Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next step for the Crimson Tide...

Started by Porkahontas, November 30, 2006, 04:38:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkahontas

beachhawg

No, No, No.  Next step is a turn down from one more person, then the Houston Nutt Show will be aired from Tusaloosa.  (This is my hopes)

wincrimson

Bryant died in 1990?  Gee, I guess you learn something every day.

wincrimson

Why would we have interest in your coach?  Someone please try and explain that to me.

dcrain

Quote from: BBailey on November 30, 2006, 04:40:58 pm
No, No, No.  Next step is a turn down from one more person, then the Houston Nutt Show will be aired from Tusaloosa.  (This is my hopes)

Coach Rodriguez, you would not like Alabama. They will fire you in 3-4 years. Take the pay hike and stay at W Va.

Sincerely,

A friend  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hong Kong Sooey

If we win Saturday, Nutt to Bama becomes reality.  If we lose, Nutt to NC State looks like a pretty good possibility.  One or both are going to throw some nice $$ figures at him.  I don't think he will turn it down.

dcrain

Quote from: wincrimson on November 30, 2006, 04:43:06 pm
Why would we have interest in your coach?  Someone please try and explain that to me.

He can beat Auburn.

Porkahontas

Quote from: wincrimson on November 30, 2006, 04:42:10 pm

I have no idea, nor do I care.

I was honestly just too lazy to look it up.

dcrain

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 04:43:20 pm
If we win Saturday, Nutt to Bama becomes reality.  If we lose, Nutt to NC State looks like a pretty good possibility.  One or both are going to throw some nice $$ figures at him.  I don't think he will turn it down.

Do not get our hopes up too high.  ;D

Hong Kong Sooey

Because he beats Auburn more than anyone ya'll have hired in a decade?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

No one else wants to take the job...

HatfieldHog

Why, Because you want to do us a favor and get him out of Arkansas.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hogdomer

Quote from: SnoopHawg on November 30, 2006, 04:42:17 pm
Finebomb(baum) just talking about Petrino, Rodriguez, and Wake and Navy coach, no mention of HDN, no wonder they have so much trouble and no interest in our coach, these people are already nuts.

It wasn't just Finebaum.  Cecil Hurt, apparently a respected journalist and insider, mentioned the teams you said, and then said the two main candidates after Spurrier are Saban and Rich Rodriguez.

SiriusHog™

dude you guys hired MIKE SHULA.... you guys might as well interview Ray Charles and Helen Keller for the position..

jagoodwin1953

will we can throw in some money an free trip  ;D

beachhawg

Quote from: dcrain on November 30, 2006, 04:44:34 pm

Do not get our hopes up too high.  ;D

I will be willing to bet that as we speak HDN's name is being talked about by the powers at certain universities as we read this.  Well, I can tell you this much, Sexton IS working on a Nutt scenario.

wincrimson

Quote from: Porkahontas on November 30, 2006, 04:44:26 pm

Too lazy to look it up, but energetic enough to create a tombstone.  How does that pop tart and Natty light dinner that your currently enjoying taste?

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 04:44:53 pm

Does he?  He's 5-4.  Stallings was 5-2.

hoghearted

Saban?! Does anyone really think he'd leave the NFL for 'Bama?!
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 30, 2006, 04:46:40 pm
Finebomb(baum) just talking about Petrino, Rodriguez, and Wake and Navy coach, no mention of HDN, no wonder they have so much trouble and no interest in our coach, these people are already nuts.

It wasn't just Finebaum.  Cecil Hurt, apparently a respected journalist and insider, mentioned the teams you said, and then said the two main candidates after Spurrier are Saban and Rich Rodriguez.
Saban is a pipe dream.  Rodriguez is happy where he is.  This is a wish list, not candidates.

wincrimson

Quote from: hoghearted on November 30, 2006, 04:48:41 pm
Saban?! Does anyone really think he'd leave the NFL for 'Bama?!

Not I.

Saban left Baton Rouge for a reason.  Ca$h and not having to recruit.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: wincrimson on November 30, 2006, 04:48:30 pm

Too lazy to look it up, but energetic enough to create a tombstone.  How does that pop tart and Natty light dinner that your currently enjoying taste?

Sorry, didn't he retire in '96?  If not, I apologize.  But he has still beat Auburn more than Alabama has in a long time...

And the second is certainly true.

wincrimson

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 04:51:03 pm

Sorry, didn't he retire in '96?  If not, I apologize.  But he has still beat Auburn more than Alabama has in a long time...

And the second is certainly true.

