Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slient Commits

Started by bbrown25, December 06, 2018, 02:09:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UnknownNobody

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 10, 2018, 08:50:04 am
The position that has most tormented UA over the years has been the slot. Either the TE who can run or the tall WR who steps inside. Given our inability to clear out the DB to run the selected route I am all about big, physical WR. Alabama and LSU have won a lot of games with that type of WR.

Henry will be in the slot often next season.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 10, 2018, 08:50:04 am
The position that has most tormented UA over the years has been the slot. Either the TE who can run or the tall WR who steps inside. Given our inability to clear out the DB to run the selected route I am all about big, physical WR. Alabama and LSU have won a lot of games with that type of WR.

Jesus folks.!? What in the hell makes any of you think that it's an either or for me or for Morris for that fact? The guy has more criteria than just height.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

UnknownNobody

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 10, 2018, 08:55:53 am
Jesus folks.!? What in the hell makes any of you think that it's an either or for me or for Morris for that fact? The guy has more criteria than just height.

When asked about the lack of a TE at SMU Morris said they used Trey Quin in that role as far as the passing game and brought in another RB to block.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 10, 2018, 08:47:49 am
How many of them had more productive years than Wes Welker? Oh, and you're saying that Morris didn't recruit , Jackson, Woods or Nash..?
I said that we HAD a lack of Big guy's, and he's targeted them. You can't and don't know what this coaches preferences are until you hear it from his lips. I did, and that's why I made my previous statement...

I'm going to answer in sentences in the order you asked them...

None but that doesn't mean the slot is exclusive to small guys.

What? Yes Morris recruited these bigger bodies guys which proves what I've been saying.

The fact that Morris's own lips are where anyone can hear him say he wants big bodied receivers pretty much seals the deal on his preferences.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 10, 2018, 08:55:53 am

Switch to decaf my man. I'm sure that if a 5* 5'10" freak of nature wanted to play here Morris wouldn't turn him down but it does seem like if Morris had his rather's he'd have Sutton types over Quinn types.

onebadrubi

Something to consider as well, the big tall guys don't usually want/like/succeed on special teams.  You need that smaller, shifty, quick guy for PR and KO's. 

5'10" - 6'1" is usually a inside guy.  We have a few of these guys on the roster so may not have as much of a need to chase one right now, like we need a 50/50 possession go up and get it receiver along with just some sheer talent improvement at the WR position. 

Am I dreaming that we got the PA guy that has been alongside Henry all season that is suppose to be extremely quick?  Seems like he fills the void in this argument?  White maybe? 

JackJohnson

Quote from: navyhog24 on December 10, 2018, 08:09:53 am
Apparently, Gregory Brooks visited MSU this weekend and says he is solid to MSU now. So, there goes one of the supposed "slient commits".

That hurts.  If we don't get him or catalon the secondary recruiting will be lacking.  We need a complete influx of speed and talent and this would put a major damper on it.  Can't blame him for choosing a young in his prime Shoop over Chavos.  Hell of a hire by rookie coach Moorhead

ricepig

Quote from: navyhog24 on December 10, 2018, 08:09:53 am
Apparently, Gregory Brooks visited MSU this weekend and says he is solid to MSU now. So, there goes one of the supposed "slient commits".

I'd say wait until December 19th.

JackJohnson

PharmacistHog

We need Brooks and Catalon.  I hope Catalon for sure is one of the silent commits (if they truly exist). 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

King Kong

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 11:02:36 am
That hurts.  If we don't get him or catalon the secondary recruiting will be lacking.  We need a complete influx of speed and talent and this would put a major damper on it.  Can't blame him for choosing a young in his prime Shoop over Chavos.  Hell of a hire by rookie coach Moorhead

Well, just a season ago Shoop was a nobody again after a terrible performance at UT. Then he goes to an already established defense and he is hot stuff again.

Amazing what players can do for a reputation

Hopeful Hog

December 10, 2018, 12:17:28 pm #61 Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:12:19 pm by Hopeful Hog
Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 11:02:36 am

But he isn't really all that fast. Brooks 247 page says his verified speed is 4.55 which is pretty meh for someone who's 5'10" 170s. As far as corners or receivers go 4.3s=very fast, 4.4s=fast, 4.5s=meh/average, 4.6s=safety is your future.

