Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Signing Day at the Rock" story

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 03, 2017, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:26:38 pm
No. 1, my son wouldn't have dared ask it or anything else, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Second, I'm just reporting what people who know the father and were sitting nearby say. I also understand two UA coaches were sitting at the the same table as these boys who asked questions. I guess these folks are just taking up for the dad and you know better.
The boy is apparently about as die-hard an 11-year-old Hog fan as any other his age and, these people say, was asking what he thought was a pertinent question. Obviously among myraid messageboarders, it wasn't, or the place was inappropriate for it.
I wonder if his dad is on here. Maybe he could give his story. And, like I said, maybe the kid should join Hogville. An 11-year-old would fit in perfectly.

So, did you talk to the two UA coaches, what were their thoughts on it? A good journalist gets all sides of a story before proceeding ahead, correct?

31to6

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 12:34:34 pm
For all we know, it's the same celebration when every recruit commits to being a Hog, only difference is there isn't camera crew there watching them watch on live TV.
The next time we get a signing day announcement on national TV for an out-of-state 2-star, with two of our rivals' hats on the table, who has NFL size and speed and offers from 28 P5 schools representing both BIGs, the ACC (and Notre Dame), the P12 and the SEC I'm sure he will make a big deal about that as well.

Dumb tweet.

Timfromlittlerockhog

They are lucky it wasn't my 12 year old daughter asking questions. Because she would be saying why can't you win as well as Bobby did ? My dad says he's a better coach than you. Or why don't you go back to Wisconsin, oh wait they are better without you. Something along those lines. Kids hear their parents. Especially those with fanatics for parents. Like those of you who post here.

There are fanatics who will back Bielema regardless of what he does. In fact, if he pulled the exact same thing Bobby did even with his abysmal record he would still have supporters here. Its just the way it is. For my money Bobby was worth more than Jeff. And Jeff should have been the one to go. But now that we have been forced to accept a subpar coach and a subpar record all we can do is hope that CBB will somehow get it done despite his many shortcomings and flaws as a head coach. And honestly I hope he does. But if he doesn't its time to get rid of Jeff and bring in a coach that has a pair. And I'm not talking about flip flops...  :razorback:

colbs

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:29:46 pm
It doesn't matter what YOU think, it's what the kid thinks, no? Several people around the boy say that, especially when the event was over, he felt like he was ridiculed for his question and had done something wrong and didn't know why it hard turned out that way. I hope you were there to tell him, "Suck up it, kid, you weren't ridiculed. Join Hogville if you want to see what ridicule is like."
Haha ok.  I'm just telling you what actually happened.  Again if you would have been there then maybe you would know how BB relayed his message.  If BB would have been mean about it I would agree but he wasn't.

31to6

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 03, 2017, 01:33:08 pm
They are lucky it wasn't my 12 year old daughter asking questions. Because she would be saying why can't you win as well as Bobby did ? My dad says he's a better coach than you. Or why don't you go back to Wisconsin, oh wait they are better without you. Something along those lines. Kids hear their parents. Especially those with fanatics for parents. Like those of you who post here.
So what you are saying is that you are the kind of parent who would encourage your daughter to take an event that is intended to celebrate the new recruits (it is more their day than his) and bring in a bunch of negativity?

Anyone should ask him hard questions. He's paid a lot of money to take the heat when he's underperforming. But doing it at a recruiting event shows a lack of class as well as a short-sightedness. Recruiting MUST BE sunshine and moonbeams.

You don't talk about product recalls when you are selling someone a new car.

Peter Porker

Quote from: colbs on February 03, 2017, 01:27:01 pm
He said it jokingly not in a mean spirited way.  If you would have been there would have realized that.  AZhog is one of BB's biggest critics and he is saying there is nothing to it.

Why in the world would a reporter that covers the Razorbacks be at an event about the Razorbacks? He clearly had more important things to do....like get secondhand news of the event from twitter.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

oldhog63

When I see responses, tweets, articles, etc such as these from a so called journalist such as Jim Harris, it always reminds me of the Man in the Arena quote from Teddy Roosevelt. I just put Jim in that same category of cold and timid souls and ignore. I'll put my stock in those that have actually competed and accomplished and not those that just watch and criticize.

azhog10

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 01:31:13 pm
So, did you talk to the two UA coaches, what were their thoughts on it? A good journalist gets all sides of a story before proceeding ahead, correct?
OF course not. Quality journalists get what they hear out there as quick as they can to beat the other guy......

