Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People who don't know football, do not read

Started by BPsTheMan, November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BPsTheMan

Robb Smith is great?
Bret Bielema is good because he hired Robb Smith?
Jim Cheney is awful?

Guess who is number three in the nation in time of possession? We are.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/705/p1

That's Bielema's plan. It didn't happen by accident.

It helps Robb Smith's defense, keeping them fresh so they can play lights out, and Robb Smith is holding up his end of the bargain.

And it's all implemented by Jim Chaney. All of it. That's why any raise that Robb Smith will get, will be matched with a raise for Chaney.

A side note: Who is the most disingenuous coach in America? Gus Malzahn. For all his jumping around for the TV cameras, pointing furiously at the ground and yelling "Go! Go!", he really doesn't do it that much. Auburn is ranked 67th in time of possession. Really? Why not 107th? Didn't he say and write many times that TOP doesn't matter?

Hell, Samford gave Auburn fits. Gus is on his way to 8-4, many Auburn fans are growing tired of his philosophy, and he's actually working in some time of possession to save face.

And those Hurry Up sideline cards didn't work too well for Ole Miss did they?

ballz2thewall

chit-chat offenses are coming under criticism more and more.  see gary danielson's interview.

also, danielson's repeated mention of bo wallace and/or hugh had nothing to do with ole miss bias.  rather; it was more a subtle commentary on the read-style offense - plain and simple.  essentially he was stating over and over; what is "bo" going to do?  same thing for hugh.  the entire dialogue was "boys; this ain't working against those MEN in red."

good points on defense and offense working together.  a good match such as that will travel a very long distance.
The rest of the frog.

Fayettechill14

HUNH offenses are hitting a wall this year. Clemson and Auburn, poster-boys for the HUNH attack last year have sputtered this season. A lot of HUNH teams are actually slowing down now. I noticed that Ole Miss, who usually is about 2/3 HUNH, ran almost no hurry-up against us.

Can they recover? We'll see. But HUNH offenses gained an advantage by being simple but doing simple things fast. Now defenses - like Robb Smith's - are countering by also being simple and teaching the linebackers to read the offense just like the offense is reading the linebackers. It's fun to watch the chess game.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 26, 2014, 12:55:42 am
HUNH offenses are hitting a wall this year. Clemson and Auburn, poster-boys for the HUNH attack last year have sputtered this season. A lot of HUNH teams are actually slowing down now. I noticed that Ole Miss, who usually is about 2/3 HUNH, ran almost no hurry-up against us.

Can they recover? We'll see. But HUNH offenses gained an advantage by being simple but doing simple things fast. Now defenses - like Robb Smith's - are countering by also being simple and teaching the linebackers to read the offense just like the offense is reading the linebackers. It's fun to watch the chess game.

Great points.

It seems like a few teams are wanting to go back to power run from different formations.  Less teams that fling it around the yard and more that are working to develop the run.  It makes sense because it puts their defense at such a disadvantage.
Retired Radio Host

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 26, 2014, 01:34:12 am
Great points.

It seems like a few teams are wanting to go back to power run from different formations.  Less teams that fling it around the yard and more that are working to develop the run.  It makes sense because it puts their defense at such a disadvantage.

Was reading the Ole Miss board on Sunday and one of their posters asked "why don't we use a fullback when running the ball up the middle? It's a bad numbers game against Ark's LBs when they don't miss tackles."

HAHAHAHA WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I STILL say Chaney is the best coach on our team.

I'm very pleased with the offense.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

This will be one of the most read threads this week because of it's title. ;)

Hawg_Thai'd

I'm sorry.  I clicked here by accident. I thought you were talkin' foozeball. My bad.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Josh Goforth

Chicken or egg argument. Does offensive top help the defense more than the defense forcing 3 and outs?. This team has vastly improved making stops on 3rd down In turn giving its offense the ball back in good field position. Not sure you can say one causes the other or is more valuable to this team.

Pig In The City

The best way to beat high powered spread offenses is to keep them on the sidelines trying to stay warm. 

JaketheSnake

JFB is just sitting back and smiling as the HUNH slowly implodes

Mike Irwin

I don't get the 'hurry up" claim. By the time these guys line up, act like they're about to snap the ball, back off, crane their heads to the sidelines like a row of bobbleheads, read the cartoon cards, look forward again and wait for the snap count they could have huddled up, broke the huddle, lined up and snapped the ball in the almost the same amount of time.

Razorfox

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2014, 07:13:08 am
I don't get the 'hurry up" claim. By the time these guys line up, act like they're about to snap the ball, back off, crane their heads to the sidelines like a row of bobbleheads, read the cartoon cards, look forward again and wait for the snap count they could have huddled up, broke the huddle, lined up and snapped the ball in the almost the same amount of time.

True, I think the only advantage left given what you describe is that the defense can't substitute personnel based on the situation. 

PonderinHog

The Marmot

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 26, 2014, 12:55:42 am

See: Wildcat
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

ldfergu

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 26, 2014, 01:49:10 am
I STILL say Chaney is the best coach on our team.

