Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Naismith Hall Of Fame

Started by chiefhawg, April 04, 2016, 01:50:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rwspear

He had stiff competition. Izzo and McLendon were obviously better choices, IMO.

King Kong

How Cal got in before Izzo I will never understand

chiefhawg

Quote from: King Kong on April 04, 2016, 03:15:18 pm
How Cal got in before Izzo I will never understand
It is probably the Kentucky "Blue Blood" connection that got Cal in and is holding Eddie out. They probably have not forgiven him for leaving them on probation. Just my guess.

ChicoHog

Eddie deserves it and will get in at some point. I just hope he is still living when that happens.

intelligence

Inhogswetrust

I think only one thing is keeping him out and that's not having a NC. However other coaches in don't have one. Travesty.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TomBigBeeHog

He's a great coach. He will be nominated again in the next class.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

bigredone

He was a good coach that failed at KY. Not sure that is the credentials of a Naismith HOF inductee.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigredone on April 05, 2016, 11:22:26 pm
He was a good coach that failed at KY. Not sure that is the credentials of a Naismith HOF inductee.

That's a fair point, I guess I mainly go off of what he did here.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

alaback

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 06, 2016, 07:43:51 am

He also went to 2 Final Fours at Okie St.

Atlhogfan1

800+ wins
First coach to take 4 different programs to NCAAT
3 F4's

This is the easiest of the sports HOF's to get in so he should make it in.  Coaches with much fewer wins and even 0 F4's are in.  If this HOF were more selective, then I could see the debate. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 06, 2016, 08:35:14 am
800+ wins
First coach to take 4 different programs to NCAAT
3 F4's

This is the easiest of the sports HOF's to get in so he should make it in.  Coaches with much fewer wins and even 0 F4's are in.  If this HOF were more selective, then I could see the debate.

If what you say is true, why isn't he already in?

alaback

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 06, 2016, 08:37:26 am

This probably has something to do with it...

The NCAA uncovered violations so egregious that it seriously considered hitting the Wildcats with the "death penalty", which would have shut down the entire basketball program (as opposed to simply being banned from postseason play) for up to two years.

Kentucky was eligible for this severe penalty because it was already on probation for failing to cooperate with an investigation into an extensive scheme of payments to recruits. However, after school president David Roselle told Sutton that he had enough support from UK's board of trustees to fire him, Sutton resigned shortly before the final report came out. Athletic director Cliff Hagan resigned as well. The Wildcats were slapped with three years' probation, a two-year ban from postseason play and a ban from live television in 1989–90. Manuel was also banned from ever playing again for any NCAA member school.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 06, 2016, 08:37:26 am

Don't know.  Not a voter.  Could guess.  Perhaps his personal issues which given some who are in still shouldn't matter. 

Klein has his opinion:(not that I'm saying he is right or wrong)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/john-klein-voters-again-ignore-eddie-sutton-s-hall-of/article_9f0ecab9-9088-5649-91e2-103d024abc04.html
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: alaback on April 06, 2016, 08:58:36 am
This probably has something to do with it...

The NCAA uncovered violations so egregious that it seriously considered hitting the Wildcats with the "death penalty", which would have shut down the entire basketball program (as opposed to simply being banned from postseason play) for up to two years.

Kentucky was eligible for this severe penalty because it was already on probation for failing to cooperate with an investigation into an extensive scheme of payments to recruits. However, after school president David Roselle told Sutton that he had enough support from UK's board of trustees to fire him, Sutton resigned shortly before the final report came out. Athletic director Cliff Hagan resigned as well. The Wildcats were slapped with three years' probation, a two-year ban from postseason play and a ban from live television in 1989–90. Manuel was also banned from ever playing again for any NCAA member school.

Hasn't prevented the inclusion of others. 

Dr. Starcs

If cheating didnt keep calipari out, it shouldn't be the thing that keeps Eddie out.

alaback

I don't disagree and think it's a no brainier. Just providing some rationale for what the voters are thinking.

bigredone

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 06, 2016, 07:43:51 am

Being the 2nd best coach at AR is not a qualifier for the Naismith. Was he the best coach at any of the schools he coached at? Maybe Creighton.

