Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLAY TRAVIS: NICK SABAN IS BAD FOR THE SEC

Started by Hog Waller, January 10, 2017, 11:01:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Waller

Not a fan of Clay, but is there some truth in his opinion?  I think Bama's success attracts good coaches who want to be apart of possibly the strongest conference, but is Bama's success ultimately hurting the SEC in their ability to keep those good coaches in the conference because they can't keep pace with Saban?

http://smokeroom.com/2017/01/09/clay-travis-nick-saban-is-bad-for-the-sec/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Snouty

By that reasoning Bear Bryant was bad for the SEC because he won so many championships over decades.  The SEC has been respected and feared by other conferences for many, many years.  It always attracts some of the best coaches in the country.  Besides, Nick Saban won't be around forever.

ATLHog

Quote from: Hog Waller on January 10, 2017, 11:01:06 am
Not a fan of Clay, but is there some truth in his opinion?  I think Bama's success attracts good coaches who want to be apart of possibly the strongest conference, but is Bama's success ultimately hurting the SEC in their ability to keep those good coaches in the conference because they can't keep pace with Saban?

http://smokeroom.com/2017/01/09/clay-travis-nick-saban-is-bad-for-the-sec/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

HOGVILLE: BRET BIELEMA IS BAD FOR THE SEC

311Hog

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

He is 100% correct.  And not just good coaches...good players too.  If Bama wasn't interested in you, why would you go to another SEC team and have very little chance at a conference title?  You'd go somewhere else where you can compete.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

code red

Steel sharpens Steel....Clay is full of crap.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

What good coaches have left due to Saban?

UM leave due to Saban?  Perhaps he didn't want to be in same conference.

Otherwise? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

Quote from: code red on January 10, 2017, 11:56:48 am
Steel sharpens Steel....Clay is full of crap.

Bama is steel. Everyone else is bronze and copper.  Steel destroys those.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Snouty on January 10, 2017, 11:50:37 am
By that reasoning Bear Bryant was bad for the SEC because he won so many championships over decades.  The SEC has been respected and feared by other conferences for many, many years.  It always attracts some of the best coaches in the country.  Besides, Nick Saban won't be around forever.

Now, bama is the only school that's respected and feared.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Tusks

Quote from: hawgon on January 10, 2017, 12:08:04 pm

rock paper scissors ???
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

Saban does not fire coaches, impatient administrations at schools do this, usually because of fan unrest. LSu and LEs Miles is a pretty good example. Richt at GA was another one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cityhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 10, 2017, 12:10:21 pm
Tell that to Vandy and Kentucky.

and Arkansas....when was the last time we won anything of note in football?

code red

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 10, 2017, 12:10:21 pm
Tell that to Vandy and Kentucky.
I think there is more parity in the SEC than most of you guys and the media would care to admit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Peter Porker

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 10, 2017, 12:23:40 pm
http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Final AP poll. 1 SEC team in the top 12.

Oklahoma over Ohio State in the poll?  That game wasn't even close.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: cityhog on January 10, 2017, 12:16:01 pm
and Arkansas....when was the last time we won anything of note in football?

Don't know if this answers your question but 2016 was my 50th year of attending Hog games and in that time, I've seen three conference championships (SWC in 1975, '88,'89). 

RazorBassin

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 10, 2017, 12:33:22 pm
Don't know if this answers your question but 2016 was my 50th year of attending Hog games and in that time, I've seen three conference championships (SWC in 1975, '88,'89). 

I've tried to tailor my expectations from thinking about this very thing.  I had to take a step back from how serious of a fan I am when it comes to Hog football.  I never let it ruin my weekend anymore.  Hell, I don't even let it ruin my afternoon anymore.  I still watch every game, root just as hard for them, follow recruiting, talk shows, etc., but I don't let the Hogs win/loss record set the course of my weekend anymore.  Seems to be a much happier life, lol ;D ;D ;D :razorback:

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: RazorBassin on January 10, 2017, 12:39:20 pm
I've tried to tailor my expectations from thinking about this very thing.  I had to take a step back from how serious of a fan I am when it comes to Hog football.  I never let it ruin my weekend anymore.  Hell, I don't even let it ruin my afternoon anymore.  I still watch every game, root just as hard for them, follow recruiting, talk shows, etc., but I don't let the Hogs win/loss record set the course of my weekend anymore.  Seems to be a much happier life, lol ;D ;D ;D :razorback:

Same here.  I went to Charlotte, cabbed it back to the hotel after the game and was asleep about ten minutes later.

