zimmer hits a three, 66-43
mizzou turns it over as the double teams comes
mason hits a jumper, 66-45
mizzou with an offensive foul on porter battling weaver
monk misses
coming to the end of the third, mizzou with the last shot and a foul on weaver
and an and one, 68-45, hits, 69-45
at the end of three
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

actually the last foul was on zimmer, not weaver
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

hogs miss to open the quarter
missou does too
cospe rhasnt played much, weaver blocked inside by porter (returns the favor)
weaver fails to block out and gives up a put back, 71-45
mizzou and hogs bothmiss
monk misses
7:49 to go and the hogs haven scored yet, weaver ties mizzou up down low
still zmzzou ball, they force the shot and hit, and the and one, foul on some hog
weaver fouled down low on the shot, will go to the line, misses the first, and misses the second

flippinhogmana

malica monk blocks a shot outside,
zimmer out, stout in, monk scores, 73-47
mizzou hits a mid range jumper, 75-47
weaver fouled on the shot, will shot two
misses the first, and hits the second, 75-48

flippinhogmana

weaver with the board on a tiger miss, weaver fouled on the board,
non shooting
thomas in, weaver out
five minutes left in the game
foul on spangler
non shooting
olay defense and another tigers scores, monk blocked on the other end 77-48
and another score inside, 79-48
and the hogs score on the other end, 79-50
time out on the court,

flippinhogmana

mason with the last hogs bucket, she now has 15
cosper has played only 18 minutes tonight and is not apt to return (take it as a rest in a non-winnable game)
mason and zimmer with 32, zimmer is finished for the night, mason still in

flippinhogmana

monk with 28, and is now out as well,
mcclure, spangler, mason, stout and thomas on the floor for the last, 3:30

flippinhogmana

hogs dribbled out the shot clock
mizzou hits a running layup, 81-50 travel on the hogs?
no media timeout?
the time off seems to have affected the hogs a lot more than the tigers, it just looks like we never showed up a lot like we looked against florida

flippinhogmana

mizzou hits a three and thomas a two, 84-57

flippinhogmana

swinson hits two fts, 84-57
spangler fouled, will have fts, hits the first, misses the second,
spangler fouled, will have shots again, misses both, final 84-58

flippinhogmana

February 12, 2018, 09:58:11 pm #60 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:43:08 am by flippinhogmana
not much positive to say, except that Macy Weaver who I thought had been coming along (until she didn't even play two games) played well, especially her first stint in.  Her other time, she also played credibly.  They only scored on her twice, but she also successfully defended down low several times.  She did block one shot, and she did block another that was wrongly called a foul so she didn't get credit for the second block.

Mason was steady as usual, and Zimmer battled hard and in some way had her best game.  She will probably always put up wild shots, but she will be prone to do that more when other players arent really doing much.  If she is going to be putting up hook shots she needs to be working on them.  I used to shoot hook shots too, with either hand, but they were form shots, not flings as she some times puts up.  But again, I dont fault her effort and I applaud her tenacity. 

At least Mike rested some of the troops and gave the rest of the team some playing time. 

LadybackBBFan

It is obvious they are a tough matchup for us.  We played our best when Weaver was in the lineup.  Coach's post game comments about her continue to encourage me about her for next year.  I believe we will be a lot better next year and might surprise some teams.  It was obvious that coach saved Williams and also Cosper and Monk to some extent for the Kentucky game which we definitely need to win.

ladybackfan

Weaver did well. She is strong enough that they were not shoving her out of the way.

flippinhogmana

February 13, 2018, 08:46:49 am #63 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:06:51 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 13, 2018, 08:14:51 am
It is obvious they are a tough matchup for us.  We played our best when Weaver was in the lineup.  Coach's post game comments about her continue to encourage me about her for next year.  I believe we will be a lot better next year and might surprise some teams.  It was obvious that coach saved Williams and also Cosper and Monk to some extent for the Kentucky game which we definitely need to win.

It was because of that tough matchup that I gave us a better chance of upsetting Tenner than them.  They have some height, but they are a finesse team that negates our quickness, so we dont have any advantages against them.  They have pretty much shut down Malica twice.  Devin in other circumstances could have helped but when they came out shooting 90 percent against us and a 100 percent from the line for the first quarter, it obviously made the most sense to save her for Kentucky, who we can beat. 

