Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whitten Family Missouri Men's Basketball Head Coach Dennis Gates era

Started by jbcarol, March 19, 2022, 12:49:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

jbcarol

Dave Matter
@Dave_Matter
Gates called it "an executive decision" not to play Kobe Brown, made the call after pregame shooting, about 15 minutes before the announcement.
8:50 PM · Jan 21, 2023
·
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
Jan 29
"To go somewhere, you've got to figure out where the program has been."
My story from Saturday ➡️ Mizzou basketball revels in nostalgia, clobbers No. 12 Iowa State in SEC/Big 12 Challenge https://stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-basketball-revels-in-nostalgia-clobbers-no-12-iowa-state-in-sec-big-12-challenge/article_4bd68576-b00d-5e4d-9465-dfb7383c71cc.html via @stltoday

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
1h
Mizzou looks to snap an 8-game losing streak to LSU tonight. (MU hasn't beaten LSU since Kim Anderson's first SEC victory!)

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
"Analytically, I think everyone across the country is trying to still figure out the NET ranking."

From today's P-D: With NET ranking spots at stake, Mizzou basketball begins 'dog days' of February https://stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/with-net-ranking-spots-at-stake-mizzou-basketball-begins-dog-days-of-february/article_44da93ce-f750-5fd5-abba-aa8c079bddb7.html via @stltoday

Quote"The only ranking that matters is the one after 'One Shining Moment' is played on national television — and it comes out April 4," he said Tuesday, referring to the rankings released the day after the national champion is crowned at the Final Four in Houston. "That's the only ranking that we focus on."

jbcarol

Dennis Gates@coachdgates
·

Today we honor @MizzouHoops big man Mr. Greg Cavener. He recorded the only triple-double in the 1st century of Mizzou Basketball & won Big 8 titles in 1982 & 1983. He graduated with 894 rebounds (6th all-time), 322 assists (11th), 69 blocks (9th), & 54.8 FG% (6th). #TigerTuesday

jbcarol

Naismith Coach of the Year late season watch list features 2 SEC coaches

QuoteGates commented on the honor on Friday.

"Maybe before the season nobody knew who I was. That's OK. But they've opened their arms and hugged me and hugged my family and welcomed us."

jbcarol

Dennis Gates explains why Mizzou's loss to Texas A&M was 'an outlying game'

QuoteGates calls Saturday vs Texas A&M "the weirdest game" because Mizzou forced so many turnovers (21) but didn't convert them into points. Called it "an outlying game."

Tigers host Mississippi State on Tuesday night in Columbia. They lost to the Bulldogs earlier this month.

jbcarol

Dennis Gates@coachdgates

·
5h
Today we celebrate Chicagoan Mr. Byron Irvin. Byron averaged 12.9 PPG in his 1st season in COMO & led @MizzouHoops to victories over #10 Iowa State & #7 UNLV. The following season, Irvin averaged 19.7 PPG, beat #1 Oklahoma, & was named All-Big 8. #MIZ #TigerTuesday

jbcarol

Dave Matter
@Dave_Matter
·
1h
Still buried deep in chat questions, but on a Zoom with reporters, Dennis Gates said he anticipates all his players to be back before the end of the season, specifically both Isiaih Mosley and Ronnie DeGray

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
18h
"God put Coach Gates in Tre's life, and I could not be more happy."

New story - Ahead of Saturday's Georgia homecoming, Tre Gomillion, Mizzou basketball's 'glue guy,' treasures his latest ride with Dennis Gates https://stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tre-gomillion-mizzou-basketballs-glue-guy-treasures-his-latest-ride-with-dennis-gates/article_524927a3-650d-5368-b85a-0d10d0829498.html via @stltoday

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 21, 2023, 07:41:59 pmDennis Gates@coachdgates

·
5h
Today we celebrate Chicagoan Mr. Byron Irvin. Byron averaged 12.9 PPG in his 1st season in COMO & led @MizzouHoops to victories over #10 Iowa State & #7 UNLV. The following season, Irvin averaged 19.7 PPG, beat #1 Oklahoma, & was named All-Big 8. #MIZ #TigerTuesday

I never heard the reason why he transferred from us to them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Adam Spencer
@AdamSpencer4
·
6h
What an incredible job Dennis Gates has done with Mizzou.

