Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randy Shannon named DC at Florida

Started by Karma, January 06, 2017, 10:05:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

It's interesting he couldn't get that promotion here.

ricepig

jackflash

we will see how this work out. he will recruit Florida well for them

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: jackflash on January 06, 2017, 10:16:50 am
we will see how this work out. he will recruit Florida well for them

Presumably he was already doing that. He just got bumped up to DC. If he wasn't already recruiting Florida well, I don't think he'd have gotten the DC title.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

code red

Interesting.....how the lb play declined after he left Arkansas as well.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: code red on January 06, 2017, 10:42:28 am
shh we aren't allowed to tell the truth around here
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 06, 2017, 10:47:55 am
shh we aren't allowed to tell the truth around here

Ain't that the truth. You get called a fake fan if you do.

ricepig

While I never thought he was enamored with being here, and at the time wasn't overly thrilled with our LB play, it was better than now. That may have been due to the play of Spaight in 2014, but it isn't better now, for sure.

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 11:11:34 am
While I never thought he was enamored with being here, and at the time wasn't overly thrilled with our LB play, it was better than now. That may have been due to the play of Spaight in 2014, but it isn't better now, for sure.

I think Spaight definitely and Mitchell were the reason the LB play looked good. I don't think it would have been light years better with him here these past 2 season.

I think it's about to improve significantly over the next 2 with some of these speedy guys we have on board and committed.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It did seem like he hit the road the moment a decent job opened up. I wonder if it was a dislike for Arkansas/Fayetteville or if he and robb smith had "conflicting views" on the defense. If the latter, we definitely kept the wrong person
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

Well yeah....considering we could insert any safety at lb and probably fair just as well.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BR

Derek Tyson Verified account
‏@DerekTysonESPN

Randy Shannon worked w/ @CoachPartridge at Arkansas, wonder if Florida will try to find a way to get Partridge on staff. Excellent recruiter
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

The Boar War

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 06, 2017, 11:33:02 am
It did seem like he hit the road the moment a decent job opened up. I wonder if it was a dislike for Arkansas/Fayetteville or if he and robb smith had "conflicting views" on the defense. If the latter, we definitely kept the wrong person

Did he say something about going to a place where they were serious about winning?  I don't remember it but my uncle swears he did.

k.c.hawg

Most people that are 50 years old and have spent 45 years in Miami, 3 years in DFW and 2 years in Arkansas..........would absolutely hate Arkansas/Fayetteville and DFW for that matter. Never have known one person that lived on the coast and liked living on the coast especially south Florida, that would tell you they were happy living in NWA.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

younghog

GO HOGS

go hogues

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 06, 2017, 12:16:45 pm
Most people that are 50 years old and have spent 45 years in Miami, 3 years in DFW and 2 years in Arkansas..........would absolutely hate Arkansas/Fayetteville and DFW for that matter. Never have known one person that lived on the coast and liked living on the coast especially south Florida, that would tell you they were happy living in NWA.
Ba ba ba bingo
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

kaki

Very interesting how easily some get enamored with a name/person and how quickly they can just as easily turn.  The minute Shannon left, he became the greatest coach in the history of linebackers and defense, but if he had stayed, most likely many would be hoping that he could land the Wake Forest job! 

Redhogs

Quote from: The Boar War on January 06, 2017, 11:46:50 am
Did he say something about going to a place where they were serious about winning?  I don't remember it but my uncle swears he did.
Yes he most certainly did...hit Bert with that little nugget on the way out the door. It was not a friendly parting of the ways. Don't think he ever wanted to be here. Said something to the effect of he was going to a program that wasn't so average and were winners, unlike Arkansas.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bennyl08

It did? I know the LB play declined after Spaight left. However, outside of Spaight, LB play was much better than anything we saw in 2013, even this year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Karma on January 06, 2017, 10:05:36 am
IKR...He's good enough to be the DC at Florida but he's not good enough to be the DC at Arkansas... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: kaki on January 06, 2017, 12:45:15 pm
Very interesting how easily some get enamored with a name/person and how quickly they can just as easily turn.  The minute Shannon left, he became the greatest coach in the history of linebackers and defense, but if he had stayed, most likely many would be hoping that he could land the Wake Forest job!
If he did good for him. That may have been the main reason he didn't want to be here. If he would have gotten the DC job and that extra money he may have stayed... ???