He was great for the AR program. We are not the world.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigredone on April 06, 2016, 09:14:06 am
Being the 2nd best coach at AR is not a qualifier for the Naismith. Was he the best coach at any of the schools he coached at? Maybe Creighton.

Not relevant or necessary.  Programs have had multiple HOF coaches.  Only one could be the "best" at any one of them. 

King Kong

Eddie Sutton wasn't just great here. His numbers are HOF worthy

ShadowHawg

He was also a cheater. If you win a lot, you can cheat and get in. It's another strike against him.

Is Lon Kruger a HOF coach? I only ask because that is pretty much Sutton's equivalent in today's game.

HogBreath

In his 5th year at Arkansas, Coach Sutton's team went 25-5 and made the elite 8.  The year before that we went 32-4 and made the final 4.  The year before that we went 26-2. 

I liked Coach Sutton.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ChicoHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 06, 2016, 02:49:34 pm
He was also a cheater. If you win a lot, you can cheat and get in. It's another strike against him.

Is Lon Kruger a HOF coach? I only ask because that is pretty much Sutton's equivalent in today's game.
No he was not.  He was a phenomenal coach.  He belongs in the HOF for sure.  Kruger may be there someday but not yet.   And Kruger is a very good coach. 

HogBreath

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 06, 2016, 07:06:45 pm
No he was not.  He was a phenomenal coach.  He belongs in the HOF for sure.  Kruger may be there someday but not yet.   And Kruger is a very good coach. 
He won over 800 games in his career, how many have done that?

And he won most of those games in a time when college basketball was something special.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hoglady

Nolan was handed a program that had great University and fan support.
Sutton had won multiple SWC titles, with multiple NCAA appearances and 1 Final Four.
When Sutton arrived basketball was played in an arena with a dirt floor and you couldn't give away the tickets for free.

They both are great coaches and both were wonderful for Arkansas.
But Nolan would have never ever taken this job if Sutton had not built the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hoglady on April 06, 2016, 08:19:02 pm
Sutton had won multiple SWC titles, with multiple NCAA appearances and 1 Final Four.
When Sutton arrived basketball was played in an arena with a dirt floor and you couldn't give away the tickets for free.

But Nolan would have never ever taken this job if Sutton had not built the program.

Sutton really built something great here. He deserves to be in the HOF based on his body of work, IMO.

hoglady

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 07, 2016, 02:08:48 pm
Sutton really built something great here. He deserves to be in the HOF based on his body of work, IMO.

Sutton built Creighton and he also rebuilt Okie St.
He's worthy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

HogBreath

Quote from: hoglady on April 07, 2016, 03:23:28 pm
He's worthy.
Exactly, I'm sure he made some mistakes along the way, but he should be in the hall.  Probably one thing that might hold him back is he never won the Championship, but he had some great teams here and also at Ok. State.  I had to look at his record to realize it, but he had pretty lofty accomplishments as the head Cowpoke.

SuperSid4Ever

Sutton left measurable success behind at Creighton to come here and build us into a nationally respected program.  He restored Okie State from an absolute dump of a program,  Him not being selected for the HOF is a travesty, IMHO.

chiefhawg

Quote from: hoglady on April 06, 2016, 08:19:02 pm

Did Nolan say that or you just guessing?

hoglady

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 08, 2016, 04:15:58 pm
Did Nolan say that or you just guessing?

Nolan had great success at Tulsa and he would have been way too good for this program - he had accomplished enough to move up not move down. If Sutton had not built Arkansas, it would have been a step down for Nolan no doubt.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hoglady on April 07, 2016, 03:23:28 pm
He's worthy.

Creighton ended up on probation almost immediately after Sutton left. Some say it was his fault. OSU has just fired it's last two coaches.

If this is the standard for a HOF coach, then MA is just about there. He rebuilt UAB, rebuilt Mizzou, and if he can pull it out next season, will have rebuilt this job.

HOF?

Sivad

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 08, 2016, 10:34:24 pm
If this is the standard for a HOF coach, then MA is just about there. He rebuilt UAB, rebuilt Mizzou, and if he can pull it out next season, will have rebuilt this job.
Who knew?

