Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Player Development

Started by WilsonHog, November 14, 2017, 05:15:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

At least not very easily.

I was listening to talk radio this morning and one of the SEC media guys was talking about practice under Saban versus under Butch Jones. When the guy went to cover Alabama's practices, there was no dead time; every minute was geared to teaching and getting as many players as possible repetitions. When he visited Tennessee's practices, he saw just the opposite: to much dead time, too much time spent standing around, too much time devoted to the team watching two guys go at it.

What does that translate into? Player development, and the lack thereof. Time is a limited and precious resource. Players develop under Saban. They develop under Mullen. They didn't under Jones, and he was fired. They haven't under Bielema, either.

I believe Malzahn is a detail guy. I hope that Mike Norvell is as well, if those are the two we are down to. Whoever we hire is going to have to be able to develop players once they get to campus.

Paul

Butch's players did "mental reps"

Dwight_K_Shrute

I believe a former Arkansas player came out this week and said BB's practices were way too casual and disorganized.  On the flip side have always heard that BP's practices were scripted scheduled from the get go and no minute was wasted. Could be why BP got more from his players even though his recruiting rankings and BB's were in the same band.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%