Lets be honest here folks. We all know the reason he didn't get that DC job... ??? ...We all know he was more than qualified.

onebadrubi

You have short term agenda driven memory. We were gassed over the middle badly when he was here.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 06, 2017, 05:04:06 pm
You have short term agenda driven memory. We were gassed over the middle badly when he was here.
And worst since he left.

hogsfan31

I live on the coast in South Florida and would gladly live in NW Ark any day, but I'm not from Florida and didn't spend 45 years here.

And IMO Gainesville is nothing special. Miami> Gainesville anyday, although it's a 5 to 5.5 hour drive between the two, he's not far from home.

Buff

Quote from: BR on January 06, 2017, 11:45:08 am
Derek Tyson Verified account
‏@DerekTysonESPN

Randy Shannon worked w/ @CoachPartridge at Arkansas, wonder if Florida will try to find a way to get Partridge on staff. Excellent recruiter

You wanna go ahead and just kick me in the balls now?

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Redhogs on January 06, 2017, 01:59:36 pm
Yes he most certainly did...hit Bret with that little nugget on the way out the door. It was not a friendly parting of the ways. Don't think he ever wanted to be here. Said something to the effect of he was going to a program that wasn't so average and were winners, unlike Arkansas.
only to get BEAT by Arkansas HAHAHAHA   CBB got the last word  ;D :P

The Kig

I sorta get what you're saying, but have you been to Gainesville?  First of all, it's not on the coast...and not remotely close to Miami.  Only about an hour longer drive from Little Rock to New Orleans than Gainesville to Miami.  Daytona is probably the closest beach and it's over 2 hours away.  Other than the university, it is mostly rednecks...sorta like Arkansas, but flat and swampy.  It's a small college town, not really that close to anything.   

As one of the state main universities, it has inherent recruiting advantages over a place like Arkansas.  That's the major difference.  Scenically, NWA is considerably nicer than either DFW or Gainesville. 
Poker Porker

PorkRinds

Yes he most certainly did...hit Bret with that little nugget on the way out the door. It was not a friendly parting of the ways. Don't think he ever wanted to be here. Said something to the effect of he was going to a program that wasn't so average and were winners, unlike Arkansas.

Link?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hog N Bama on January 06, 2017, 06:27:52 pm
only to get BEAT by Arkansas HAHAHAHA   CBB got the last word  ;D :P
Ah, no, he went to the SECCG while we were blowing 24-7 and 24-0 leads. I'd say he was happy with that, and he was right. Don't let the facts get in your homer way.

One of these days some of the SLLLOOOOOWWWWWEEEERRRRR among us will finally realize that many, many assistants do not like working for a coach who is aloof, doesn't appear to be involved in the nuts and bolts of the game, doesn't seem to want a second team, and stands aside from the little things that make a group of people a team.  And therefore, not appearing to care about wins and losses.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: 12247 on January 06, 2017, 07:31:46 pm
One of these days some of the SLLLOOOOOWWWWWEEEERRRRR among us will finally realize that many, many assistants do not like working for a coach who is aloof, doesn't appear to be involved in the nuts and bolts of the game, doesn't seem to want a second team, and stands aside from the little things that make a group of people a team.  And therefore, not appearing to care about wins and losses.

Sigh...and one of these days some may come to realize that Shannon was going back to Florida the first chance he got.

I'm sure not everyone enjoys working with our head coach. Shocker.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Darren DeLoach

He must really hate Patterson and the TCU program to leave there for here...
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

colbs

BB & Shannon seemed to be on good terms before & after the Arkansas/Florida game this year.  I doubt it went down like you say.

gladhoggrad

Shannon WANTED to be DC at Arkansas. He was led to believe he would be seriously considered and never received much consideration. BB tried to keep him with that Asst Head Coach title or whatever it was called and little more money. Shannon was out not long after that.

People say we need faster LBs. Who on here thinks Shannon couldn't have pulled one or more of those here since he's been gone? He could have at least found someone who could spill Brooks on obvious passing downs.

