Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What evidence is there that continuing to change coaches is the answer?

Started by luke hawg, January 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:07:27 pm
You ARE too young to remember the SWC.   :D
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 02:18:13 pm
OU? Oklahoma A&M? Phillips? Southwestern? Whuhduhfuh?

Clearly harkening back to some of the original members, but then he should have included Ga Tech, Tulane, and the ever popular Sewanee on the other side, hah

Go Hogs!

KennyForAD

I think OU and Oke State (A&M) were founding members of the SWC, like in 1789.  But what the heck is Phillips?   And Southwestern?  Is that UT Southwest, the Medical School in Dallas?

Uncle Remus

Has someone screwed with the Wiki page or what????

DLUXHOG

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:25:42 pm

I think OU and Oke State (A&M) were founding members of the SWC, like in 1789.  But what the heck is Phillips?   And Southwestern?  Is that UT Southwest, the Medical School in Dallas?
OU was only in it for the first 3 or 4 years...... OSU first 10.....Southwestern University (also referred to as Southwestern or SU) is a private, four-year, undergraduate, liberal arts college located in Georgetown, Texas and was a founding member of the SWC for 1 year.....  Phillips was a church school out of Enid OK and is now kaput and they were only in the SWC for one year.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Gonzo on January 04, 2017, 02:24:49 pm
Clearly harkening back to some of the original members, but then he should have included Ga Tech, Tulane, and the ever popular Sewanee on the other side, hah

Yep. I was wondering why anybody would even mention pre-WWII/WWI members of the Southwest Conference. For any reason.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 06:18:43 pm
Yep. I was wondering why anybody would even mention pre-WWII/WWI members of the Southwest Conference. For any reason.

I'm disappointed in the lack of reference to Missouri School of Mines, Drury, and Haskell Indian College. Oh, and Ft. Smith HS. That first year we had it rolling, downing Ft Smith High in back-to-back games (42-0 and 38-0) and had the fans talking big. Then, they hit the road to Austin where UT handed us our asses, 54-0. John Futrall's honeymoon was over, the "new" had worn off for sure. He would only go on to win three more games before giving way to Burton Wilson as the Head Hog.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jgphillips3

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 04, 2017, 08:39:30 am
Your revisionist history aside, IF we fired CBB right now and hired a new coach, it would be our 5th coach in 10 years. 

A program that has 5 coaches in 10 years is probably not a place that anyone worth a crap would want to come to. And it's probably not a stable program, meaning it will sink (again) quickly.

Why is Long giving Bielema such a long leash? It should be fairly obvious.

This program needs stability more than anything. It needs someone that can (and has) changed the toxic BP culture that was here. And it needs time to heal itself. And more than anything...we need to ride out the Saban tsunami.

7-6 is not ideal. It's also not far off from most predictions people had. (8-4 I think was the winner in the preseason poll.) If we had won 1 of our last 2 games, we'd have matched last year. If we had won both, we'd of finished with 9 wins, which is crazy that we came THAT close to 9 wins tbh.

Everyone desperately needs to calm down. Everyone had a bad year this year except for Bama. Literally everyone. Every coach is on the hot seat apparently. Give Bielema time. He and Long were pretty up front that they were hoping to see real, true results by year 5 or 6. Let's just see what happens.

He's recruiting as well as any coach here has, and there's a decent chance we see some coaching moves soon. I have thought since the preseason that 2017 would be a better season than 2016. Let's try and think big picture here.   

I don't think you understand the term "revisionist".   What did I say that isn't fact, other than arguably that Smile shouldn't count?  Ford got 4 years...fact.  Nutt got 10 years...fact.  If not for Harley Gate, Petrino should still be here...arguable but likely.  Since Danny Ford was hired in 1994, we have fired 3 coaches and had one interim.  The premise of the OP is that we aren't patient which is BS.  As a program, we are pretty much right there with the rest of the SEC if not MORE patient.  Fans...maybe not.  Program...definitely.