Jim Harris

Quote from: colbs on February 03, 2017, 01:27:01 pm
He said it jokingly not in a mean spirited way.  If you would have been there would have realized that.  AZhog is one of BB's biggest critics and he is saying there is nothing to it.

Look, I believe you. I have seen enough of Bielema to know how he reacts to something like that. My opinion of it doesn't matter. I'm not even giving you an opinion of it. I'm telling you there were people there who DID NOT TAKE IT the way you are saying. And that is fine. There were 400 or so people there (about a third of the crowd from last year, btw) and I'm sure there are 400 versions. Some were not positive. Yours is. Nothing is wrong with that.
When Bielema first arrived and spoke at a Razorback Club deal, that if you compared his Big Ten record to Saban's (and you know they didn't coach against each other or at the same time), CBB's was better. It's fact. And some in the crowd loved it. And one reporter from Benton ran off and wrote a story that somehow made it all the way back to Alabama, made out as if CBB was bragging he was a better coach than Saban. And folks there said, "He said what??!" And Bret, to his credit, was saying, "I thought these club meetings are off the record, and for the fans."
Everybody will hear some version. If I don't, I'll try to ask around and see what the consensus is. Doesn't sound like much to write a story about, though. There won't be a "Bielema chastises poorly raised little Hog brat-fan" from me. (smiley)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Peter Porker

There are fanatics who will back Bielema regardless of what he does. In fact, if he pulled the exact same thing Bobby did even with his abysmal record he would still have supporters here. Its just the way it is. For my money Bobby was worth more than Jeff. And Jeff should have been the one to go. But now that we have been forced to accept a subpar coach and a subpar record all we can do is hope that CBB will somehow get it done despite his many shortcomings and flaws as a head coach. And honestly I hope he does. But if he doesn't its time to get rid of Jeff and bring in a coach that has a pair. And I'm not talking about flip flops...  :razorback:

Does she have to drive when you have 40 too many?

Edit: that is wrong for me to post.

You are very much like many other posters here. Fire CBB and give CMA a lifetime contract. so odd.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

wildturkey8

A public figure should never assume he/she is off the record when speaking to any gathering of people.  Ask Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton.

azhog10

It doesn't matter what YOU think, it's what the kid thinks, no? Several people around the boy say that, especially when the event was over, he felt like he was ridiculed for his question and had done something wrong and didn't know why it hard turned out that way. I hope you were there to tell him, "Suck up it, kid, you weren't ridiculed. Join Hogville if you want to see what ridicule is like."
You are right. When my 3 year old gets upset because someone didn't give him their ice cream remind me to make sure to let them know they weren't nice to him because my son is upset that he can't have their ice cream.......Glad you are doing this over second hand information, no really third hand information about a boy who thinks he got his feelings hurt.

Again, any questions sent out to the U of A about this?

SDZ_Hog

If you have a kid locked up and watch his press conference its probably ho-hum but if you are up against Florida for a kid whether he is a two or three star you are probably going to give out some high-fives.   I'd like to see the video of the coaching staff watching the Mclellion presser if they knew Florida was involved up until Tuesday night. Specially after Putu.   

factchecker

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on February 03, 2017, 01:42:46 pm
If you a kid locked up and watch his press conference its probably ho-hum but if you are up against Florida for a kid whether he is a two or three star you are probably going to give out some high-fives.   I'd like to see the video of the coaching staff watching the Mclellion presser if they knew Florida was involved up until Tuesday night. Specially after Putu.   

I was surprised that Bielema didn't drop any bombs aimed directly at the Swamp Donkey.  He mentioned that McClellion got late offers but didn't go out of his way to mention Florida specifically.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: luke hawg on February 03, 2017, 01:01:32 pm
Who is Jim Harris and why does his opinion matter. He seems to have a sense of authority on all things razorback football and many people value his opinion. He seems to be gaining attention for being negative at all times as a media member. Is there a reason, I should value his opinion more than others? Serious question!

Jim was an established Razorback beat reporter for the Gazette when I first began covering the Hogs back in the 1980s. His opinion is well grounded in knowledge gathered close to the action.
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

In other tidbits that you won't see in the hot takes:

https://twitter.com/Ben__Creighton/status/827337052811382784

Coach Bielema giving credit to central Arkansas talent.