The Smith over Shannon decision was when I began to wonder if BB could hack it in the SEC. I think the jury is about to return a verdict on that one. Let's see his next DC hire.

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2017, 09:44:59 am #34 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:45:12 am by Inhogswetrust

IF one likes the coast then that's their prerogative. IF one likes the mountains that's their prerogative. If one likes flat farm land that's their prerogative. Just because one has lived there a lot doesn't mean they will always like it better. It is more like the emotional attachment of "home" than location sometimes for many. I was born in south central Arkansas but you would have to pay me a fortune to live there now. The only reason we live in Memphis is to be close to family and my wife's job at FedEx. We would much rather prefer to live in NWA or the western US mountains and we aren't from either. I know a few former Hogs that were from other places and they made Arkansas their home after their playing careers were over. Same as some  former high school athletes form Arkansas that went elsewhere and stayed there. No biggie. You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or San Fran or OKC or Chicago but some wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Same for some from NWA. They wouldn't wan o live anywhere else. There are reasons some move there besides Wal-Mart jobs. Even those that do for that reason stay a lot of the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: colbs on January 06, 2017, 08:13:02 pm
BB & Shannon seemed to be on good terms before & after the Arkansas/Florida game this year.  I doubt it went down like you say.
Doubt it all you want. Do a little research and you will find it was said.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gladhoggrad on January 08, 2017, 08:38:44 am
Shannon WANTED to be DC at Arkansas. He was led to believe he would be seriously considered and never received much consideration. BB tried to keep him with that Asst Head Coach title or whatever it was called and little more money. Shannon was out not long after that.

People say we need faster LBs. Who on here thinks Shannon couldn't have pulled one or more of those here since he's been gone? He could have at least found someone who could spill Brooks on obvious passing downs.

The Smith over Shannon decision was when I began to wonder if BB could hack it in the SEC. I think the jury is about to return a verdict on that one. Let's see his next DC hire.

I think it is quite possible that Shannon and Bielema didn't share the same recruiting philosophy when it came to the quality/type of kid that Bielema wanted to recruit to Arkansas. How many of Shannon's recruits stuck around? I don't recall for certain and maybe someone else does, but I thought he had some character busts in his recruits? I don't think it had to do with a lack of athleticism.
Go Hogs Go!

Redhogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2017, 09:44:59 am
IF one likes the coast then that's their prerogative. IF one likes the mountains that's their prerogative. Just because one has lived there a lot doesn't mea they will always like it better. It is more like the emotional attachment of "home" than location sometimes for many. I was born in south central Arkansas but you would have to pay me a fortune to live there now. The only reason we live in Memphis is to be close to family and my wife's job at FedEx. We would much rather prefer to live in NWA or the western US mountains and we aren't from either. I know a few former Hogs that were from other places and they made Arkansas their home after their playing careers were over. Same as some  former high school athletes form Arkansas that went elsewhere and stayed there. No biggie. You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or San Fran or OKC or Chicago but some wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Same for some from NWA. They wouldn't wan o live anywhere else. There are reasons some move there besides Wal-Mart jobs. Even those that do for that reason stay a lot of the time.
Correct, good post. I spent a July in Florida and found it hell on earth...made NWA look like the dry arid desert...have lived in Ca. Colo. and TX. like it here best of all, but that's just me. There is no perfect place, some are just more perfect than others.

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2017, 10:46:47 am #38 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:46:21 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Redhogs on January 08, 2017, 09:58:41 am
Correct, good post. I spent a July in Florida and found it hell on earth...made NWA look like the dry arid desert...have lived in Ca. Colo. and TX. like it here best of all, but that's just me. There is no perfect place, some are just more perfect than others.

