Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long “You have to make decisions you believe are best for your program".

Started by smb, October 31, 2017, 08:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: smb on November 03, 2017, 05:08:14 am
I got to believe Jeff Long is here unless he wants a change.

This, and Bret is back if he wants to back as long as wins Saturday AND any one of the last 3 SEC games.

jrulz83

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on November 02, 2017, 08:36:01 pm
He won't be here, he's gone and Long won't be far behind him.

Wrong.

Wish in one hand and darn in the other.

See which fills up first.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pork Twain

Quote from: smb on October 31, 2017, 08:16:27 am
When will Hog fans hear this?
I have yet to see Hogville posters happy with anything any AD or coach has done, across the board.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

tbhogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 31, 2017, 10:48:59 am
$4 million is the going rate for mediocre+ coaches in the NCAA. That is just what they cost these days.
Look I don't want anybody to take me for a Bielema defender, I wouldn't have hired him. From my perspective, this is just the way the business works.
Let's look at the current top 25 for coaches who make LESS than CBB and are actually performing:
CBB= 4.2 M
#2 Georgia  Kirby Smart 3.7M
#4 Wisconsin Paul Chryst 3.2M
#5 Notre Dame Brian Kelly 1.6M
#8 Oklahoma Lincoln Riley 2.1M
#12 Washington Chris Peterson 4.1M
#13 Va Tech Justin Fuente 3.2M
#14 Iowa State Matt Campbell 2.1M
#15 UCF Scott Frost 2.0M
#19 LSU Ed Ogeron 3.5M
#20 NC State Dave Doeren 2.2M
#22 Memphis Mike Norvell 1.8M
#25 Washington State Mike Leach 3.0M

That's TWELVE of the top 25 programs in the country who pay their coaches LESS than CBB (some don't publish their coaches pay, so it could be more).  Sorry, but the "$4M is what it takes to buy a mediocre coach" argument that I read all over Hogville simply does not hold water when you start looking at programs that are performing well. 
Go Hogs!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on October 31, 2017, 03:43:09 pm
Seriously? I'd be in favor of the U of A parting ways with Bret and making Rhoads interim HC today then hiring Brent Venables tomorrow.

Rhoads can coach the team the rest of the season while Venables would be talking to recruits and working on building his coaching staff.
So if you can't have Venables what is plan B?  Keep Bielema?  Somebody else?

jrulz83

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 03, 2017, 09:46:58 am
Let's look at the current top 25 for coaches who make LESS than CBB and are actually performing:
CBB= 4.2 M
#2 Georgia  Kirby Smart 3.7M
#4 Wisconsin Paul Chryst 3.2M
#5 Notre Dame Brian Kelly 1.6M
#8 Oklahoma Lincoln Riley 2.1M
#12 Washington Chris Peterson 4.1M
#13 Va Tech Justin Fuente 3.2M
#14 Iowa State Matt Campbell 2.1M
#15 UCF Scott Frost 2.0M
#19 LSU Ed Ogeron 3.5M
#20 NC State Dave Doeren 2.2M
#22 Memphis Mike Norvell 1.8M
#25 Washington State Mike Leach 3.0M

That's TWELVE of the top 25 programs in the country who pay their coaches LESS than CBB (some don't publish their coaches pay, so it could be more).  Sorry, but the "$4M is what it takes to buy a mediocre coach" argument that I read all over Hogville simply does not hold water when you start looking at programs that are performing well.

And all but about 3 of these jobs is an easier one to recruit to than Arkansas. Better recruits for level of competition; better job performance.

Also, so that there is an apples to apples comparison, average salary for a  "mediocre" SEC coach is what?

aloha_kid

Quote from: riccoar on October 31, 2017, 08:26:01 am
After the John L. debacle, I want no more interims.  Ever.

With the JLS debacle, why do we think this is Brets 5 year?  I mean that JLS experiment was like a death penalty with games played.

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 03, 2017, 09:49:12 am
So if you can't have Venables what is plan B?  Keep Bielema?  Somebody else?

Norvell and the coach from Iowa State are 2 others but they wouldn't come till after the regular season ends.

There are others too but if they got Venables, he's a coordinator and would likely come to campus immediately if he accepts the job.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 12:52:59 pm
Norvell and the coach from Iowa State are 2 others but they wouldn't come till after the regular season ends.

There are others too but if they got Venables, he's a coordinator and would likely come to campus immediately if he accepts the job.

If Clemson is in the CFP, Venables won't go anywhere until that business is finished.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:54:02 pm
If Clemson is in the CFP, Venables won't go anywhere until that business is finished.

I disagree. He isn't going to turn down 3.5 to 4 Million a year just to serve as DC for the CFP. Now Arkansas may allow him to go to the National title game and stand on the sideline to encourage his former players if Clemson makes it that far.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 01:28:33 pm
I disagree. He isn't going to turn down 3.5 to 4 Million a year just to serve as DC for the CFP. Now Arkansas may allow him to go to the National title game and stand on the sideline to encourage his former players if Clemson makes it that far.

