Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rivals Recruiting Ranking - Hogs @ #25

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, January 30, 2017, 04:02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael D Huff AIA

Just saw that Rivals has an updated list of recruiting classes ahead of national signing day.  Schools of note...

#1 Alabama          3199
#3 Georgia           2825
#5 Oklahoma         2551
#7 LSU                  2406
#8 Texas A&M        2257
#11 Tennessee       2040
#15 Auburn            1861
#17 Clemson         1826
#19 Florida            1752
#24 Kentucky         1708
#25 Arkansas         1669
#27 Louisville         1612
#28 Washington      1604
#32 Mississippi St.  1566
#33 Baylor              1530
#35 Oklahoma St.   1501
#37 Texas              1467
#45 Wisconsin         1401
#60 Vanderbilt       1140
#70 Ole Miss          1020

This list puts us 9th in the SEC, but ahead of some other schools that had good years (Louisville, Washington, Oklahoma St.). 

Discuss...

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Michael D Huff AIA

rzrbk4life

Surprised Clemson is at #17 considering they are coming off a Natty. Aren't they normally in the top 10?
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

It looks like the typical average recruiting year for Arkansas football.  I'm sure just about any 5-10 year period you sampled since recruiting rankings began will have Arkansas ranked somewhere between 25 and 35 in the country, 8 and 11 in the SEC.  So we are doing exactly what we do every year.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

I'm not here to debate any recruiting service over another, but I just glanced at Scout and found one thing interesting.  Arkansas, ranked 27th, has 5 JUCO commits among its 24.  The entire top 25 in the Scout rankings have a total of 16 JUCOs.

Seems like someone is maybe feeling a sense of urgency.

LRRandy

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 30, 2017, 04:02:23 pm
Just saw that Rivals has an updated list of recruiting classes ahead of national signing day.  Schools of note...

#1 Alabama          3199
#3 Georgia           2825
#5 Oklahoma         2551
#7 LSU                  2406
#8 Texas A&M        2257
#11 Tennessee       2040
#15 Auburn            1861
#17 Clemson         1826
#19 Florida            1752
#24 Kentucky         1708
#25 Arkansas         1669
#27 Louisville         1612
#28 Washington      1604
#32 Mississippi St.  1566
#33 Baylor              1530
#35 Oklahoma St.   1501
#37 Texas              1467
#45 Wisconsin         1401
#60 Vanderbilt       1140
#70 Ole Miss          1020

This list puts us 9th in the SEC, but ahead of some other schools that had good years (Louisville, Washington, Oklahoma St.). 

Discuss...
what, no link?
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

No. 25 is probably about right.  Right in line with most years.  I think the 4 major services had us ranked a few days ago between 22-27.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on January 30, 2017, 04:32:38 pm
what, no link?

Who cares. tosu is probably #2 on most any site.  Maybe #1 on some.

870hogfan

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 30, 2017, 04:28:44 pm
Maybe Burt wants to turn us into the SEC's version of Kansas State.

Who is Burt?

jkstock04

I thought consensus around here was that rivals was a joke not worth looking at?

In all seriousness though...247 is probably the best in my opinion. How they do the composite is a fair way of measurement. I just laugh...every year around signing day whichever service has us ranked the highest is "the best one."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TX HOG

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 30, 2017, 06:10:55 pm
every year around signing day whichever service has us ranked the highest is "the best one."
Only to the uneducated.  Most of us prefer 247 because of the Composite and the fact that they have the largest and most experienced group of evaluators.

Why do you insist on basing all your descriptions of Hogville on the lowest common denominators?
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 30, 2017, 06:27:39 pm
Only to the uneducated.  Most of us prefer 247 because of the Composite and the fact that they have the largest and most experienced group of evaluators.

Why do you insist on basing all your descriptions of Hogville on the lowest common denominators?

Well, they also give kids 4* without ever seeing them based on offers, too.

Arkansas Fan

All that matters is how they perform on the field...

