Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Self

Started by 12247, March 23, 2017, 07:08:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tulsa World has a good story about Bill Self in today's edition.  Okie State, who just lost their Head Basketball coach would love for Self to come home and coach them.  Likely never to happen as they couldn't or wouldn't afford him.  The story brings up 2 or 3 points worth mentioning here.

1.  Bill Self has a huge work ethic.   2.  Bill Self will change his style and schemes to fit the players he has at any given time.  3.  Bill Self is humble

Self has won as a Head Coach at Oral Roberts University---Tulsa University---Illinois and Kansas.  Self uses old school methods to win and win and win and win------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Porkleone

mizzouman

Quote from: 12247 on March 23, 2017, 07:08:50 am
The Tulsa World has a good story about Bill Self in today's edition.  Okie State, who just lost their Head Basketball coach would love for Self to come home and coach them.  Likely never to happen as they couldn't or wouldn't afford him.  The story brings up 2 or 3 points worth mentioning here.

1.  Bill Self has a huge work ethic.   2.  Bill Self will change his style and schemes to fit the players he has at any given time.  3.  Bill Self is humble

Self has won as a Head Coach at Oral Roberts University---Tulsa University---Illinois and Kansas.  Self uses old school methods to win and win and win and win------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Self is self centered.  His last name fits him.  He will do ANYTHING to win a ball game.  He has had big time players who could barely read.  Kid 'graduates' from a high school in Texas who could even pass an elementary algebra class and had to have the teacher pass him anyway.  He had someone take his ACT for him.  Then, spent 3 years at ku and somehow passed all his classes there.

There are far more stories about these kinds of things, but since it's ku, he can get away with it.  He couldn't at Illinois so he left. 

Just look at his current team.  Look at the Josh Jackson story.  This kid would not be playing if he went to another school. 

factchecker

12247's reaction when the Razorbacks made the NCAA tournament:

Nothing makes him more mad than to see Coach Anderson (or any Razorback) be successful.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Another Bill Self principle-

Art Briles type of respecting women:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/josh-jackson-allegedly-told-kansas-womens-player-he-would-beat-her-ass-during-december-incident-according-to-affidavit-194742455.html

QuoteKansas forward Josh Jackson allegedly threatened a Kansas women's basketball player with physical violence while vandalizing her car in December, according to an affidavit released by a district court Thursday.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Smithian

Five posts in and no one has brought up a "What if?" related to the coaching search after Broyles fired Nolan.

mizzouman

Quote from: Smithian on March 23, 2017, 08:05:30 am
Five posts in and no one has brought up a "What if?" related to the coaching search after Broyles fired Nolan.
He would be as successful at UA as he is at ku because he could not get away with the same things at UA.

Rainmaker203

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 07:56:15 am
Bill Self is self centered.  His last name fits him.  He will do ANYTHING to win a ball game.  He has had big time players who could barely read.  Kid 'graduates' from a high school in Texas who could even pass an elementary algebra class and had to have the teacher pass him anyway.  He had someone take his ACT for him.  Then, spent 3 years at ku and somehow passed all his classes there.

There are far more stories about these kinds of things, but since it's ku, he can get away with it.  He couldn't at Illinois so he left. 

Just look at his current team.  Look at the Josh Jackson story.  This kid would not be playing if he went to another school.

The school you root for undermines your credibility quite a bit with this, but there's a lot of truth in this.

Also, less than 2 weeks ago it was revealed the lawyers in the Josh Jackson case tried to pay the girl's dad off so he'd hush up.

No matter to Kansas.  1-game suspension for their first round Big 12 Tournament game against TCU (which they lost), and now acting as if nothing happened.  Worst part is, there are probably ignorant neutral fans that will actually be rooting for them.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Smithian on March 23, 2017, 08:05:30 am

You just did. Thanks...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

mizzouman

Quote from: Rainmaker203 on March 23, 2017, 08:09:33 am
The school you root for undermines your credibility quite a bit with this, but there's a lot of truth in this.

Also, less than 2 weeks ago it was revealed the lawyers in the Josh Jackson case tried to pay the girl's dad off so he'd hush up.

No matter to Kansas.  1-game suspension for their first round Big 12 Tournament game against TCU (which they lost), and now acting as if nothing happened.  Worst part is, there are probably ignorant neutral fans that will actually be rooting for them.
True I do have a little disdain for ku, but facts are facts. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 08:02:30 am
12247's reaction when the Razorbacks made the NCAA tournament:

Nothing makes him more mad than to see Coach Anderson (or any Razorback) be successful.

Love the melt!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bkjbearcat

Bill Self is self centered.  His last name fits him.  He will do ANYTHING to win a ball game. He has had big time players who could barely read.  Kid 'graduates' from a high school in Texas who could even pass an elementary algebra class and had to have the teacher pass him anyway.  He had someone take his ACT for him.  Then, spent 3 years at ku and somehow passed all his classes there.

I quit reading after that. Because I personally would love to have a HC that will try to win or get the five star player by any means necessary.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Inhogswetrust

Someone from Mizzou dogging a KU coach..........that's about as much given as an aggie dogging a horn or a tiger dogging a tider. 90% of coaches that ever coached in college at the top level had or has players that can barely read and write and would do anything to win a ballgame including those at Mizzou.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 08:16:00 am
True I do have a little disdain for ku, but facts are facts. 

And the fact is most coaches are no different including those your beloved Mizzou has had over the years. I like you and Columbia but don't go getting all high and mighty because Mizzou is no different than any other program.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ottopit

Quote from: Rainmaker203 on March 23, 2017, 08:09:33 am

I'll be rooting for them if they play Kentucky

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 08:59:30 am
And the fact is most coaches are no different including those your beloved Mizzou has had over the years. I like you and Columbia but don't go getting all high and mighty because Mizzou is no different than any other program.

Quinn Snyder and Frank Haith come to mind.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

GuvHog

I remember an incident that happened between Self and Nolan Richardson that makes me believe you are correct about him. After one of Nolan's better Hog teams had beaten Oral Roberts, one of Self's best players there decided to transfer to Arkansas and Self asked Nolan to talk him into staying at ORU. Nolan spent a great deal of time doing that and convinced the player to stay there but right after the player informed Self that he was staying, Self skipped town for another job. To say Nolan was pissed off at Self is putting it mildly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 08:57:04 am
Someone from Mizzou dogging a KU coach..........that's about as much given as an aggie dogging a horn or a tiger dogging a tider. 90% of coaches that ever coached in college at the top level had or has players that can barely read and write and would do anything to win a ballgame including those at Mizzou.
This goes beyond that.  I'm talking about flat out disregard for the rules and being protected.  It's like the mafia there and Self is made of Teflon. 

mizzouman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2017, 09:17:21 am
Quinn Snyder and Frank Haith come to mind.
You have no idea.  Snyder got fired and Haith left.  Self, well, he's still there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 09:38:54 am
You have no idea.  Snyder got fired and Haith left.  Self, well, he's still there.

Your basketball coaching legend was not a paragon of rules virtue. I know players that were highly recruited by him. And as you know I worked in Columbia when he was still the coach. Let's just say some of your own people told me stuff. As I said Mizzou is NO different than any other program.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 09:38:04 am
This goes beyond that.  I'm talking about flat out disregard for the rules and being protected.  It's like the mafia there and Self is made of Teflon.

Then IF you have any proof report it to the NCAA. Until you get that proof then it is simply sour grapes on someone that considers them a hated rival. KU has been in trouble with the NCAA before so to think they are "protected" is wrong.

colavito

The good folks at KU have structured Self's compensation package where he receives close to four million a year in salary and comps and pays a whopping 0.08% income tax through structured shell corporations set up by the university.  Trump thought he was smart.  Don't think Self will be leaving KU any time soon.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 09:45:13 am
Your basketball coaching legend was not a paragon of rules virtue. I know players that were highly recruited by him. And as you know I worked in Columbia when he was still the coach. Let's just say some of your own people told me stuff. As I said Mizzou is NO different than any other program.
Never said it was different.  Just saying that Snyder and Haith are no longer at Mizzou but Self is still at ku

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 09:46:54 am
Then IF you have any proof report it to the NCAA. Until you get that proof then it is simply sour grapes on someone that considers them a hated rival. KU has been in trouble with the NCAA before so to think they are "protected" is wrong.
Proof is there, NCAA has it, but nothing ever sticks. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 10:08:08 am
Proof is there, NCAA has it, but nothing ever sticks.

Then it isn't enough proof or they have none. Besides show us the proof you say they have otherwise it's pure speculation and simply a rival talking smack.

woodhog14

Quote from: GuvHog on March 23, 2017, 09:26:26 am
I remember an incident that happened between Self and Nolan Richardson that makes me believe you are correct about him. After one of Nolan's better Hog teams had beaten Oral Roberts, one of Self's best players there decided to transfer to Arkansas and Self asked Nolan to talk him into staying at ORU. Nolan spent a great deal of time doing that and convinced the player to stay there but right after the player informed Self that he was staying, Self skipped town for another job. To say Nolan was pissed off at Self is putting it mildly.

I actually used to work with this ORU player you are talking about. He told me that most of the players hated Bill Self and that Self was all about himself. He also said Self wears a toupee, which I could totally tell he does before he pointed that out to me. LOL!

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 10:11:36 am
Then it isn't enough proof or they have none. Besides show us the proof you say they have otherwise it's pure speculation and simply a rival talking smack.
Do research.  Google is your friend.  You'll find all kinds of stuff out there.  I'll help.  Darnell Jackson, Julian Wright, JR Giddens, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, etc., etc., etc. 

If you want, I gotta whole article on it.

Slater

Quote from: 12247 on March 23, 2017, 07:08:50 am

Humble is not a word that describes him from the two interactions I have had at coaching clinics.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Slater

Self cheated pretty regularly at Illinois, same story for KU. Not a fan
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 10:11:36 am

There was proof that North Carolina invented fake classes just for athletes. What ever happened to them.

Self is a scumbag. "Rallying around" Josh Jackson is pretty bad when you realize how he reacted to one of his kids dunking at the end of a game. Threw a fit at the press conference and verbally savaged the kid in public. Would it surprise anyone to know that the kid wasn't in the regular rotation?

If you are starter it's ok to menace girls,  but if you are a bench player don't score as time runs out.

Hawg Red

Self is a great coach and seems like a great guy when on camera, but I am less than impressed with a lot of off-the-court stuff that's gone on under his watch at KU.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 12:42:44 pm
Self is a great coach and seems like a great guy when on camera, but I am less than impressed with a lot of off-the-court stuff that's gone on under his watch at KU.

You said something about Vick in another thread. What Sid he do?

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 23, 2017, 12:47:04 pm
You said something about Vick in another thread. What Sid he do?

Apparently beat up some girl in 2015. I read multiple punches to the arm and kicked her in the face.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Slater on March 23, 2017, 12:02:05 pm
Self cheated pretty regularly at Illinois, same story for KU. Not a fan

Any proof of him cheating? Again...I'd love to have a HC that would win and get the five star player by any means necessary. In stead of seeing them go to your hated rivals. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2017, 12:55:42 pm
Any proof of him cheating? Again...I'd love to have a HC that would win and get the five star player by any means necessary. In stead of seeing them go to your hated rivals.

I want to win as much as anyone, but I also relish the feeling of knowing that we're doing it "the right way."

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 01:07:20 pm
I want to win as much as anyone, but I also relish the feeling of knowing that we're doing it "the right way."

And by all accounts KU is doing it The Right Way. Their not on the NCAA's radar and their recent troubles are not getting much local press let alone national. Sounds like the right way to me.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
And by all accounts KU is doing it The Right Way. Their not on the NCAA's radar and their recent troubles are not getting much local press let alone national. Sounds like the right way to me.

I feel like I've just been slimed after reading several of your posts.

Jim Harris

Quote from: mizzouman on March 23, 2017, 11:39:42 am
Do research.  Google is your friend.  You'll find all kinds of stuff out there.  I'll help.  Darnell Jackson, Julian Wright, JR Giddens, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, etc., etc., etc. 

If you want, I gotta whole article on it.

Duke is the same way. Google Chris Duhon and Times-Picayune and NCAA
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mizzouman

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 23, 2017, 01:46:16 pm
Duke is the same way. Google Chris Duhon and Times-Picayune and NCAA
Yup, I agree.  Trajon Langdon..........

Inhogswetrust

Can anyone name one program that is 100% clean. All are dirty to some degree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 02:24:28 pm

How can you say that?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 02:24:28 pm

Some programs are better at hiding it then others. Everyone in the '60s thought UCLA was the cleanest program there. In reality, it wasn't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 02:27:08 pm
How can you say that?

By knowing people over the years involved with some programs AND the fact there are none IIRC in a P5 conference that hasn't been in trouble at one time or the other.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2017, 02:38:34 pm
Some programs are better at hiding it then others. Everyone in the '60s thought UCLA was the cleanest program there. In reality, it wasn't.

Very few programs in the 60's were clean. As a matter of fact more were dirtier back then than today I'd bet.

HardingHog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2017, 08:35:44 am
I quit reading after that. Because I personally would love to have a HC that will try to win or get the five star player by any means necessary.

Glad you aren't in charge of anything that involves the University of Arkansas. And clearly you must not have daughter's or you wouldn't make such asinine statements. Well, maybe you would.