LZH

Problem with going after a head coach that would warrant or have the resume to demand five or six million dollars, he will also demand a ridiculous buyout. And if he tanks then we're hung for several years (sounds familiar).

I would least like to see us pay our assistants something comparable to the rest of the SEC West. I think that is huge because these Hot Shots don't work cheap.

HamSammich

Guys this thread is frankly too long and didn't read. I'll reply to the op.... most coaches don't overcome the recruiting financial bias.... some like Peterson Pedersen and brides simply do. There are a 10 percent of coaches at any given time that can take 3 star talent and make you elite and take 4 star talent and make you a legacy.

-/thread

luke hawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 06:41:32 am
Are we really?  Are we counting interim coaches in there?

I think BB should get a couple more years, because I believe that in order to build a solid team at Arkansas, pretty much the 9th best team in everything in the SEC, it takes time and patience.

Since 1991, the facts contradict the premise of the original post and based off turnover alone, Miss State should be ruling the SEC.

Alabama - 6
1990-1996 Gene Stallings (62/25)
1997-2000 Mike DuBose (24/23)
2001-2002 Dennis Franchione (17/8)
2003 Mike Price (0/0)
2003-2006 Mike Shula (10/23)
2007-present Nick Saban (64/12)

Auburn - 5
1981–1992 Pat Dye (99/39)
1993-1998 Terry Bowden (47/17)
1999-2008 Tommy Tuberville (85/40)
2009-2012 Gene Chizik (33/18)
2103-present  Gus Malzahn (34/15)

Arkansas - 6
1990-1992 Jack Crowe (9/15)
1992 Joe Kines
1993-1997 Danny Ford (26/30)
1998-2007 Houston Nutt (75/48)
2008-2011 Bobby Petrino (34/17)
2011-2012 JLS (4/8)
2013-present Brett Bielema (25/25)

LSU - 5
1991-1994 Curley Hallman (16/28)
1995-1999 Gerry DiNardo (32/24)
2000-2004 Nick Saban (48/16)
2005-2016 Les Miles (114/34)
2016-present Ed Orgeron (5/2)

Miss St - 3
1991-2003 Jackie Sherrill (75/75)
2004-2008 Sylvester Croom (21/38)
2008-present Dan Mullen (61/42)

Ole Miss - 7
1983-1993 Billy Brewer (68/55)
1994 Joe Lee Dunn (4/7)
1995-1998 Tommy Tubberville (25/20)
1999-2004 David Cutcliffe (44/29)
2005-2007 Ed Orgeron (10/25)
2008-2011 Houston Nutt (24/26)
2012-present Hugh Freeze (35/19)

aTm - 4
1989-2002 RC Slocum (123/47)
2003-2007 Dennis Franchione (32/28)
2008-2011 Mike Sherman (25/25)
2012-present Kevin Sumlin (42/16)

I definitely count interims because it sets the program back a good bit.

depressed_fan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 04, 2017, 07:30:34 pm
I don't think you understand the term "revisionist".   What did I say that isn't fact, other than arguably that Smile shouldn't count?  Ford got 4 years...fact.  Nutt got 10 years...fact.  If not for Harley Gate, Petrino should still be here...arguable but likely.  Since Danny Ford was hired in 1994, we have fired 3 coaches and had one interim.  The premise of the OP is that we aren't patient which is BS.  As a program, we are pretty much right there with the rest of the SEC if not MORE patient.  Fans...maybe not.  Program...definitely.

dan ford had 5 years he started in ninety three

depressed_fan

Quote from: Gonzo on January 04, 2017, 12:51:43 pm

You agree with the decision, no issue with that whatsoever, lots of people do. I don't fault Long for making it. But the simple truth is, no matter how sure you are of your absolute stance, it was not the only option, it's just the one JL chose. It's a pretty rare occasion when there is simply only one possible choice. This wasn't one of the rares.

Go Hogs!

Jeff Long didn't make the decision to fire him. The board of trustees did.

Pork Twain

I just went with the originals off this page because I did not fully trust Wiki.  I included all the teams that Arkansas might have padded their SWC record with.  If I am going to include our complete record from our time in the SWC (all the way back to 1915), I thought I should include the teams we played, even the ones that don't play anymore.  I think of this as completeness of data.  To me this just illustrates the level of competition the SWC record was gained against vs the level of competition the SEC record has been gained against.  Since we have joined the SEC, there have been VERY FEW automatic conference wins on our schedule.

The Southwest Athletic Conference was organized in 1914. Charter members included the University of Texas, Texas A&M University, Baylor University, the University of Arkansas, the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State) University, Southwestern University of Georgetown and Rice University. Southern Methodist University joined the conference in 1918; Texas Christian University was added in 1923; Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University) joined in 1958; and the University of Houston was accepted for membership in 1971. Phillips University of Enid, Okla., participated in the conference in 1920. Oklahoma and Oklahoma A&M dropped out in the mid-'20s, and Southwestern quit after 1916.

http://texasalmanac.com/topics/sports/look-back-southwest-conference

The record below is 1915-1990 for the SWC and 1991-present for the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:07:27 pm
You ARE too young to remember the SWC.   :D
That is what I said, so I did research and listed all the members of the SWC that I could find that the Hogs might have gotten a W/L from during their time in the conference, because the numbers I listed went back to when we helped set up the conference in 1915.  I didn't want to leave anyone off, because hell, Princeton and Harvard used to be powerhouses way back.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Athog

Quote from: luke hawg on January 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm
We are leading the conference in turnover since joining with exactly what to show for it.

There is no reason to think that, but then how would Hogville exist??

GuvHog

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 04, 2017, 10:34:32 pm

Wrong. Jeff Long stated at the termination press conference that the decision to terminate Bobby Petrino was his and his alone.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 10:19:07 am
Wrong. Jeff Long stated at the termination press conference that the decision to terminate Bobby Petrino was his and his alone.
You realize it doesn't matter what he said, right?  Jeff Long was doing his job, protecting his bosses AND the University.  Good grief, Guv.  don't you get tired of being dead wrong all the time?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 05, 2017, 05:24:09 pm
You realize it doesn't matter what he said, right?  Jeff Long was doing his job, protecting his bosses AND the University.  Good grief, Guv.  don't you get tired of being dead wrong all the time?
I look at the AD like I look at a 1stSgt in the military.  He disseminates and enforces the guidance from the sr officers to the jr troops and passing the concerns of the jr troops up to the sr officers, for their consideration.  The buck stops with him and he carries a heavy burden on his shoulders.

code red

Quote from: luke hawg on January 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm
We are leading the conference in turnover since joining with exactly what to show for it.
We had our coach....he rode outta town.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 03, 2017, 09:08:54 pm
What evidence leads you to believe this coaching staff can get it done?
This.....being scared of change is just being scared of improving.  We owe Brett B nothing at this point. 25-26.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pork Twain

Funny how hog fans bitch about coaching changes and ignore how much changes with other teams.  I did not realize how much turnover there had been at the OC/DC until they brought it up during the game last night.

AirWarren

With Robb smith gone, we will be clear favorites to win a national title next year.

AirWarren

Quote from: code red on January 06, 2017, 07:23:30 am

A coach that:
1. Couldn't beat bama.
2. Couldn't Win the SEC.
3. Couldn't Win the big bowl game.
4. Still can't win the big bowl game.

Inhogswetrust

It's like mentioning Suwanee, GT and Tulane as members of the SEC.......................who cares. Nobody.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 04, 2017, 10:34:32 pm

That's a Guvish type post.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HamSammich on January 04, 2017, 09:39:09 pm
Guys this thread is frankly too long and didn't read. I'll reply to the op.... most coaches don't overcome the recruiting financial bias.... some like Peterson Pedersen and brides simply do. There are a 10 percent of coaches at any given time that can take 3 star talent and make you elite and take 4 star talent and make you a legacy.

-/thread

Those damn Brides can spend lots of money...................