Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20 unwritten rules of golf

Started by GolfNut57, April 03, 2015, 10:19:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

jfan01

Pretty lame list.  If anyone didn't know any of that, they don't play golf.  However, one of those really gets under my skin.  That is when terrible players try to give better players advice.  I've had it happen to me several times.

I may be struggling one day, and very frustrated, then some jackwaggon that I'm still beating by 15 shots despite playing terrible tries to give me advice, usually terrible advice.

I like to get tips from better players when they see something that might actually help (I know there is plenty to improve upon in my swing), but a hack that is repeating some tip he saw on school of golf that has no application to my struggles really bothers me for some reason.  I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me, but it is usually combined with a day that I am already frustrated and sends me over the top.

GolfNut57

I don't care if I am better than my playing partners by far. I don't like to give advice unless they ask for it. And sometimes not even then.

Re the last one mentioned. I hardly ever see anyone take their caps off after the round to shake hands.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

HSVhogfan2

The being absolutely quiet, unless you are in a tourny is stupid. Golf is a fun social sport. Used to have a guy in our Thursday group that couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie, but if you were in your cart 30 yds away, talking in a whisper, his rabbit ears would pick it up. People whispering while your swinging isn't the reason you suck.

Another thing is the ball retriever. They should be outlawed, especially if you're a woman. If the damn ball is in the bottom of Lake Maria, you can't play it. Go to a garage sale, buy you a gallon freezer bag full of balls for 2 bucks, and live to play another day.

I agree with the gimmes. Rake away the one footers. Keeps folks from stepping all over the hole.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 03, 2015, 11:04:47 pm
The being absolutely quiet, unless you are in a tourny is stupid. Golf is a fun social sport. Used to have a guy in our Thursday group that couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie, but if you were in your cart 30 yds away, talking in a whisper, his rabbit ears would pick it up. People whispering while your swinging isn't the reason you suck.

Another thing is the ball retriever. They should be outlawed, especially if you're a woman. If the damn ball is in the bottom of Lake Maria, you can't play it. Go to a garage sale, buy you a gallon freezer bag full of balls for 2 bucks, and live to play another day.

I agree with the gimmes. Rake away the one footers. Keeps folks from stepping all over the hole.

Sexist pig!

tophawg19

the being quiet isn't going to happen. some of the guys i've played with enjoy teasing each other and carrying on . especially on a course that allows beer .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 04, 2015, 01:11:00 pm
Sexist pig!

I think women should absolutely be allowed on ALL golf courses................... on Christmas Eve to buy their husbands something from the Pro shop for Christmas.  ;)
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

pigture perfect

Mind games like teasing are just part of the game. I know you are supposed to be playing against the course, but let's be real. Most of us play with people We want to beat the knickers off of. I have a cousin that if he gets ahead of me, I start talking politics and he's done.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"