I can't think of an AD that would demand Venables be on campus asap. Long would allow him to finish at Clemson as the DC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HotlantaHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:54:02 pm
Kiffin would have been on the sidelines if he hadn't screwed up.

HF#1

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 01:35:58 pm
I can't think of an AD that would demand Venables be on campus asap. Long would allow him to finish at Clemson as the DC.

Just proves that Jeff Long is no Frank Broyles. Frank would insist that Venables come immediately to campus and go to work if he wants the job.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 01:51:19 pm
Just proves that Jeff Long is no Frank Broyles. Frank would insist that Venables come immediately to campus and go to work if he wants the job.

Venables would tell him to go to hell. Frank lost Bill Self because of his lack of flexibility.

tbhogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 03, 2017, 12:45:42 pm
And all but about 3 of these jobs is an easier one to recruit to than Arkansas. Better recruits for level of competition; better job performance.

Also, so that there is an apples to apples comparison, average salary for a  "mediocre" SEC coach is what?

CBB 4.2M  1-4, 3-5
MEDIOCRE/POOR
Fla McElwain FIRED 4.4 M
Tenn Butch Jones (Likely to be fired at the end of the year) 4.1 M
Mizzou Barry Odom 2.3M
Vanderbilt Derek Mason 2.7M
Ole Miss Matt Luke 1.1M
aTm Kevin Sumlin (3-2, 5-3) 5M
PRETTY DARNED GOOD
USCe Will Muschamp (Currently 6-2, 4-2) 3.1M
Gus Malzahn (Currently 4-1, 6-2) 4.5M
#2 Georgia  Kirby Smart (Currently 5-0, 8-0) 3.7M
#19 LSU Ed Ogeron (3-1, 6-2) 3.5M
Kentucky Mark Stoops (3-2, 6-2) 3.7M
Dan Mullen (Ever been to Starkville? 3-2, 6-2) 4.5M

BEST OF THE BEST
Nick Saban 11.1M (and worth every dime)

I've bolded the five coaches in the SEC who make more than CBB. 
One has been fired and one who makes almost as much is very likely to be fired (Both of them fall into my Mediocre/Poor category).
I consider Sumlin mediocre due to constant under-performance, but do not feel he will be fired.
The coaches who make more than CBB that still have jobs have a combined  15-5 conference record so far this year. 
If you add McElwain into that they're still 18-8.

How about them apples?  ;)
Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 01:52:59 pm
Venables would tell him to go to hell. Frank lost Bill Self because of his lack of flexibility.

No, Frank lost Bill Self because John White would not let Frank hire him.

Because of Nolan's lawsuit against the U of A, John White wanted to hire another African American HC so the U of A wouldn't look racially biased.

HF#1

jrulz83

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 03, 2017, 02:05:56 pm
CBB 4.2M  1-4, 3-5
MEDIOCRE/POOR
Fla McElwain FIRED 4.4 M
Tenn Butch Jones (Likely to be fired at the end of the year) 4.1 M
Mizzou Barry Odom 2.3M
Vanderbilt Derek Mason 2.7M
Ole Miss Matt Luke 1.1M
aTm Kevin Sumlin (3-2, 5-3) 5M
PRETTY DARNED GOOD
USCe Will Muschamp (Currently 6-2, 4-2) 3.1M
Gus Malzahn (Currently 4-1, 6-2) 4.5M
#2 Georgia  Kirby Smart (Currently 5-0, 8-0) 3.7M
#19 LSU Ed Ogeron (3-1, 6-2) 3.5M
Kentucky Mark Stoops (3-2, 6-2) 3.7M
Dan Mullen (Ever been to Starkville? 3-2, 6-2) 4.5M

BEST OF THE BEST
Nick Saban 11.1M (and worth every dime)

I've bolded the five coaches in the SEC who make more than CBB. 
One has been fired and one who makes almost as much is very likely to be fired (Both of them fall into my Mediocre/Poor category).
I consider Sumlin mediocre due to constant under-performance, but do not feel he will be fired.
The coaches who make more than CBB that still have jobs have a combined  15-5 conference record so far this year. 
If you add McElwain into that they're still 18-8.

How about them apples?  ;)

Interesting stuff. Again, I'm not defending Bielema, wouldn't have ever hired the guy.

Your post proves that there's is nothing wrong with what I said originally. $4.2 million isn't ridiculous to be paying him. Now of course here comes the 10-26, blah blah blah stuff. Sure he hasn't won like he ought to have.

To that I say, but of course you can get more for less, isn't that like shopping for anything?

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on November 03, 2017, 02:18:44 pm
No, Frank lost Bill Self because John White would not let Frank hire him.

Because of Nolan's lawsuit against the U of A, John White wanted to hire another African American HC so the U of A wouldn't look racially biased.
Guv, consistently wrong on everything, but at least he is consistent
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma