Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

14 clubs

Started by gotyacovered, May 17, 2010, 11:53:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

how many hybirds you guys totin... and how many wedges?

i was thinkin about taking out gap wedge and putting 3w back in bag and was curious what others were doing.

i also carry 3 wedges (gw, sw, lw)

You are what you tolerate.

Dillar Dog

right now, no hybrids and 3 wedges.

Pigsknuckles

Put in a 60 degree lob wedge once I figured out that the ball retriever doesn't count towards 14.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

billcollector

do i need to refresh your memory?  if so....

2 hybrids - 19* and 25*
4 Wedges

kingofdequeen

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 12:13:38 pm

2 hybrids - 19* and 25*
4 Wedges

KoD > 14 clubs

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 12:13:38 pm

2 hybrids - 19* and 25*
4 Wedges

you know my memory...
driver
3wood
19*
25*
5-9i
pw, gw, sw, lw
putter

that right? i just dont want to give up my 3 and 4 iron, not both for sure. that's were my problems arise. we have the same set up but i prefer 3i instead of 3w... i think i need my 3w for 4states this year...

gotyacovered

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 17, 2010, 12:17:47 pm
KoD > 14 clubs

so when you play 14 club rule.. what do you remove? (besides your panties)

billcollector

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 01:11:05 pm
you know my memory...
driver
3wood
19*
25*
5-9i
pw, gw, sw, lw
putter

that right? i just dont want to give up my 3 and 4 iron, not both for sure. that's were my problems arise. we have the same set up but i prefer 3i instead of 3w... i think i need my 3w for 4states this year...

2 things... where do you use a 3 or 4 iron where you couldn't hit that 24* ... and your playing in the states?  When did this occur (guess that's 3 not 2)

kingofdequeen

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 01:12:05 pm
so when you play 14 club rule.. what do you remove? (besides your panties)

64* (recent gift from kamikaze) or a hybrid.

i'm rocking 16 right now.  :D

driver
spoon
baffing spoon
mid mashie hybrid
mashie iron hybrid / mashie iron (i'm hitting the moonball again...so i'm stuck on which to carry)
mashie through niblick
4 jiggers
putter(s).

so, i can go from 14 to 17 in a heartbeat.

Feralhog

Our group has these USGA rules exceptions:

Same Ball Rule
You can use a putting ball
rub of grin on ball resting in French drain (no relief)
14 club waived

MY Bag

1w, 3w, 5w
17* hybrid
21* hybrid
2-pw
54*, 58*
Putter

Tournament play I lose both hybrids and either 5w or 2I depending upon conditions
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 01:31:31 pm
2 things... where do you use a 3 or 4 iron where you couldn't hit that 24* ... and your playing in the states?  When did this occur (guess that's 3 not 2)

they are basically interchangeable except 24* has 8 iron trajectory and when wind is blowing it sucks. i can hit 3 iron >/= to 24* on a calm day... on a windy day i can hit it 20 yards farther.

kingofdequeen

the BALL SWITCH!!!

doesn't seem to be as necessary as back in the day. 

Rock Flite off the tee, Tour Traj 384 for the green.

billcollector

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 01:50:15 pm
they are basically interchangeable except 24* has 8 iron trajectory and when wind is blowing it sucks. i can hit 3 iron >/= to 24* on a calm day... on a windy day i can hit it 20 yards farther.

you missed a ?

and why don't you bring the self swinger back... that thing went a mile...

Feralhog

May 17, 2010, 01:57:48 pm #13 Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:19:36 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 17, 2010, 01:51:24 pm
the BALL SWITCH!!!

doesn't seem to be as necessary as back in the day. 

Rock Flite off the tee, Tour Traj 384 for the green.
we play the ball down so you can't switch through the green.  You can change balls on the green but it must be the same brand as you tee'd off with.  Other words you tee off with an X then your putting ball must be an X.  Same ball rule waived means you can tee off the first with BRAND A then switch balls on the tee to BRAND B,C OR D anytime you want.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 01:53:53 pm
you missed a ?

forgot, pard from this weekend and i took winnings from HTO to TCC and signed up.