TransAmHawg

It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Fort Dweller

Quote from: TransAmHawg on January 30, 2017, 07:07:22 pm

Google Burt the Conqueror

I AM THE MACHINE!
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2017, 06:31:26 pm
Well, they also give kids 4* without ever seeing them based on offers, too.

The most credible thing they could do. 

hogcard1964

jmark

we've got to start reaching for a higher recruiting rank
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jmark on January 30, 2017, 08:34:46 pm
we've got to start reaching for a higher recruiting rank

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 30, 2017, 04:05:24 pm
LOL on OM.
where are all those liars who claimed Freezus was a great recruiter? Looks like Barney was the man...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

pigroots

Baylor ahead of Texas is shocking. Hogs are in good shape as they consistently are in the top 25 getting players that fit their system

Sed76

25th? We have the freaking Catfish Hole for goodness sakes. That should help us be able to out recruit Kentucky one would think. ;)

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 30, 2017, 04:10:32 pm
LOL on Rivals.

#30 on 247 Composite behind both Miss State & Kentucky... and Louisville.  #11 in the SEC.

Ole Miss wallowing around at #53 with only 14 commits, but their Avg Recruit Ranking is higher than ours and significantly higher than any of the teams around them in the overall Composite.

They're clearly not as good as Bama and some of our other SEC peers when it comes to Pay for Play, but I don't really fault them for trying.  Go big or go home.
The composite is confusing to me.  Arkansas is ranked 29, not 30 in the composite rankings.  But ESPN ranks the hogs 22, 247 ranks 22, Rivals 25, and Scout 27.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TX HOG on January 30, 2017, 06:12:48 pm
Baylor at 33? Wow

Baptist always pass the collection plate to pay for their "services providers".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sed76 on January 30, 2017, 09:51:33 pm
25th? We have the freaking Catfish Hole for goodness sakes. That should help us be able to out recruit Kentucky one would think. ;)

Kentucky has bourbon...........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

8th in the league.  Probably where we finish next season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 30, 2017, 06:10:55 pm
I thought consensus around here was that rivals was a joke not worth looking at?

In all seriousness though...247 is probably the best in my opinion. How they do the composite is a fair way of measurement. I just laugh...every year around signing day whichever service has us ranked the highest is "the best one."

I'm not necessarily a "consensus" sort of guy.

DeltaBoy

We still need to improve to get better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Hogwild

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 30, 2017, 04:10:32 pm
LOL on Rivals.

#30 on 247 Composite behind both Miss State & Kentucky... and Louisville.  #11 in the SEC.

Ole Miss wallowing around at #53 with only 14 commits, but their Avg Recruit Ranking is higher than ours and significantly higher than any of the teams around them in the overall Composite.

They're clearly not as good as Bama and some of our other SEC peers when it comes to Pay for Play, but I don't really fault them for trying.  Go big or go home.

There is no guarantee that Ole Miss will keep those 14 commits, State is going hard at a couple of them, not sure if Gay is still listed as an Ole Miss commitment, but he will chose between State & LSU tomorrow.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/27/14413288/mississippi-state-dd-bowie-ole-miss-national-signing-day

jcbville

The Clemson program alone should make people realize that you don't have to be even in the top 10 in recruiting to win a natty. Top 25-30 maybe. Recognizing and developing talent will out do raw star power every time.

Pork Twain

About where we always have been and about where we will always be.  We just have to continue to have a low miss-rate and develop our talent.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

B501

Quote from: jcbville on January 31, 2017, 10:31:54 am
The Clemson program alone should make people realize that you don't have to be even in the top 10 in recruiting to win a natty. Top 25-30 maybe. Recognizing and developing talent will out do raw star power every time.

clemson is stacked with 4 and 5 star talent tho

2017 national recruiting rank 13 with nine ★★★★ and two ★★★★★ 
2016 national recruiting rank 11 with twelve ★★★★ and one ★★★★★
2015 national recruiting rank 9 with nine ★★★★ and three ★★★★★
2014 national recruiting rank 17 with ten ★★★★
2013 national recruiting rank 15 with ten  ★★★★ and one ★★★★★

