Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Hogs add Gabe Osabuohien to '17 class ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, May 24, 2017, 04:43:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawker

My 2 cents.  I watched him shoot around with All-Stars at Real Deal.  I thought that he was the most physically imposing guy there - in terms of his size to athleticism ratio - after Perry, Zion Williamson, and maybe 1 or 2 others.  I was actually full-on rooting for this kid to end up as a Hog.  I think some of you are going to find out you were wrong about your lackluster feelings regarding this pick up.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Rawker on May 26, 2017, 12:31:43 am
My 2 cents.  I watched him shoot around with All-Stars at Real Deal.  I thought that he was the most physically imposing guy there - in terms of his size to athleticism ratio - after Perry, Zion Williamson, and maybe 1 or 2 others.  I was actually full-on rooting for this kid to end up as a Hog.  I think some of you are going to find out you were wrong about your lackluster feelings regarding this pick up.

He may not be finished growing either. This a nice pick up no matter how you slice it. He clearly has some skills to make a nice contribution. Certainly not a reach...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

azhog10

redleg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 24, 2017, 04:57:35 pm
When is the last time the hogs had a 6'8 small forward, I guess Powell and Qualls would be the closest
Powell was 6'7, and Qualls was 6'6" MAYBE...more like 6'5".
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redleg

How do you pronounce Gabe's last name, and where is he from?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

niels_boar

May 26, 2017, 01:37:29 pm #55 Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:12:43 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 26, 2017, 11:10:46 am
Kids outside the top 40 are projects?  You sure have a high bar.  You do realize teams that have done very well in the NCAAT are completely composed of kids outside the top 40 and have been for years.  News flash, that 40 number you chose is simply laughable.

Here is what I said.

"most kids outside the top-40 are projects to some degree in that hopefully your roster is stacked enough so that the staff can have them on campus at least a year before they are depended upon for primary roles.

I have no idea how that got translated into teams must have kids who were once top-40 recruits to do well in the NCAA tournament.  In no way was I precluding 40+ ranked players from ever dominating the production on good teams, just not usually as frosh.  Sure, teams without any high end recruits can be very good, but usually those teams are anchored by upperclassmen.  Those players had to develop a year or three to compete with the one-and-dones at the elite schools.  As such, those players were projects in that they needed to improve significantly over their careers to play at elite level.

I think we have two different definitions of "project". By "project" I don't mean unlikely to ever be a quality college basketball player.   I mean that he is a player that is a work in progress as a frosh that the coaches expect to be much better later than sooner, and that's true of most players in the bottom half of the top-100 as well.  If the rankings are accurate, you expect the probability is high that 40-100 type recruits will eventually be valued starters, but that doesn't meant that most don't need a lot of work before you can depend on them.  The coach would usually rather that be a year or two later if their job is in jeopardy.

Kingsley is a prime example. He was a 50-75 ranked recruit, a project, and a player that nobody was surprised to see develop into a quality player.  His arc for players ranked at roughly that level is more the norm than the exception.  Quality, limited minutes as frosh to anchor player as a senior.  Madden is another example.  He was a project in that he needed skill development before we could depend on him and be very good.

247 2016 rankings (41-50)

41.  De'ron Davis - Indiana (14 minutes, 6 points per game)
42.  Nick Ward - MSU (20 minutes, 14 points)
43.  Kameron McGutsy - OU (22 minutes, 9 points) OU was 11-20
44.  Ty Jerome - UVA (9 minutes, 2 points)
45.  De'Riante Jenkins - VCU ( 13 minutes, 5 point)
46.  Shamorie Ponds - St Johns (33 minutes, 17 points) SJU was 14 - 19
47.  Ike Anigbogu - UCLA (13 minutes, 5 points)
48.  Schnider Herard - MissStake (16 minutes, 5 points) MSU was 16-16
49.  Seventh Woods - UNC (9 minutes, 2 points)
50.  Amir Coffey - Minnesota (31 minutes, 12 points)

Six of 10 played 16 minutes, or less.  Three of those weren't even in the rotation. Of the four that started, two were on lousy teams that didn't come close to the postseason.  The two exceptions were Ward and Coffey.

There are a few kids every year in the bottom 60 who were underrated or develop rapidly late that are instant stars like Williams at A&M.  Many frosh in this range can plug holes or shore up a quality second unit in otherwise solid rotations.  However, the majority are kids that a coach would prefer to play supplementary roles for at least a year.  Auburn's four leading scorers were frosh - two 5-stars and two 4-stars.  They were 7-11 in the SEC. If they win the NC in three years, it won't change the fact that they weren't ready to carry a team as frosh.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

southwesthawg

Quote from: redleg on May 26, 2017, 01:24:24 pm
How do you pronounce Gabe's last name, and where is he from?