He did retire in '96.  And I just re-read your statement and you said "hired."

I shall receive a mulligan. 

arcowboy

Thought Wincrimson guaranteed on another thread that Sprurrier was a sure deal. Hey I can tell you none of us know who is going where.  These coaches don't even know themselves what they want.  It is not like it was when Bear and Frank were coaching.  I think somehow someway they are going to have to put a ceiling on salaries. This is getting plum rediculace.  There is no loyalty from coaches except to the ones who have the money. I say I respect Spurrier alot more now that he has shown money doesn't always buy him. It isn't so much about the coaches either it is these greedy agents.  They make their living off of new contracts so they are going to keep their clients looking at another job and more money then they make more.  At 6% or whatever they get a coach getting $5,000,000 and they get a commission of $300000 and on and on it goes.   We are the fools.

dcrain

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 04:49:12 pm

Saban is a pipe dream.  Rodriguez is happy where he is.  This is a wish list, not candidates.

If money is the only issue, I would expect W Va to match any offers. The lure of playing in the SEC would be my only concern regarding Rodriguez.

wincrimson

Quote from: arcowboy on November 30, 2006, 04:52:52 pm
Thought Wincrimson guaranteed on another thread that Sprurrier was a sure deal. Hey I can tell you none of us know who is going where.  These coaches don't even know themselves what they want.  It is not like it was when Bear and Frank were coaching.  I think somehow someway they are going to have to put a ceiling on salaries. This is getting plum rediculace.  There is no loyalty from coaches except to the ones who have the money. I say I respect Spurrier alot more now that he has shown money doesn't always buy him. It isn't so much about the coaches either it is these greedy agents.  They make their living off of new contracts so they are going to keep their clients looking at another job and more money then they make more.  At 6% or whatever they get a coach getting $5,000,000 and they get a commission of $300000 and on and on it goes.   We are the fools.

No.

WC: I tend to think you're right.

WC: Bama and Spurrier will talk today... face-to-face.

My gut tells me that his ego won't allow him to come.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: dcrain on November 30, 2006, 04:52:59 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 04:49:12 pm

If money is the only issue, I would expect W Va to match any offers. The lure of playing in the SEC would be my only concern regarding Rodriguez.
Well, if Bama makes a similar offer to what was reported for Spurrier WVU won't match it.  But I don't see that happening.  RR is NOT SS.  Not even close. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: wincrimson on November 30, 2006, 04:57:13 pm
Quote from: arcowboy on November 30, 2006, 04:52:52 pm
Thought Wincrimson guaranteed on another thread that Sprurrier was a sure deal. Hey I can tell you none of us know who is going where.  These coaches don't even know themselves what they want.  It is not like it was when Bear and Frank were coaching.  I think somehow someway they are going to have to put a ceiling on salaries. This is getting plum rediculace.  There is no loyalty from coaches except to the ones who have the money. I say I respect Spurrier alot more now that he has shown money doesn't always buy him. It isn't so much about the coaches either it is these greedy agents.  They make their living off of new contracts so they are going to keep their clients looking at another job and more money then they make more.  At 6% or whatever they get a coach getting $5,000,000 and they get a commission of $300000 and on and on it goes.   We are the fools.

No.

WC: I tend to think you're right.

WC: Bama and Spurrier will talk today... face-to-face.

My gut tells me that his ego won't allow him to come.
That is correct.  The first post you quote was mine. 

As an aside, you can hit quote in the thread that came from.  Then copy everything in the reply box and export the entire quote to another thread.  Or, you can copy the url and paste it here, linking to the thread you want to draw attention to.

Porkahontas

It's enjoyable enough that you guys are throwing upwards of three million a year at people just to get them to listen to you guys long enough to turn you down.

The Tombstone took about 15 seconds to throw together. I honestly don't give a crap enough about your coaching search to waste much more time than that.

Good luck going after Saban Petrino Rodriguez Spurrier whoever is desperate enough to take that job.

bullheaded

This may be the only way we see a sophisticated passing game this weekend. If so we see mm and know hdn wants to go to bama.

Oklahawg

Wincrimson, Nutt has done better vs. Auburn in his 9 years than any other SEC school, I think. He fits the power running game mold Bama loves. He will get a chance to finally fix all the stuff he now knows he screwed up at UA, but can't fix until he leaves (ie, you make your bed, then you lie in it). He will be major-leagued pissed off at Ark for being run oft (shameless "O, Brother!" reference). Let's see: Ark + Aubbie = 2 wins you've not gotten regularly under Shula.