I'm very pleased with the offense.

Are you high? I like what I've seen from JC the last two weeks but best coach on the team is laughable. I think if he would have played to our strengths more early on we would have beaten ATM. There's a lot of good coaches on this team, JC hasn't done enough to be the best

davglo35

TOP also helps later in the season. As it gets colder the opposing offense finally gets on the field and they are cold. This wont be a factor in most of the bowl games but it is important late in the regular season. It also throws the HUNH put of sinc and make the offense panicky because they know they have limited opportunities.

Mike_e

It's a lot like a 16 year old boy telling his girlfriend that she's his one true love.

It's just a catchy phrase designed to charm your pants off.

The HUNH has always been (to my thinking at least) about freezing the defense and taking the play calling out of the hands of the QB and putting it in the hands of the coaching staff- preferably one of them up in the booth with a better view of the field.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hawgsalot

Bingo Mike this is what I've been saying for years.  It truly has little advantage because think of all the different situations an offense runs into that a qb could remind his team in a huddle.  Hey 89 if that CB presses inside on your slant fake it and I'll hit you over the top, hey left guard watch the Lb delayed blitz etc.  It seems the HUNH is designed in high school to provide deception at a fast pace and force bad decisions, in college players are more seasoned and aren't as apt to make bad decisions.  Sure it'll work from time to time but the big boys mostly slam the door and produce negative plays which keeps you behind the chains.  You rarely see AR in 3rd and 9 or 3rd and 10 without a penalty, you see it a bunch with HUNH teams.  They run the same plays over and over  and good D's will punish that more times than not.  The one game changer is an elite running QB but wouldn't he be with any offense?

TheGunther

everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am
Robb Smith is great?
Jim Cheney is awful?

It helps Robb Smith's defense, keeping them fresh so they can play lights out, and Robb Smith is holding up his end of the bargain.

And it's all implemented by Jim Chaney. All of it. That's why any raise that Robb Smith will get, will be matched with a raise for Chaney.

A side note: Who is the most disingenuous coach in America? Gus Malzahn. For all his jumping around for the TV cameras, pointing furiously at the ground and yelling "Go! Go!", he really doesn't do it that much. Auburn is ranked 67th in time of possession. Really? Why not 107th? Didn't he say and write many times that TOP doesn't matter?

Hell, Samford gave Auburn fits. Gus is on his way to 8-4, many Auburn fans are growing tired of his philosophy, and he's actually working in some time of possession to save face.

Unfreaking real that a perp thinks anyone needs to read drivel like this.  Whether or not a person knows football isn't the question, does the OP know how to write?  Why do we need to hash and rehash this stuff that is written to cause dissension.

I could rehash why it's stupid to try and tear down one person to build up another but that would take a lot of rehashing that we don't need.

Try telling us why Robb and Chaney are great.  Prove how much you really know about football instead of this constant stirring up of the fanbase.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2014, 08:45:31 am
Unfreaking real that a perp thinks anyone needs to read drivel like this.  Whether or not a person knows football isn't the question, does the OP know how to write?  Why do we need to hash and rehash this stuff that is written to cause dissension.

I could rehash why it's stupid to try and tear down one person to build up another but that would take a lot of rehashing that we don't need.

Try telling us why Robb and Chaney are great.  Prove how much you really know about football instead of this constant stirring up of the fanbase.

Watch out for the hole.

Ooop, too late.  Fell right in.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Jek Tono Porkins

Chaney said that he will evaluate his playcalling and he did. Now we're getting the ball to the guys that need to get the ball; the tight ends. BA is playing with a lot more confidence.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

TOM "tbw1"

Try telling us why Robb and Chaney are great. Prove how much you really know about football instead of this constant stirring up of the fanbase.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

thirrdegreetusker

Only advantage I can see is that, once the center puts his hand on the football, the defense has to be ready to go in an instant......

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 26, 2014, 08:50:57 am
Watch out for the hole.

Ooop, too late.  Fell right in.

Yes I know just can't help responding to condensending and useless post.

PonderinHog

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2014, 09:00:15 am
Yes I know just can't help responding to condensending and useless post.

Veerrrry well played
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 26, 2014, 09:01:54 am
I hate when condensation ends, two.

I can see that, fogs everthing up so you can't see...kinda like a Harry thread or post.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 26, 2014, 09:04:47 am
I can see that, fogs everthing up so you can't see...kinda like a Harry thread or post.

<
<
<
<

hogsanity

The fascination by fans with the HUNH only goes as far as if the team doing it is winning. Teams have been running fast paced offenses for decades. Houston did it, Portland St did it, and many others.

The video game generation loves it because it is how they play games on xbox or ps.

The best excuse I have heard from Hog fans pining away for an offense like that is " well, with that offense you are never out of a game" here is a novel thought, why not have a defense that does not give up so many points that you are never out of a game?