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 01:53:53 pm
and why don't you bring the self swinger back... that thing went a mile...

dont make this any harder than it is!!!

gotyacovered

ok.... so as usual i am making this harder than it has to be....

anyone know their exact yardages on each iron (including wedges)??? mine are all over the board. i want to know if my lofts need to be checked/changed... of if someone just knows the average difference 4* of loft makes i can determine it from there.

club   carry   diff
3w   260   
17   240   20
24   225   15
3i   220   5
4i   208   12
5i   197   11
6i   186   11
7i   177   9
8i   163   14
9i   146   17
47*   134   12
53*   117   17
56*   104   13
60*   90   14

BTW these are carry distances... and could be off a yard or two... may just need to have my 7-8-9 checked... i ordered these clubs new from mizzy in june-july of 2008.

billcollector

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 02:05:01 pm
forgot, pard from this weekend and i took winnings from HTO to TCC and signed up.

yall got in?  wow.... heard they already had 96 teams... awesome though... appears little bro and I have our practice round nassau bet secured... oh and first round can be on you also.

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 02:46:56 pm
yall got in?  wow.... heard they already had 96 teams... awesome though... appears little bro and I have our practice round nassau bet secured... oh and first round can be on you also.

probably wont be a practice round for me... not on Thursday before anyway... might go play this weekend...

i think the 96 team deal you heard was wrong... dont know tho, he didnt at like it was full... but i didnt ask... or we just got in b/c we declared champ flight... dont know.

billcollector

May 17, 2010, 02:50:44 pm #19 Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:07:46 pm by billcollector
Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 02:05:31 pm
dont make this any harder than it is!!!

nothing difficult about it... but in self swinger... remove 3 iron... shouldn't have a gap... opps just saw your other post... let me dissect that one aswell.

billcollector

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 02:50:23 pm
probably wont be a practice round for me... not on Thursday before anyway... might go play this weekend...

i think the 96 team deal you heard was wrong... dont know tho, he didnt at like it was full... but i didnt ask... or we just got in b/c we declared champ flight... dont know.

WTH - no practice round... i am fuming know and the tourney is 3+ weeks away.

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 02:52:04 pm
WTH - no practice round... i am fuming know and the tourney is 3+ weeks away.

man you know how it is at the office right now... pard and i were talking this weekend, take out the two golf tourneys and you know how many times ive played 18 holes since march??? like 2 times... if you want to get really mad... we probably wont even play in the shoot out.

billcollector

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 03:22:35 pm
man you know how it is at the office right now... pard and i were talking this weekend, take out the two golf tourneys and you know how many times ive played 18 holes since march??? like 2 times... if you want to get really mad... we probably wont even play in the shoot out.

if it is so bad then how you going to pull off a 3 day tournament?  and you have played more than that... just cause you don't get to play 18, doesn't mean you haven't played... wednesday evenings 9 holes... you should just make it a staple to play in the sunday game...

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 03:30:16 pm
if it is so bad then how you going to pull off a 3 day tournament?

b/c i have forfeited my 3:00 wed and 1:00 Friday game privileges for the time being... and i didnt get to play this past weekend at LRCC... unfortunately there are some things more important than golf... at this point its work and baseball for little slick.

just cause you don't get to play 18, doesn't mean you haven't played... wednesday evenings 9 holes...

disagree completely. not getting to play multiple rounds competitive, play the ball down, putt it out have to finish a hole when you chop it hurts your golf game. playing 9 on Wednesday afternoons, after work (even when for money) is completely different and playing 18 holes and trying to shoot a good score. most of the time i am working on my swing instead of playing golf anyway--which is proved to be a little costly.

you should just make it a staple to play in the sunday game...

played every time ive been in town (twice)

billcollector

you talking little rock or little river?  couldn't agree more... just was making a point that it isn't like you have only played twice excluding tourney's... i fully understand family activities come first and golf is generally third or fourth.

next... this is no fault of mine... i take my nine holes seriously enough to understand that working on my swing is done on the range... not playing the $1 game / wolf...

lastly... hope to see you this sunday... greens should be nice... .

*couldn't figure out how to multiple quote*

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 03:59:44 pm
you talking little rock or little river?

little rock

i fully understand family activities come first and golf is generally third or fourth.

yep... watching gotya jr throw out people from his knees from short stop was as good as shooting 66

next... this is no fault of mine... i take my nine holes seriously enough to understand that working on my swing is done on the range... not playing the $1 game / wolf...

what if you dont have time for the range?

lastly... hope to see you this sunday... greens should be nice...

hope so to... may be at the lake

*couldn't figure out how to multiple quote*
ha ha... think cut/paste

billcollector

little rock cc 4 ball was this past weekend... didn't you know this since your neighbor played in it with goldfish farmer...

2nd... can understand... yet you still allow him to get beat up at school... jk

3rd... you will probably lose $50 or more in a 9 hole $1 game...

4th... must be nice to be rich

last... cut/paste is for homos.

gotyacovered

Quote from: billcollector on May 17, 2010, 04:32:57 pm
little rock cc 4 ball was this past weekend... didn't you know this since your neighbor played in it with goldfish farmer...

his original pard was me

2nd... can understand... yet you still allow him to get beat up at school... jk

completely untrue... although he is not a fighter and a slight mommas boy...

3rd... you will probably lose $50 or more in a 9 hole $1 game...

been there done that, wont happen again

4th... must be nice to be rich

wheres that comin from?

last... cut/paste is for homos.

your just mad b/c you cant figure it out

hogdiggity

1 hybrid currently, that will change when I find a 15-17 degree one I like.  two wedges, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ,8, 9 iron

gotyacovered

back on topic (kind of)

i cant believe KoD hasnt chimed in on this yardage debacle of mine, was anticipating a statistical analysis by now.... and his yardages... including his 'sawed off' shots.

Feralhog

May 17, 2010, 05:29:13 pm #30 Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:39:37 pm by Feralhog
3w (13*) - 260
5w - 235
17* - 230
21* - 210
2i - 220-230
3i - 210-215
4i - 200-205
5i - 185-195
6i - 170-180
7i - 165
8i - 150-155
9i - 135-140
p-49* - 115-130
54* 100-110
58* 85-105

1st number is distance, 2nd number is distance I'm comfortable with going after it.

hawgtahm

I purchase a set of Adams a7s over the winter. Comes with 3h and 4h and a 'hollow' 5i, then 6-p. Because I suck, I swapped the a7 hybrids for the a7OS models,  at no extra charge. I'm not sure that was a good move, because what I didn't realize is the OSs are draw biased.

I also have a G10 18* hybrid that I can't hit, but keep it in the bag 'cause I don't have anything to swap it with. Then it's a G10 driver and 3w, 56/8 Vokey, 52/11 CG14 and my Rossie II mallet. I guess I should trade the G10 hybrid for a 60*???

kingofdequeen

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 17, 2010, 04:43:06 pm
back on topic (kind of)

i cant believe KoD hasnt chimed in on this yardage debacle of mine, was anticipating a statistical analysis by now.... and his yardages... including his 'sawed off' shots.

i used to be like you.  had to know distances to the foot.

now, i just want someone to tell me "somewhere in there bout"

gotyacovered

Had that one wrong... Smart guys like you usually can't be like that.  Humor me and give me you yardages. We are all more like feral and have ranges... But try and put it on paper and see what you come up with... That's what I did in an attempt to figure out hybird situation... Here I was trying to be more anlytical... And was way off KoD base.

kingofdequeen

58 - 90
52 - 115
pw - 135
9   - 150
8   - 165
7   - 175
6   - 185
5   - 195
4   - 205
3   - 220
5wood - 235
3wood - 245
driver  - 265

that's pretty close.  hardly ever hit a full shot w/ anything less than a 5.

Hawg414

man.. i cant BUH-LEEB how many of you folk are carrying 15, 16, 17 clubs!!
i think the only rule more basic than that is you cant throw the ball.

hell part of the game is the strategy of what trade-off you are willing to make.  the game is much easier if you have a club that fills every 5 yard gap from 50yds to 300. 

im gonna have to reevaluate some of the scores i read about on here :)

hawgtahm

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 17, 2010, 08:55:18 pm
man.. i cant BUH-LEEB how many of you folk are carrying 15, 16, 17 clubs!!
i think the only rule more basic than that is you cant throw the ball.

hell part of the game is the strategy of what trade-off you are willing to make.  the game is much easier if you have a club that fills every 5 yard gap from 50yds to 300. 

im gonna have to reevaluate some of the scores i read about on here :)

WHAT? Can't throw the ball? What if I carry 13 in the bag and a hand wedge at the end of my right arm?

gotyacovered

414, your right... I carry 15 and need to figure our how to get rid of two and throw my 3w back in the mix... So you got anything to add or you gonna keep busting balls???? j/k

kingofdequeen

if you're playing in the summer scrambles carrying less than the full complement of every club you can fit in your bag, you're not trying.

Hawg414

busting balls is much more fun.  especially when its warranted!!

im a short knocker, so i only carry 2 wedges (3 counting the pw).  i have to have the hybrid between the 3w and the 3i.  and in fact, im debating on adding yet another hybrid and dropping to only 1 wedge.  i can do this bc A) i need clubs that go farther B) i play eye2s, so my pw is actually 51*, which is essentially a gap wedge, so i could possibly get away with just a 56*. 

i mean granted.. i would miss the 60*.. bc there are definitely times it comes in handy... but back to my original point, i am willing to TRADE OFF the 60 for an additional long club. 

Hawg414

or.. apparently.. i could just KEEP the 2 wedges.. add a 54 and a 58.. and the 2nd hybrid along with a 5w to account for when i am downwind...add a 2nd putter (maybe a 2-ball mallett putter for those short ones).. maybe a draw driver and a fade driver...

thats 20 clubs.  how many more can i actually physically fit in a golf bag??  ;)

Feralhog

The kind of volume in our mandatory game, mabye you'd be ok giving the frikers in my group a six club advantage but I sure as hell won't.  There's a reason they call these guys "the bandits" in these parts!

Junkyard Hog

I've got a question for you golf gurus.

When looking at your distances with clubs, it looks like my irons are about the same, but my woods are shorter.

This has been a question of mine for a while.  When I hit my irons, I'm as long as anyone I play with, but just average with my driver.  Any thoughts?  Here are my distances.

Driver ------250
3W---------230
5W---------215
4I----------205
5I----------195
6I----------185
7I----------175
8I----------165
9I----------155
PW---------140
UW---------125
SW---------110

kingofdequeen

what kind of bats are you beating?

Junkyard Hog

Ping G5's
Taylor Made V Steel 3 and 5 Woods
Taylor Made Burner Driver

kingofdequeen

well...from the jump street, the irons are 2 degrees strong.

as far as the others?  shafts and launch angles explain the lack of distances in your woods, or you may trap the heck out of your irons.

there was a guy at Delta St a few years ago that hit his PW a legit 160...he trapped the ever loving crap out of it.  used pings, too.

Kamikaze

and with trapping the crap out of your irons, your downswing may be steeper than desired for the woods.

That's the type of stuff that you don't typically diagnose over the internets though.

kingofdequeen

naw man...you should definitely change your swing path b/c some slapdick on the internet assumed something.  :D

Junkyard Hog

May 18, 2010, 02:02:00 pm #48 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:03:32 pm by Junkyard Hog
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 18, 2010, 01:46:06 pm
well...from the jump street, the irons are 2 degrees strong.

as far as the others?  shafts and launch angles explain the lack of distances in your woods, or you may trap the heck out of your irons.

there was a guy at Delta St a few years ago that hit his PW a legit 160...he trapped the ever loving crap out of it.  used pings, too.

Thanks.  It just seems funny to me when some guy outdrives me and I'm hitting 2 clubs less into the green.  It hasn't always been like that, I think I've lost some distance with my woods.

Quote from: Kamikaze on May 18, 2010, 01:49:04 pm
and with trapping the crap out of your irons, your downswing may be steeper than desired for the woods.

That's the type of stuff that you don't typically diagnose over the internets though.

Thanks.  I think you may be right about my downswing being too steep.

Feralhog

Quote from: Kamikaze on May 18, 2010, 01:49:04 pm

I was thinking this