Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DL Coach?

Started by Peter Porker, February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2017, 10:36:17 am
Frankly, they both need to be top notch recruiters. 

Well sure, but no sense living in fantasy world.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 10:37:27 am
Well sure, but no sense living in fantasy world.

Don't really see how it's a fantasy world.  That's what we need.  Other programs do it.  Time for us to step up.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2017, 10:38:02 am
Don't really see how it's a fantasy world.  That's what we need.  Other programs do it.  Time for us to step up.

It's fantasy world as far as Razorback football history is concerned. I don't see it changing to a great degree.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 10:41:12 am
It's fantasy world as far as Razorback football history is concerned. I don't see it changing to a great degree.

I mean, I have no faith that CBB will make two good hires, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

I'm prepared to be totally underwhelmed with his next hires. I've lost any faith in this head coach.

Razorbackers

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 06, 2017, 10:42:29 am
I'm prepared to be totally underwhelmed with his next hires. I've lost any faith in this head coach.

Why?

Did he not also hire Enos, Mitchell, Smith, and the rest?

Smith and Segrest didn't work out. But they, especially Smith, weren't stupid hires.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 06, 2017, 10:44:55 am
Why?

Did he not also hire Enos, Mitchell, Smith, and the rest?

Smith and Segrest didn't work out. But they, especially Smith, weren't stupid hires.

I mean, Smith wasn't exactly sought after, and had only one year as DC on the FBS level before we hired him.  Let's not act like he was some big time hire.

CBB has made a few good hires, though.  Enos was a huge hire.  Getting a sitting FBS HC to come be a coordinator is big time.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRHawg

That sure was nice of Tennessee to take a rider on Hoak while he rebuilds his career. lol

colbs

If you don't get a position coach that is a good recruiter you have to make sure that they are great at developing and a great position coach.  I'm not sure a couple of the past hires were either.  Hopefully the coach they get are good at both. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2017, 10:46:44 am
I mean, Smith wasn't exactly sought after, and had only one year as DC on the FBS level before we hired him.  Let's not act like he was some big time hire.

CBB has made a few good hires, though.  Enos was a huge hire.  Getting a sitting FBS HC to come be a coordinator is big time.

I mean, he was at Rutgers with Schiano during the good years. I'm not saying he was a knockout hire like Enos was, but his background and style is what Bret was looking for. It just didn't work after year 1 lol.

Enos was a great hire and has paid off for sure.

Reggie Mitchell was a great hire imo.

Ben Herbert seems to be doing a good job getting our guys bigger, at least.

Lunney has done well.

Smith has been great at recruiting.

And now Paul Rhoads as DC. IMO a dynamite get.

Pittman was good while he was here.

Partridge was a nice addition for a while.

Jemal Singleton was a fantastic get, I wish we could have kept him longer!

Ash has had success away from Arkansas, he just wasn't ready for the rebuild here I don't think.

Shannon did well for us.

But there have been some busts for sure. Smith, Cheney, Segrest, and the old DB coach weren't great.

But I think CBB has done a good job overall of finding assistants and coordinators. I'm eager to see who he hires, and I hope it's a good one.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 06, 2017, 10:53:44 am
I mean, he was at Rutgers with Schiano during the good years. I'm not saying he was a knockout hire like Enos was, but his background and style is what Bret was looking for. It just didn't work after year 1 lol.

Enos was a great hire and has paid off for sure.  - Agree

Reggie Mitchell was a great hire imo. - Agree.  I raved about that hire.

Ben Herbert seems to be doing a good job getting our guys bigger, at least.  -  Big and slow.  :)

Lunney has done well.  - I wasn't a huge fan of hiring an Arkansas guy just for the sake of hiring an Arkansas guy, but he's done a great job.

Smith has been great at recruiting.  - Michael Smith has been invaluable.

And now Paul Rhoads as DC. IMO a dynamite get.  - HUGE hire that is paying off with huge results.

Pittman was good while he was here.  - Great hire.

Partridge was a nice addition for a while. - Great hire.

Jemal Singleton was a fantastic get, I wish we could have kept him longer!  - This is where we disagree.  Jemal Singleton was Joel Thomas 2.0.  Just wasn't worth much on the recruiting trail.

Ash has had success away from Arkansas, he just wasn't ready for the rebuild here I don't think.  - Agreed.

Shannon did well for us.  - Agreed.

But there have been some busts for sure. Smith, Cheney, Segrest, and the old DB coach weren't great.

But I think CBB has done a good job overall of finding assistants and coordinators. I'm eager to see who he hires, and I hope it's a good one.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

Well, it appears that we agree on pretty much everything.

Wanna keep arguing for funsies?  ;D

grayhawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 06, 2017, 10:53:44 am

Enos was a great hire and has paid off for sure.

Reggie Mitchell was a great hire imo.

