Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What evidence is there that continuing to change coaches is the answer?

Started by luke hawg, January 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

We are leading the conference in turnover since joining with exactly what to show for it.

Dr. Starcs

What evidence leads you to believe this coaching staff can get it done?

jgphillips3

Danny Ford had 4 years.  Nutt had 10 years.  Petrino should still be here.  Smile should not count.  If it wasn't for Harley Gate and Long making the decision to fire Petrino, we would still only have our third real coach since joining the SEC.  I don't see that we are all that "quick" on the trigger to be honest.

tophawg19

It will help if we reach deeper in the pocket to get the higher level guys like the rest of the SEC is doing . We can't win when hiring the ''discounted '' guys while the other teams hire top line coaches . When they hire top shelf guys and we are down in the basement digging through closets hoping to stumble on to someone,it can't end well for us . They hire the names and get the recruits . We hire has beens and hopefuls and get whatever we can to come. Enos was a break but otherwise not so much . Smith kicks butt in recruiting .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Scott7703

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 03, 2017, 09:08:54 pm
What evidence leads you to believe this coaching staff can get it done?

This is pretty much where I'm at also.

BadHog

Quote from: luke hawg on January 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm
We are leading the conference in turnover since joining with exactly what to show for it.

Not much and we can thank Jeff Long for that!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

lakecityhog

Truthfully, my hope is that BB can stay for 10+ years. But, I want those 10 years to be GOOD years. The program needs that kind of stability. We need to build an identity, something that we can say "this is what we do." We need this to help with recruiting, to be able to SELL our identity to prospects.

I honestly think that a ton of people feel the same way, the only problem is that many of us are really concerned that we are seeing the level of performance that we can expect. And, unlike some others many of us believe that we can do better than 7-5.

And the other simple truth is that what we like, want or expect is a moot point for at least 2 more years. BB has 2 more years to right the ship and move us up to that 8-4/9-3 level that Arkansas is capable of on a fairly regular basis.
A good step in the right direction would be to correct the most glaring issues, the inability to finish a game, field a sound, fundamental defense and become a more disciplined team.

go hogues

Tennessee has been a revolving door, as has UF, UK, Ole Piss and Vandy
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hawg Life

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 03, 2017, 09:11:44 pm
Danny Ford had 4 years.  Nutt had 10 years.  Petrino should still be here.  Smile should not count.  If it wasn't for Harley Gate and Long making the decision to fire Petrino, we would still only have our third real coach since joining the SEC.  I don't see that we are all that "quick" on the trigger to be honest.

Petrino should not still be here. I'm still not sure how anyone could say that he should still be here. Long has done his job here by hiring 2 established coaches from D1 schools, and both were successful. I wouldn't have hired MA, but a lot of the fan base wanted him. Bielema had a good resume and had been successful at a school with a recruiting base similar to Arkansas.

tophawg19

look at the other schools , bama struggled till they made a great hire . Remember Shula and those years ? LSU also struggled until hiring good coaches who could recruit . even Florida and Georgia did nothing until making the right hires . Bad coaches kill recruiting . Good assistants goes a long way toward successful recruiting and winning , but they cost more money . We are anywhere between 800,000 and 1.5 million below the good SEC teams in assistant coaches pay.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jdelo77

My god some of you still don't get it with the Bobby situation ? !!!   It wasn't just the fact that he had a girl friend , He hired her for a position in which she was never qualified for , and in doing so he passed on many people who were more than qualified !
That's a lawsuit ...a big one ! That's why he was fired ..

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 03, 2017, 09:32:00 pm
Petrino should not still be here. I'm still not sure how anyone could say that he should still be here. Long has done his job here by hiring 2 established coaches from D1 schools, and both were successful. I wouldn't have hired MA, but a lot of the fan base wanted him. Bielema had a good resume and had been successful at a school with a recruiting base similar to Arkansas.

Read my comment as: if Harley Gate had not happened, he would still be here.

luke hawg

This was a bad team and we had a winning season. I keep hearing we should have won 9. I'm going to bet TCU and La Tech fans feel we should of won 5.

luke hawg

I honestly don't think it matters whole lot whose under the headset at Arkansas. In a given season, you're going to win and lose some competitive games. Your best bet is to build a team with older players redshirting most seniors then wait for an elite QB.

lakecityhog

you just said the key phrase--competitive games--- Blowing big leads and getting blown out 53-3 kinda contradicts that phrase.

luke hawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 03, 2017, 10:04:43 pm
you just said the key phrase--competitive games--- Blowing big leads and getting blown out 53-3 kinda contradicts that phrase.

I said we weren't a very good team and the Auburn game mentioned wasn't competitive. The other games just didn't end as we wanted. BIelema didn't make sprinkle drop a big pass. He didn't make Austin throw 5 picks with big leads. He didn't make Morgan fumble away a touchdown. Ohio State and FSU both got waxed this year as well. Auburn just got whipped in there bowl game. How about Ole Miss blowing huge leads to FSU and Bama. You need to take off the hog blinders and look around college football. You catch USC roar back on Penn State. The game has changed in the last 20 years.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

I don't believe we are out of line on changing coaches since coming to the SEC.  If you think about it, we've been in a flux ever since coming here.  Hatfield and Broyles got crossways and Hatfield left, leaving us to hire Crowe who didn't work out.  Broyles appointed Kines to finish Crowe's, I believe 3rd season when we lost to the Cidadel.  Kines was a decent hire but Broyles thought Ford was better.  Rumor and very likely some truth was that Broyles couldn't keep his hands out of the football team and this limited the coaches who would be willing to come here.  Nutt got the job when it was decided Ford couldn't get the job done.  Nutt was and is an idiot but he knew that to stay close to Broyles was to keep the job so he did.  Petrino did a good job as coach.  He was likely an [CENSORED] to deal with but he won.  It is likely, due to Petrino's attitude, that we would have continued to win at about the level that you could expect us to.  Long couldn't control Petrino and when he got the opportunity to can him, he did.  There is no need to call a presser to can a coach but Long did that.  The hiring of John L was brain dead.  If you knew how John L was, you should know Grandpa wouldn't work after having fire and brimstone Petrino in charge.  That alone shows Long was terrible short on experience of hiring coaches.  Then he hired BB who, on the surface had a good resume.  If you delved in to it, it had holes.  Long either didn't do enough research or didn't realize he should do research on BB.  The aloof attitude alone will nearly always cause you to not keep assistants and not train players.  In my opinion, our largest problem in the past 20+ years starts with less than stellar ADs.  ADs who gathered baggage (Broyles) and got a rep of trying to run the team from the AD position.  Then we get rid of him and get a basic beginner at the level we needed lots of knowledge and experience.  Our AD doesn't know or understand attitude and personality as it pertains to the team.  We may keep BB around a long time but he is roughly about as good as he will ever be right now for us.  He just doesn't see the necessity of rolling up his sleeves and getting his hands and mind into this program.  He believes he has assistants for all that stuff.

Arkansas history of the past 30 years, except for Lou Holtz, is that up and comers have done as well or likely better than experience at the HC positions.  Hatfield, Richardson and Sutton were basically senior up and comers when we hired them.  Ford and BB were veteran hires.  I personally would look for an up and comer who had fire in his belly and understanding in his heart and head with just the right ego.  Find that and the wins will come.

hawgon

Look at the Top 25 and the average tenure of the coaches in it, then come back and try to extol the virtues of stability.

Calling All Hogs

I don't want a coaching change until we hire an AD committed to winning which includes not promising a coach six years regardless of performance.

luke hawg

Quote from: 12247 on January 03, 2017, 10:39:15 pm
I don't believe we are out of line on changing coaches since coming to the SEC.  If you think about it, we've been in a flux ever since coming here.  Hatfield and Broyles got crossways and Hatfield left, leaving us to hire Crowe who didn't work out.  Broyles appointed Kines to finish Crowe's, I believe 3rd season when we lost to the Cidadel.  Kines was a decent hire but Broyles thought Ford was better.  Rumor and very likely some truth was that Broyles couldn't keep his hands out of the football team and this limited the coaches who would be willing to come here.  Nutt got the job when it was decided Ford couldn't get the job done.  Nutt was and is an idiot but he knew that to stay close to Broyles was to keep the job so he did.  Petrino did a good job as coach.  He was likely an [CENSORED] to deal with but he won.  It is likely, due to Petrino's attitude, that we would have continued to win at about the level that you could expect us to.  Long couldn't control Petrino and when he got the opportunity to can him, he did.  There is no need to call a presser to can a coach but Long did that.  The hiring of John L was brain dead.  If you knew how John L was, you should know Grandpa wouldn't work after having fire and brimstone Petrino in charge.  That alone shows Long was terrible short on experience of hiring coaches.  Then he hired BB who, on the surface had a good resume.  If you delved in to it, it had holes.  Long either didn't do enough research or didn't realize he should do research on BB.  The aloof attitude alone will nearly always cause you to not keep assistants and not train players.  In my opinion, our largest problem in the past 20+ years starts with less than stellar ADs.  ADs who gathered baggage (Broyles) and got a rep of trying to run the team from the AD position.  Then we get rid of him and get a basic beginner at the level we needed lots of knowledge and experience.  Our AD doesn't know or understand attitude and personality as it pertains to the team.  We may keep BB around a long time but he is roughly about as good as he will ever be right now for us.  He just doesn't see the necessity of rolling up his sleeves and getting his hands and mind into this program.  He believes he has assistants for all that stuff.

Arkansas history of the past 30 years, except for Lou Holtz, is that up and comers have done as well or likely better than experience at the HC positions.  Hatfield, Richardson and Sutton were basically senior up and comers when we hired them.  Ford and BB were veteran hires.  I personally would look for an up and comer who had fire in his belly and understanding in his heart and head with just the right ego.  Find that and the wins will come.

Dumb post..... you love the helmet too much

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: luke hawg on January 03, 2017, 11:01:02 pm

He loves the helmet to much? Loves it to much? Maybe Hoss, if you would learn to love the helmet instead of a coach, you would figure out why a huge swath of our fanbase is pissed off beyond belief.

You come running on here, with asnine post after asnine post about Bielema, love, valentines, don't leave, these fans ain't fans. Doing herce's and round offs in your excitement....and you have the gall to say that 12247 loves the helmet to much?

What in the....

PRJ

Pig In The City

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 03, 2017, 10:51:59 pm
I don't want a coaching change until we hire an AD committed to winning which includes not promising a coach six years regardless of performance.
I don't believe for one second that BB stays six years. He has a bun in the oven and a coaching career with no oxygen. At some point, he will have to cut his losses.  The lack of effort this year tells me he is emotionally half out the door already.

RME

Who would you have hired instead of Bielema? You wouldn't want a guy who had lead a Big 10 team to 3 straight Rose Bowls? I'm growing more tired of Bielema by the day, but at the time how could that NOT be considered a homerun hire?

As for "promising a coach" x amount of years regardless of performance, get used to it. It's becoming the norm. Yeah Ferentz has won some at Iowa, but look what they gave him through 2026. Look what Dave Clawson (who has won 3, 3, and 7) just got at Wake Forest through 2024. That's just two off the top of my head. You can bet there are more absurd contracts than Bielema's. Don't come back with the "well, they're Iowa and Wake Forest and we're Arkansas" argument.

Jeff Long hired arguably the best available guy at the time, who has since darn his pants. That's not Long's fault. The contract might be, but Long isn't the only guy giving out contracts like that. Don't blame the AD when the department as a whole is arguably the healthiest it has ever been.

Sooie71923

Here's something to chew on;

Arkansas football has FIRED its last 6 coaches. Frank Broyles is the last coach at Arkansas to not be fired.

Let that soak in. And you wonder why coaches aren't falling over themselves to get here? History tells them they will be fired. History tells them you can't reach the top here and you won't get the time to do it.

Arkansas football has absolutely nothing to show for it either.

Some of y'all goons want to make CBB # 7 in a row. I hope he bucks that trend. But history says no.

Arkansas is a coaching graveyard where coaches go to get fired, and most of y'all want to reinforce that perception.

I think CBB is smart enough to know when to fold 'em. Once he realizes he can't get Arkansas over that championship hump, he will move on by his own free will. I hope he succeeds here. It will take a championship, consistent trips to SECCG to change our recruiting fortunes. Once we get the players here then it's game on. Everyone saw What Robb Smith did with those 3-4  NFL draft picks.

rlamb

We could have had Butch Davis or Tommy Tuberville in the 90's& or 000's. Butch got Miami to # 2 in
01' or so and then his recruits won a National Title for Coker. Tuberville went into Bama and Florida and
0Auburn and won a lot of times

Pork Twain

Are we really?  Are we counting interim coaches in there?

