Started by flippinhogmana, February 05, 2018, 04:08:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

tenner hits a three from the corner, up by five
mason nearly turns it over, hogs out of bounds, mm steps across the mid stripe
tenner up by five travels
hogs (5:45 to go) williams fouled inside on the shot
will go to the line for two hits the first, and the second, hogs down by three
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

tenner hits a three to go up by five, (fiven a two apparently)
mason misses a three, but the vols board and hit a two, by seven
cosper hits a three, to take it back to four
russell misses a turnaround inside
cosper is fouled on the drive, none shooting and a media time out. hogs back four with the ball after we come back
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

cosper now with 16 points, monk with ten and mason with 9, williams with seven, zimmer and thomas with four.  williams now with six boards including a couple of offensive one here in the second half

flippinhogmana

cosper to the line hits her 17th and misses the seocnd, hogs down by three

flippinhogmana

tenner hits a three at the shot clock buzzer
monk falls down and travels, vols by six
tenner turns it over monk misses but cosper boards and gets the stick back, 57-53 cosper with 19

flippinhogmana

vols drive the baseline and score, and turn it over on a block (zimmer on the other end) 59-53 vols
tenner with the ball out of bounds on their end, and hit a thee for a nine point lead
monk hits a thee off a mason feed, back to six
1:25 to go in the 3rd
tenner hits inside, 64-56

flippinhogmana

tenner picks up the foul (russell her 2nd) thomas to the line, (35 second to go) misses the first, and the second, hits, seven point game

flippinhogmana

tenner hits a three from the conrer for a ten point lead going to the fourth quarter
Davis has 27 points.  We have done a good job on about everyone but her

flippinhogmana

for us Cosper has 19, and monk 13

flippinhogmana

monk misses but tenner draws a charge on the other end for a turnover
monk drives is fouled will go to the line, first is good, second misses vols by nine
hogs have misses seven fts
tenner misses monk feeds zimmer for a layup, vols by seven
williams steals the ballcopser hits a three, vols by only four
67-63 hogs on a 7-0 run

flippinhogmana

cosper with 22, eight minutes to go in the game

flippinhogmana

vols take a time out

flippinhogmana

tenner turns it over and cosper drills a three to pull the hogs within one

flippinhogmana

7:26 to go, russell fouled inside
25 now for cosper
tenner misses inside
cosper fouled on the drive, will go to the line for the lead, hits the first to tie it, and the second to give the hogs for the lead 68-67

flippinhogmana

tenner fouled on the drive on mm, to the line for two, hits the first to tie it, and the second hits as well to give the vols the lead back, 69-68, cosper misses
tenner fouled on the drive, foul on cosper maybe
time out hogs,

flippinhogmana

cosper now tied with game high, 27 points
tenner at the line, 6:13 to go, first misses short, second misses the other and williams boards
one point game, mason hits at the shot clock buzzer for the 11th lead change, 70-69 hogs, tenner misses but russel with the board and the foul, to the line to tie or go back in front, misses the first, second one to tie, hits it, 70-70monk almost turns it over

flippinhogmana

monk misses
tenner williams (tenner hits a three for 30 points and puts the vols up by three
williams with an offensive board for the hogs and ulls the hogs back to one,
another three for the vols puts them up by four and the hogs turn it over
and cosper fouls (not a good call) tenner hits the first, for a five point lead, and the second misses bur tenner gets the board, misses and get the board and put back, three offensive boards
hogs now down seven in a hurry
mason misses

flippinhogmana

under three to go
monk steals it and scores on the other end, five point game
monk now with 16

flippinhogmana

tenner travels
2:32 to go
monk drives misses, thomas gets a tip, misses and then picks up a foul
tenner to the line
nared hits the first, and the second as well, seven point game
mason turns it over
tenner turns it over and cosper drives and scores, five point game
tie up and the ball to the hogs, with jus tover one minute to go
monk drives and scores, three down, with 1:01 to go

flippinhogmana

cosper now with 29, monk 18

flippinhogmana

cosper picks up her fourth foul on the drive
tenner hits the first, up four, and the second hits as well five point game, under fourth seconds to go, monk hits a three off the mason feed, two point game with 30 second to go