Joe T. Robinson is a school that is doing a great job right now.  Great coaches and they are investing in facilities.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

oldhog63

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 01:47:15 pm
Jim was an established Razorback beat reporter for the Gazette when I first began covering the Hogs back in the 1980s. His opinion is well grounded in knowledge gathered close to the action.
But never INTO the action. Close was good enough. Makes him an expert.

ricepig

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 03, 2017, 01:51:22 pm

And the vast majority of us!

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 01:31:13 pm

yeah, they said as soon as they get better offers, they're outta here. (jk)

You might  have missed it previously in the thread: I didn't attend, and had been asking people who did what they saw or what happened. That's what reporters do when they hear something (and it runs 50-50 from CBB was a "$%^" to "it was nothing, he just had fun with the kid's question"). Hence the tweet before the one about "stars" on my timeline asking if anyone had gone and what happened.
Know also that these events are actually thought to be "off the record" and coaches feel the freedom to say what they want. No TV is allowed in, no cameras. I didn't attend because of a family matter, but I've been to them before. I'd seen all the HUDL video on the out-of-state signees. Family mattered more. When I've reported on Bobby or Bret in the past after buying a ticket, I've just hit on the positive spin of it all, if fans had fun, that kind of thing.

You didn't ask, but I did hear from several people, haven't seen it in this thread, though, that someone asked why Froholdt started all season and Bielema said "I know what I'm doing." Again, not a question about the signing class, probably better for another day, although this is sponsored by the LR Razorback Club, where they ask questions like this.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

oldhog63

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 01:52:20 pm
And the vast majority of us!
The vast majority of us don't consider ourselves journalists nor are we trying to drive traffic to our sites via social media.

Jim Harris

I'm not an expert. I've never described myself as such. That is why throughout my life/career I leaned on the experts (coaches and players on the highest level) to give me some knowledge to impart to readers. That's what most sportswriters I know have done. You see very few coaches or players go into sportswriting, and only a few are able to successfully go into radio/tv. Many may struggle with writing or conveying the message that the average person can understand. But many are willing to help you understand it and pass that on. And, frankly, many coaches and players/former players don't care for the media, and that's OK too.

Also, I was small but slow. Very small. Very slow.

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:52:22 pm

You might  have missed it previously in the thread: I didn't attend, and had been asking people who did what they saw or what happened. That's what reporters do when they hear something (and it runs 50-50 from CBB was a "$%^" to "it was nothing, he just had fun with the kid's question"). Hence the tweet before the one about "stars" on my timeline asking if anyone had gone and what happened.
Know also that these events are actually thought to be "off the record" and coaches feel the freedom to say what they want. No TV is allowed in, no cameras. I didn't attend because of a family matter, but I've been to them before. I'd seen all the HUDL video on the out-of-state signees. Family mattered more. When I've reported on Bobby or Bret in the past after buying a ticket, I've just hit on the positive spin of it all, if fans had fun, that kind of thing.

You didn't ask, but I did hear from several people, haven't seen it in this thread, though, that someone asked why Froholdt started all season and Bielema said "I know what I'm doing." Again, not a question about the signing class, probably better for another day, although this is sponsored by the LR Razorback Club, where they ask questions like this.

Really? I've read on three different boards, and I'd say that it was 90%-10% on it was nothing, and a good bit of them said, "I'm no facts of Bret, except they didn't spell it that way. They ones there said everyone was laughing at it, except the 11yr old and he thought they were laughing at him.

Hmm, probably time for a scathing Sportslife article on the evil Bret Bielema, I'm sure will get the proverbial plug for it on here.

colbs

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:52:22 pm

Know also that these evep
He didn't just reply "I know what I'm doing".  They pretty much questioned how his OL at Wiscy was so good in 2010 but why he stuck with Froholdt.  BB talked a few minutes about it and BB toward the end said (paraphrasing) "The same guy that made the choice to go with Froholdt is the same guy that coached that good OL in 2010."

Hugo Bezdek

From what I've been told, Coach B realized the kid was upset and has set up some time to call him and personally apologize for embarrassing him. What may seem like nothing was a pretty big deal to a ~10 year old, so I think some credit needs to go to Coach B for trying to make it right.

Jim Harris

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2017, 01:41:58 pm

Again, any questions sent out to the U of A about this?

No, because I don't think it's worth writing anything about on THV11.com or SportingLifeArkansas.com other than to say, on here, in answer to the OP, that there are differences of opinion on it, but that the people who know the dad say he didn't put his kid up to asking the question. That's it, and it's gone from there. Anyone can assume all they want what inspired it, like the comments I've seen that the kid probably heard his dad say this after the losses, etc., and that's why he asked it.