I think BB should get a couple more years, because I believe that in order to build a solid team at Arkansas, pretty much the 9th best team in everything in the SEC, it takes time and patience.

Since 1991, the facts contradict the premise of the original post and based off turnover alone, Miss State should be ruling the SEC.

Alabama - 6
1990-1996 Gene Stallings (62/25)
1997-2000 Mike DuBose (24/23)
2001-2002 Dennis Franchione (17/8)
2003 Mike Price (0/0)
2003-2006 Mike Shula (10/23)
2007-present Nick Saban (64/12)

Auburn - 5
1981–1992 Pat Dye (99/39)
1993-1998 Terry Bowden (47/17)
1999-2008 Tommy Tuberville (85/40)
2009-2012 Gene Chizik (33/18)
2103-present  Gus Malzahn (34/15)

Arkansas - 6
1990-1992 Jack Crowe (9/15)
1993-1997 Danny Ford (26/30)
1998-2007 Houston Nutt (75/48)
2008-2011 Bobby Petrino (34/17)
2011-2012 JLS (4/8)
2013-present Brett Bielema (25/25)

LSU - 5
1991-1994 Curley Hallman (16/28)
1995-1999 Gerry DiNardo (32/24)
2000-2004 Nick Saban (48/16)
2005-2016 Les Miles (114/34)
2016-present Ed Orgeron (5/2)

Miss St - 3
1991-2003 Jackie Sherrill (75/75)
2004-2008 Sylvester Croom (21/38)
2008-present Dan Mullen (61/42)

Ole Miss - 7
1983-1993 Billy Brewer (68/55)
1994 Joe Lee Dunn (4/7)
1995-1998 Tommy Tubberville (25/20)
1999-2004 David Cutcliffe (44/29)
2005-2007 Ed Orgeron (10/25)
2008-2011 Houston Nutt (24/26)
2012-present Hugh Freeze (35/19)

aTm - 4
1989-2002 RC Slocum (123/47)
2003-2007 Dennis Franchione (32/28)
2008-2011 Mike Sherman (25/25)
2012-present Kevin Sumlin (42/16)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

You want an AD the reacts when the fans are unhappy that a team with everything stacked against it does not turn around quick enough?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

depressed_fan

when people bring up petrino and question his firing, still, I just ignore them. I would advise anyone else to also.

To address the O.P.; what I think will happen is college ball trending like what we see in the NFL soon. It's got to a point now in the NFL you get 2 years and if you're not in the play offs you're fired. College will probably be anyone that doesn't accumulate a winning record by year 2 is fired. I don't think the buy outs and contracts will be long term and it will be quick and easy to change.

I read an article on NFL dot com Monday night talking about all the firings. Basically the theory is they are just bringing up the up and comers before they are ready and running the supply of marketable ones dry. My guess is that will trickle down to the college game but fans are only happy the first two years of a coach anyway.  Sports is a business. When programs NFL or college start to theorize they can make more money in years 3 and 4 of a coach, just having another coach instead, b/c idiot fans think the next coach is a better coach just b/c he's a different coach, that's when we will see a lot more turn over.

Pork Twain

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 04, 2017, 07:07:04 am
when people bring up petrino and question his firing, still, I just ignore them. I would advise anyone else to also.

To address the O.P.; what I think will happen is college ball trending like what we see in the NFL soon. It's got to a point now in the NFL you get 2 years and if you're not in the play offs you're fired. College will probably be anyone that doesn't accumulate a winning record by year 2 is fired. I don't think the buy outs and contracts will be long term and it will be quick and easy to change.

I read an article on NFL dot com Monday night talking about all the firings. Basically the theory is they are just bringing up the up and comers before they are ready and running the supply of marketable ones dry. My guess is that will trickle down to the college game but fans are only happy the first two years of a coach anyway.  Sports is a business. When programs NFL or college start to theorize they can make more money in years 3 and 4 of a coach, just having another coach instead, b/c idiot fans think the next coach is a better coach just b/c he's a different coach, that's when we will see a lot more turn over.
I do find it humorous when people say stuff like, "Long chose to fire BP".  Those people also lose all credibility at that point.

Inhogswetrust

It shows we don't want to be mediocre.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoghearted

Quote from: jdelo77 on January 03, 2017, 09:37:19 pm
My god some of you still don't get it with the Bobby situation ? !!!   It wasn't just the fact that he had a girl friend , He hired her for a position in which she was never qualified for , and in doing so he passed on many people who were more than qualified !
That's a lawsuit ...a big one ! That's why he was fired ..

That is factually untrue.

She possessed the minimum qualifications for the job, i.e. education and background. She was already an employee at UA, and as a female, would be considered a 'minority' type hire. There is no law that says an employer must hire the most qualified candidate.

Do you cretins think she was plucked from the volleyball court? If a lawsuit were going to be filed, Petrino's firing would have provided no protection.

Petrino was fired for embarrassing the university with his shenanigans. The hiring was just the cherry on top.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

bob slydell

Stability is definitely the way to go. But stability for stability's sake doesn't seem like a good strategy either. Stability seems like a good strategy only if your program is progressing. If for some reason we take another step or two back next season, maybe we aren't progressing and at some point, you simply have to cut your losses. I'm rooting for the program not being in a position that makes that call necessary.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

bob slydell

Quote from: Sooie71923 on January 04, 2017, 02:13:11 am
Here's something to chew on;

Arkansas football has FIRED its last 6 coaches. Frank Broyles is the last coach at Arkansas to not be fired.

Technically speaking, that's just not a true statement.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pig In The City on January 04, 2017, 12:03:01 am
I don't believe for one second that BB stays six years. He has a bun in the oven and a coaching career with no oxygen. At some point, he will have to cut his losses.  The lack of effort this year tells me he is emotionally half out the door already.

He's definitely not into it.  However, he needs to step up and do us all a favor if another school comes knocking with a fair offer.  That's a big "if" right now.

hogcard1964

26.2Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 04, 2017, 08:08:24 am
Who wasn't fired?  Nutt?

John L. Smith, Reggie Herring, and Joe Kines were all interim coaches hired and contracted to fill a gap until a head coach could be hired.  They weren't fired.

I don't know how far back you want to go, but many people still have the mistaken belief that Hatfield was fired.  He wasn't. In fact, he had a new, improved contract extension laying on his desk awaiting his signature when he bolted for Clemson. 

Nutt was definitely fired, as well he should have been.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 04, 2017, 08:30:27 am
John L. Smith, Reggie Herring, and Joe Kines were all interim coaches hired and contracted to fill a gap until a head coach could be hired.  They weren't fired.

I don't know how far back you want to go, but many people still have the mistaken belief that Hatfield was fired.  He wasn't. In fact, he had a new, improved contract extension laying on his desk awaiting his signature when he bolted for Clemson. 

Oh ok.  Understood.

What always pis&ed me off was how U of A allowed Nutt to say he was "leaving", and yet they still paid his buy-out.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 03, 2017, 09:11:44 pm

Your revisionist history aside, IF we fired CBB right now and hired a new coach, it would be our 5th coach in 10 years. 

A program that has 5 coaches in 10 years is probably not a place that anyone worth a crap would want to come to. And it's probably not a stable program, meaning it will sink (again) quickly.

Why is Long giving Bielema such a long leash? It should be fairly obvious.

This program needs stability more than anything. It needs someone that can (and has) changed the toxic BP culture that was here. And it needs time to heal itself. And more than anything...we need to ride out the Saban tsunami.

7-6 is not ideal. It's also not far off from most predictions people had. (8-4 I think was the winner in the preseason poll.) If we had won 1 of our last 2 games, we'd have matched last year. If we had won both, we'd of finished with 9 wins, which is crazy that we came THAT close to 9 wins tbh.

Everyone desperately needs to calm down. Everyone had a bad year this year except for Bama. Literally everyone. Every coach is on the hot seat apparently. Give Bielema time. He and Long were pretty up front that they were hoping to see real, true results by year 5 or 6. Let's just see what happens.

He's recruiting as well as any coach here has, and there's a decent chance we see some coaching moves soon. I have thought since the preseason that 2017 would be a better season than 2016. Let's try and think big picture here.   

