Started by Peter Porker, February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

Who's the current DL coach at Samford?

JackJohnson

Quote from: RedyorNot on February 05, 2017, 11:49:34 am
Says it won't be either Montgomery or Partridge according to source-

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-defensive-line-coach-search

Neither of those are a major upgrade over Segrest anyway,who coached NFL DL for several years.  Whoever we hire will be a huge upgrade over Segrest and especially the hogville heros Montgomery and Partridge

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2017, 12:39:37 pm
That's why I don't think it's him.

If we have a chance to get him on staff, and don't because we don't want to give him an extra title, it's just more evidence that Bielema doesn't get it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2017, 01:12:22 pm
If we have a chance to get him on staff, and don't because we don't want to give him an extra title, it's just more evidence that Bielema doesn't get it.

I don't think that's what would keep him from coming, and I think we'd do it if it was what he wanted. I don't think he wants back in the college game, but that's just my thinking on it. I never thought we'd get him, but I did allow myself about 10 hours of dreaming when I read he was going to interview.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2017, 01:12:22 pm

We aren't going to have a $5M staff like the big boys, it's just not going to happen.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 01:18:38 pm
We aren't going to have a $5M staff like the big boys, it's just not going to happen.

Then let's just stop pretending to be serious about football.  What's the point of even being in the SEC?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2017, 01:24:22 pm
Then let's just stop pretending to be serious about football.  What's the point of even being in the SEC?

For the $40M check.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 01:28:25 pm
For the $40M check.

Exactly.  We have the money.  Our administration just isn't serious about winning.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2017, 01:29:38 pm
Exactly.  We have the money.  Our administration just isn't serious about winning.

Give them a call, maybe they'll listen.

ArkansasI

Whatever our problems, spending enough money isn't one of them.

ricepig

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 05, 2017, 01:39:03 pm
Whatever our problems, spending enough money isn't one of them.

It is when it's compared to our SEC brethren for assistant coaches.

King Kong

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 05, 2017, 12:54:47 pm
Neither of those are a major upgrade over Segrest anyway,who coached NFL DL for several years.  Whoever we hire will be a huge upgrade over Segrest and especially the hogville heros Montgomery and Partridge

You are crazy if you don't think either of those guys would be a significant upgrade

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on February 05, 2017, 02:14:26 pm
You are crazy if you don't think either of those guys would be a significant upgrade
He's the antithesis to Integrity Hog.

Hogfan46

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 05, 2017, 12:54:47 pm

This post is ridiculously incorrect. In recruiting alone, either Montgomery or Partridge would be huge upgrades over Segrest.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 01:50:43 pm
It is when it's compared to our SEC brethren for assistant coaches.

Yep, and if we are not willing to go higher to get elite coaches it will dig CBB's grave and our program for the time being

PorkRinds

I wish they would just keep who has interviewed quiet. Why mention a big name and then respond by hiring someone who isn't? Sort of steals their thunder.

menace_hawg3

What makes everyone so sure that the same recruiting success could be duplicated at Arkansas? My 7 year old daughter could recruit to Michigan and OU.

DoctorSusscrofa

I really doubt that money is what's keeping us from getting the biggest name coaches.  The very best assistant coaches want to go where recruiting is easier and where winning consistently is easier.  Most of them would go to Bama, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame, FSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, etc & etc, first even if we offered more money. Because all of them have easier time recruiting and an easier time winning and avoiding looking foolish than we do. Here you have to string 2-3 great recruiting classes together (nearly impossible) and you have to play and recruit against 3 top 12 teams every year in your own division. This is very difficult, especially since our most recent "look foolish" seasons are so recent.

We are almost certainly going to have to have a lucky season in order to build up for a great season. If we get a very decent line coach and DB or LB coach and then have a season where we get lucky and win 1 or 2 games we shouldn't, then we might get a string of good recruiting seasons and build a real good team. Until we play well AND slip up on somebody that's really better than us we'll probably have to settle for good but not great assistant coaches.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

King Kong

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 05, 2017, 02:52:30 pm
What makes everyone so sure that the same recruiting success could be duplicated at Arkansas? My 7 year old daughter could recruit to Michigan and OU.

This is stupid. Montgomery was recruiting at an elite level for even those programs. Great recruiters translate. See Mike Smith, Sam Pittman and Jim Washburn

King Kong

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2017, 03:15:52 pm
I really doubt that money is what's keeping us from getting the biggest name coaches.  The very best assistant coaches want to go where recruiting is easier and where winning consistently is easier.  Most of them would go to Bama, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame, FSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, etc & etc, first even if we offered more money. Because all of them have easier time recruiting and an easier time winning and avoiding looking foolish than we do. Here you have to string 2-3 great recruiting classes together (nearly impossible) and you have to play and recruit against 3 top 12 teams every year in your own division. This is very difficult, especially since our most recent "look foolish" seasons are so recent.

We are almost certainly going to have to have a lucky season in order to build up for a great season. If we get a very decent line coach and DB or LB coach and then have a season where we get lucky and win 1 or 2 games we shouldn't, then we might get a string of good recruiting seasons and build a real good team. Until we play well AND slip up on somebody that's really better than us we'll probably have to settle for good but not great assistant coaches.

We are in the bottom 3rd for coaches salaries for our conference.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on February 05, 2017, 03:17:57 pm

Correct, it's going to take money to get them here. I just don't see us paying $500,000 for a DL, LB, or DB coach.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 03:50:58 pm
Correct, it's going to take money to get them here. I just don't see us paying $500,000 for a DL, LB, or DB coach.

Heck we probably aren't playing PR much more than that to be DC

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2017, 02:51:29 pm
I wish they would just keep who has interviewed quiet. Why mention a big name and then respond by hiring someone who isn't? Sort of steals their thunder.

Well one theory is they can justify hiring the no-name guy by saying we went after A-B-C.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 05, 2017, 04:01:02 pm
Well one theory is they can justify hiring the no-name guy by saying we went after A-B-C.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Walker

Get ready for it

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2017, 03:55:35 pm
Heck we probably aren't playing PR much more than that to be DC
He is getting $4.5M from ISU which isn't offset by his salary from another job.

JackJohnson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2017, 04:06:00 pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Walker

Get ready for it

What's not to like?  He has an Incredibly strong recruiting background with impressive results plus he has deep ties to New Orleans area to boot.  Not to mention he has shown to be a great developer of talent every where he has been.  Proven coach and recruiter who will be a great addition to our staff most likely as either the ILB or OLB coach.  Can recruit circles around Segrest

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 05, 2017, 04:14:57 pm
What's not to like?  He has an Incredibly strong recruiting background with impressive results plus he has deep ties to New Orleans area to boot.  Not to mention he has shown to be a great developer of talent every where he has been.  Proven coach and recruiter who will be a great addition to our staff most likely as either the ILB or OLB coach.  Can recruit circles around Segrest

Best defensive quality control asst in the business is what I heard

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2017, 04:20:59 pm

Get him before Bama does!

JackJohnson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2017, 04:20:59 pm

As was Kurt Anderson on offense last year.  With the success he has why would you not want to go back to that well again

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 04:21:41 pm

Exactly!  These are the type of outside the box hires that you have to make at Ark in order to compete

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 04:21:41 pm

I heard that Nick Saban, after drinking unofficially and non verbally said that not bringing Chad Walker with him from the Dolphins to Bama was the worst move he didn't make.

He was so good at helping OU install the 3-4 that Texas made the Big 12 make a rule against OU hiring as a Full Time coach.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: King Kong on February 05, 2017, 03:17:57 pm

That doesn't mean a whole lot. If you offer a great coach $800,000 and he turns you down, you don't have to offer your next pick $800,000.  If great coaches turn you down and you end up hiring someone of lesser quality you pay them what you can get them to take.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2017, 08:58:24 pm
That doesn't mean a whole lot. If you offer a great coach $800,000 and he turns you down, you don't have to offer your next pick $800,000.  If great coaches turn you down and you end up hiring someone of lesser quality you pay them what you can get them to take.

Yet the bottom 3rd in pay keep finishing in the bottom 3rd

grayhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 05, 2017, 09:09:31 pm
Yet the bottom 3rd in pay keep finishing in the bottom 3rd
Yeah when management does not seem to care you have no chance to improve.

DoctorSusscrofa

I rather doubt that is actually what our coaches or AD actually think.  I bet they've done what I said earlier: they've probably offered good money to good coaches, been turned down, and went with a second or third choice because 1 and or 2 simply wouldn't come even for good money due to how difficult the job would be. 

ricepig

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2017, 11:01:34 pm
I rather doubt that is actually what our coaches or AD actually think.  I bet they've done what I said earlier: they've probably offered good money to good coaches, been turned down, and went with a second or third choice because 1 and or 2 simply wouldn't come even for good money due to how difficult the job would be. 