Ben Herbert seems to be doing a good job getting our guys bigger, at least.

Lunney has done well.

Smith has been great at recruiting.

And now Paul Rhoads as DC. IMO a dynamite get.

Pittman was good while he was here.

Partridge was a nice addition for a while.

Jemal Singleton was a fantastic get, I wish we could have kept him longer!

Ash has had success away from Arkansas, he just wasn't ready for the rebuild here I don't think.

Shannon did well for us.

Pittman was good until his buddy Chaney left.

onebadrubi

Jemal Singleton did walk into our RB' room and fix our fumbling issues, so much so the staff raved about his work in the RB room. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2017, 10:46:44 am

I kinda wonder if BB doesn't view his coaching hires the same way he does the talent that he recruits. He loves to get those big recruits but he also tends to pride himself in finding those with under-evaluated talent and proving to everyone that they are better than anyone thought they would be. If that is true, then the problem is that making a mistake on a player or two or even three may not significantly penalize your program, but making a mistake like that with a coach or two, can significantly set your program back even if you have to pay less to get them. Especially if we are talking about a Coordinator.

Now there isn't any reason at this point to not have supreme confidence in Paul Rhoads. I expect the defense to look a lot better than last year. And the Enos hire (previously a HC and QB and QB Coach) was a really good fit.

As for other Assistant's...just go spend the money and get established 5 or 4 star position coaches. Yes, they may be guys looking for HC'ing jobs and may leave after a year or two, but go get the successful guys that aren't underappreciated or under-evaluated, that are excellent recruiters, pay them the money and move on. You'll look like a genius when you contend in the West.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2017, 11:36:35 am
I kinda wonder if BB doesn't view his coaching hires the same way he does the talent that he recruits. He loves to get those big recruits but he also tends to pride himself in finding those with under-evaluated talent and proving to everyone that they are better than anyone thought they would be. If that is true, then the problem is that making a mistake on a player or two or even three may not significantly penalize your program, but making a mistake like that with a coach or two, can significantly set your program back even if you have to pay less to get them. Especially if we are talking about a Coordinator.

Now there isn't any reason at this point to not have supreme confidence in Paul Rhoads. I expect the defense to look a lot better than last year. And the Enos hire (previously a HC and QB and QB Coach) was a really good fit.

As for other Assistant's...just go spend the money and get established 5 or 4 star position coaches. Yes, they may be guys looking for HC'ing jobs and may leave after a year or two, but go get the successful guys that aren't underappreciated or under-evaluated, that are excellent recruiters, pay them the money and move on. You'll look like a genius when you contend in the West.

Totally agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

colbs

It's a lot easier to get good assistants if your others are leaving for coordinator positions or HC positions. 

passinghog

I literally could care less if a position coach (outside of QB and Oline) wasn't a great teacher if he's a stud recruiter. I would hire a guy 10 out of 10 times if all he did was bring in the horses. Keep him for 2-3 years and then let him move on. Arkansas should consider overpaying if he's a proven recruiter; that's how badly we need guys that we know can bring in above average talent

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 06, 2017, 12:35:53 pm
I literally could care less if a position coach (outside of QB and Oline) wasn't a great teacher if he's a stud recruiter. I would hire a guy 10 out of 10 times if all he did was bring in the horses. Keep him for 2-3 years and then let him move on. Arkansas should consider overpaying if he's a proven recruiter; that's how badly we need guys that we know can bring in above average talent

How much less could you care?

grayhawg

Yep now just convince the guys with control of the money.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 06, 2017, 12:35:53 pm

Then you take that guy and create a position for him the way Alabama has. Make him Director of Player Personnel or Recruiting Coordinator #2, whatever you want to call him. You still need to be able to coach, teach and develop players once on campus, even 4 and 5 stars. Hire a separate position coach that can do this.
Go Hogs Go!

Potosihog

The kind of super recruiters you speak of don't typically recruit uncommon young men.

I'm not being sarcastic.  CBB is determined to build this his way with low drama players.  Super recruiters who land the 5*s don't pass on talent because of character.

It's not a good fit.  CBB may sink with this ship but it will be captained his way.  I hope it floats.

ricepig

Bielema said tonight in Mt. Home that the new D-line coach should be named real soon, and that the other coach will be a LB coach. Rhoads will coach the secondary, as well as be the DC. Oh, the d-line coach will not be Partridge, not that we didn't already know that.

razorback355

Bielema said tonight in Mt. Home that the new D-line coach should be named real soon, and that the other coach will be a LB coach. Rhoads will coach the secondary, as well as be the DC. Oh, the d-line coach will not be Partridge, not that we didn't already know that.

Was hoping this is the way it would work out with the order of the coaches.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 09:45:06 pm

So hargreaves is out?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2017, 09:52:20 pm
So hargreaves is out?