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 04, 2017, 08:08:24 am
Who wasn't fired?  Nutt?
I guess if they are being literal...I do not count interim coaches, because well they are by definition interim.

1977–1983 Lou Holtz - Fired
1984–1989 Ken Hatfield - Run off (Fired)
1990–1992 Jack Crowe - Fired
1993–1997 Danny Ford - Fired
1998–2007 Houston Nutt - Fired
2008–2011 Bobby Petrino - Fired
2012 JLS - ehh
2013-present Brett Bielema

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/theories-abound-on-hatfield-s-exit/article_7b3abc46-aa61-5fb8-8655-623c53717d49.html

hawganatic

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 04, 2017, 08:30:27 am

Nutt was also given 10 years.  Most schools would have given him about four and then started looking around for somebody better.  Definitely no other school in the country would have kept him after back to back losing seasons in years 7 and 8. 

This thread is trying to spin Arkansas as having a quick trigger on coaches.  Outside of Crowe you can't point to a single Arkansas coach that wasn't given adequate time to shape his program. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 08:42:29 am
I guess if they are being literal...

2012 JLS - we said we were going to get cigarettes but then didn't come back

hawganatic

2012 JLS - ehh

Major D1 schools, most coaches are eventually fired.  Very few have the privilege of retiring from their school, or voluntarily moving on to another position.

You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain

Redhogs

Quote from: luke hawg on January 03, 2017, 11:01:02 pm
Your logic absolutley boggles the mind, it's post after post of mindless stupidity. You must be related to the clueless windbreaker. Enjoy your boy, he's here to stay, just relax and quit justifying failure.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bob slydell

2012 JLS - ehh

Yes, "technically speaking" tends to be a literal interpretation of things. And technically speaking, both Hatfield and Nutt were not "fired".  Neither were the interim coaches.

Hogwild

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 06:50:02 am
You want an AD the reacts when the fans are unhappy that a team with everything stacked against it does not turn around quick enough?

When and how did the program get to that point? 

We used to be a top 20 program, that expected to finish the season ranked and be competitive in our conference.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on January 04, 2017, 08:54:30 am
When and how did the program get to that point? 

We used to be a top 20 program, that expected to finish the season ranked and be competitive in our conference.

How long ago are you talking about because it has not been that way since joining the sec.

I mean, Cornell used to be a top 20 program too, so did Army & Navy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 04, 2017, 08:51:59 am
Yes, "technically speaking" tends to be a literal interpretation of things. And technically speaking, both Hatfield and Nutt were not "fired".  Neither were the interim coaches.
You are really grasping or just wanting to argue.  Not sure which, don't really care.  Technically speaking the interim guys were not hired into the HC position, so therefore they could be fired from it.

Atlhogfan1

We've had 4 coaches including Bielema.  I don't count Crowe or JLS.  Nobody should. 

Ford - built a foundation and left the program better than he found it and did so from a very disadvantageous vantage point.  He didn't look like he had it in him any longer and the meddling with Frank and the OCs didn't help the motivation. 

Tuberville wanted the job.  Had rebuilt Ole Miss from sanctions and was winning there.  We passed up an experienced, proven SEC coach for Nutt.  Similar IMO to passing up Jimmy for Ken.  We willfully, White's committee this time, chose the lesser candidate.

After Nutt may have been the first time since pre facemask football where we were looking at having to hire an up and comer/assistant after Grobe and Bowden turned us down.  (Crowe was a knee jerk by Broyles.  We don't know who would have wanted the job in 90.)  Then Petrino needed a landing spot.

After the JLS debacle, for some reason(why I think he may be a poor decision maker) Bielema wanted our job. 

We don't have turnover.  5, 10, 4 and now 5 and maybe 1 or 2 more with BB.  Not unreasonable especially when you consider the 4 was not a firing due to on field performance.  And despite the unique toughness of the job due to the recruiting base, the job still ends up being somewhat attractive to coaches who have had head coaching success. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DLUXHOG

ahhhh.... but you didn't say, or maybe you didn't notice, we've been hitting flea markets and garage sales for coaching candidates........ and, we simply aren't paying what Alabama, OU, OSU, USC, etc.. pay their 5* recruits to commit to their schools (full story at 8 ).............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)