Toronto, Canada

Played at Southwest in Little Rock for his Senior Year.

Oh sah Boy in

southwesthawg

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2017, 03:07:29 pm
What is the talent level that they compete against? Comparable to 7A in Arkansas? Better, worse?
They play teams all over the nation.  They play some cupcakes but most are teams like them (Teams with kids from all the world brought together to play Basketball).  They play in a lot of showcases and tournaments.   Their schedule is more like a college schedule than High School with all the travel.   But to answer the question just like their games are all over the Map so is the Competition level: they will play teams that are better than 7A, cupcakes that just want to play a team full d1 players, large home school groups, teams on about the same level as 7A.  They also play a lot of teams with the nations top recruits on them so they see a lot of big name players.  Where ever they are College coaches follow so teams want to play them.

Pork Twain

Could you imagine the pressure he is going to be under to replace Hazen's production?  I joke...I joke...I keed...I keed...  seriously though, just look at the Hazen thread.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jgphillips3

If we really want to get back to pressing and trapping, we need more guys like Roger Crawford...and this guy fits that bill.  Tall, can run the floor, great wingspan, etc.  Sure, he's not a 5 star impact player, but the 2018 class is loaded, especially if Hill comes early, so getting this guy in the system now will be helpful when that talent infusion happens.  With the assortment of kids we have and are getting, I think this team will look a lot more like the 1988-1992, May-Day Hogs if they develop correctly.  Lots of length and athleticism.

tophawg19

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 28, 2017, 08:16:36 pm
If we really want to get back to pressing and trapping, we need more guys like Roger Crawford...and this guy fits that bill.  Tall, can run the floor, great wingspan, etc.  Sure, he's not a 5 star impact player, but the 2018 class is loaded, especially if Hill comes early, so getting this guy in the system now will be helpful when that talent infusion happens.  With the assortment of kids we have and are getting, I think this team will look a lot more like the 1988-1992, May-Day Hogs if they develop correctly.  Lots of length and athleticism.
I see more of a Derrick Hood type guy which would make me happy if he plays close to that level
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Otis

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 28, 2017, 10:31:25 pm
I see more of a Derrick Hood type guy which would make me happy if he plays close to that level

Derek Hood was a McDonald's all american

Slater

Oregon has developed a healthy Canadian pipeline, impressive athletes
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 28, 2017, 10:31:25 pm

Derek Hood was my favorite player. So please don't use this comparison on players that do not warrant it.

Hood was a McDonald's All American and an ELITE athlete. Gabe is not close to Hood.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 29, 2017, 07:35:07 am
Derek Hood was my favorite player. So please don't use this comparison on players that do not warrant it.

Hood was a McDonald's All American and an ELITE athlete. Gabe is not close to Hood.

Gabe honestly is probably close to what Keaton Miles gave us.

The_Iceman

Quote from: King Kong on May 29, 2017, 07:45:38 am

Not a bad comparison. His videos arent much unlikely Miles out of high school.

navyhog24

Let us hope he doesn't turn out that way though

BannerMountainMan

how?? One is a 6'7 Small forward that can shoot and one is a 6'7 power forward that could only rebound, get a life
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

King Kong

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 29, 2017, 09:11:15 am
how?? One is a 6'7 Small forward that can shoot and one is a 6'7 power forward that could only rebound, get a life

If you think Gabe will play the majority of his mins at SF you are mistaken.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 25, 2017, 08:31:15 pm
Pippen didn't play for Conway!

UCA is located in Conway and Scottie went as a manager until he grew six inches in a year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 29, 2017, 09:11:15 am

Keaton Miles was a SF out of high school with a very similar skill set to Gabe. Due to injuries and system, he became a PF.

rzrbackramsfan

I hear this Gabe  kid is currently as good as Lebron James.  Now, that's just what I heard through the grapevine.  It might turn out he's only as good as Kobe Bryant or maybe even down to Dirk Nowitzki in his prime.  Regardless, I think he should be ready to contribute.

daBoar

May 29, 2017, 01:21:24 pm #72 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:58:45 pm by daBoar
Quote from: The_Iceman on May 29, 2017, 07:35:07 am

Would you not think it were a good thing if he were more like Hood than, say, Miles?