Nope, we'll have two LB coaches, inside and outside.

Paul

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2017, 09:52:20 pm
So hargreaves is out?
I took it to mean an additional LB coach with Hargreaves

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 09:45:06 pm
Partridge has coached LBs before  ;)

RazorPiggie

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 06, 2017, 10:04:17 pm
Interesting.

I suspect our GA that replaces Alfred Davis will be a DB player like Aaron Henry was.

hogcam

February 06, 2017, 10:34:54 pm #130 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:45:37 pm by hogcam
Seems to be rumblings about Chad Walker. Not that he is hired or anything, but that we talked to him.  Has anyone heard?  Not sure how I feel about it.

hobhog

Quote from: Potosihog on February 06, 2017, 03:04:18 pm
The kind of super recruiters you speak of don't typically recruit uncommon young men.

I'm not being sarcastic.  CBB is determined to build this his way with low drama players.  Super recruiters who land the 5*s don't pass on talent because of character.

It's not a good fit.  CBB may sink with this ship but it will be captained his way.  I hope it floats.

Character and talent are not mutually exclusive

imtad16

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 09:57:26 pm
Nope, we'll have two LB coaches, inside and outside.

Quote from: Paul on February 06, 2017, 09:58:52 pm
I took it to mean an additional LB coach with Hargreaves

Is this common for a 3-4?

Hawg Life

Quote from: imtad16 on February 06, 2017, 10:47:32 pm

Yes, very common. An inside & outside LB coach.

onebadrubi

Quote from: imtad16 on February 06, 2017, 10:47:32 pm

Very much so. The linebackers take on such a different responsibility between the ILB and OLB that they need dedicated coaches.

imtad16

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 06, 2017, 11:08:05 pm
Very much so. The linebackers take on such a different responsibility between the ILB and OLB that they need dedicated coaches.

That makes since. #3-4Dlearningcurve

Quote from: colbs on February 06, 2017, 10:01:13 pm
Partridge has coached LBs before  ;)

The last time Coach Partridge was an LB assistant was in a Paul Rhodes coordinated D at Pittsburgh.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 06, 2017, 11:03:01 pm
Yes, very common. An inside & outside LB coach.

#uncommonlycommon?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

King Kong

Quote from: hogcam on February 06, 2017, 10:34:54 pm
Seems to be rumblings about Chad Walker. Not that he is hired or anything, but that we talked to him.  Has anyone heard?  Not sure how I feel about it.

Positives: Worked for Saban and was given big credit for OU's transition to the 3-4 from the Stoops bros. Has NFL experience and DC experience at a very small colleges.

Negatives: Despite having worked for those 2 high profile coaches no P5 school has actually ever made him a Asst. No recruiting history to speak of. Maybe he is great. Maybe he is Rory Segrest.

King Kong

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2017, 10:44:03 pm
Character and talent are not mutually exclusive

This is correct

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2017, 10:06:04 pm
I suspect our GA that replaces Alfred Davis will be a DB player like Aaron Henry was.

Wonder who that would be?

Dominicanhog

Eric Chinander coached OLB..

factchecker

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 07, 2017, 08:00:44 am
Eric Chinander coached OLB..

That's a thought.  I don't know if he would leave being a DC at UCF to coach a position here.  He makes $425k at UCF currently.

Here is a database for assistant coaches salaries:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

I have no idea how accurate this list may be.

ADD:  This list has Rory making a little over 300k.  This might give us an idea on what kind of money we are working with.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I've said this before but I wouldn't mind going after Brian Early.  He grad assisted here and is doing a great job over in jonesboro.  High energy and driven coach.  Pretty good guy too.

Most likely won't happen and would probably piss a lot of people off if it did.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dominicanhog

Quote from: factchecker on February 07, 2017, 08:05:59 am
That's a thought.  I don't know if he would leave being a DC at UCF to coach a position here.  He makes $425k at UCF currently.

it would need to be an Asst title attached..jmo.. Rice brought his name up a while back and does't usually throw names around without some insight.... I've been hoping since.. I think he'd be awesome..

ricepig

ADD:  This list has Rory making a little over 300k.  This might give us an idea on what kind of money we are working with.

I'll join the Wildhog camp, if money is limiting our choices, then the athletic department/administration has some of the blame to bear if it continues to go sideways. If you pay Segrest type money, you get Segrest type recruiting and coaching.

MuskogeeHogFan

Take note of #354 on that list: Alabama's DL Coach Karl Dunbar-$275,000
Go Hogs Go!

hawgjr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 07, 2017, 08:59:31 am
???

Youngsta71701

Has to be Partridge, right?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

King Kong

woodrow hog call

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 07, 2017, 08:59:31 am

Does not fit agenda, Does not fit agenda, Does not fit agenda, "We need to spend Bama type money"
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"