Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alvarez Inconsistency

Started by Razorfox, November 09, 2017, 10:03:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

The situation at Wisconsin is a big part of that 'success'.
Good program? Yes sir.

But just look last week. #9 Wisconsin beats Indiana. Woo hoo.
When you get to play Indiana, Northwestern, etc a lot that helps your record.

Wisc is both: a good program and a good situation.
That explains why coaches can succeed there but not be so hot elsewhere. Different set of circumstances.

CareBear

Quote from: Razorfox on November 09, 2017, 12:08:43 pm
Right, because they're keyboard heroes.  It's easy to sound smart and throw spears at everyone that makes decisions when you're on a message board.  But in most cases, if you go back and look at their post histories, their decisions/desires would have gotten us something worse or are so unrealistic as to be comical.
Yes he was a bad hire. Jeffy did not do a thorough job of researching and vetting CBB. Not to mention it was done behind Alvarez's back so Jeffy obviously didn't have occasion to get the scoop from Papa Alvarez. It was a bad hire in terms of style of play, Coaching acumen, aesthetics, etc...I have thought that it was a bad hire since day one.

Pork Twain

He has been a colossal failure here but it is hard to argue that at the time of the hire, he was not qualified.  Especially in light of the names being thrown out now, that have a fraction of the success he had against anywhere near the same level of competition.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MountieDawg

Quote from: Razorfox on November 09, 2017, 10:03:23 am
For those of you that say that CBB was only successful at Wisconsin because of Alvarez, you are stuck in the middle of the logical fallacy of inconsistency. 

First, you say that Alvarez was an amazing coach and is so good that he can be an AD and help his football coach be successful at the same time.  A subset of that was that Alvarez helped CBB pick good assistants.  However, it's also a fact that Alvarez handpicked CBB as his replacement as the head coach.  How can Alvarez be so great at everything, including picking coaches, yet suck at picking his own replacement?

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the fact that CBB hasn't succeeded here.  I'm merely making the case that he was a successful coach when he was hired here.

Doesn't matter, he is the worst coach in the history of Razorback football. No coach with his record has coached 5 years.
SEC!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Razorfox on November 09, 2017, 10:11:58 am
So you're telling me that Alvarez purposefully picks head coaches that he thinks are average or poor just so he can help them look good, so that a few crazies on a message board can conspiratorially attribute the success to him?  Sure, that makes a lot of sense.  NOT!

In actuality, it would make Alvarez look better if he got the best coaches he could, was an involved AD, and together they won a conference championship or NC.  Since that's actually what probably happened (or was his desire) when he picked CBB to be his replacement, he thought CBB was a good coach.

Again, for different reasons, CBB's success didn't follow him to Arkansas, but his lack of success here does NOT in any way diminish his time before he came.  Nor was he a bad choice based on his resume and history.   
I can believe he picked a mediocre coach who would serve more as s puppet while he pulls the strings in the background. The same way Pat Riley hired Erik Spoelstra. The guy was a video coordinator before coaching a NBA championship team. You better believe Riley called the shots. It's actually a win win. You continue to have a major impact on how the team is ran and look good when the coach is winning. When the coach loses the coach takes the blame instead of Alvarez.

hawg66

Quote from: rude1 on November 09, 2017, 10:56:28 pm
I have no idea what your point is and I am starting to doubt whether you do too. How hard is it to understand that Alvarez already knows what it takes to win at Wisky, he built that blueprint on how to do it. He isn't going to hire some lone ranger with his own bright idea on how to win at Wisky, he has his stamp all over that program and when another coach is hired he is hired with the understanding that he is to use "the blueprint". Naturally coaches egos kick in and start to believe they know better as Bret did and want to prove themselves away from here, unfortunately what works there only works there.

Bret Big 10 titles are more about being in the right place at the right time when the programs in the conference he couldn't beat were in transition or on probation, he was able to beat up on the bottom half of the bad teams in the conference, take his loss or two from the top of the conference and still win it.

It's a common sense point which is why you missed it. Was Alvarez a mentor?  Sure. Was he calling the shots? No. You keep saying the ball is still rolling. Zero titles in 5 years vs 3 in a row says not so much. Bielema on paper was a great hire. Any revisionist claims now are silly and self serving. Coaching hires are never guaranteed. The Hogs next one will be no different.