I've worked in Destin, Pensacola and Lantana and been in several other places in Florida including all of the pan handle, Miami, Orlando, Palm Beach, West Palm and Tallahassee. You would have to pay me a small fortune to live in that state. I wouldn't want to live in it the rest of my life even if I were retired. I also actually like the ability to live wherever I desire and still being able to go visit "home" in Arkansas. I go to south Arkansas a couple of times a year and love going back. But it's because of my relatives and to see them instead of to visit the "location" or area. The area I like to go to is a little north of White Oak Lake and close to the Little Mulberry called Red Hill. That and Chidester is where my Dad is from. I also visit my Mom's old stopping grounds and homeplace just south of Camden off Mt. Holly RD. around Bethesda church. I have a lot of relatives that live there and are buried in the cemetery at that church. I was born in Camden and have a lot of relatives there that wouldn't want to live anywhere else. That's their prerogative and I respect it. It's not for me though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig In The City

Bingo! And people were giving credit to Smith. Lol

Pig In The City

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2017, 09:52:22 am
I think it is quite possible that Shannon and Bielema didn't share the same recruiting philosophy when it came to the quality/type of kid that Bielema wanted to recruit to Arkansas. How many of Shannon's recruits stuck around? I don't recall for certain and maybe someone else does, but I thought he had some character busts in his recruits? I don't think it had to do with a lack of athleticism.
Anytime you recruit FL you are going to have busts. It is just the reality of it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig In The City on January 08, 2017, 10:56:36 am
Anytime you recruit FL you are going to have busts. It is just the reality of it.

Anytime you recruit ANYWHERE you are going to have busts.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Karma on January 06, 2017, 10:05:36 am

I believe he would have lost money to take a DC job here as he was still being paid by the U.  Pretty much the same reason he didn't get the DC job at Florida to begin with.

jacobp

Quote from: Pig In The City on January 08, 2017, 10:53:41 am
Bingo! And people were giving credit to Smith. Lol
Yeah, nothing to do with Spaight graduating, Greenlaw's injury, our bad d line, etc.

We are redshirting and bringing in better LB talent than we've had in years. That and Greenlaw coming back, LB is a position to be cautiously optimistic about the next few years

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig In The City on January 08, 2017, 10:56:36 am

Here are the recruits out of Florida during the two recruiting seasons that Shannon was here and the coaches that were the primary and secondary recruiters for those players. You can draw your own conclusions.

Florida Recruits 2013-2014

JoJo Robinson:              Shannon/Williams
Kendrick Edwards:         Shannon/Williams
Randy Ramsey:             Shannon/Williams
Anthony Brown:            Shannon/Williams
Josh Allen:                   Pittman/Chaney
Alex Collins:                 Partridge/Thomas
Denver Kirkland:            Shannon/Pittman
DeAndre Coley:             Shannon/Partridge
KeTyrus Marks:             Partridge/Ash
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 06, 2017, 05:24:36 pm
And worst since he left.

Actually no.  We no longer are a free release for a slot receiver/TE between the hashes like a few years ago.  Now we have other holes but not that one which was solely on Shannon's position

onebadrubi

Quote from: gladhoggrad on January 08, 2017, 08:38:44 am

Well I guess by your antics Shannon can't hack it as a DC either as Arkansas ran it right down his linebackers throat while at Florida this year.

factchecker

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 08, 2017, 10:13:51 pm
Well I guess by your antics Shannon can't hack it as a DC either as Arkansas ran it right down his linebackers throat while at Florida this year.

https://twitter.com/russellschaap/status/795729064950714368
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2017, 10:46:47 am
I've worked in Destin, Pensacola and Lantana and been in several other places in Florida including all of the pan handle, Miami, Orlando, Palm Beach, West Palm and Tallahassee. You would have to pay me a small fortune to live in that state. I wouldn't want to live in it the rest of my life even if I were retired. I also actually like the ability to live wherever I desire and still being able to go visit "home" in Arkansas. I go to south Arkansas a couple of times a year and love going back. But it's because of my relatives and to see them instead of to visit the "location" or area. The area I like to go to is a little north of White Oak Lake and close to the Little Mulberry called Red Hill. That and Chidester is where my Dad is from. I also visit my Mom's old stopping grounds and homeplace just south of Camden off Mt. Holly RD. around Bethesda church. I have a lot of relatives that live there and are buried in the cemetery at that church. I was born in Camden and have a lot of relatives there that wouldn't want to live anywhere else. That's their prerogative and I respect it. It's not for me though.
they probably wouldn't mind somewhere else .Camden has fallen into a hole . little to do unless you hunt and fish. quality of life as it is measured is better in surrounding towns . family and jobs is all that holds most here . i see you are in memphis . that is one town i will never return to . been there twice and hated it both times
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins