Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis in talks with Arkansas about non-conference game

Started by King Kong, April 27, 2017, 03:36:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

This would be huge, if it happens, but don't we get Texas again next year?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 27, 2017, 04:10:10 pm
This would be huge, if it happens, but don't we get Texas again next year?

Don't think so. That was part of a neutral-site showcase.

Atlhogfan1

Great news for our scheduling.  Not surprising given Tubby's friendship with Nolan and Mike for him to be in favor of this.  Now we'll see how this goes over with the Memphis folks.  Won't be too popular with some. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Why the hell would we do it? we have not gotten any players out of there in years.(A.Bell)and he was not even offered by Tiger High.and neither was M.Wade. and that was 5 years ago.it's anybody but Arkansas over in that garbage city. i hope Jeff Long and Mike say hell no!

Atlhogfan1

It would annoy Easterwood.  That is a good reason IMO. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 28, 2017, 02:44:04 pm
Why the hell would we do it? we have not gotten any players out of there in years.(A.Bell)and he was not even offered by Tiger High.and neither was M.Wade. and that was 5 years ago.it's anybody but Arkansas over in that garbage city. i hope Jeff Long and Mike say hell no!

I think you just told us why we do need to have a series with Memphis.

King Kong

247Hog

So basically you're saying we have nothing to lose and only gain by playing Memphis. Thanks Joe, you helped me support the move!
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HogFaninMemphis

Did you get robbed in Memphis or something?
We've gotten almost no one out of Memphis in 2 decades. Let's change that by playing them!
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hogmolar

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 29, 2017, 07:58:08 pm
Did you get robbed in Memphis or something?
We've gotten almost no one out of Memphis in 2 decades. Let's change that by playing them!
I believe joe might meaning that we have better talent in Arkansas and it would only open up our recruits to them. Just guessing though because other than that I see no reason not to do it.

MissippHog

Plenty of talent in Memphis.....plenty of talent leaving Memphis.  Absolutely nothing to lose playing them.

Memphis is a good local team with a good basketball rep.  Beating them means something usually.  And the local roundballers get to see us front and center.  Its all good.

biglewhog77

Hogginintheville

The_Bionic_Pig

Heck they played South Carolina & Ole Miss this past season...why not.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

NWAHog479

We just signed on to play Houston, thinking that throws this out the window...

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 04, 2017, 09:18:05 am
We just signed on to play Houston, thinking that throws this out the window...

Did you forget that we played Houston this past season? That series was signed long ago.

NWAHog479

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2017, 09:19:18 am
Did you forget that we played Houston this past season? That series was signed long ago.

I was actually at that game... It's a new deal for a multi-year contract, first game is going to be played at the Toyota Center, so no it's not a deal that was signed long ago.

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 04, 2017, 12:33:56 pm
I was actually at that game... It's a new deal for a multi-year contract, first game is going to be played at the Toyota Center, so no it's not a deal that was signed long ago.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=633354.0

Quote* Houston at Toyota Center on Dec. 2, and per Jon Rothstein, this will be the 2nd game in a multi-year series. I like this. Old SWC rivals. Kelvin Sampson is a proven coach. Houston won 21 games last year to finish 3rd in the AAC, which is a respectable mid-major league.

Dwight_K_Shrute

What's not to like about it?  It's good for recruiting, it's good for fans in Eastern Arkansas.  It's good for building the brand regionally.  Hell if it's a multi year home and home type game let that be the NLR game when we are the home team.  Tubby is going nowhere fast in Memphis but if we can use whatever olive branch, relationship etc to ink a multi year deal with them, then do it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's why  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hobhog

love to see it in Verizon in LR around the holidays.....

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 27, 2017, 04:33:50 pm
Great news for our scheduling.  Not surprising given Tubby's friendship with Nolan and Mike for him to be in favor of this.  Now we'll see how this goes over with the Memphis folks.  Won't be too popular with some.
Calipari killed the Ark/MEM series.  It was a heck of a rivalry.  It was getting heated and the stakes were high as far as recruiting goes and the Memphis kids.  But Cal didnt want to play local teams.  He would play Tennessee cause Tennessee forced him to or they wouldnt play MEM in football and MEM desperately needed football games that would put fannies in the seats at the Liberty Bowl. Same thing with Ole Miss.  They would play Ole Miss some so Ole Miss would play them in football. 