JackJohnson

Quote from: King Kong on December 10, 2018, 12:15:22 pm
Well, just a season ago Shoop was a nobody again after a terrible performance at UT. Then he goes to an already established defense and he is hot stuff again.

Amazing what players can do for a reputation

He was fantastic at Vandy, Penn St and now MSU.  One year at the dumpster fire at UT(I have NO idea what he was thinking) doesn't downgrade his abilities

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 10, 2018, 12:17:28 pm
But he isn't really all that fast. Brooks 247 page says his verified speed is 4.55 which is pretty meh for someone who's 5'10" 170s. As far as corners or receivers go 4.3s=very fast, 4.4s=fast, 4.5s=meh, 4.6s=safety is your future.

Compare that to what we will be playing in place of him

Wildhog

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 10, 2018, 12:17:28 pm
But he isn't really all that fast. Brooks 247 page says his verified speed is 4.55 which is pretty meh for someone who's 5'10" 170s. As far as corners or receivers go 4.3s=very fast, 4.4s=fast, 4.5s=meh, 4.6s=safety is your future.

Is it a legit 4.55?  Mike Hughes, a first round CB in this year's draft, ran a 4.53.  Josh Jackson, a second round CB, ran a 4.56.

If the 4.55 is actually legit, it's plenty fast.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on December 10, 2018, 12:26:00 pm
Is it a legit 4.55?  Mike Hughes, a first round CB in this year's draft, ran a 4.53.  Josh Jackson, a second round CB, ran a 4.56.

Yep.
Most high school kids are using the best hand timed by their assistant coach 40 they can.

Not worth putting a whole lot of stock into what recruits are reporting as their 40 times.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 12:23:19 pm
Compare that to what we will be playing in place of him

lol that's a good point.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 10, 2018, 12:26:00 pm

I have no idea if it's legit or what. I'm just going off what his 247 page says, so who knows. Also Josh Jackson is something like 6'1" 200 with very long arms which makes a huge difference in timed speed. Hughes is a good one to bring up though. His 40 time was quite a bit slower than expected and he struggled in his first NFL being placed in the slot because of that and ranking just above below average by PFF before tearing his ACL. It's not unheard of for corners to be in the 4.5 range but it's just another hurdle they have to overcome.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 10, 2018, 12:47:30 pm
I have no idea if it's legit or what. I'm just going off what his 247 page says, so who knows. Also Josh Jackson is something like 6'1" 200 with very long arms which makes a huge difference in timed speed. Hughes is a good one to bring up though. His 40 time was quite a bit slower than expected and he struggled in his first NFL being placed in the slot because of that and ranking just above below average by PFF before tearing his ACL. It's not unheard of for corners to be in the 4.5 range but it's just another hurdle they have to overcome.

But...those guys were in the NFL.  Look at what we have on the roster and who actually offered them AND their production.  Our secondary is made up of a bunch of kids who haven't done anything.  Players like brooks and catalon were wanted by way more teams the. Most on our roster.  We NEED them

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 12:51:58 pm
But...those guys were in the NFL.  Look at what we have on the roster and who actually offered them AND their production.  Our secondary is made up of a bunch of kids who haven't done anything.  Players like brooks and catalon were wanted by way more teams the. Most on our roster.  We NEED them

I'm not saying I don't want them, I'm just saying if the reported time for Brooks jr. is correct I don't consider that to be speed. More average than anything else. At the corner position speed matters more than any other spot on the defense but it's not the end all be all. Ideally you want size or speed or, really, both. Like Shannon Sharpe once said when talking about RBs, you can be big and slow or small and fast but you can't be small and slow. Same applies to the cornerbacks. Just to clarify I'm not saying Brooks jr. is slow but, once again if the report is correct, he's not exactly fast either.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 10, 2018, 01:10:11 pm
I'm not saying I don't want them, I'm just saying if the reported time for Brooks jr. is correct I don't consider that to be speed. More average than anything else. At the corner position speed matters more than any other spot on the defense but it's not the end all be all. Ideally you want size or speed or, really, both. Like Shannon Sharpe once said when talking about RBs, you can be big and slow or small and fast but you can't be small and slow. Same applies to the cornerbacks. Just to clarify I'm not saying Brooks jr. is slow but, once again if the report is correct, he's not exactly fast either.

What do you think NFL corners run?  They don't have top flight speed, they have the fluid hips and coverage ability.  Not saying Brooks is an NFL cornwer, but his offer list blows away what we are going to have to go with for next year, and the next 3 years after that

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 01:14:49 pm
What do you think NFL corners run?  They don't have top flight speed, they have the fluid hips and coverage ability.  Not saying Brooks is an NFL cornwer, but his offer list blows away what we are going to have to go with for next year, and the next 3 years after that

I would say the average NFL corner is probably in the mid 4.4s, but the top ones are big or fast or both.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 10, 2018, 01:28:14 pm
I would say the average NFL corner is probably in the mid 4.4s, but the top ones are big or fast or both.

You are not even close...look it up.  Quick examples include (from recent pro bowl picks); Marcus Peters runs 4.53, AJ Bouye runs 4.55, Casey Hayward 4.57, Aqib Talib 4.49 (a dozen years ago not close now), etc

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 10, 2018, 01:41:36 pm
You are not even close...look it up.  Quick examples include (from recent pro bowl picks); Marcus Peters runs 4.53, AJ Bouye runs 4.55, Casey Hayward 4.57, Aqib Talib 4.49 (a dozen years ago not close now), etc

Bouye and Hayward are good examples for you're arguement, but I'd say exceptions to the rule. Peters gets burnt a lot and is bigger, Talib is also a lot bigger and ran a 4.4 not 4.9, Patrick Peterson is big and fast, Richard Sherman is big, smart, with long arms, Marshon Lattimore is fast, Jalen Ramsey is big and fast, Xavier Rhodes is big, Daruis Slay is fast, and on and on.

GA reddiehog

I've posted this before, but I will ask again.  What players do we have a shot at to be these two silent commits we keep hearing about?  Catalon is the only one I can think of and the posts I see are casting doubt on him.  We have been told in the past we had silent commits that did not turn out but that was a different staff.

presidenthog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on December 10, 2018, 04:00:14 pm
I've posted this before, but I will ask again.  What players do we have a shot at to be these two silent commits we keep hearing about?  Catalon is the only one I can think of and the posts I see are casting doubt on him.  We have been told in the past we had silent commits that did not turn out but that was a different staff.

The thing is this time it was like the arkansas recruiting director who stated we had 2 silent commits. In the past this was always said to be subscription fodder, but a UofA staff member is where this is coming from.

Wildhog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on December 10, 2018, 04:00:14 pm

Always take silent commits with a huge grain of salt.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 10, 2018, 04:05:56 pm
Always take silent commits with a huge grain of salt.

Yeah, I normally would, but the Director of Recruiting said it, so there is some validity to it. Now, silent, not silent, none of it means anything until the LOI is in. Carter was a silent commit for months, each situation is different. The next 9-10 days will be crazy across CFB, it always is.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2018, 04:22:28 pm
Yeah, I normally would, but the Director of Recruiting said it, so there is some validity to it. Now, silent, not silent, none of it means anything until the LOI is in. Carter was a silent commit for months, each situation is different. The next 9-10 days will be crazy across CFB, it always is.

I think we've got a good shot at the "silent commits" too, but until it's public it doesn't mean anything.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 10, 2018, 04:26:05 pm
I think we've got a good shot at the "silent commits" too, but until it's public it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, I think one of them would have me concerned, but the coaches can just go on what someone tells them. We've already found out twice that doesn't mean anything.

isavedjazz

I still feel good about Brooks. He has been stringing State along ever since his commitment. But we won't know until the 19th
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2018, 04:34:58 pm
Yeah, I think one of them would have me concerned, but the coaches can just go on what someone tells them. We've already found out twice that doesn't mean anything.

Yep.
1909/1964/1965/1977