Pork Twain

Quote from: jcbville on January 31, 2017, 10:31:54 am
Lets not pretend that Clemson's roster is not stacked with talent from top to bottom.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Atlhogfan1

The eye opening numbers, and shouldn't be now but still are for some, come when you segregate out teams by conference and for example find the Hogs 10th and see a program like Washington 4th in the Pac 12 and a Penn St 3rd in the B1G yet ranked in our range overall.  (not sure of the actual exact numbers of these teams or conferences as I haven't looked yet for this year)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

There are not many teams above us that I believe we should be beating on a consistent basis in recruiting. We are probably over performing when you factor in geography.

jcbville

Quote from: b501 on January 31, 2017, 10:42:17 am
clemson is stacked with 4 and 5 star talent tho

2017 national recruiting rank 13 with nine ★★★★ and two ★★★★★ 
2016 national recruiting rank 11 with twelve ★★★★ and one ★★★★★
2015 national recruiting rank 9 with nine ★★★★ and three ★★★★★
2014 national recruiting rank 17 with ten ★★★★
2013 national recruiting rank 15 with ten  ★★★★ and one ★★★★★

Stacked? Yet they barely break the top 10 once? It clearly points to great development and utilization of the talent they do get. 

hogcard1964

I just hope we have one or two moves left that'll be made by tomorrow.  These days are always a disappointment.

hogsanity

Quote from: jcbville on January 31, 2017, 10:53:36 am
Stacked? Yet they barely break the top 10 once? It clearly points to great development and utilization of the talent they do get. 

no, there classes are top loaded, previous 4 classes had 41 4 stars and 5 5 star players. The bottom of those classes brought them down, but they got plenty of talent in those 4 classes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwild

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2017, 10:52:33 am
There are not many teams above us that I believe we should be beating on a consistent basis in recruiting. We are probably over performing when you factor in geography.

You can't convince me that the 11th ranked recruiting class in the conference is over performing. Two of the three schools below us are under NCAA investigation and the other is Vandy.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on January 31, 2017, 11:37:53 am
You can't convince me that the 11th ranked recruiting class in the conference is over performing. Two of the three schools below us are under NCAA investigation and the other is Vandy.

10th- I'm assuming Mizzou is below and SC is above.

Who should we be outperforming in the rankings out of the 9 above us?  UK?  Ok.  They do have location but not an emphasis on football. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2017, 11:42:12 am
10th- I'm assuming Mizzou is below and SC is above.

Who should we be outperforming in the rankings out of the 9 above us?  UK?  Ok.  They do have location but not an emphasis on football.

As of today we are 11th, only Missouri, Ole Miss, and Vandy are below us.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

theshiva

We should never be behind Kentucky, MSU, Vandy, Mizzou, etc

Hopefully the Calloway bump will put us over Kentucky and MSU on 247.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Hogwild on January 31, 2017, 11:37:53 am

This ranking is the same as it is just about every year. 

BUT, Arkansas had the majority of its class committed early this year-- presumably, that means the coaches took kids they wanted and had recruited for a long time.  I do think that's a positive, and really not TOO much spin.   

Pork Twain

January 31, 2017, 11:54:58 am #48 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:08:43 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2017, 10:50:41 am
The eye opening numbers, and shouldn't be now but still are for some, come when you segregate out teams by conference and for example find the Hogs 10th and see a program like Washington 4th in the Pac 12 and a Penn St 3rd in the B1G yet ranked in our range overall.  (not sure of the actual exact numbers of these teams or conferences as I haven't looked yet for this year)
I looked at where we would finish in other conferences based on our 247 national composite ranking.

We have been in the SEC for long enough to do some serious trend analysis and I am still surprised that after all this time and pretty consistent results, people still expect something out of character to become the new norm.