Now that Tubby is in charge, maybe he can convince the MEM folks to restart the Ark/MEM series.  I think it would be great and it could help in recruiting.  Make no mistake, MEM kids can play.  They may not have all big name kids that they did in the past, but these kids can play and its always good to have a relationship with the Memphis high school coaches.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2017, 03:14:00 pm
It would annoy Easterwood.  That is a good reason IMO.
that guy is such a POS.  He is all Tiger High and spins everything from a Memphis perspective.  He is just a bigtime wanna be in the world of high school/AAU.  I hate to even listen to him when he comes on Memphis radio. He doesnt seem to care too much for Arkansas.  Irritating him would be a nice by product of playing MEM again.

SONofHAM

Not surprised I completely disagree with FCJ. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Hollywood_HOGan45

Im with you. I would rather play more local teams like ORU, Tulsa, OU, or OSU. Im a biased Oklahoma Hogfan though.

But what I am a fan of is the history of this basketball rivalry and I would much rather restart a series with these guys than play North Dakota State or Austin Peay.    We had some real battles with them in the 90s.  Id much rather make the 2 hour trip to Fayetteville from Tulsa to see Memphis than these other non league home games that our home schedule is littered with every year.

The_Iceman

Teams we should play every year:

Memphis
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Missouri State
Baylor
Texas

Maybe even Kansas or Kansas State

Load up for the RPI. Get better in the non conference. Overall wins doesn't matter as much in basketball like it does football.

Cinco de Hogo

Good RPI/SOS game, other than that the only game I attended in Memphis was a total disaster for our fans, totally disgusting behavior and I said I would never attend another game in Memphis.

As for recruiting that city, it would take a LOT of work to get the best of the best and if we can't get them there are better players elsewhere including in Arkansas.

Porky McGee

Didn't Cal say something like "We don't want to play regional teams, we want to play national competition" Or something along those lines?

Would love to play Memphis. Also hoping we get ahold of Duke in the PK80 since I wasn't even 2 in 1994. Would like to play Kansas every once in awhile.

ShadowHawg

Marlon Townes was the last significant player we got out of there and we played them after that.

Playing Memphis won't do anymore for recruiting Memphis than it did then.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2017, 08:29:25 am
Teams we should play every year:

Memphis
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Missouri State
Baylor
Texas

Maybe even Kansas or Kansas State

Load up for the RPI. Get better in the non conference. Overall wins doesn't matter as much in basketball like it does football.
That kinda looks like you are trying to set up a new conference  :P

BigBlueHell

Nolan didn't have to play Memphis to get Ron Heury and Todd Day to sign with the Hogs.  He had to go to Memphis and recruit them.  As a matter of fact before Ron Heury signed Arkansas hadn't played Memphis since the late 70's.  It is a myth that to recruit Memphis you have to play Memphis.  Yes, it is nice to beat Memphis and show them who the better program is, but it is a regional game that doesn't spark any national attention.  At this point after Tubby run off the best recruiter on the Memphis staff, this helps Memphis more than it helps Arkansas.  I hope we don't play them.
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BigBlueHell on May 20, 2017, 09:22:45 pm
Nolan didn't have to play Memphis to get Ron Heury and Todd Day to sign with the Hogs.  He had to go to Memphis and recruit them.  As a matter of fact before Ron Heury signed Arkansas hadn't played Memphis since the late 70's.  It is a myth that to recruit Memphis you have to play Memphis.  Yes, it is nice to beat Memphis and show them who the better program is, but it is a regional game that doesn't spark any national attention.  At this point after Tubby run off the best recruiter on the Memphis staff, this helps Memphis more than it helps Arkansas.  I hope we don't play them.

That best recruiter he ran off only had to walk down to his son's bedroom to recruit him. The only hired him to get his son's. He needed to be ran off. Pastner was not going to getter son without hiring him. Then he wasn't as great overall as the press here made him out to be. Great on offense but had other issues. I do agree it's a myth to have to play a team in a town to recruit that town.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

UofMemphis

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 03, 2017, 06:24:02 pm
Heck they played South Carolina & Ole Miss this past season...why not.

we play Alabama and LSU this season.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

Pork Twain

FCJ trolling himself...  Brilliant!
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/