Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Friday is an important Razorback anniversary

Started by Shoat61, October 19, 2009, 09:48:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoat61

Friday, October 23, is the 55th Anniversary of the Powder River Pass which beat Ole Miss 6-0 in Little Rock and led to the Razorbacks' number 4 ranking in the nation.  That was the game and the play which made modern day Arkansas Razorback football.  It is ironic that this year's Ole Miss game is on the same weekend.
:razorback:

nwa_razorback_coffee

Thanks for the reminder. I'd never even heard of it.

Where can I find out more about the Powder River Pass? At first, I was afraid you had information about something that happened down by the lake when I was a kid.

Shoat61

Any of the Razorback history books will prominently feature that game.  That was an incredible year.  Arkansas came out of nowhere.  They ran the single-wing (a precursor to the Wildcat).  I think Ole Miss was ranked 4 or 5 and we were 7th going into the game.  The picture shows Preston Carpenter getting behind the Ole Miss secondary for a touchdown on that play and the only score of the game.  At the time, Ole Miss was our number one rival, not Texas or anyone else in the SWC.  In fact, LSU may even have been a bigger rivalry game.  I think Wikipedia also has some information on the play and where the name came from.