I apologize, but its a step up from what you've had since Stallings. Yes, you'd like better. So would UA. The good news here is that both of us won't be stuck with him!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Buff

November 30, 2006, 06:51:49 pm #29 Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:53:42 pm by Buffinator: Reloaded
Paul "Bear" Bryant

September 11, 1913 - January 26, 1983

cool fact:  If not for the damn Japs bombing Pearl Harbor, Bear would have coached at Arkansas. 

dana caldwell

why are u on a razorbacks fan message board, explain that to me?

seriously. do u folks in alabama not know how to monitor breaking news or have u been banned from all the 'bama sites?

or are u a closet hog?!

dana caldwell

i think u may well be right, especially if the rodriguez situation cannot be repaired. and i don't think it can.

of course, if rodriguez goes to bama, nutt is tailor-made for WV.

that said, 'bama looks better by the minute.

again, these are and will continue to be very fluid situations (both bama and nutt deals).

Golfer

Quote from: dana caldwell on November 30, 2006, 07:10:30 pm

i think u may well be right, especially if the rodriguez situation cannot be repaired. and i don't think it can.

again, these are and will continue to be very fluid situations (both bama and nutt deals).

I am curious if you still stick to your prediction of last night that something will 'happen' Saturday night after the game?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Golfer on November 30, 2006, 07:25:23 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on November 30, 2006, 07:10:30 pm

I am curious if you still stick to your prediction of last night that something will 'happen' Saturday night after the game?
I'm curious if you ever post without trying to start shiite.  It looks like you stalk Dana in an attempt to "get something on him".  Are you his ex-wife?

VoR

Quote from: SnoopHawg on November 30, 2006, 07:24:05 pm
I can't see Rodriguez leaving WV, Saban is just plain foolishness, The Wake Forest coach might be a candidate, Tide too big for the Navy coach, boosters wouldn't go for that unless he knocks 'em dead in an interview, but still doubtful, that makes HdN look better and better all the time, evidently, something has already gone on with him and Mal Moore, but got vetoed by some behind the sceners, with the recent rash of no's they've recieved from the big name boys, it's likely to come back full circle to... that's right.. HDN!  And in all fairness, don't bet against him doing well at Bama, he's actually a natural for that job in a lot of ways, and I bet he's learned from some of the mistakes he's made here, in the end, change would be good for both him and the Razorbacks, he's likely to never be comfortable with Gus, who is probably the best coach on the staff right now, although there are several others who are very, very good.  A win-win situation for all parties involved.

I agree, in most ways if HDN leaves I hope it's not Bama, I think wherever he goes, most of us will be saying "Why couldn't he have been like that when he was here".
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hoginator

Try 10-2 and playing in the SEC Championship game? He has a winning record against you? He can beat Auburn? He's always dreamed of riding an elephant?
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Mark Martin Fan

If Alabama can't get anyone better than Nutt, why do some think we will?  Please help me understand...I really don't see how we can get someone that is so much better than what Alabama can get.  I have asked before for people to name possible replacements for Nutt and the only name I hear is the coach at Tulsa and Gus....is that the best we can do? 

I'm not saying that I think Nutt is the best coach in the SEC...I just wonder if we will have the best coach in the SEC if Nutt leaves.  Please help impart some wisdom and understanding in this walk-on's thought process.

Thanks!!!!
Hog Fan for Life!!!!

Oklahawg

I've posted this elsewhere, so I apologize if I'm too cryptic.

HDN has taken UA further than any coach since Holtz. And, he's done it against substantially better competition. He's not (yet) taken us to the elite (BCS) and may well have maxed out his capabilities here at UA.

HDN will be a better coach elsewhere than at UA. He will finally get to fix some of the mistakes that are a permanent part of his UA experience.

EVERY school's fanbase will want coaches with greater credentials than the job opening requires. Everyone wants the steak-and-lobster guys, but many have to settle for Happy Meals. Bama is a part of the same tier as Arkansas, at this point. Watch HDN leave: we'll see folks post about Rodriquez or Petrino or Davis or Spurrier. Folly.

Folks at Bama and Arkansas need to look for Leavitt and Kraggthorpe types. Guys who are at lesser programs who have shown the ability to structurally fix things and maybe (just maybe) lead the school to the next level. Or, at the least, maintain the status created by Shula and Nutt until a suitable coach comes along. Uh-hum, Gus.

Sometimes, change is a good thing. Just for the sake of change. I suspect that a lot of UA fans would not be pleased to suddenly have to face HDN every year once he has the resources of (half of) the state of Alabama at his disposal.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra