Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLAY TRAVIS: NICK SABAN IS BAD FOR THE SEC

Started by Hog Waller, January 10, 2017, 11:01:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 10, 2017, 02:57:24 pm
the firing deal is part of what is mentioned in the article.  Specifically:  Les and Richt the winning-est coaches in their schools history- still winning at a high level and shown the door.  The thinking is that Saban's dominance had something do do with that.  Winning 10 games a year suddenly wasn't enough if you didn't beat Saban.

The Richt Debate at UGa goes back to before Saban built Bama.  Games like '02 vs Florida where #4 Uga lost to a 5-3 Zook team.  Only loss for UGa that season.  Florida owned him.  He lost his first 3 and was 2-8 in his first 10 Cocktail Parties.  Seasons like 2007 where he impressively finished ranked #2.  But Uga fans looked at a 16-12 loss to unranked South Carolina and 35-14 loss to unranked Tenn as chokes in a season where they could have played for a NC.  Instead they didn't play in the SECCG.   Richt was viewed as a good coach.  Once one they could often count on for 10+ wins and a top 10 finish.  Uga wanted to play for a NC at the least and finally rolled the dice of separating themselves from Richt to go find a coach who can get them there.  Since they last played in a NCG Tenn, AU, Bama, Florida, LSU, FSU, Clemson, GT(yes Georgia Tech) have all won a NC (GT a share).  All but Tenn and GT have played in multiple NC games.  Georgia hasn't since Hershel.  So it isn't just a Saban thing putting pressure on some coaches.  Many of the regional programs have reached a higher ceiling than Uga at least for a season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

What hurt Richt the most was the fact that they were the top team in the east since Meyer left Florida and did good for 2 years after he left. Then his last 3 years they watched Missouri twice and a bad Florida team once and decided they will never see a national championship with him.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hollywood870

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on January 10, 2017, 11:55:00 am
He is 100% correct.  And not just good coaches...good players too.  If Bama wasn't interested in you, why would you go to another SEC team and have very little chance at a conference title?  You'd go somewhere else where you can compete.
The annual recruiting rankings and NFL Draft do not approve this post.

Pork Twain

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 10, 2017, 02:57:24 pm
the firing deal is part of what is mentioned in the article.  Specifically:  Les and Richt the winning-est coaches in their schools history- still winning at a high level and shown the door.  The thinking is that Saban's dominance had something do do with that.  Winning 10 games a year suddenly wasn't enough if you didn't beat Saban. 

Had nothing to do with Sagan and everything to do with winning the games you should.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 10, 2017, 01:01:13 pm
Mark Richt, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, James Franklin, Urban Meyer, and Gary Pinkel have all left in the last 5-6 years. They werent replaced with better coaches. Its not Sabans fault.  The SEC is weaker without them.

Agree with all but Les.

I believe Urban Myer left Florida because his wife was unhappy he was playing around with a coed there.  I think he was out of football 1 year due to health reasons.  I believe that was the lie offered up as to why he left Florida.  Then Ohio State offered and his health improved immediately. 

I think if you were to follow Saban around, he likely out works the other mentioned coaches.  Details folks, that is what makes the biggest difference.  Then he positions himself at the school where football is King, I mean REAL KING.  And starts building.  Richt, football is not that important to him.  Petrino, too much ego and difficulty in his life, Miles, wouldn't average 9 wins per year without a golden location like LSU, Franklin, wouldn't be surprised to see this Guy excel but not at Vandy, Meyer, if he were still at Florida, then Saban would be sharing some of those titles, Pinkel, just another average coach, nothing to see here.

The cold hard truth is that most coaches, both HC and assistants aren't nearly as good as the public thinks and not even half as good as they think they are themselves.  You have maybe 10 head coaches in division 1 that could coach themselves out of a wet paper bag.  The remainder would stumble around in circles until it tore off their oversized heads beating in to things.

In the SEC, there is exactly one real HC, and 3 or 4 that is still too early to be decided on their careers.  So Saban, Myer, Peterson, Bob Stoops, Swinney are in. I think Guys like Gus, Franklin, Mullen, Miles, Chip Kelly maybe, are on the cusp.