Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Low: The current state of football affairs in Texas

Started by jbcarol, April 23, 2015, 09:54:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  21h 21 hours ago

Could anybody have predicted the current state of football affairs in Texas a decade ago? My column: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12737468/baylor-bears-texas-longhorns-show-how-much-changed-lone-state-state-10-years ...

QuoteWACO, Texas -- Imagine the incredulous looks you would have drawn a decade ago had you been brazen enough to forecast the current football landscape in the state of Texas...

Think about it. The 10-year anniversary of Texas' 2005 national championship season is approaching...

Making the dynamic within the state even more intriguing is that Texas A&M has gone off and done its own thing. The Aggies bolted for the SEC following the 2011 season, and fourth-year coach Kevin Sumlin, by his own admission, is more concerned with navigating the SEC West than changing the landscape in Texas.

But when it comes to recruiting within the state's borders, that's a battle raging as fiercely as it ever has. The Aggies have something to sell the others don't, which is staying home and playing your college football in the SEC.

"We've hit that pretty hard, and look at our scheduling," said Sumlin, who has signed the No. 1 player in the state each of the last two years. "We're playing Arizona State this year, then home and home with UCLA, and home and home with Colorado. So we're keeping our brand coast to coast."

The only brand Art Briles is concerned with is the state of Texas, and his 20 years as a Hall of Fame high school coach here have paid dividends for the Bears. Of the 95 players on Baylor's spring roster, 81 played high school football in the state...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

"My sense is with the 12th Man – we've got new friends," A&M Chancellor John Sharp said, according to The Houston Chronicle. Those new friends he is referring to reside in the SEC West. Apparently it is enough to fill any void previously filled by Texas on the schedule.

Quote"That would be a decision made by regents ... (some) day," Sharp said. "We haven't had any more discussions about that."

And that is the problem. The people who truly matter with having this discussion continue to avoid each other, either out of pride or spite or whatever reason you want to come up with...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp: No plans for A&M-Texas football for foreseeable future -- & regents' decision: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/am-chancellor-no-plans-for-texas-am-texas-football-for-foreseeable-future/ ...

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  3h 3 hours ago

It's a shame the head coaches on both sides have more sense than the administrators in the whole Texas-Texas A&M scheduling debate.

Matt Hayes @Matt_HayesSN  ·  24h 24 hours ago

Charlie Strong admits 'I cannot fail' at Texas in uniquely transcendent time http://dlvr.it/9ZBk1J

jbcarol

Matthew WatkinsVerified account ‏@MWatkinsTrib
Good morning from the Austin Club, where @evanasmith is about to interview @tamusystem Chancellor John Sharp. #ttevents

Sharp on UT-A&M football: "The great thing about playing us is that you can get on real TV when you play us."#ttevents

UT president and chancellor weren't interested in playing football, he said. #ttevents

Sharp: "Bowen Loftin left of his own will." Sharp says its in his agreement with Loftin to say Loftin wasn't fired. #ttevents
6:47 AM - 7 May 2015

DeltaBoy

Texas is in a fight to regain it top dog status in the State !  Baylor and TCU done stole their Thunder.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum @finebaum  ·  May 6

"Texas is probably the fourth best program in the state" - @kbohls Listen LIVE: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=finebaum ...

jbcarol

A&M chancellor rips Texas and Longhorn Network

QuoteUntil Texas and Texas A&M finally get back to playing football against each other, the annual, if not monthly, topic of when they will revive the rivalry will continue to pop up with no progress. According to Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp, A&M has gone to Texas and asked if there is any interest in picking up the series, but that question was met with a "no."

Which led Sharpe to take some shots at his rivals in Austin.

"I mean, we did go to them. We asked them to play," Sharp said in an interview with the Texas Tribune (via The Dallas Morning News). "I will say there is less enthusiasm among the Aggie network now than there was back then. We have new friends and we like playing LSU and we like playing these folks. We're hopeful that sometime in the future there will be a bowl game that we're able to play in, you know, if [Texas] gets there. But the great thing about playing us is that you can get on real TV if you play us."

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Brent Zwerneman retweeted Mike Finger

Texas's fellow Big 12 members must love reading sentiments like this. #AllInThisNotTogether

Mike FingerVerified account ‏@mikefinger

Asked Patterson if A&M's SEC deal is better than UT's LHN deal: "Do you want 1/14 of a few more households, or 100% of what we've got?"
10:18 AM - 17 May 2015

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 52m52 minutes ago

Ten rivalry games we want to see http://es.pn/1QEYdrE

QuoteA&M-Texas

This rivalry, which started in 1894, was played every season from 1915 to 2011, with 118 meetings making it the third longest in college football. Each program taunts the other in its fight song, so you'd think that rates the rivalry as important to both parties -- a huge part of the very fabric of a state that spends a lot of time bragging about its fabric. Texas athletic director Steve Patterson, in what some might uncharitably term a tone-deaf moment, said last year that this suddenly dormant rivalry is, "not at the top of my list. I'm really more focused on how we grow the footprint of the department." Because the footprint of the athletic department is so much cooler than, like, a meeting of traditional state rivals who can't stand each other.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 14h14 hours ago

Wow. The 2015 cover of Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

I am to the point where Texas and A&M, if they ever do play again, shouldn't meet in some meaningless bowl game. Only CFP or non-conf.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 2h2 hours ago

Cecil Hurt retweeted Taylor Gaspar

There's a decision that's about 3 seasons too late RT @DanWolken: Texa$

Taylor Gaspar ‏@Taylor_Gaspar

#Longhorns will sell beer and wine during 2015 home football games.
1:45 PM - 17 Jun 2015

Inhogswetrust

I truly hope Charlie Strong succeeds. Too bad though he's at Tejas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 07, 2015, 03:06:08 pm
Texas is in a fight to regain it top dog status in the State !  Baylor and TCU done stole their Thunder.

Only in the W/L factor. Not in support.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

husker71

Easier for those ^^^ and TAM to hold on to that status or for UT to regain the top spot??

jbcarol

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 16h16 hours ago

Texas officials point out to me that DKR remains a gun-free zone this year. The campus-carry law exempts sports venues.

I'm getting a huge kick out of the "It's about time" and "I'm gonna need it" responses on Twitter about beer sales at Texas football games.

Texas AD Steve Patterson on beer sales: "You'll see some soft drink sales go down. There'll probably be a few fewer hip flasks in boots."

jbcarol

Chip Brown retweeted
William Wilkerson ‏@WVWilkerson 3h3 hours ago

MUST-READ: #Longhorns AD Steve Patterson facing heat. In-depth reporting via @ChipBrownHD: http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat ...

jbcarol

Gabe Bock ‏@GabeBock 3h3 hours ago

A&M chancellor Sharp on alcohol at events: "Our athletic program has not reached the point where we require the numbing effects of alcohol."

jbcarol

Hook'em ‏@thelonghorns12 15h15 hours ago

@ClowESPN Our Chancellor hasn't said a word. He's busy doing his job.

jbcarol

Former Longhorns QB Chris Simms says he received $100 handshakes at Texas

Quote"They didn't pay me, but there may have been cash going around to some other players," Simms said yesterday on CBS Sports Radio. "I'm not going to deny that. I may have gotten a few $100 handshakes every now and then to sign some autographs for alumni.

"I don't care how rich your upbringing was. Yes, I grew up with a silver spoon, but if you give me a few extra $100 as a college kid, that's great."

Sims is the son of former NFL quarterback and current NFL analyst Phil Simms, which is why the younger Simms acknowledged he grew up with a silver spoon.

QuoteHe too was a spoiled brat. He was nicknamed by everyone "The Golden Child" because that's what HE thought he was. Funny how the smaller, more competitive QB named Major Applewhite, with less credentials, came to lead them to a Big 12 Championship. Funny how that works isn't it?

Inhogswetrust

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman Jul 29 College Station, TX

Kevin Sumlin on playing Texas again: Everybody wants that ... but it's not going to happen anytime soon: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/07/countdown-to-camp-kevin-sumlin-on-playing-texas-everybody-wants-that-but-its-not-going-to-happen-anytime-soon/ ...

DeltaBoy

The State Legislature is giving them 2  more years or they will tell both we are freezing boths money till you pay.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN Aug 1

Not that preseason polls matter, but it's still odd to see blue bloods like Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State and Texas not ranked.

jbcarol

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS  Aug 2
Just got this from a Texas source on the report the football team will wear a black jersey this season. "No truth to that."

UTexas Equipment ‏@UTexasEquipment  Aug 2

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 12h12 hours ago

Charlie Strong's not a big talker, but he likes the talk he's hearing from the Longhorns' younger players. http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/101661/charlie-strong-sees-attitude-change-with-qb-heard-young-longhorns ...

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 10h10 hours ago Boise, ID

Charlie Strong has proven he can coach if given time, but this type of performance is unacceptable by any standard, Texas or anywhere.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 17, 2015, 05:58:47 pm
I truly hope Charlie Strong succeeds. Too bad though he's at Tejas.

I truly hope Texas fails.   Too bad Strong took that job.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Max Olson ‏@max_olson  7h7 hours ago
Steve Patterson on Charlie Strong: "Obviously nobody's happy with how the game went. He's probably less happy than just about everybody."

DeltaBoy

Patterson has upset too many of the old guard and if Charlie doesn't start winning both Patterson and Strong could be GONE!

jbcarol

Chris Low retweeted
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 17h17 hours ago

Strong was asked if he slept on this decision. Answers no, says he hasn't slept. Looks that way, too.

jbcarol

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 19h19 hours ago

Best selling college teams @Walmart stores across US in August: 1. Bama, 2. Ohio St, 3. Arkansas, 4. Georgia, 5. Texas, 6. Tennessee.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS Sep 9

Ran into Texas LB Dalton Santos, now on a scooter. Says his season is over. Had surgery to repair injured ankle but in good spirits.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: jbcarol on May 07, 2015, 10:43:46 am
Sharp on UT-A&M football: "The great thing about playing us is that you can get on real TV when you play us."#ttevents
BURRRRRRRN

PP

jbcarol

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ 12h12 hours ago

Textanic....don't watch if you're a Texas fan but this is classic. 🏈🏈🏈🏈

http://youtu.be/BCIYIwGrhOs

jbcarol

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownHD 1m1 minute ago

Patterson's marketing ideas & no-nonsense approach helped him get #Texas AD job - and proved his undoing. Ran #UT like owner of a pro team.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 4h4 hours ago

Why not Mack Brown as AD at Texas?

jbcarol

Ted Miller ‏@TedMillerRK 2h2 hours ago

Ted Miller retweeted Kirk Bohls

To shock of few. Candidates: former West Virginia AD Oliver Luck, TCU's Chris Del Conte, Oklahoma's Joe Castiglione

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 8h8 hours ago

ESPN created an entire network that only has to cover Texas athletics and they never break any actual news about Texas athletics.

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

Kirk Bohls Verified account
‏@kbohls

The Longhorn football coaches had no idea Patterson was about to be fired. Calling media for information.

jbcarol

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 30m30 minutes ago

Longtime Texas donor Red McCombs delighted that Greg Fenves parted with Steve Patterson "and put that issue to rest."

Red McCombs on Fenves: "Once he decided that he was going to do that, he showed great leadership in doing so."

As for whether Mack Brown should be the new Texas AD, Red McCombs said. "Oh, I don't think that makes any sense at all."

And McCombs had high hopes for new Texas starting QB Jerrod Heard: "God, he is an exciting guy to watch, and that's what you have to have."

jbcarol

Bianchi writes: That mammoth intercollegiate athletic conglomerate better known as the Texas Longhorns fired its athletics director earlier this week after only 22 months on the job.

Unofficial reason for dismissal: Arrogance.

QuoteUniversity president Greg Fenves told reporters after AD Steve Patterson's ouster : "If I had to put it in a nutshell, we're concerned about our fans and how they view the program."

Sadly, arrogance has become an epidemic in college football and not just in Texas, where Patterson attempted to suck as much money as he could from the pockets of loyal fans by raising season-ticket prices up to 21 percent after the Longhorns went 6-7 last season. The announced crowd of 86,458 for Saturday's home opener against Rice was well below the stadium capacity of 100,119.

Everything may be bigger in the State of Texas — including ego and hubris — but don't kid yourself: I've heard local fans from Florida, Florida State and even UCF complain about how arrogance has infiltrated their programs...

Maybe someday college football will implode from the weight of its own self-importance, but until then it is exploding because of the proliferation of cable television.

As somebody wise once said, "Stupidity combined with arrogance and a huge ego will get you a long way."

Translation: Hook 'em Horns!

jbcarol

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 1h1 hour ago Georgia, USA

The Steve Patterson era at Texas: 'He just put us through hell' http://es.pn/1NI2LAH

jbcarol

jbcarol