Yeah, but probably not ridiculous good money, and I understand that. We were paying Pittman $525,000, I don't see why we can't pay a D-line coach who's a pit bull recruiter that much. If they're making $375,000-$400,00, another $125,000 is a lot with a 2-3 year guarantee.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 05, 2017, 03:15:52 pm

Nebraska is in a worse place than us with regard to recruiting.  I'd almost place PSU as in as bad a spot.

EFBAB

ricepig

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 06, 2017, 07:50:39 am
Nebraska is in a worse place than us with regard to recruiting.  I'd almost place PSU as in as bad a spot.

EFBAB

Nah, Penn St gets a lot of east coast guys, along with Ohio and their in-state guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 06, 2017, 08:07:54 am #88 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:47:54 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 07:38:27 am
Yeah, but probably not ridiculous good money, and I understand that. We were paying Pittman $525,000, I don't see why we can't pay a D-line coach who's a pit bull recruiter that much. If they're making $375,000-$400,00, another $125,000 is a lot with a 2-3 year guarantee.

Alabama's previous D-Line coach Bo Davis reportedly was making something like $475K prior to his firing (potential recruiting violations).

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/06/alabama_assistant_coach_pay_raises_2015.html

The guy who took his place for the 2016-17 season was Karl Dunbar who reportedly was hired for $275K per year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2016/06/21/alabama-strength-coach-scott-cochran-salary-525000-per-year/86178328/
Go Hogs Go!

Razorbackers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2017, 08:07:54 am
Alabama's previous D-Line coach Bo Davis reportedly was making something like $475K prior to his firing (potential recruiting violations).

The guy who took his place for the 2016-17 season was Karl Dunbar who reportedly was hired for $275K per year.

True, but this doesn't fit the narrative of the two carpetbaggers hired by the Illuminati to destroy an American institution like Arkansas football from the inside. So I shall ignore it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 06, 2017, 08:45:50 am
True, but this doesn't fit the narrative of the two carpetbaggers hired by the Illuminati to destroy an American institution like Arkansas football from the inside. So I shall ignore it.

That's ridiculous, but then, you knew that when you typed that statement.
Go Hogs Go!

kaki

Not much I've read in this thread puts our dumbest fan base ranking in jeopardy!

ArkansasI

Many Hogville posters must make a ton of money.  They likely manage large budget enterprises where the standard answer is, "If we just offered more money for this job we'd get better results." - seeming to ignore all other aspects of the job that directly impact performance.

I do not apologize for being a Razorback.  However, I am not ignorant of the challenges that we face that are unique among our conference brethren.

Our administration must determine whether to hire talented people for a competitive wage and let them earn raises; or throw ridiculous money at coaches who have proven themselves successful at  schools that are NOT similarly situated and expect similar results.

Doing the latter should get you fired.  Aside from Alabama hiring Nick Saban, I can't name a single time that throwing money at a coaching problem has worked.

Rich Rodriquez couldn't translate his success at West Virginia to Michigan - bad fit.  Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Butch Davis and Chip Kelly failed to transition from college to the NFL.   Spurrier wasn't as successful at South Carolina as he was at Florida.  Butch wasn't as successful at North Carolina as he was at Miami.

I don't believe Pittman left Arkansas for Georgia over money.  And I also believe that Pittman will appear to be a better recruiter at Georgia than at Arkansas.

All I'm offering is YOU CAN'T BUY CHAMPIONSHIPS.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to if I could.

Wildhog

Tennessee just hired Brady Hoke as their new DL coach.

Bret needs to knock this one out of the park.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Potosihog

With Razorback Nation retweeting the SEC Country article about it not being Montgomery or Partridge I think the atmosphere is being set for us to hire someone most will not be impressed by.

I have to think there are a lot of people who could be solid coaches and recruiters.  Finding one that is a good fit is the trick.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2017, 10:15:02 am

I'm not so sure those two comments are relatable. I wouldn't have been pleased with hole as a DL coach hire

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kaki on February 06, 2017, 08:59:01 am
Not much I've read in this thread puts our dumbest fan base ranking in jeopardy!

You've never been on Nafoom or Texags then.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

He needs to hire someone who can coach the 3-4 DL, and can recruit. One of his two defensive hires needs to be a top notch recruiter, it doesn't matter to me which guy. And I doubt it will be out of the park, more like a double.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 10:35:21 am
He needs to hire someone who can coach the 3-4 DL, and can recruit. One of his two defensive hires needs to be a top notch recruiter, it doesn't matter to me which guy. And I doubt it will be out of the park, more like a double.

Frankly, they both need to be top notch recruiters. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

LOL really? So he's gone from HC, to DC, and now to DL coach.

Woof.

https://twitter.com/banditref/status/554817659276394498