If I change my mind and decide it's worth exploring further, or what Bret thought about the question, I'll ask Bret or at least contact his SID on it.

oldhog63

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:58:01 pm
I'm not an expert. I've never described myself as such. That is why throughout my life/career I leaned on the experts (coaches and players on the highest level) to give me some knowledge to impart to readers. That's what most sportswriters I know have done. You see very few coaches or players go into sportswriting, and only a few are able to successfully go into radio/tv. Many may struggle with writing or conveying the message that the average person can understand. But many are willing to help you understand it and pass that on. And, frankly, many coaches and players/former players don't care for the media, and that's OK too.

Also, I was small but slow. Very small. Very slow.

For someone that has been around as long as you should know how hard these coaches work in recruiting and that they should be able to celebrate a victory. That tweet imparted no knowledge of razorback football but did make you look small and slow as you say.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on February 03, 2017, 02:06:21 pm
From what I've been told, Coach B realized the kid was upset and has set up some time to call him and personally apologize for embarrassing him. What may seem like nothing was a pretty big deal to a ~10 year old, so I think some credit needs to go to Coach B for trying to make it right.

Now, THAT is worth checking out and sounds like a story made right. Thanks. By the way, Hugo, you were a great coach and a great mascot creator.

Biggus Piggus

Those darned coaches, they all learned how to coach by playing. Doesn't matter how many years they put into coaching, they owe it all to those years they played football.

Right?

Take Lou Holtz for example.
[CENSORED]!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:09:12 pm
Now, THAT is worth checking out and sounds like a story made right. Thanks. By the way, Hugo, you were a great coach and a great mascot creator.

I do what I can.

Jim Harris

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 03, 2017, 02:08:19 pm

For someone that has been around as long as you should know how hard these coaches work in recruiting and that they should be able to celebrate a victory. That tweet imparted no knowledge of razorback football but did make you look small and slow as you say.

Are you referring to the "Stars don't matter until they do" tweet? I guess so. Twitter tends to be a weird animal for social media, and some people tend to like snark and some people don't, and everything is capsulized in 140 characters, as you know all that. It just seems ironic, as long as I've been doing this as you point out, to hear "stars don't matter" from a coach when you know they do when they sign a coveted star-laded player. You are looking at it through rose-colored glasses not realizing that it applies to dozens of coaches and staffs out there (Mullen, for one, said it too). But this is Hogville. And, if Arkansas had signed 10 4-star players like Petrino's 2009 class, there would have been some crowing by these guys. You know it.
Nobody, least of all me, is denying anyone the opportunity to celebrate a 4-star CB/signing day victory, though.

oldhog63

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 02:12:09 pm
Those darned coaches, they all learned how to coach by playing. Doesn't matter how many years they put into coaching, they owe it all to those years they played football.

Right?

Take Lou Holtz for example.
Holtz did play and coach at the college level. For some of the best.

oldhog63

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:16:29 pm
Are you referring to the "Stars don't matter until they do" tweet? I guess so. Twitter tends to be a weird animal for social media, and some people tend to like snark and some people don't, and everything is capsulized in 140 characters, as you know all that. It just seems ironic, as long as I've been doing this as you point out, to hear "stars don't matter" from a coach when you know they do when they sign a coveted star-laded player. You are looking at it through rose-colored glasses not realizing that it applies to dozens of coaches and staffs out there (Mullen, for one, said it too). But this is Hogville. And, if Arkansas had signed 10 4-star players like Petrino's 2009 class, there would have been some crowing by these guys. You know it.
Nobody, least of all me, is denying anyone the opportunity to celebrate a 4-star CB/signing day victory, though.

That is the tweet and I understand all that. Just seemed like an uncalled for, ill timed, and snarky remark to me. Seemed more agenda driven and nothing to do with sports writing about razorback football.

Jim Harris

Quote from: colbs on February 03, 2017, 02:02:51 pm
He didn't just reply "I know what I'm doing".  They pretty much questioned how his OL at Wiscy was so good in 2010 but why he stuck with Froholdt.  BB talked a few minutes about it and BB toward the end said (paraphrasing) "The same guy that made the choice to go with Froholdt is the same guy that coached that good OL in 2010."

good stuff. thanks.
Like I have said several times now, it's fascinating how different people hear it all differently, or bits and pieces of it. It reminds me very much of the literal crisis that ensued after Frank Broyles reportedly, via message boards, said in Dallas that the "spread wouldn't work in the SEC," etc. etc. and it was a fractured, paraphrased version of what he said. Rarely is any fan sitting there taking quotes like they're Nate Allen, or committing it to memory as it's said the way Orville could.

Potosihog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on February 03, 2017, 02:06:21 pm

Oh man I hope not.

IF the parent didn't put the kid up to it, it was a great learning opportunity for the kid.  After the event dad says "Well son, this was an event for celebrating players.  Whether you meant to or not your question embarrassed the coach.  When we get home we will write a letter of apology to him and let him know we weren't trying to publically embarrass him."  I know you hear me complain about him when we are watching football games.  But when we are at public events we need to make sure our comments and questions are respectful.  The good news is we all learn from our mistakes.  Let's go get ice cream. (walks off with hand on shoulder of child).

IF the parent did put him up to it............"Sorry son that I put you in the firing line like that.  In hindsight it wasn't very smart of me to use you to try and publically humiliate our coach.  When we get home I will write a letter of apology to coach and let him know it was my mistake."

Jim Harris

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 03, 2017, 02:22:31 pm
That is the tweet and I understand all that. Just seemed like an uncalled for, ill timed, and snarky remark to me. Seemed more agenda driven and nothing to do with sports writing about razorback football.

No agenda here. It doesn't do me any good for the Hogs or Bielema to not succeed. Just heard "stars don't matter" for the umpteenth time and was reminded of all the reactions, not just Hogs staff's, to recruiting coups. Glad to see they were happy on signing day for once after the past few NSD disappointments.

Are you actually an old Hog who wore 63? Why don't you impart your expertise more?

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 03, 2017, 12:02:26 pm
The 1st kid asked what the gender of their baby would be. His brother asked what they would do about 4th quarter collapses. Bielema replied "I think I liked your brothers question more." That was the end of it.
Exactly, he said the 2nd kid needs less sugar.  He said nothing to embarrass them.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 03, 2017, 02:18:12 pm

*sigh*
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 01:58:55 pm
Really? I've read on three different boards, and I'd say that it was 90%-10% on it was nothing, and a good bit of them said, "I'm no facts of Bret, except they didn't spell it that way. They ones there said everyone was laughing at it, except the 11yr old and he thought they were laughing at him.

Hmm, probably time for a scathing Sportslife article on the evil Bret Bielema, I'm sure will get the proverbial plug for it on here.

That's cool. I haven't done the message board Harris Poll survey yet, but I'll defer to yours. Much ado about nothing. Bret's not evil. Petrino maybe, Saban most definitely, but not Bret (and I never, ever call him Bert like some other writers who will go unnamed).

If there is anything someone (D-G perhaps) might deem newsworthy from last night, again from what has been relayed to me but I haven't spoken with Richard at the Razorback Club here yet, it's that attendance may have significantly lagged from past Signing Day in the Rock events. Could be any number of reasons, but reported to me were: the setup on the floor was much smaller, and in the stands for $25 a ticket were 62 folks. Last year was raucous with more than 1,000 in attendance. Recall this event had outgrown the Statehouse Convention Center to Verizon Arena back when Petrino doing the rock star thing coming through the dry-ice fog. Boy, those were the days.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Potosihog on February 03, 2017, 02:26:30 pm
Oh man I hope not.

IF the parent didn't put the kid up to it, it was a great learning opportunity for the kid.  After the event dad says "Well son, this was an event for celebrating players.  Whether you meant to or not your question embarrassed the coach.  When we get home we will write a letter of apology to him and let him know we weren't trying to publically embarrass him."  I know you hear me complain about him when we are watching football games.  But when we are at public events we need to make sure our comments and questions are respectful.  The good news is we all learn from our mistakes.  Let's go get ice cream. (walks off with hand on shoulder of child).

IF the parent did put him up to it............"Sorry son that I put you in the firing line like that.  In hindsight it wasn't very smart of me to use you to try and publically humiliate our coach.  When we get home I will write a letter of apology to coach and let him know it was my mistake."

It's a 10yo kid, not some 16yo smart mouth. I think he's doing the right thing under the circumstances. From what I'm told the dad didn't put him up to it. He just reads alot. No doubt he was parroting what he hears when grown people are talking about the Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on February 03, 2017, 01:36:42 pm
So what you are saying is that you are the kind of parent who would encourage your daughter to take an event that is intended to celebrate the new recruits (it is more their day than his) and bring in a bunch of negativity?

