Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 new coaches question

Started by Rzback, February 11, 2017, 06:04:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

Why did our two new coaches leave the pros to coach in college? How does the pay compare?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Sooie71923

Depends on which hogville faction answers, but I'll take a guess:

If they're excellent coaches; they've waited their whole lives to coach the Razorbacks and couldn't wait to jump on any offer from Arkansas.

If they're average coaches; theyre looking for a career boost and their next move. Chasing $$$. CBB and JLs fault.

If they're below average coaches; all CBBs fault. He just wants his buddies here with him. He doesn't care about recruiting or the fans feelings. All he cares about is being on tv. 100% CBBs fault. He's trying to sabatoge Arkansas's reputation! No coach wants to work for him.

lefty08

Assistant position coaches and quality control coaches are at the bottom of the coaching pool in the NFL. It doesn't mean they aren't good coaches, anyone who can reach that level knows what they are doing. It's not shocking that those guys would be looking for opportunities where they can find them. I'd be willing to bet college position coaches actually make more than those positions in the NFL do as well, but I don't care enough to look it up

Congrats coach Walker, let's do this thing!
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rzback on February 11, 2017, 06:04:09 am
Why did our two new coaches leave the pros to coach in college? How does the pay compare?

Don't assume everyone leaves a job over pay or is willing to take a pay cut for a new job sometimes not related to pay.
I once had two job offers at the same time. I took the lesser paying one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nchogg

Like the optimism with most on our new coaches. Give them a chance to coach a game before throwing them under the bus.

ricepig

Quote from: Rzback on February 11, 2017, 06:04:09 am

Most generally, for opportunities to better their careers. As far as pay, it's comparable, but the one thing the NFL offers that colleges don't, is the retirement plan. I'm not sure how long they have to work to be vested in it, but if you are approaching that number, it's worth a lot more to stay in the league. Neither of these guys has that number, so I assume it wasn't a big decision to return to the college game.

jm

It Is interesting. BB seems to like guys with some NFL experience. I don't know if it helps recruiting or not. Is NFL experience of greater value than recently built relationships and verifiable recent recruiting success?
I cannot think of another program that recruits coaches in the same manner that become a trend with CBB.

Biggus Piggus

It's obvious that Bielema wanted to add energetic young coaches who would put their all into recruiting. If you hire older, more experienced "name" assistants, they get to the point where they feel entitled to not work as hard at recruiting.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 11, 2017, 10:25:21 am
It's obvious that Bielema wanted to add energetic young coaches who would put their all into recruiting. If you hire older, more experienced "name" assistants, they get to the point where they feel entitled to not work as hard at recruiting.

Frank used to do that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Al Boarland

It will be interesting to see if they can pull in some elite talent. Looking around at the coaching changes being made in CFBamd specifically the SEC there is a major focus on recruiting.

The_Bionic_Pig

I actually believe Coach B was more focused on getting this thing right (instillation of the 3-4) than recruiting.

If it was just bolstering recruiting Charlie Partridge would have been introduced many weeks ago.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

sowmonella

College ball offers more job security and more overall opportunities.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 11, 2017, 06:43:27 am
Depends on which hogville faction answers, but I'll take a guess:

If they're excellent coaches; they've waited their whole lives to coach the Razorbacks and couldn't wait to jump on any offer from Arkansas.

If they're average coaches; theyre looking for a career boost and their next move. Chasing $$$. CBB and JLs fault.

If they're below average coaches; all CBBs fault. He just wants his buddies here with him. He doesn't care about recruiting or the fans feelings. All he cares about is being on tv. 100% CBBs fault. He's trying to sabatoge Arkansas's reputation! No coach wants to work for him.

WOW...sounds like the last General Election...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Mo_Better_Hogs

Excellent. I'll take that.