Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk Scores 12 Points

Started by Arazorbackguy1, January 07, 2017, 09:49:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChamps

Quote from: sigpooie on January 08, 2017, 08:28:11 am
With  20 years of aau coaching, I would say KY is cheating,  since I  know how they do it. enjoy your winter of glory for a few more years before everyone else starts cheating like your fans and coaches do. Glad we are not Yall. Now get off the web so the rest of the trailer park and use it..

Proof?   Naw, didn't think so. 

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Kevin

Quote from: UKChamps on January 08, 2017, 08:46:06 am
Proof?   Naw, didn't think so. 

your coach has had two banner removed from his two previous coaching schools. a leopard does not change his spots.

I give him credit for figuring out all the loopholes in the ncaa for the bare minimum of college attendance for his players, and not be punished by the apr. also, give him credit for having the smarts that nothing they do ever traces back to his desk.

your program has cheated for years, all the way back to rupp, so don't take the holier than thou stance.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

micali

We don't need proof about UK cheating. It's already been proven that Cals programs cheat. When this slime ball leaves your program will pay the price. As for MM, I don't care. I would have been a big fan but not now.  As long as he's a big blue ........ who's MM.

hogsfan31

Quote from: Dropkick on January 07, 2017, 10:26:03 pm
Fox looked much better than Monk in my opinion.

That's bc Fox IS much better than Monk.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 07, 2017, 09:54:43 pm
We locked him up pretty good.

It was funny at times, twice I remember a defender leaving the guy with the ball wide open to the basket to cover Monk to keep him from scoring. A great way to stop Monk, but not so much to win the game.
SEC!

riccoar

Quote from: root_hawg on January 07, 2017, 10:29:18 pm
How many rings does Mike have that Nolan didn't win for him.  We got beat badily, yeah Monk had an off night but the kid is still leading the SEC in scoring and probably going to be a lottery pick.  Downgrade him, call him a traitor but fact remains we have played 2 ranked teams and gotten beaten by both.
Monk didn't have an off night. The Razorbacks simply proved when you D him up hard and make him work for his shot, he will struggle. No doubt the kid has talent and will be a lottery pick, but he's got a long road ahead in development.

ALLVOL

I get being disappointed that the kid chose another school. But some of you are way overboard IMO. The kid made a decision to go to another school and it sucks. But it happens to every school.
We just had something similar happen to us. One of the top FB players in the country from Knoxville choose Clemson. Some of our fans reacted just like some of you and they too were overboard.

riccoar

ALLVOL, it's not he chose another school. It's the manner in which it all went down.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: riccoar on January 08, 2017, 10:51:30 am
Monk didn't have an off night. The Razorbacks simply proved when you D him up hard and make him work for his shot, he will struggle. No doubt the kid has talent and will be a lottery pick, but he's got a long road ahead in development.
I would have a concern about drafting Malik if I were a team lucky enough to be holding a lottery pick. If you get physical with Malik and keep a hand in his face, he doesn't have many other tools in his toolbox that will allow him to score. Plus, you would expect a better rebounder considering his athleticism. Also, he isn't a facilitator for other guys and not a great defender.

If he had handles like a Steph Curry or rebounded like a Westbrook and were better on defense, then you have a lottery pick in my opinion.

riccoar

That's the problem with the NBA, they seem to love raw talent regardless of how refined it is. Monk has the talent, but it needs major development. He's a kid who would benefit staying 2 years, but that won't happen.

UKChamps

Quote from: riccoar on January 08, 2017, 11:37:01 am
That's the problem with the NBA, they seem to love raw talent regardless of how refined it is. Monk has the talent, but it needs major development. He's a kid who would benefit staying 2 years, but that won't happen.

Diallo is enrolling early.  He will have half a season with Monk in practice.  Hopefully it will be mutually beneficial.  Monk needs someone in practice who can defend him and Diallo needs to learn to defend a knock-down scorer. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: UKChamps on January 08, 2017, 12:09:04 pm
Diallo is enrolling early.  He will have half a season with Monk in practice.  Hopefully it will be mutually beneficial.  Monk needs someone in practice who can defend him and Diallo needs to learn to defend a knock-down scorer.

Monk needs to work on defending 6'6" shooting guards. He is going to see a lot of those in the NBA. Matter of fact, if this Diallo kid gets up to speed by tourney time, Malik may be sitting over by Cal for long stretches.

Pretty sure this kid will get a draft eval and based on his skill set and him working out with the team for a couple of months, he might be ready to get paid if he gets some good feedback from the NBA or is invited to the combine.

Jeffcphog

Quote from: UKChamps on January 08, 2017, 12:09:04 pm

Do you "Justifides" not have a board where you can discuss your slimy program?

Tejano Jawg

I'm sure this was discussed plenty last year, when Monk picked Kentucky, about the time I tuned out of the Jump Ball forum. So nothing new here...

This issue—having some of our best players, in any sport, leave the state—isn't new either. It's just easier to track now than it was in the pre-worldwide web days. And it is still a kick in the crotch.

How rare is the idea of state pride, or Razorback pride, for younger kids? When they make high school, some will say they're going to Arkansas no matter what (i.e. Darren McFadden). They'll contribute, win or lose. But others will be looking for the "better offer." Maybe they're looking for the better team to be on. What did Monk say about going to Kentucky? Did he say it gave him a better chance at a championship? Seriously, I don't know. (And yeah, I could probably dig into the Jump Ball archives and read about it.) Bentonville is my hometown, so I sorta kept up with him when his family moved there. That just added insult to the injury.

OR... does Monk have his sights on the NBA and, like many, just see Kentucky as the NBA minor-league team that it is? It's too bad. Because he'd be just as good at Arkansas. He'd be a sports hero at Arkansas. I would think that would mean something...as opposed to being just another elite player at UK. And yes, I know he's not exactly blending in or getting lost there. I just think of the press he'd get at Arkansas for a couple years.

Bitter fan/alum signing off.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

latrops

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 07, 2017, 10:06:12 pm
I know this is going to sound petty, but I don't care. I did NOT like the fact that Anderson grabbed Malik Monk by that back of the head and whispered 'sweet nothings' in his ear in the post game hand shake. Mike, that guy looked at you, your team, our program and said, "screw you, I'm going to Kentucky"...to me this is a slap in the face to all the great Razorbacks who came from inside Arkansas, particularly Moncrief, Delph and Brewer. They could have went anywhere in the country but they chose home. One day this boy is going to learn after he realizes he's not going to get the second contract (where NBA players traditionally make their big money) that he's going to have to move back to Arkansas to help ma and paw with the few hundred thousand he has left after he blows most of it on expensive cars, gold-digging women and jewelry that depreciates 50% once you walk out the door with it on. A decade from now #5 will be hanging out on the porch at Lepanto remembering the good ol' days when, despite his looks, the women loved him, the men wanted to be like him and life was good. If I pass on before now and that time, please remember who told you so. It's as inevitable as the Sun rising in the West. Malik will not make it as a shooting guard in the NBA, he has trouble getting a good look at 6'3" with a hand in his face and if you can't shoot in the NBA and won't play defense, you won't be there long. Good luck #5 in BLUE, you are going to need all you can muster.

The five star freshman who leads the SEC in scoring (that we all loved until he rejected us and chose Kentucky) isn't going to make it in the NBA because he didn't light us up in a 26 point win?

You are right about one thing, he does need to work on some things to realise his potential in the NBA....which is pretty much the norm for teenagers.

latrops

Quote from: riccoar on January 08, 2017, 11:37:01 am

Because he can't develop in the NBA where basketball is his full time job as well as he could in college where he has more limitations on practice time and has to pass a few classes?

ALLVOL

Quote from: riccoar on January 08, 2017, 11:25:57 am
ALLVOL, it's not he chose another school. It's the manner in which it all went down.
17/18 year old kids do dumb things. Adults around him probably had more to do with it. I just don't get adults hoping ill will on a kid because he chose another school. And yes, I've called out UT fans for the same thing.

yraciv

Shame on a lot of people in this thread, but 1969's takes the cake. I get why you would dislike him and root against him, but get over the fact that young man that chose another school over us.  To label him classless and stereotype the future lifestyle of a 18 year old is a disgraceful act.

We contained Malik Monk last night and I am happy about that because I don't root for people going against my Hogs.  Malik Monk is projected to go in the Top 10 in the NBA after the season.    He will make an amount of money in his first contract that some will never make in their life.  And to those who think he won't have success, I disagree and most NBA scouts would too.  He has elite athleticism, is good at finding spacing to create his own shot, and obviously he is a great shooter.  His ballhandling and on ball defense needs to improve, but he is 18 years old.  Ben Gordon was a similar sized/skilled SG who had a pretty nice NBA career.

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2017, 07:10:01 pm #70 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:04:56 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ALLVOL on January 08, 2017, 11:16:27 am
I get being disappointed that the kid chose another school. But some of you are way overboard IMO. The kid made a decision to go to another school and it sucks. But it happens to every school.
We just had something similar happen to us. One of the top FB players in the country from Knoxville choose Clemson. Some of our fans reacted just like some of you and they too were overboard.

The question then becomes  for your FB player that left is how did the recruiting go down. THAT was the issue with Monk.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 08, 2017, 07:40:54 pm
I'm sure they're plenty satisfied with a 26 point win.

They could care less what Monk was held to. It's really nothing to brag about.

There's only one good thing in the state of Kentucky. Bourbon.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

26.2Hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:26:56 am

If you get physical with Malik and keep a hand in his face, he doesn't have many other tools in his toolbox that will allow him to score.

Yes.   And thank you Manny Watkins for doing your part in shutting him down.

UKChamps

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2017, 08:06:24 pm
There's only one good thing in the state of Kentucky. Bourbon.

I'm enjoying some now, watching the DVR'd game.  I'll raise a glass to Arky striving for 3rd in the SEC...

JIHawg

Quote from: UKChamps on January 07, 2017, 10:13:51 pm
I think they hand out rings for holding Monk under 20.  If you do that and lose by less than 20 in the SECT then I bet you guys hang a banner...

Some of our players who knew him got to visit with Monk after the game.  They could tell he hates it at Kentucky and can't wait for his year there to be over.  He seemed miserable.  He thinks they have loads of talent but that Cal doesn't use it to best advantage.  He really wished he had gone to Arkansas.  He just couldn't get it going against his old friends.  That explains why he was so lethargic out there.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 07, 2017, 11:05:13 pm
A damn fine point right here

For this current team, we need to find a way to push and get more fast break points.  The offense runs too dry too often running the half court.

True.  IMO, what we are missing most is the inside game...4 and 5 min scoring droughts cant happen against the best teams and expect to win. In addition to getting turnovers with fast break points as well as 3 pt shot.

Im hoping we toughen more mentally too...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

JenksHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 08, 2017, 08:24:13 am
Mizzou in '93.

We're seriously bringing up a win from 23 years ago???

JenksHawg

Quote from: yraciv on January 08, 2017, 04:07:49 pm
Shame on a lot of people in this thread, but 1969's takes the cake. I get why you would dislike him and root against him, but get over the fact that young man that chose another school over us.  To label him classless and stereotype the future lifestyle of a 18 year old is a disgraceful act.

We contained Malik Monk last night and I am happy about that because I don't root for people going against my Hogs.  Malik Monk is projected to go in the Top 10 in the NBA after the season.    He will make an amount of money in his first contract that some will never make in their life.  And to those who think he won't have success, I disagree and most NBA scouts would too.  He has elite athleticism, is good at finding spacing to create his own shot, and obviously he is a great shooter.  His ballhandling and on ball defense needs to improve, but he is 18 years old.  Ben Gordon was a similar sized/skilled SG who had a pretty nice NBA career.

And people will call me crazy, but I actually think Monk not "eased up", but focused on being more of a facilitator.  He and the rest of their team knew they didn't need 30 from him to win this one.  I even think Cal was a part of it as well.  The guy was averaging 33 the past 4 games, needed to take a game off, and this was a good one to do it. 

biglewhog77

I think we did an excellent job on him they was just too deep

PonderinHog

Quote from: JenksHawg on January 08, 2017, 11:56:52 pm
We're seriously bringing up a win from 23 years ago???
I didn't bring it up.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UKChamps on January 08, 2017, 10:38:37 pm
I'm enjoying some now, watching the DVR'd game.  I'll raise a glass to Arky striving for 3rd in the SEC...

While watching a game in a sport that is a distant second in importance in everyones mind except a few schools like yours.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jeffcphog on January 08, 2017, 12:19:28 pm
Do you "Justifides" not have a board where you can discuss your slimy program?

Of course they do. It's the only decent program they have other than inseminating horses.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 07, 2017, 10:06:12 pm
It's as inevitable as the Sun rising in the West.

Well by gawd then! It's a 100% certainty.

hawgsalot

Quote from: UKChamps on January 08, 2017, 10:38:37 pm

Oh shut the hell up we both know after the half the refs basically had to hand you the lead by insuring everyone of our player had 4 fouls in the 1st couple minutes in the 2nd.  They had to wave off layups for walks 2 seconds late ignoring the fact that the defensive player knocked the heck out of him.   Fox is good but the game should have been much closer going down to the wire if not for your 6th man.  We both know it's true, there's a reason why we basically split games since cals been there.  Enjoy your trip to BW next year, you'll get your chance to whine.  Oh and enjoy that sweet 16 run, it's all you got this year.  I hope we're in the same bracket that would be fun watching Ashley Judd cry.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgsalot on January 09, 2017, 08:32:01 am
Oh shut the hell up we both know after the half the refs basically had to hand you the lead by insuring everyone of our player had 4 fouls in the 1st couple minutes in the 2nd.  They had to wave off layups for walks 2 seconds late ignoring the fact that the defensive player knocked the heck out of him.   Fox is good but the game should have been much closer going down to the wire if not for your 6th man.  We both know it's true, there's a reason why we basically split games since cals been there.  Enjoy your trip to BW next year, you'll get your chance to whine.  Oh and enjoy that sweet 16 run, it's all you got this year.  I hope we're in the same bracket that would be fun watching Ashley Judd cry.

Yes, please come to our house of pain. A reservation has already been made. We'll make sure that the heat is turned up for you guys.

010HogFan

lol you guys are crazy if you don't think Malik will make it in the NBA. Don't be salty about it. If he were here, nobody would be saying that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 07, 2017, 09:49:50 pm
I'll take it and run.  That's a W in my book.  Now on to MsU and the rest of the league.  Go Hogs!
Fox was the one that killed us.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

UKChamps

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 09, 2017, 09:04:51 am
Yes, please come to our house of pain. A reservation has already been made. We'll make sure that the heat is turned up for you guys.

We'll be there.  We're bringing in another 5* this week that'll be the SG for that game.  I hope we see you in the SECT this year.  Would love to put together 2 decent halves and beat you by 50 this time. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: UKChamps on January 09, 2017, 04:12:31 pm
We'll be there.  We're bringing in another 5* this week that'll be the SG for that game.  I hope we see you in the SECT this year.  Would love to put together 2 decent halves and beat you by 50 this time.

I think it's time to milk your stallion so stop flapping your gums over here and get on down to the barn and get busy and, by the way, don't forget your knee pads.

HogsonHicks

Monk is a punk, and Cal and UK are perfect together.  One of today's sleaziest coaches coupled with a school that's proven it will sell it's soul to win.

By the way, condemnation from fans of two other schools (Vols and UK) is unwanted and unneeded.  Perhaps your two fan bases can combine wits and create your own message boards.

HossHog

Quote from: UKChamps on January 09, 2017, 04:12:31 pm
So whenever a team actually plays defense on your team you call it a bad half? Granted we probably won't beat you for the next couple of years but if you have a bad half every time someone plays a little defense you guys are gunna get your butt handed to y'all in the tournament.