Here is an interesting link to a newsweek article about Mouse Davis, it is title meet the man who broke the college football scoreboard; http://www.newsweek.com/its-raining-touchdowns-meet-man-who-blew-college-football-scoreboard-284388
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TOM "tbw1"

You had better have facts when dealing with Harry Rex and not just vituperation,
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hogsanity

Unfreaking real that

What is unfreaking real is that you have not been banned yet, Kind of proves the theory that clicks are the most important thing here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhawg

Baylor continues to do fairly well with the HUNH.

The Marmot

Quote from: oldhawg on November 26, 2014, 09:21:40 am

I would attribute alot of that to a lack of total defense in the Big 12 (Baylor being the leader btw).
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on November 26, 2014, 09:10:23 am
You had better have facts when dealing with Harry Rex and not just vituperation,

I don't think so, I think you only need to understand his scheme.  You can either like it or not! 

As for facts I trust my facts not his.

hogsanity

And Georgia Tech continues to do fairly well with the wishbone/flexbone. And lots of teams are doing fairly well with all types of offenses.

The main problem is people continue to talk about the HUNH, spread, and uptempo as an all-in-one offense.  You can run the wishbone using the hunh principles of rushing to the line then standing around prairie dogging for 30 seconds, and you can run the spread and huddle and use all 40 seconds of the play clock every play.

Hoggie17

The_Iceman

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 26, 2014, 12:10:22 am
Robb Smith is great?
Jim Cheney is awful?

No doubt, Chaney has done a great job and the Hogs will only get better under him as we add more weapons in the receiving corps. 

As for Gus, St. Gus the Pius is to Auburn as Nutt was to Ole Miss. Gus' HUNH offense has ONLY one advantage over a defense and that's trying to catch a defense out of position when making substitutions.  That's it.  Period!  And when the talent level is remotely close to another team his Mickey Mouse offense is exposed for what it is. 

Malzahn's, and others who use the Meerkat Offense, don't teach players how to adjust for themselves, they are told what to do from the flash cards relayed from the sidelines. That's it and I'm damn glad Arkansas doesn't run that crap. 

This was supposed to be Gus' and Auburn's year as all we heard at the beginning of the season was this was Gus' first year to have a returning QB and he was only going to be that much better.  Well, that hasn't worked out so well has it?  I wonder, since a Gus QB is not taught the subtleties of a QB what makes anyone think that a QB would get better with another year's experience?

I have little doubt that Gus will soon leave Auburn as he has a history of being one step ahead of the posse and he only puts himself in positions where he has most of the cards on the deck and his hand is quickly changing at Auburn.   

BPsTheMan

yep

an entertaining part is comparing Auburn this year to them in 2011 when Gus' offense was 104th in the nation (something the media never wanted to talk about). It was evident early in the season that TOP was killing them, and Malzahn himself was quoted as needing more TOP - but THEN, he blamed it on Chizik privately, because his friends of friends or whatever ended up on here blaming it on Chizik.  :D

it was "all Chizik's and Barrett Trotter's fault" - never Gus' fault of course!

well now he can't blame it on Chizik.

The Divine Swine

I agree with the OP. I don't understand the problem folks have with our offensive play calling. Sure some of the trick plays kill drives when just our regular game plan is working fine, but other than that I think we mix things up quite a bit on offense. It has stalled when our players commit stupid penalties or do not execute. And we all need to understand that we play in the toughest division of the toughest league in all of college football. We face some really good defenses. Really good. Considering all of that I am very pleased  with Chaney and all of our coaches. We gotta make them all stay.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

BPsTheMan

Wow  :D struck a nerve here.

Love some Gus do we?

BPsTheMan

Baylor is 71st in TOP

Oregon is 122nd, so they are true to their philosophy, also Arizona is 111th, Arizona State is 99th - Pac12?

Ash

It is based around hurrying up to the line not hurrying to snap. The whole point is to not let the defense huddle and to keep them from substituting players. That might not be how it is sold by the guys that run it but that is what makes it effective.

Gonzo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2014, 09:09:22 am
The fascination by fans with the (insert ANY offense/defense) only goes as far as if the team doing it is winning.

That's sports in a nutshell. Fans do not care nearly as much about a style that is run as they do about the results. If the constant drum beaters here would just be patient and let BB demonstrate he can win consistently at a high level at Arkansas with his style rather than beat everyone over the head with the drum after two nice wins, they'll probably find most fans are just fine with how he does it.

The folks they think are still pining for the previous coach and his style really were more attached to the results than the style. If he had not been winning as much or had he remained the Hog HC and the results started to drop off, he would have been/become much less popular. If BB wins at a comparable, or better, level, most Hog fans will be just as happy with him.  Likewise, if he doesn't manage to to win at a high level consistently, most fans, even his most vocal advocates here, will become much less enamored with him over time.  Winning 40-30 and winning 20-10 is still winning, as well as losing 40-30 and losing 20-10 is still losing.    Fans remember W-L records and post-season success (or lack of) much more than they remember   pts scored or allowed, or TOP, or 3rd down efficiency, etc.   It's not about style, it's about results.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!