Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the GOAT of Arkansas Football, player wise?

Started by Ben, January 30, 2017, 09:34:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 07:26:38 am
Anyone who says somebody other than Lance Alworth is wasting the skin on your fingertips banging keys. Lance literally changed the game of football in the old AFL. With his blinding speed and tremendous athletic ability Lance made professional football a game of the forward pass. There are many great players but so very few innovators. Lance Alworth was an innovator. And please don't come with the "yeah, but he played in the 60's and early 70's before the NFL had fully accepted the Black athlete". WRONG.  Lance played in the AFL which was the haven of the great Black athlete at the time. Watch some of Lance's long TD catches from Hadl and you'll see that Lance competed almost exclusively against great Black athletes. I hate to have to bring that up, but I know there are some people who will say he wasn't playing against top shelf competition which is complete BS. The answer to the OP's question is Lance Alworth and it really isn't even close.

true about the professional game.. but i dont think he was used that well at Arkansas..  a different style of play... if you just looked at what they did on the Hill i think its mcfadden without question

oldfart

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 31, 2017, 08:55:18 am
I remember getting back from Iraq and flying home for post deployment leave and getting to XNA just in time to drive straight to Donald Dubya for the South Carolina game... He went off for 321 in the greatest single game performance I've had the pleasure of watching out of a Razorback.  I'm not as long in the tooth as some around here but for me it is DMAC and everyone else is a contest for second place. 

and yet spurrier refused to list him on his Heisman ballot

TushCrush

Cinco de Hogo

Matt Jones will alway be the most exciting player I ever saw with a ball in his hands while also in a Razorback uniform.

However Dmac wins the award.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HF#1 on January 31, 2017, 08:30:05 am
Darren McFadden and it isn't close.

Hampton was a one man wrecking machine to the offenses that opposed him....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

greenEGnHAWGS

Easy answer is obviously Run DMC...but...I offer you a new name that hasn't been mentioned...

Brandon Burlsworth

Hog in every sense of the word and one of the top in his position in the nation. Simply didn't play a flashy position that garnered national attention as much as RB/QB/WRs.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 31, 2017, 07:45:30 pm
Easy answer is obviously Run DMC...but...I offer you a new name that hasn't been mentioned...

Brandon Burlsworth

Hog. in every sense of the word and one of the top in his position in the nation. Simply didn't play a flashy position that garnered national attention as much as RB/QB/WRs.
Uhhhh...... he was an All American......  I'd say he got a good bit of national attention..... :)

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Gonzo on January 31, 2017, 04:50:26 pm

He certainly had a good case both years but what angered me the most about all that was the two-faced arguments against him. The first year it was argued Troy Smith should get the nod because DMac was an underclassman/sophomore, yet the very next season the very same argument was ignored in giving the trophy to a sophomore, the first time a non-upperclassman won the award. Complete horsecrap IMO

Go Hogs!

Adding to those examples was the College Football Final program that second time around when it seemed it was DMacs to lose ... Then Mark May chimed into the discussion. His one sentence ended any chance Darren had to win it ... "Darren McFadden is the best player in college football - the problem is he plays for a non-Heisman program, and a non-Heisman school."

And that was the end of it. From that point on, Tebow was the favorite and DMac was the best player in the NCAA who could not win it because of where he played.

I've despised Mark May and the whole Heisman BS ever since.

HogFoo

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 01:46:21 pm
I get exactly what you are saying and you are quite right. When I read the OP's thread starter the thought that first came to my mind was who had the best career simply because it said nothing about a time frame. So if we are gauging time spent at the UA, I'd have to go with a tie, Steve Atwater/Darren Mcfadden.  But if the you take into account the careers your top 3 are quite right and in this order, 1) Alworth, 2) Atwater  and 3) Dan Hampton....put it this way, we don't get players like those guys anymore

The Arkansas Razorbacks football team goes as the quality of Little Rock HS football goes. When central Arkansas has a banner crop, especially on defense, the Hogs can really compete against anyone in the SEC with exceptions of (right now) Alabama. Little Rock Central football's downhill slide has really hurt the Hog defense. And one more thing, we have too many players from Fayetteville getting quality playing time for my liking. JMHO.  I have no idea why Bielema doesn't come to Texarkana and recruit it harder, the border city produces talent every year. Just ask Oregon.
I think it has to go to DMAC.   He should have won 2 he is man trophys.  They didn't give it to him the first time because they said they don't give it to sophomores.   They didn't give it to him the 2nd time because they gave it to a sophomore.   Haha. I remember earlier in the year when Urban Meyer was coaching UF the year Tebow won and Urban had made a comment about how he believed that DMAC deserved to win the Heisman because he had saw DMAC blocking for Feliz on a kick return and he loved how DMAC ran all the way down blocking as hard as he could for someone else .  And Urban loved his unselfishness.  That was Urban Meyer saying that.  Then of course , Te ow wins it and Dmac was screwed again!   