ArkansasI

Gosh, is Gabe really a 4?  From the little tape that I watched, he looks more like a guard-forward.

Without giving the young man credit before it's due, I'd compare him more to Paul Pressey-type rather than Hood or Miles. His arm length compares favorably to old time Hogs that were great at creating match-up problems.

Hopefully, he'll learn to defend like many that played for Nolan. If he does, he could wreck havoc on the front of the press.

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 29, 2017, 07:10:05 pm #74 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:23:34 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: ArkansasI on May 29, 2017, 01:55:12 pm
Gosh, is Gabe really a 4?  From the little tape that I watched, he looks more like a guard-forward.

Without giving the young man credit before it's due, I'd compare him more to Paul Pressey-type rather than Hood or Miles. His arm length compares favorably to old time Hogs that were great at creating match-up problems.

Hopefully, he'll learn to defend like many that played for Nolan. If he does, he could wreck havoc on the front of the press.

KM has already stated Gabe was told by the coaches like him has 4/3 player. So he will play atleast some 4

The_Iceman

Quote from: daBoar on May 29, 2017, 01:21:24 pm
Would you not think it were a good thing if he were more like Hood than, say, Miles?

If he were, that'd be great. But he isnt. If Javon Franklin were 6'8", he'd be the next Derek Hood, but he's 6'5"-6'6".

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 29, 2017, 07:10:05 pm
KM has already stated Gabe was told by the coaches like him has 4/3 player. So he will play atleast some 4

And, if you're at least 6'7, you are going to play some at the spot a 4 would play under Anderson. I don't think that necessarily makes a player a PF but we've had some many 6'7 guys in that spot. Can't think of anyone 6'7 who didn't play in that spot while Anderson's been at Arkansas.

Kevin McPherson

HoopS

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 25, 2017, 08:31:15 pm
Pippen didn't play for Conway!
he most certainly did play for UCA. High school at Hamburg.

mhuff

Quote from: HoopS on May 30, 2017, 11:33:26 am
he most certainly did play for UCA. High school at Hamburg.

Think he must mean hs

PonderinHog

HoopS

It is University of Central Arkansas. Although everybody I know knows it's in Conway and it isn't uncommon to say one went to school in Conway when referring to UCA. But that's why I mentioned he played high school in Hamburg.

NoogaHog

Quote from: HoopS on May 30, 2017, 04:20:01 pm
It is University of Central Arkansas. Although everybody I know knows it's in Conway and it isn't uncommon to say one went to school in Conway when referring to UCA. But that's why I mentioned he played high school in Hamburg.

The Hendrix people here, me and .....uh..... oh, I'm sure there is someone else, take exception to this assumption.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

FineAsSwine

Is the signing of a financial aid agreement the same, or as binding, as a letter of intent? Also, why is he signing a financial aid agreement if he is getting a scholarship?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 31, 2017, 11:15:46 am
Is the signing of a financial aid agreement the same, or as binding, as a letter of intent? Also, why is he signing a financial aid agreement if he is getting a scholarship?

Binding, but only the player is protected, meaning until he enrolls in school he could change his mind and go elsewhere. Letters-of-intent can only be signed in week-long Nov early period and 5-week-long spring signing period. Financial-aid agreement (or grant-in-aid agreement) will result in a normal athletic scholarship, same as if he had signed an LOI.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 31, 2017, 12:20:11 pm
Binding, but only the player is protected, meaning until he enrolls in school he could change his mind and go elsewhere. Letters-of-intent can only be signed in week-long Nov early period and 5-week-long spring signing period. Financial-aid agreement (or grant-in-aid agreement) will result in a normal athletic scholarship, same as if he had signed an LOI.

Thanks
Hogs up! Covid down!

MountieDawg

How many May signees under MA did not transfer after year 1?
SEC!

Pork Twain

June 04, 2017, 06:56:28 am #88 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:45:40 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: MountieDawg on June 04, 2017, 06:20:22 am
How many May signees under MA did not transfer after year 1?
Way to narrow that scope.  Unfortunately I do not think it worked out as well as you would have hoped

2011 - NA
2012 - Dee Wagner xfered
2013 - NA
2014 - Trey Thompson is still here
2015 - NA
2016 - NA
2017 - TBD
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogfanny

Quote from: ballinhog on May 25, 2017, 04:27:46 pm
We will have some length next season, of the 12 guys available to play, 9 of them are 6-5 or taller. Only Barford, Macon and Beard are under 6-5
With a name like that I hope he grows into the next allowajawon or manute boll type!