flippinhogmana

monk now with 21
83-81 vols with the ball
tenner timeout on a trap at midcourt
tenner got away with a charge
21.4 seconds to go, vols to inbound
officials reviewing play
clearly a charge that wasnt called
rnb fouls (her fourth) tenne rto the line) hits the first, three point game, the second, cosper comes back in, hits the second four point game, monk is fouled on the drive to the line
16 seconds to go, monk hits the first and the second is good as well, two point game
arkansas time out, monk with 23 points

flippinhogmana

vols ball, zimmer fouls, tenner to the line for two with a two point lead, nits the first, and the second (15.2 to go) misses, hogs lose the ball cosper fouls out to stop the ball
vols by three and to the line with 8 seconds to go, hits the first, and the second is good, five point lead, they give monk the layup, 1.2 seconds left tenner to the line
up three, rnb fuls out
hits the first to seal it
and the second is good too
five point tlead and mason shot at the buzzer is off.  Hard fought loss.

Dr. Starcs

Terrific effort by the players and coaches. Tenner fortunate to escape.

flippinhogmana

hogs only 12-19 from the line, and out rebounded in offensive boards, 9-18, those were the two differences in the game.  Hogs played well, just too short.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 08, 2018, 08:58:54 pm
Terrific effort by the players and coaches. Tenner fortunate to escape.

they fought all the way.  It might have been a different outcome if that charge had been called correctly.

grayhawg

Thanks for keeping us dated

colemjh

flippinhogmana

Quote from: colemjh on February 08, 2018, 09:07:52 pm

I got what he meant to say.  There are more than a few typos in the thread that require some interpretation too!

flippinhogmana

they had a lead on the 11th ranked team in the country late in the fourth after fighting back from ten down to start the quarter....close, very close.  both mason and monk had critical turnovers despite having only a total of ten for the game, but we wouldnt have never been that close without them so you cant fault them that bad.

flippinhogmana

cosper with her career high of 29, I think monk's 25 was also a career high, mason with 11, Kiara Williams almost a double double (9 points, 10 boards, six of which were offensive).

psycHOGlogist

Great game. Not a huge fan of "moral victories," but ... this was a moral victory! lol

Great strategy by CMN, undone only by a hot shooting night from Rennia Davis. And maybe a few too many Arkansas missed FT's.

Very encouraging performance. Mizzou will be tougher to match up with, though, because unlike TN, Mizzou has some pretty solid outside shooters.

LadybackBBFan

I agree about Missouri being a better outside shooting team.  Coach's plan was to make them make 3's as they were shooting less than 25% for the year.  It worked in the first half, but not the second half.  I agree that early free throw misses may have cost us the game.  Regarding late turnovers, remember Cosper, Monk, Mason & Zimmerman played all but 6 minutes which RNB got.  At the pace that we play - that is amazing.  Tennessee helped by allowing us to be in a zone and having them take the shot clock down to the end.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 09, 2018, 08:11:41 am
I agree about Missouri being a better outside shooting team.  Coach's plan was to make them make 3's as they were shooting less than 25% for the year.  It worked in the first half, but not the second half.  I agree that early free throw misses may have cost us the game.  Regarding late turnovers, remember Cosper, Monk, Mason & Zimmerman played all but 6 minutes which RNB got.  At the pace that we play - that is amazing.  Tennessee helped by allowing us to be in a zone and having them take the shot clock down to the end.

yeah there were critical late turnovers, but as I said - without them (mason and monk) - we wouldn't have been in the game anyway.  Mason made the shot with the shot clock running out that gave us the lead near the five minute mark of the fourth quarter.  Monk was four for four from the arc including a late one.  Zimmer didnt play perfect either but she played all 40 minutes.  Coach talked about playing them too many minutes and I think he is also thinking he might be affecting some players not playing them, he mentioned it in this post game.  But no moral victory, still something to celebrate.

psycHOGlogist

I thought Zimmerman did just great, tbh. There is no way you could possibly expect more from her in that game. Same with Williams.

I'm not disappointed with anything from our side (except maybe reading some back-cuts from the corner better on defense). That was a very good effort against a high quality (if slightly over-rated, imo - without the TN mystique they'd be ranked about #20) opponent. Great job.

flippinhogmana

I think last night was another, higher level buy-in to the system and in themselves.  I think last night they bought into the fact that they can take down top twenty teams.  I dont think you can fail to appreciate the importance of that, even if it was a near miss and even if it was at our place.  This team could be very dangerous going forward.  Particularly if the girls on the bench want to get into the act.