23 wins. 11 SEC wins.

First double-bye since joining the SEC.

Solidly in the NCAA Tournament field.

Kobe Brown has turned into a superstar.

Great hire by Mizzou.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein
·
1h
Missouri's Dennis Gates has received a contract extension through the 2028-29 season, per release. Gates' salary will be $4 million dollars next season.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
3h
Things you didn't think you'd tweet: Missouri is in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament.

The Tigers' decision to get Dennis Gates from Cleveland State is looking like one of last spring's best hires.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 10, 2023, 08:33:41 pmJon Rothstein@JonRothstein
·
1h
Missouri's Dennis Gates has received a contract extension through the 2028-29 season, per release. Gates' salary will be $4 million dollars next season.

On3@On3sports
·
Missouri basketball agreed to an extension with Dennis Gates which will pay $4 million annually through 2028-29, per @Dave_Matter.

His buyout also jumps to $25.5 million this year.

More: https://on3.com/college/missouri-tigers/news/missouri-signs-dennis-gates-contract-extension-raise-to-4-million-annually

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
15h
"Our guys, as a staff, we're going to figure out who Utah State is."

Mizzou basketball cherishes March Madness bid yet shifts focus to Utah State

Dennis Gates earned a No. 7 seed in the NCAA Tournament and will play 10 seed Utah State on Thursday in Sacramento
9:21 PM · Mar 12, 2023

jbcarol

Dennis Gates earns bonus for Tigers' NCAA Tournament win
Crissy Froyd | 31 minutes ago

QuoteHis 25th victory of the season meant an extra $25,000 bonus added to his contract, plus another $25,000 if Mizzou can get another when on Saturday to advance (sic) and make it to the Sweet 16.

Tigers prepare to take on the Princeton Tigers on Saturday. Start time for the matchup has not yet been announced.

jbcarol

Dave Matter@Dave_Matter
·
5m
That's a wrap on another Mizzou basketball season. Updated story on tonight's game at @stltoday in the AM.  Fun team to cover. Thanks for following along. Much more to come.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops

Missouri's Dennis Gates is hiring former Valparaiso head coach Matt Lottich as special assistant to the head coach, source told @stadium
6:36 PM · Jun 5, 2023

jbcarol

Whitten Family Men's Basketball Head Coach Dennis Gates explains benefit Mizzou can take from early-season losses
Ethan Stone | 4 minutes ago

QuoteThe last undefeated national champion in college basketball was Indiana in 1976. In other words, you're not going to find an undefeated season in college basketball these days.

Missouri basketball suffered its first loss of the season Friday against Memphis, 70-55. Tigers shot a dreadful 32%. (Mizzou did not shoot well either and committed 12 turnovers.)

Yet it's still early. Mizzou, especially after all it lost from last season, is not expected to be a finished product...

"It's an emotional game and the emotions can get the best of you don't handle them the right way."

Mizzou Tigers started 10-0 last year, but Gates says this year's non-conference slate is much more difficult.

jbcarol

Dennis Gates details what sparked comeback vs. Minnesota

Andrew Peters | 10 minutes ago

QuoteMissouri found itself down double-digits to Minnesota late in the second half on Thursday night.

It started with the Caleb Grill ejection. The senior took a hit as he fired off a 3-pointer, and he was vocal after he didn't receive the foul call he was looking for. It led to a pair of technicals and an ejection:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Missouri's Caleb Grill gets tossed.

Whitten Family Missouri Men's Basketball Head Coach Dennis Gates believes that ejection fired up the team and led to the comeback.

"Caleb Grill gave us a spark by being ejected. I truly believe that," Gates said after the game. "Without that, we lose the game. I tremendously mean that. Without that, we don't get galvanized how that moment was able to define us. I credit Caleb Grill, the passion that he plays with. An unbelievable toughness for making that play, and that was to inspire his team."

The Tigers also got a spark from someone off the bench. Curt Lewis had just 7 minutes on the night, but he had a team-high +16 during that time.

"Curt Lewis galvanized our team," Gates said. "He's plus 16 when he was in the game, more than any player on our roster. He was plus 16. I just asked him to stay prepared, stay ready, you never know when your number's gonna be called."

Curt Lewis +16

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops

Missouri was down 59-39 at Minnesota with 11:25 left.

The Tigers went on a 31-9 run and pulled out the win on a Sean East II drive with 9.9 seconds left.

Brutal, brutal loss for the Gophers.
11:13 PM · Nov 16, 2023
·

jbcarol

Some fans torch Mizzou, Dennis Gates following 'embarrassing' loss to previously winless Jackson State

Ethan Stone | 1 hour ago

QuoteTigers just lost 73-72 to Jackson State, which entered Sunday night's clash with an 0-5 record on the season.

Mizzou fans, to put it simply, were not happy postgame:

Will Warren
@statsbywill
It is going to be very, very hard for any SEC group to top the nastiness of the loss Mizzou just took to this Jackson State team

Trilly Donovan
@trillydonovan
·
Follow
Jackson State was 0-5 with an average margin of defeat of 19.8 points.

Just went into CoMo and beat Mizzou.

Love this sport.

Barstool Mizzou
@BarstoolMizzou
·
Follow
I love Dennis Gates. And anybody that turns on him after tonight ain't a true fan.

But with that being said, whiffing on big names in the portal and then losing to 0-5 Jackson State on your home court is unacceptable. He's gotta answer for this one.

jbcarol

Missouri guard Caleb Grill to miss 5-7 weeks due to wrist injury, surgery

By Nick Schultz

QuoteMissouri guard Caleb Grill will miss five to seven weeks with a wrist injury, the program announced Saturday. He suffered the injury against Wichita State on Sunday and had to undergo surgery.

Grill has appeared in all nine games so far this year, including five starts, and ranks fourth on the Mizzou roster with 8.4 points per game.

"Unfortunately, Caleb suffered an injury to his wrist on his non-shooting hand Sunday after a hard fall," Gates said in a statement announcing Grill's injury. "I'm happy to report that he had a successful surgery earlier this week and is on track for a 5-7 week recovery with a chance of returning sooner. As a key piece of our team this season, Caleb will certainly be missed but we look forward to him making a full recovery and contributing to our success during the second half of the season."

Grill is in his first season with Missouri after starting his career at Iowa State and UNLV. He played his freshman year with Iowa State before transferring to UNLV as a sophomore. However, when head coach T.J. Otzelberger left for the Cyclones, Grill returned to Ames for two more seasons.

Last year, Iowa State announced Grill was no longer with the program after a "failure to meet the program's expectations" in early March.

"Dennis Gates is a tremendous leader and with the staff, support staff and players he has built around him has made it an elite program," Grill told On3's Joe Tipton.

Missouri is off to a 7-3 start

jbcarol

Bill Self praises Dennis Gates for doing 'fantastic' job at Missouri

By Steve Samra

QuoteSelf decided to heap some praise on Missouri's Dennis Gates following the Jayhawks' 73-64 over the Tigers over the weekend.

"Coaches can't comment really on other coaches unless they're there, and they can watch, but from the outside looking in? Oh yeah, he's doing a fantastic job," Self said, following Kansas' victory over the weekend. "Last year when we played them at their place, they tried to take us out by pressing. This year they pressured and didn't press, which was a big difference. Last year, when you have shooters, you make the extra pass. ... We shot it unbelievably well last year over there. This year, our team is different, so the pressure was probably more effective than pressing, because it didn't allow us to get two-on-ones, three-on-twos and things like that. So I think that was a very good adjustment.

"He's a terrific coach. The play he ran out of the timeout to get the backdoor, that was a great play. I mean, they've done a great job in a short amount of time, and they're fast. We can't simulate that in practice. It certainly bothered us. Their hands bothered us.

"I don't even care about 3-0, I don't care about what happened last year and the year before," Self added. "I care about what's gonna happen from this point forward with our team and I'm not gonna think about Missouri again unless we have an opportunity to play them in the postseason until next year.