PonderinHog

Just testing to see if this thread automatically goes to Vent and Rumors when I post in it. 

This place is dead!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sivad on April 08, 2016, 11:13:52 pm
Who knew?

LOL. I mean I like MA, but never realized he was HOF material until this thread!

maxhog5

April 10, 2016, 01:45:13 am #36 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:58:09 am by maxhog5
Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 08, 2016, 10:34:24 pm
Creighton ended up on probation almost immediately after Sutton left. Some say it was his fault. OSU has just fired it's last two coaches.

HOF?

Over ten years later is almost immediately after?  http://www.nytimes.com/1985/07/03/sports/sports-people-creighton-on-probation.html  Sutton took two different schools to the final four a total of 3 times so I would say by Sutton standards then MA hasn't built or rebuilt anything.  Sutton is also one of only 8 coaches with over 800 wins.  You also ridicule Travis Ford for being fired despite taking OSU to the NCAA in 5 of 8 years.  Sounds like OSU has higher standards and expectations than we have at Arkansas.

maxhog5

Two things I always appreciated about Sutton were first of all, he was the master tactician at the end of games.  With the score tied or the Hogs trailing by one, Arkansas was going to have the ball and the play he called was going to result in the winning basket, time and time and time again.  Secondly was his ability to adapt.  He won before and after the shot clock and he won with teams built around guards, built around forwards and on two different occasions with teams built around a center.  By the same token, the two things I appreciate Richardson for was first off his fire and drive.  His passion and his will to succeed were unparalleled.  And his Hogs fed off him.  The second thing was his ability to assemble a team who could do exactly what he needed them to do.  He was a master recruiter, not because he could get great players, although he did get his share, but because he had such an understanding of his system and what he wanted to do, he got the players he needed to run it.   

hog.goblin

April 10, 2016, 10:37:16 am #38 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:25:51 pm by hog.goblin

I'm not sure I would call 75 - 20 and two 1st place conference finishes in the first 3 seasons a failure, not even by Kentucky standards.

The 4th year was a disaster, but it seems that was mainly due to losing 3 starters t graduation, 1 early to the NBA, and 2 big recruits because of possible sanctions.

ChicoHog

I think just about all of us agree he was a great coach and should be in the HOF except Shadow Hog who for some reason thinks Mike Anderson is in the same class as Sutton.  Anderson is still in Kindergarten and Sutton received a PHD in basketball.   The only think they have in common is they both have coached at Arkansas. 

HogBreath

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 10, 2016, 02:45:09 pm
I think just about all of us agree he was a great coach and should be in the HOF except Shadow Hog who for some reason thinks Mike Anderson is in the same class as Sutton.  Anderson is still in Kindergarten and Sutton received a PHD in basketball.   The only think they have in common is they both have coached at Arkansas. 
Exactly right Chico.  +1

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 10, 2016, 02:45:09 pm

LOL

I was being facetious about MA. Good grief but Sutton isn't a first ballot guy either and evidently I am not the only one who believes it. 

k.c.hawg

Don't ever sell short what pretentious voters will do when they look down the resume of someone that seriously injured someone while driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I loved Eddie, traveled all around the country to watch his teams pay. There is no doubt in my mind that he often gets punished for some personal demons.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

maxhog5

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 10, 2016, 10:02:28 pm
Don't ever sell short what pretentious voters will do when they look down the resume of someone that seriously injured someone while driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I loved Eddie, traveled all around the country to watch his teams pay. There is no doubt in my mind that he often gets punished for some personal demons.

Who did Sutton seriously injure?  The other driver received minor injuries and was released from the scene.  He was extremely lucky no one was seriously hurt or killed, but fortunately no one was.  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2329109

k.c.hawg

April 11, 2016, 06:51:59 am #44 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:44:13 am by k.c.hawg
Quote from: maxhog5 on April 10, 2016, 10:42:56 pm
Who did Sutton seriously injure?  The other driver received minor injuries and was released from the scene.  He was extremely lucky no one was seriously hurt or killed, but fortunately no one was.  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2329109

"He hit me once," said Barnard. "He hit me in the rear end. He went up the embankment and he came back down the embankment and hit me again."

Barnard's back was broken in several places and her chest was severely bruised. Barnard sued OSU and won a $175,000 judgement, but says the money is now gone."

"I never seen a penny of the check. Never seen anything. My medical bills are sitting at $400,000. When it stops will be the day that I die," said Barnard.

I suppose she could just be cashing in. However anytime someone suffers injuries in a car accident as a result of someone driving under the influence of alcohol and pain pills it is egregious. Eddie was charged with aggravated DUI.

I personally think this is why he is not in. I don't know that is the reason he has been passed over but I'm having trouble coming up with any other reason because all most every coach with notable NCAA violations are already in......Tarkanian, Calipari, Boeheim, Calhoun.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 11, 2016, 06:51:59 am
"He hit me once," said Barnard. "He hit me in the rear end. He went up the embankment and he came back down the embankment and hit me again."

Barnard's back was broken in several places and her chest was severely bruised. Barnard sued OSU and won a $175,000 judgement, but says the money is now gone. I personally think this is why he isn't in. Every coach of note with 800+ wins is in.

"I never seen a penny of the check. Never seen anything. My medical bills are sitting at $400,000. When it stops will be the day that I die," said Barnard.

I suppose she could just be cashing in. However anytime someone suffers injuries in a car accident as a result of someone driving under the influence of alcohol and pain pills it is egregious. Eddie was charged with aggravated DUI.

I don't know that is the reason he has been passed over but I'm having trouble coming up with any other reason because all most every coach with notable NCAA violations are already in......Tarkanian, Calipari, Boeheim, Calhoun.

If this is what happened, along with the KY shenanigans, he will never get in. Too bad. He is a great coach.

DeltaBoy

Neither did the Winninest HS Basketball Coach in Texas or the Boys Winninest HS Coach.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/high-school/article69829477.html

Coach Hughes for the Boys from FW Dunbar HS
Over all Leta Andrews from Granbury HS who won more games a ladys Coach and any coach

Former Fort Worth Dunbar boys coach Robert Hughes and former Granbury girls coach Leta Andrews are the nation's winningest boys and girls basketball coaches. Richard W. Rodriguez rrodriguez@star-telegram.com

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/high-school/article69829477.html#storylink=cpy
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2016, 08:23:18 am
Neither did the Winninest HS Basketball Coach in Texas or the Boys Winninest HS Coach.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/high-school/article69829477.html

Coach Hughes for the Boys from FW Dunbar HS
Over all Leta Andrews from Granbury HS who won more games a ladys Coach and any coach

Former Fort Worth Dunbar boys coach Robert Hughes and former Granbury girls coach Leta Andrews are the nation's winningest boys and girls basketball coaches. Richard W. Rodriguez rrodriguez@star-telegram.com

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/high-school/article69829477.html#storylink=cpy

Andrews won almost 1500 games but only 1 state championship. Not much controversy there IMO. Hughes has the better case.

bigredone

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 10, 2016, 10:37:16 am
I'm not sure I would call 75 - 20 and two 1st place conference finishes in the first 3 seasons a failure, not even by Kentucky standards.

The 4th year was a disaster, but it seems that was mainly due to losing 3 starters t graduation, 1 early to the NBA, and 2 big recruits because of possible sanctions.

Remember the saying 'they remember November'? No matter how it started, he is remembered for how he left KY and that was a burning wreck.

He is a good coach that hung around for a long time to get his 800. He didn't get there in the fewest seasons. He wasn't the first. That is not a knock on him but to argue he is one of the greatest coaches of all time is pretty funny. He was what he was, a good coach.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bigredone on April 11, 2016, 08:59:59 am
Remember the saying 'they remember November'? No matter how it started, he is remembered for how he left KY and that was a burning wreck.

He is a good coach that hung around for a long time to get his 800. He didn't get there in the fewest seasons. He wasn't the first. That is not a knock on him but to argue he is one of the greatest coaches of all time is pretty funny. He was what he was, a good coach.
He left UK with the core of 4 guys who lost the famous game to Duke in '92.  He left them with the sanctions thanks to Dwayne Casey but he did leave them some talent.