Hogarusa

Mark Richt, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, James Franklin, Urban Meyer, and Gary Pinkel have all left in the last 5-6 years. They werent replaced with better coaches. Its not Sabans fault.  The SEC is weaker without them.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 10, 2017, 12:26:26 pm
Oklahoma over Ohio State in the poll?  That game wasn't even close.

they dont vote based off the way teams looked week 3
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 10, 2017, 01:01:13 pm
Mark Richt, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, James Franklin, Urban Meyer, and Gary Pinkel have all left in the last 5-6 years. They werent replaced with better coaches. Its not Sabans fault.  The SEC is weaker without them.
everything goes in cycles.  the SEC has been tops for a long time, but is on a down cycle.  Even when the SEC is down, that only means other conferences have a chance to be competitive. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 10, 2017, 01:03:09 pm
they dont vote based off the way teams looked week 3

Haven't seen enough from either to believe OU could make up a 3 TD deficit in the interim.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Smokehouse

Depends on what perspective you mean. The fact that a small handful of schools can control almost all of the elite talent as long as their coaching staff is good to great is bad for a lot of schools chances at winning the title. Saban (as a great coach) at one of those schools hurts even worse with the rest of the SEC hoping Bama makes a mistake with their post-Saban coaching hire.

From the financial side, having a dominant school or two is probably good for the conference, so long as there's a reasonable chance they might get beaten during the season. Creates lots of interesting games but still gives you a good shot at being in the title game at the end of the year. If there was more parity and conference champs end the year with 2-3 losses the conference is less relevant nationally just out of perception, regardless of how good all the teams beating up on each other are.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 10, 2017, 12:23:40 pm
http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Final AP poll. 1 SEC team in the top 12.

3 in the top 15 and 5 in the top 25.  Tells a little different story than you portrayed didn't it.

phadedhawg

I'm ready for someone else to take the mantle for awhile.  Having a top heavy league is getting a bit stale. 

Alabama are great and they've earned their success.  I'm just tired of patting the same school on the back and saying "good job".

Peter Porker

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 01:08:17 pm
3 in the top 15 and 5 in the top 25.  Tells a little different story than you portrayed didn't it.

Now do that with the ACC and Pac-12. How many Big 10 teams in the top 10.

No, the story i tell is quite accurate.

hawganatic

Alabama has won the last three Iron Bowls.  How much longer do you guys think Malzahn has at Auburn if he keeps dropping this game (other factors like just not being good not being accounted for).  How many top coaches do you think want to coach at Auburn, knowing that regardless of what they do with the program, they will probably be fired in 3-4 years solely due to this one game?

Any time one team/person/entity dominates like Alabama is, it hurts everything around them.  Competitiveness is what keeps people engaged.  This is why I can't stand when Arkansas fans chant SEC and pull for teams like Bama.  The better they are, the harder our road becomes.

hawganatic

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 10, 2017, 01:06:53 pm
Saban (as a great coach) at one of those schools hurts even worse with the rest of the SEC hoping Bama makes a mistake with their post-Saban coaching hire.

Even if they make a bad hire it is going to take several years for Bama to wind down.  You could plug Houston Nutt into Saban's position and he would win for at least 3 years.

Smokehouse

Quote from: hawganatic on January 10, 2017, 01:17:24 pm
Even if they make a bad hire it is going to take several years for Bama to wind down.  You could plug Houston Nutt into Saban's position and he would win for at least 3 years.

True, but that's better (for the Hogs winning percentage) than the alternative.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hog Waller on January 10, 2017, 11:01:06 am

Last year the media was making a fuss that Coach Geno of Connecticut W basketball team was bad for basketball. His response was something like "Don't like it then do better."

Sports are always better served by trying to reach the best rather than the best playing down to the competition.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Atlhogfan1

Not due to Saban except perhaps Les (probably would get some debate on how quality of a coach he is) and UM.

Yet to be seen if it is weaker without Richt.  Last night was another example of how underachieving UGa has been with a program 75 miles away winning the NC a year after playing for it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

Soooo....in the same vein I guess Tiger was bad for the PGA in his hayday.

HotlantaHog

Since 1998-99, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, LSU and Alabama have all won national titles. Georgia came very close and might have if they had a playoff when they were really good.

When Florida State was really great in the ACC, Miami was a constant rival. Florida, FSU and Miami all used to be top 20 teams that played each other every year.

In the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan have been great often during the same years.

There is no reason another SEC team can't build a terrific program that competes with Alabama and occasionally wins championships. It's even possible you could have one other team build its own dynasty that competes with Alabama and a regular one-two punch.

In some ways, teams like Georgia, Florida and LSU have an advantage against Alabama because their recruiting territories are closer.

Razorback de Nosferatu

The Bama dynasty is getting old, and I'm ready for it to end.

But is Saban responsible for the sudden surge in mediocrity throughout the rest of the league?  Prolly not.  Saban has nothing to do with the near-constant underachieving that goes on at Auburn and Texas A&M and that went on for years at LSU. He's sure as heck not the reason why nobody in the East could take advantage of a golden opportunity and win what was truly a hapless division for an extended period of time.

That said, the SEC is now a one man show.  Even if Bama had won last night, it wouldn't have done the conference any favors when it comes to national perception of our league.  That needs to change.  It's not good for the SEC to look like "Bama, and then everybody else."

But I think it's absurd to say that Saban is somehow to blame for this.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Redhogs

Quote from: ATLHog on January 10, 2017, 11:52:06 am
HOGVILLE: BRET BIELEMA IS BAD FOR THE SEC
HOGVILLE: BRET BIELEMA IS BAD FOR ARKANSAS. And I agree.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

S.A.D.C

There is no doubt that the quality of coaching has declined in the last 2 years in the SEC.  The question is why?  It isn't all is due to Saban.  But, it's highly doubtful that it has nothing to do with him either. 

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on January 10, 2017, 01:55:34 pm
Soooo....in the same vein I guess Tiger was bad for the PGA in his hayday.

Tiger was great for the pga in terms of exposure. People tuned in to see him, some to see if he would win, others to see if he would lose. I am not talking hard core golf fans either, but casual fans wo wold tune in if he was on the leader board.

The bad part was when he began to falter, and during his long absences, the casual fans went away and so did many of the harder fans. I consider myself a pretty big golf fan, I played in college, and I followed things pretty closely, but once he became "mortal" i pretty much quit watching except the majors, or I might tune in on a Sunday afternoon to have something on while I catch a nap.

Bama is just boring, not that they play boring football, but it is boring knowing that they rarely lose, and almost just as rarely even get challenged.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Most of those coaches were either fired, retired, or left under scandal.  It is not like they were afraid of Bama.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2017, 02:23:02 pm
Tiger was great for the pga in terms of exposure. People tuned in to see him, some to see if he would win, others to see if he would lose. I am not talking hard core golf fans either, but casual fans wo wold tune in if he was on the leader board.

The bad part was when he began to falter, and during his long absences, the casual fans went away and so did many of the harder fans. I consider myself a pretty big golf fan, I played in college, and I followed things pretty closely, but once he became "mortal" i pretty much quit watching except the majors, or I might tune in on a Sunday afternoon to have something on while I catch a nap.

Bama is just boring, not that they play boring football, but it is boring knowing that they rarely lose, and almost just as rarely even get challenged.
I disagree.  I guess those of us who love the x's and o's see the brilliance.

jm

There is probably some truth. I do not believe any coach except Urban (who undoubtedly left due to competition) left because they were afriad of the competition, but look at the coaches who have replaced them. Say what you want about BB but he had the guts to give it a try.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgon on January 10, 2017, 12:08:04 pm

Rock beats steel. Paper beats rock. Therefore, Bama is paper.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on January 10, 2017, 02:42:43 pm
I disagree.  I guess those of us who love the x's and o's see the brilliance.

I am talking about for the casual fan. They are boring because most weeks there is almost zero chance they will be challenged much less beaten. Most of their games are get ahead by 17 or so then just pound the ball in the 2nd half.

I love watching them if for nothing else than their defense.

Razorbackers

Smokehouse

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2017, 02:23:02 pm

I think college dynasty teams do the same for the sport as Tiger did for the PGA. There are more hardcore football fans than hardcore PGA fans, obviously, so the effect is less drastic but there's still a large group of casual fans out there (bandwagon fans, if you want) who are much more likely to tune in and watch Bama in the playoffs than a bunch of smaller schools (say if the playoff was Washington, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Virginia Tech or something crazy like that).

I don't watch a lot of golf, but I do like following it better now that there's some actual intrigue on who will win a tournament rather than waiting for someone to beat Tiger, and I would be happier with greater parity in CFB. But numbers wise I'd bet it almost always plays out that dynasties (especially ones in big media markets, who have predetermined advantages to becoming dynasties anyway) are better for getting viewers and injecting money into the sport, so long as it doesn't get to the ridiculous point like U-Conn in NCAAWB.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 02:27:11 pm
Most of those coaches were either fired, retired, or left under scandal.  It is not like they were afraid of Bama.

the firing deal is part of what is mentioned in the article.  Specifically:  Les and Richt the winning-est coaches in their schools history- still winning at a high level and shown the door.  The thinking is that Saban's dominance had something do do with that.  Winning 10 games a year suddenly wasn't enough if you didn't beat Saban. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 10, 2017, 02:16:36 pm
There is no doubt that the quality of coaching has declined in the last 2 years in the SEC.  The question is why?  It isn't all is due to Saban.  But, it's highly doubtful that it has nothing to do with him either. 

Out of all of those coaches listed only les Myles was fired mainly because of bad offense and Alabama. Mark was fired more because of not being able to capitalize on a very down east. Petrino was fired because of off the field issues. Steve spurrier retired. Urban Meyer pretty much left for Ohio state( retired for a year) franklin left for a better job and pinkel I believe retired because of health issues.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?