Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss 88 @Auburn 85

Started by jbcarol, January 07, 2017, 08:38:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AntonioCMorales/status/818161281920356352

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. - Despite some sloppiness down the stretch, Ole Miss was able to withstand its self-inflicted mistakes and secured its first road and SEC win of the season Saturday night.

The victory, which was spurred by a late 3-pointer from guard Rasheed Brooks, helped Ole Miss (10-5, 1-2 SEC) dodge an 0-3 start in conference play.

Neal was taken out of the starting lineup Saturday, and Terence Davis, who finished with 16 points, was inserted. It took a little while for Neal to get going — he was the only Rebel who played and didn't score in the first half but rebounded nicely in the second.

The New Mexico transfer scored 13 second-half points, hit three 3-pointers and only committed two turnovers.

"We changed his role obviously," Kennedy said. "He's been point guard, point guard, point guard. Tonight, he didn't play any point. He's still a primary ball handler — we still trust his decision making ... but I thought he made pretty good decisions with the ball."

Ole Miss turned the ball over 36 times in two games against the Wildcats and Gators. Rebels committed 17 against the Tigers.

Some were avoidable, like Davis dribbling the ball out of bounds in the final minutes. Turnovers are a problem Ole Miss has dealt with all season. Rebels have an offense turnover percentage of 20.9, per Kenpom.com, which ranks 282nd in all Division I.

"Poor decisions with the ball," Kennedy said. "I've seen almost everything in my time as a coach ... I don't if I've seen a team that literally will just dribble the ball out of bounds. We have got that mastered."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ole Miss is first team out in the latest USA-Today Bracket projection.