How is less important.  And then there are some coaches that will install their chosen system, win or lose.

As for Chaney, he may be the best coach on the team and is just not allowed to present it.  Of course, only a fan with an eye for greatness and an uncanny knowledge of the game which most of us do not have can see through all those mistakes, misuse of talent, questionable play calling and what appears no training of the QB  or QBs, take your pick, and find that greatness.  Good thing we have Harry Rex to give us a free flat statement of all that greatness.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on November 28, 2014, 07:05:48 am
A-frickin-men, brother! Now, my perspective may be a bit skewed; I actually enjoyed the chess-like set-up game of the wishbone under Hatfield.  Runs of 8-30 yards play after play was pretty exciting to watch.

Imagine if we would've had a D that could've gotten them the ball a couple more times per game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

wildhogman

Quote from: 12247 on November 28, 2014, 07:52:27 am
I suggest the most important thing would be to study the winning percentage of all the HUNH teams the 5 years before they went to the HUNH and then compare that to the winning percentage of whats happened since they went to the HUNH.  Most teams and coaches want to win.  How is less important.  And then there are some coaches that will install their chosen system, win or lose.

As for Chaney, he may be the best coach on the team and is just not allowed to present it.  Of course, only a fan with an eye for greatness and an uncanny knowledge of the game which most of us do not have can see through all those mistakes, misuse of talent, questionable play calling and what appears no training of the QB  or QBs, take your pick, and find that greatness.  Good thing we have Harry Rex to give us a free flat statement of all that greatness.
Dunno about Harry Rex, but I think Mike Irwin has more knowledge in his pinky finger then most of this board. I am sure Barry Luney does.  If they say he is a good QB coach and teaches the QB's that's good enough for me.  The eye test says as the season has progressed BA has gotten better each game. Does he still miss open recievers? Yep.   Do you still do walking stops through stop signs with no traffic coming?  Prolly (since 99.9% on the board do including me), even though in all aspects of driving we both pretty good drivers and were taught to drive by people with years of experience driving.   No one is perfect.
Heck even Mallett for all the great things he did here struggled with the short passes and screen passes often throwing to hard. Did that make him a bad QB? or CBP a bad QB coach that after 3 years working with him it never got fixed?

Polecat

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on November 26, 2014, 02:10:48 am
This will be one of the most read threads this week because of it's title. ;)

No doubt. I was all "Don't tell me what to do, Rex"

:)
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

PonderinHog

Quote from: Polecat on November 28, 2014, 09:27:09 am
No doubt. I was all "Don't tell me what to do, Rex"

:)
It's like a "Wet Paint.  Do Not Touch." sign.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorfox on November 26, 2014, 07:14:57 am
True, I think the only advantage left given what you describe is that the defense can't substitute personnel based on the situation. 

THIS.....That is what has happened with the HUNH. It now is more about not letting Defenses sub instead of gaining more plays offensively during the game. They want to "tire" the defense yet with the number of timeouts and games on TV the tired aspect isn't there as much either I believe. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike_e on November 26, 2014, 07:50:30 am
It's a lot like a 16 year old boy telling his girlfriend that she's his one true love.

It's just a catchy phrase designed to charm your pants off.

The HUNH has always been (to my thinking at least) about freezing the defense and taking the play calling out of the hands of the QB and putting it in the hands of the coaching staff- preferably one of them up in the booth with a better view of the field.

99.99% of coaches have been calling plays instead of the QB for decades. The freezing the D is for not allowing them to sub to gain some sort of advantage in match ups.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on November 26, 2014, 08:55:56 am
Only advantage I can see is that, once the center puts his hand on the football, the defense has to be ready to go in an instant......

I'm of the opinion that once the center touches the football NONE of the offensive linemen should be allowed to move at all until the snap.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 27, 2014, 10:01:52 am
So Zac Clark was QB coach to the Allen brothers in HS, maybe he is looking the become a GA!!!

I don't care who the coach of our team is, as long as it isn't you.......................and any other internet poster that doesn't have a job coaching or even talking to our coaches and is listening to them and the players daily.