Anyone should ask him hard questions. He's paid a lot of money to take the heat when he's underperforming. But doing it at a recruiting event shows a lack of class as well as a short-sightedness. Recruiting MUST BE sunshine and moonbeams.

You don't talk about product recalls when you are selling someone a new car.

tim is just a troll account of some other poster. He showed up a few days ago bagging on BB and acting like Anderson is the 2nd coming of John Wooden.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:42:10 pm
That's cool. I haven't done the message board Harris Poll survey yet, but I'll defer to yours. Much ado about nothing. Bret's not evil. Petrino maybe, Saban most definitely, but not Bret (and I never, ever call him Bret like some other writers who will go unnamed).

If there is anything someone (D-G perhaps) might deem newsworthy from last night, again from what has been relayed to me but I haven't spoken with Richard at the Razorback Club here yet, it's that attendance may have significantly lagged from past Signing Day in the Rock events. Could be any number of reasons, but reported to me were: the setup on the floor was much smaller, and in the stands for $25 a ticket were 62 folks. Last year was raucous with more than 1,000 in attendance. Recall this event had outgrown the Statehouse Convention Center to Verizon Arena back when Petrino doing the rock star thing coming through the dry-ice fog. Boy, those were the days.

No doubt more people show up with more wins, it doesn't take a rock scientist to figure that out. The food was bad, the graphics lacking, and the overall atmosphere was lacking, tell Richard that.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 03:03:10 pm
No doubt more people show up with more wins, it doesn't take a rock scientist to figure that out. The food was bad, the graphics lacking, and the overall atmosphere was lacking, tell Richard that.

Arkansas had a lot of positive momentum with the fan base coming out of 2015 season and into signing day, even though the day itself had been a downer. Apparently not so much momentum with fans coming out of those last two games of 2016, but the class finished on an upswing, I  thought.
I'll pass along your critique. Like some of the other stuff, I heard the same from several others as well.

jacobp

Shorttimer

I think it is important to point out that Jim Harris is no longer either a reporter or a journalist, even though he has been referred to as both in this thread. 

He is, however, something akin to an opinion writer or blogger.  I don't fault him for his opinion; everyone has one. But he no longer "reports" news or "journals" events. He opines on his observations.

And his opinion is clearly that Bielema is not up to the task and needs to go.  He doesn't even pretend to retain a thin veil of objectivity.  And once a media member who holds himself out as a purveyor of information allows his personal opinion to color his writing, that needs to be pointed out.  Because then he is no better than any joe with a keyboard and a Hogville account.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Shorttimer on February 03, 2017, 03:34:38 pm

And his opinion is clearly that Bielema is not up to the task and needs to go. 

I would not concur with your opinion of my opinion. My opinion is: I think Bret Bielema needs to change a lot of things to succeed here, though, beyond a 7-8 ceiling (pretty much HDN's ceiling over 10  years). He's doing that on the defensive side. They need more players, though. He needs a defensive staff that is all in starting with spring practice. He needs to demand more from the entire 105 starting NOW to improve on 7-6. He needs to self-evaluate and ask himself if he is setting the type of example he wants to set for the players from which he asks much in the way of discipline, clean football, etc.

Inhogswetrust

I feel sorry for your daughter if her Dad is like this post.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 03, 2017, 02:18:12 pm

Played at Kent State. Not some of the best. He's not even the best coach to have played there.................that title belongs to Saban. Heck the second best to come out of there as a coach is probably Don James.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lefty08

Appears to me Eric Bolin has stolen Jim's login info, or maybe not
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HawgTide

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:24:53 pm
good stuff. thanks.
Like I have said several times now, it's fascinating how different people hear it all differently, or bits and pieces of it. It reminds me very much of the literal crisis that ensued after Frank Broyles reportedly, via message boards, said in Dallas that the "spread wouldn't work in the SEC," etc. etc. and it was a fractured, paraphrased version of what he said. Rarely is any fan sitting there taking quotes like they're Nate Allen, or committing it to memory as it's said the way Orville could.

It's not a mystery Jim. You choose to listen and believe people that share your negative outlook.

LRHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 03, 2017, 01:40:14 pm
Does she have to drive when you have 40 too many?

Edit: that is wrong for me to post.

You are very much like many other posters here. Fire CBB and give CMA a lifetime contract. so odd.

That narrative sounds so familiar, doesn't it?