I will say that I agree with your comments about central LR schools.  This is very true.  Whenever the LR schools have great talent, and the hogs get them, we can compete with just about any SEC school.  The last great crop was back in the 05-06 years.  And look how good we were.  Which all those players came from that LR Central school that had probably the greatest HS defense in state history.    Since then, nothing.  And we haven't had that great of defense.  We had the "triangle"  a couple years ago.  And because of spaight, philon, flowers, everyone thought that Coach smith was the greatest DC of all time.  They lwft, and so went our defense sadly.  Anyways back to the OP.

DMAC, not even close!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Youngsta71701

From the players I've had the privilege to see play since I can remember it's D-Mac and it's not even debatable.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hawgndaaz

DMac is in many folks top 10 SEC players of all time, yall.

I don't think this is debatable.

Also, dominant players when it was all 190lb white guys running the veer don't count, sorry.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 31, 2017, 07:50:10 pm
Uhhhh...... he was an All American......  I'd say he got a good bit of national attention..... :)

Interesting...how many ESPN highlights did you see of BB compared to DMac?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DeltaBoy

Dmac got shafted 2 times and I don't give a damn who wins that worthless hunk of Brass now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

secfan30

Gary Anderson is underrated in my opinion. He ended his career with about 4500 all purpose yards.

As much as I ove DMac, Alworth has to be the GOAT.

It's close between those two. Had DMac not been screwed out of the Heisman that was given to Tebow, I'd say he would be 1st.

justmakeit2thebcs

Felix Jones  7.6 yards per carry.....

but Alworth is GOAT.

Ben

Il ask this question: who would have been more dominant? Dmac in Alworths time, or Alworth in DMac's time?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2017, 12:45:43 pm
Dmac got shafted 2 times and I don't give a damn who wins that worthless hunk of Brass now.

I think it's bronze, Delta, but we get your point.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

KennyForAD

Quote from: secfan30 on February 01, 2017, 02:31:40 pm
Gary Anderson is underrated in my opinion. He ended his career with about 4500 all purpose yards.

As much as I ove DMac, Alworth has to be the GOAT.

It's close between those two. Had DMac not been screwed out of the Heisman that was given to Tebow, I'd say he would be 1st.

Remember when this was THE highlight of the NFL for like a decade?

secfan30

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 01, 2017, 09:12:16 pm
Remember when this was THE highlight of the NFL for like a decade?

Yes I do remember that highlight. I was just a kid, but remember it vividly.

plumbhog

Yeah the greatest was DMAC but nobody tried as hard as Casey Dick!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

majp51

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 01, 2017, 09:50:49 am
DMac is in many folks top 10 SEC players of all time, yall.

I don't think this is debatable.

Also, dominant players when it was all 190lb white guys running the veer don't count, sorry.

Lok DMAC was great, and may be current GOAT for the razorbacks,  but anyone who tells you top 10 of all time in in the SEC laces way too much weight on offense and the BCS ERA. Shoot in Running backs alone there is no way you can not rate him higher than 4th, because he really wasn't better than

Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Emmitt Smith

And he arguably isn't any better than
Eric Rhett
Kevin Faulk

From a purely SEC standpoint.

But, Let's Say he is one of the 4 Best RB of all time in the SEC (no mean feat there and high praise regardless) I still could not rate him above

Peyton Manning,
Cornelius Bennet (oh my gosh he was a beast)
Derrick Thomas (ditto, just amazing)
Reggie White,
Champ Bailey,
David Pollack,
Tracy Rocker

ANd that is just off the top of my head and doesn't include Julio Jones, AJ Green, any Tight End , or any OL. And honestly in terms of SEC history and For it could be argued Kevin Butler should be up there. hAnd I only bothered to include people I saw play, which means I don't have Steve Spurrier, Archie Manning and tons of other truly amazing players from before the late 1970's.

dcrback

I think to be able to compare DMAC to Bambi...you have to be old enough to have seen both play.
So being old as dirt, I have to go with Bambi.  :(
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

DLUXHOG

Well, if you look at NFL careers... Bambi, Hampton and others all had better, and were more durable during their NFL careers, however if you look at on field performance as a Razorback, who lit it up and seriously changed the outcome of games.......  I'd say DMAC gets that vote.... NFL...mmmmm... nope....

hawgmasta

Quote from: hogz11 on January 30, 2017, 10:57:40 pm
It's Darren McFadden and it's probably not close.

He was an Arkansas kid, embraced being a Hog, and had fans holding their breath every time he touched the ball. Should've won at least one Heisman and maybe two if the award wasn't so controlled by media.

He owns just about every Arkansas rushing record and would've owned every SEC rushing record if he came back for his senior year.

Run DMC baby......

Just saw this and had to bump. Just in case anybody didn't know, it's DMAC.

EastexHawg

Quote from: majp51 on February 03, 2017, 10:16:20 pm
Lok DMAC was great, and may be current GOAT for the razorbacks,  but anyone who tells you top 10 of all time in in the SEC laces way too much weight on offense and the BCS ERA. Shoot in Running backs alone there is no way you can not rate him higher than 4th, because he really wasn't better than

Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Emmitt Smith

Eric Rhett
Kevin Faulk

But, Let's Say he is one of the 4 Best RB of all time in the SEC (no mean feat there and high praise regardless) I still could not rate him above

Peyton Manning,
Reggie White,
Champ Bailey,
David Pollack,
Tracy Rocker

ANd that is just off the top of my head and doesn't include Julio Jones, AJ Green, any Tight End , or any OL. And honestly in terms of SEC history and For it could be argued Kevin Butler should be up there. hAnd I only bothered to include people I saw play, which means I don't have Steve Spurrier, Archie Manning and tons of other truly amazing players from before the late 1970's.

Fran Tarkenton
Bart Starr
Jim Taylor
Joe Namath
John Hannah
Billy Cannon
Shaun Alexander
Lee Roy Jordan
Ken Stabler
Charles Alexander
B e r t Jones
Frank Sinkwich
Y.A. Tittle
Charlie Conerly

Herschel Walker is the greatest back in SEC history, probably the greatest player period.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 06, 2017, 10:16:09 pm
Fran Tarkenton
Bart Starr
Jim Taylor
Joe Namath
John Hannah
Billy Cannon
Shaun Alexander
Lee Roy Jordan
Ken Stabler
Charles Alexander
B e r t Jones
Frank Sinkwich

Herschel Walker is the greatest back in SEC history, probably the greatest player period.
agree..... in spades.............

colbs

Quote from: majp51 on February 03, 2017, 10:16:20 pm

Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Emmitt Smith

Eric Rhett
Kevin Faulk

Peyton Manning,
Reggie White,
Champ Bailey,
David Pollack,
Tracy Rocker

Dmac is among the top 3 best SEC RBs ever, no doubt.  4,590 rushing yards, 41 rushing TDs, 2x first team AA, 2x Doak Walker award winner, 2x Heisman runner up, 3x All SEC first team.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: colbs on February 06, 2017, 10:43:41 pm
Dmac is among the top 3 best SEC RBs ever, no doubt.  4,590 rushing yards, 41 rushing TDs, 2x first team AA, 2x Doak Walker award winner, 2x Heisman runner up, 3x All SEC first team.

and he did that with 2 other nfl backs in the backfield with him..lol

#1 STUNNA

Darren Mcfadden... and if used right it should have been Matt Jones...

CrookedSquealliry

That kid from Little Rock that doesn't produce athletes.  His number was #5.
Not even close. 

FANONTHEHILL

Lance Alworth, Dan Hampton, and now Jerry Jones will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but as a college football player, there has only been one guy that sat in Downtown Athletic Club the second week of December and watched someone else be handed what should have been his Heisman trophy and that's #5.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawganatic

Matt Jones was the most exciting/fun to watch.  Not sure how much better he made the team though. 

I can't really comment on Lance Alworth.  Before my time and don't really know much about him except he played for the Chargers and had a great pro career.

DMac changed football with the wildcat.  Look at how often this formation is still being ran.  No telling how many players were able to make teams or extend their careers because of the wildcat, at the college and pro level.  He's also rated as the third best SEC running back of all time by most people who like to rank SEC running backs.

His lasting impact on the game, with the stats he put up while he was here its DMAC as the best ever.

PoormansRobbyHampton

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 31, 2017, 02:07:43 pm
It should be Matt Jones. 

How can Jones be the GOAT when he's not even the greatest at his position?