"But I am happy that we've won, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we've won. But that's not something that I'm gonna hang my hat on leaving out of here thinking we're 3-0. You know what, we're 9-1, we play at Indiana, we gotta get better for Indiana," Self stated.

Nevertheless, a win is a win, and Bill Self and Kansas can enjoy bragging rights over Missouri for at least another season...

jbcarol

Dennis Gates admits he was not happy with Aidan Shaw's rebounding vs. Kansas

BY Sam GillenH2O

QuoteMissouri F Aidan Shaw made some impact during the Tigers' nine-point loss at Kansas this past weekend. However, when it comes to his lack of rebounding against the Jayhawks, Dennis Gates was none too pleased with the sophomore.

No Time to Mince Words
"Not enough rebounds. He didn't give me enough rebounds," said Gates.

"He had two offensive rebounds and one defensive. That's not acceptable," Gates said. "In 22 minutes, three rebounds? That's one rebound every seven minutes. He needs to rebound one every three. So it's not excellent. I'm not happy with that performance."

Over Missouri's first nine games, Shaw played 16.7 minutes per game. He averaged 4.3 rebounds per game in that time. When you add it up, that's 39 total rebounds in 150 minutes for an outcome of one board every 3.8 minutes which, based on Gates' assessment, is right around where Shaw should be

Shaw has played well in his second season in CoMo. In 17 minutes a game in Mizzou's 10 outings, he has averaged 3.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks a game while shooting 68.2% from the field.

In the loss inside Allen Fieldhouse, Shaw, although not rebounding at Gates' designated rate...

jbcarol

Dennis Gates evaluates where Missouri has grown this season

by:
Dan Morrison

QuoteMissouri Tigers hired head coach Dennis Gates to run the basketball program in 2022. In his first season, the Tigers went to the NCAA Tournament before starting out slower during the 2023-24 season.

Now into SEC play for his second season at Missouri, Gates shared how he feels the program has grown and what matters when it comes to program building.

"I think, ultimately, when it comes down to a head coach we've been in stages of building a program," Dennis Gates said. "And, ultimately, when it comes down to it, you have to instill the spirit or even the identity of your team."

Prior to coming to Missouri, Dennis Gates was the head coach at Cleveland State. He spent three seasons there, going 50-40 with an NIT and NCAA Tournament appearance (and a heap of misplaced yet built up NCAA Compliance invective).

mizzouman

Man, this year has been a struggle, but we all knew this going into the season.  Help is coming but still 2 years away from where Gates' teams need to perform at a much, much higher level.

TheGrove68

Yes it was expected to be a hard season and Grill going down has hurt as well. But in reality we don't have a bonafide player like Kobe Brown to drive this team to victory. So while competitive at times we are just not salty enough to be real good.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

jbcarol

Dennis Gates, Eric Musselman, Bill Self, Jerome Tang team to beat cancer with exclusive Charlie Hustle T-shirts

by:
Jeremy Crabtree

QuoteWhile they may be rivals on the basketball court, Arkansas' Eric Musselman, Kansas' coach Bill Self, K-State's Jerome Tang and Mizzou's Dennis Gates are teammates in the battle against cancer.

The four coaches teamed with Charlie Hustle for the Coaches vs. Cancer Collection. As part of the partnership, the coaches waived their personal licensing fee and are donating 25% of the proceeds back to Coaches vs Cancer –

"Coaches vs Cancer is something that has been very important to my wife and I during our time here at Arkansas," Musselman told On3. "We are excited to partner with Charlie Hustle to help raise funds for this amazing cause."

Musselman and his wife, Danyelle Musselman, have been very vocal about their family's battle against cancer over the years. Musselman's mother-in-law, Theresa Cruz, has been in remission for more than 16 years. Both Musselman and his wife have worked hard on raising funds for the American Cancer Society through the Suits and Sneakers event that's expanded to a nationwide initiative.

Coaches helped design Charlie Hustle shirts
Each coach was involved in the design process. Plus, this is the first-ever custom shirt for Tang and Gates.

Gates' shirt features the "Golden Gates" tagline and Musselman's has the "Hop on the Muss Buss" slogan.

jbcarol

Dennis Gates accepts blame for Arkansas loss, apologizes to Missouri fans

by:
Sam Gillenwater

QuoteWith their loss to Arkansas on Wednesday, Missouri fell to 8-13 overall and 0-8 in the SEC as the team that's currently in last place in the league. That's why, after another defeat, Dennis Gates took responsibility

"We came out flat to begin the game," said Gates. "I take full responsibility as a head coach. We cannot come out that flat.

"Regardless of what I have to do as the leader of this team? I have to do it.

"A home game in front of a great crowd? I thank our crowd for coming out," Gates said. "I definitely apologize for our performance, especially in that first 10 minutes of the game.

"We had great practices. I thought our guys gave their effort," explained Gates. "The details of our scouting report? Our guys followed.

"Credit Arkansas. They scored, I think, 56 total points in the paint, 30 in the first half. 19 field goals," Gates said. "Defensively? You can't win games that way.

"I'll look at the film and figure out what else I need to do to as a head coach," said Gates.

jbcarol

Dennis Gates explains what led to big swing in favor of Ole Miss
by:
Dan Morrison

QuoteMissouri Tigers dropped a game against Ole Miss on Saturday that they led at the half. It was the 12th loss in a row for Missouri and a game that head coach Dennis Gates wishes his team could have pulled out:

"They scored when the clock was stopped on the free throw line," Dennis Gates said.

Ole Miss and Missouri both shot 30 free throws. However, as Gates explained, the timing of their free throws was vital.

"In a half, 20 minutes of play, they shot 30 of them. So, that's the difference. 30 free throws in 20 minutes. I mean, that's a free throw every 40 seconds. You can't defeat that. So, I credit them for getting to the foul line."

jbcarol

Gates explains Tamar Bates' shot attempts going down
by:
Matt Connolly

QuoteMissouri junior Bates had been one of the go-to scorers for the Tigers in recent weeks entering Saturday's game at Arkansas. However, that changed against the Razorbacks as Bates attempted only six shots.

"Well, I've seen defenses focus on him," Dennis Gates said. "He's been one of the hottest players in our conference. He's still gotten double digits, but at that point, you need that fourth guy to step up, and Noah Carter wasn't able to do that tonight. He was 0-for-4 from the 3 and missed some easy baskets in the paint."

Tamar Bates scored 11 points against the Razorbacks, despite only making 2 of his 6

jbcarol

Power Mizzou
@PowerMizzoucom
Dennis Gates starts his postgame press conference recognizing the #Mizzou crowd for their consistency. "The best thing you can give young people is support."
11:11 PM · Mar 2, 2024
·

Chris Beard on #Mizzou: "I've watched every game they've played and there is zero quit in that team." Calls Sean East one of the best players in college basketball.
11:01 PM · Mar 2, 2024
·

jbcarol

Tales from Mizzou Arena on the last night of a lost season

Gabe DeArmond •

QuoteMissouri played its final home game of the basketball season on Tuesday night. It was a loss, the same as the previous eight had been. The victor this time was Auburn, 101-74. Missouri finished the season 6-11 at home. That ties the 2016-17 for the fewest home wins since the Tigers moved to Mizzou Arena. In fact, the last time the Tigers won fewer than a half dozen on their home court was in 1967-68 when they were still playing in Brewer Fieldhouse.

There were 10,041 brave sounds in the new black seats to watch this one. It was the second-smallest crowd of the conference season to watch the Tigers play. But perhaps the most remarkable thing about this nightmare campaign that's now just 40 minutes away from the first winless conference season at Missouri in 116 years is that the fans for the most part have still been showing up.

jbcarol

Jamie Shaw
@JamieShaw5
The Top 10 point guards in the 2025 On3 150 ranking update 🎯

The Full List >> https://on3.com/db/rankings/player/basketball/2025/?position=pg

jbcarol

@JonRothstein
Source: Duquesne's Dru Joyce will hire Missouri's Chase Goldstein as an assistant coach.

Goldstein was in the DOBO role last season for the Tigers.
2:33 PM · May 6, 2024
·