As far as Weaver, several times (in previous games as well) we have played our best when Weaver was in the lineup for whatever reason.  Her footwork is improving as well, she is a lot better on ball defending than she was at the first of the year.  You can tell that on ball defense is a new experience for her from high school.

She will get better in seeing the court in her mind (rather than just seeing her own responsibility) as she grows.   When she does she will be better at dropping back to pick up off ball cuts and on help defense.  Right now -
because she doesn't see things quick enough, she is reacting rather than planning - she is often a step slow as a result, but I can see the game growing in her mind, in her mental awareness.  I can see her working hard in picking up her intensity too.  If she continues to work hard, she will get much, much better.  I saw her use a head fake this game, she moves to the open area better, fights for position better, but she is still learning when and how to do it.   She will learn not only how to fight for position to get the entry pass, but on getting position such that she can do something with it when she does. 

Right now most of the time she gets open, she hasn't gotten into a position to either turn and shoot or drive, as a result a lot of the times, there isn't any real point in the guards feeding her.  She has to learn some of the same things on defense (how to body up the defender, but not so squarely that you can't take a drop step to get back to seal off a back cut, give and go or a drive).  When she learns those little artful things she will begin to emerge more and more as the game slows down for her. 

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 11, 2018, 07:08:47 pm
  extended quote from Tenner thread "I concede that Tennessee will win.  Probably by 20 points unless their entire team comes down with flu or something of that nature.  So rather than paying any attention to the score, I will be entertained by watching what Monk and other of my favorite players do."

At least you are headed in the right direction!

I am not entirely convinced that is precise and applicable logic for a variety of reasons.  Basketball is not purely logical.  It is a game played with emotion among other things.  A desire for revenge often motivates people to achieve things not otherwise attainable.  For instance, our game against Tenner, far from draining the girls, might very well serve to enlighten them.  They may see that if they could nearly beat the Vols, they should be able to pull the same off with Mizzou, particularly wanting to avenge the drubbing they got from them at their place.

These are also 18-22 year olds - they have a short muscle memory - physically they should be well recovered from whatever physical taxation their effort pulled from. them  Mix in the disruption that the travel difficulties might inflict upon Mizzou, and I dont view it entirely outside the realm of possibility that we could pull off a defeat of the Tigers. 

Devin Cosper is surging as well, I wouldn't be surprised to see another career high from her, plus a couple of players who didnt see the court against Tenner could surprise.  I also want to beat Mizzou more than I did Tenner.  Logically, or illogically, I think we will beat them.
I cannot agree with that. I recall at that age a physical competition I entered.  I really tried hard and did well.  Then for some reason it was canceled and we were to do it again several day later.  That was too much.  I wasn't up to it physically nor emotionally.

Therefore, I'm not disappointed with the outcome. Also, it seems to me like Coach Neighbors was giving Monk and Cosper more rest; perhaps thinking about the next game.

BWS

In my opinion, Missouri is the second best team in the SEC behind Mississippi State.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on February 13, 2018, 11:14:05 am
In my opinion, Missouri is the second best team in the SEC behind Mississippi State.

In some ways, depending on who they match up, results based, I would agree with you and so would I think Coach Neighbors, that is why I think he told their coach that - depending on their draw in the tournament, he could see them going all the way to the sweet sixteen or maybe even the final four.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on February 13, 2018, 11:10:51 am
I cannot agree with that. I recall at that age a physical competition I entered.  I really tried hard and did well.  Then for some reason it was canceled and we were to do it again several day later.  That was too much.  I wasn't up to it physically nor emotionally.

Therefore, I'm not disappointed with the outcome. Also, it seems to me like Coach Neighbors was giving Monk and Cosper more rest; perhaps thinking about the next game.

well I am not seeking to either agree or disagree with you per se.  However, certain key players, notably, Cosper, Monk and Mason log more minutes than anyone else and are more susceptible to longer term fatigue.  But how we played the fist quarter had no so much to do with that.  It has to do somewhat with missouri.  Other  than giving them good looks, nothing we did made them shoot 90 percent.  I would argue that it was other factors in our not being ready.   we played them pretty equally for three quarters, but by then we were twenty points behind.

As far as disappointment, they show up, they play, and they learn.  I move on to the next game with them.  As short and as young in some respects as this team is, every game in conference being a challenge, I am more than happy with every effort they give and the results as well.  I just always hope for better next game.